eG Enterprise OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

eG Enterprise is the #18 ranked solution in our list of APM tools. It is most often compared to ControlUp Real-time: eG Enterprise vs ControlUp Real-time

What is eG Enterprise?

eG Enterprise is a fully converged application and infrastructure performance monitoring solution that delivers unparalleled visibility across user experience, business transactions, application performance and the entire supporting infrastructure – physical, cloud or hybrid – all from a single console. Many of the world’s largest enterprise IT deployments rely on eG Enterprise to make monitoring, diagnosis, analytics, and reporting of key IT services fast, simple and complete. eG Enterprise expands any organization’s ability to deliver high service uptime, a great end-user experience, reduced operational costs, efficient IT growth and maximum ROI.

Download the Application Performance Management (APM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

eG Enterprise Customers

20th Century Fox, Allscripts, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Aviva, AXA, Biogen, Cox Communications, Denver Health, eBay, JP Morgan Chase, PayPal, Southern California Edison, Samsung, and many more.

eG Enterprise Video

Archived eG Enterprise Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user790458
Senior Systems Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Quickly showed us what part of the network was down, but UI and dashboards need improvement

• "It gives good insight into inside of what's going on with Exchange."
  • "Dashboards are difficult to create, and not so useful."

How has it helped my organization?

We haven't really had an issue per se, but there was a time when we had some network devices that were down, and eG showed us pretty quickly that that part of the network was down.

What is most valuable?

The Exchange monitoring module. It gives good insight into inside of what's going on with Exchange.

What needs improvement?

One thing that I don't like about eG is like the interface. It's not really that user-friendly to make a change, or to navigate through. It's just not intuitive, in my opinion.

I think the biggest thing would be to make it easier for an admin to go in and make changes. Specifically when there's an alert, to be able to drill through more easily than the way you do it now. For example, when you're looking at something in the interface, the ability to move on to the next item, you can't do it through a right-click, or it's not easy to find how to get to the next step. You have to just know where things are. There are no links to things intuitively.

Specifically, I would say, they need to completely change the look and feel. That's the main thing. The product, for the most part, works. But dashboards are difficult to create, and not so useful. So, look and feel, and then dashboards. And easier to set up. Easier to navigate.

It's a stable product.

No issues with scalability.

I have not yet needed to call tech support.

We had nothing before.

It was very complex. It just took a long time to set up. For whatever reasons, sometimes things wouldn't work in the beginning. And there are so many steps to take. It's just a complex product. To get it to work is not easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that you need a good amount of time to implement the product, so just be patient.

I would give it about a seven out of 10 because of the complexity of making changes, the complexity of setting up, and non-intuitive menus and links.

AR
Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The GUI is nicer than all the other graphical interfaces out there, however it is not easy to configure

• "The GUI is nicer than all the other graphical interfaces out there."
  • "Back-end configuration is not easy to implement."

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to stabilize our backend and middle systems. They had a lot of the predefined things already configured out-of-the-box, so all we did was just enable them and we started using them. It helped us identify a lot of issues.

What is most valuable?

The visibility across the entire Citrix environment. It is important is because to identify issues which users are experiencing and resolve them before those users are impacted.

The GUI is nicer than all the other graphical interfaces out there.

What needs improvement?

It is not easy to configure. It is user-friendly to be used, but to have it configured, you need their help. I can't do it. I can manage it. I know what to do with it, because I am already in there. However, a person who occasionally uses it, I don't think he could use it the same way.

It is user-friendly in two ways. There is user-friendly that uses it, then there is the configuration portion of the application. Sometimes we get an alert, but we do not need these alerts. So you need to go in the environment, and configure the application and tell it to ignore those alerts. That portion is not easy to do.

Back-end configuration is not easy to implement.

Less than one year.

It is a stable. Our database team initially complained that it was occasionally opening too many connections, but I think they eventually solved it.

It can handle a growing amount of work.

I did want to integrate this into our footprint and it resulted in our help desk requesting tickets. I have been told that it works, but it does not. We tried making it work and it does not work.

Many times, I hear that they are their own engineer or their own tech person saying, "Oh, he should not have done that." About another engineer. Obviously, there is more than one way to do things. Then, there were a few occasions that they undid what the previous engineer did.

A few times, it's about finding the right person who knows the answer.

I would rate them as a six out of 10.

We have another product that we use, SolarWinds. However, Citrix is a the main product that we use, so we needed more visibility into a more direct monitoring solution for it. Just to let you know, eG Enterprise is just for monitoring the Citrix environment. We needed a more advanced level of monitoring of Citrix.

They say it takes 40 hours to set it up. It does not take 40 hours. It takes a lot longer to have it set up and running. I would say it takes three times as much to implement this. To get everything set up. My advice is to allow more time.

They gave us a good price, when they were found out we were looking at other products because their price was very high. We were looking at another solution, then we came back to them was because they brought the price down. We selected them for three years.

I evaluated other products as well. Initially, I looked at SolarWinds and Goliath.

What other advice do I have?

I would not buy this product again knowing what I know now. It takes too much time and it is still not where it used to be. It does not have advanced monitoring, but the graphical interface is very nice. We are not a very large environment, and we spent a good amount of money on this, and it did not provide the value that I thought. It does a lot of basic stuff, which it has not been helpful to us. Also, their product requires a lot of attention.

Two things were hindrances in getting this product implemented right away:

• The complicated back-end
  • The tech support not understanding customer questions.
Find out what your peers are saying about eg Innovations, Dynatrace, AppDynamics and others in Application Performance Management (APM). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user770532
Sr. Systems Programmer
We use it to monitor all of our Windows platforms and servers

• "Its ability to monitor failures and to restart a Windows service when it fails."
  • "The interface could be improved as it is not real intuitive. It is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor all of our Windows platforms and servers.

How has it helped my organization?

In my applications, I am just a user of it, I do not install it or modify it. We have a print application, and that print application, if something happens and/or something goes wrong, it will alert us to the problem so we can fix it in a short period of time.

Otherwise, our help desk would be flooded with calls from the users. This way we find that we are alerted to problems before it gets to that point.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to monitor failures and to restart a Windows service when it fails.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved as it is not real intuitive. It is not user-friendly. The interface, you have to get used to it. It takes awhile to get used to their interface and their administration panels.

It is a stable product. No problems.

No issues. It monitors hundreds of servers without a problem.

I would give their tech support a four or five out of 10, because the problem is their tech support is in India. Sometimes it takes time to get back to you and explain the issue. We usually speak with the second tier support.

It came down to how much things cost. At the time, it was very cheap compared to the other products out there.

Its pretty straightforward, but to get down into the lowest levels, it is not intuitive. You have to work at it to sometimes find what you want.

We had training. We had WebExs with them and that did help.

I was not involved in the evaluation, but I am assuming it was a group of products.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of valuable features.

it_user770535
remote access engineering at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Using the product, we can pinpoint what the exact problem is

• "The ability to see what the end user response is, so I can get a better understanding of what the end user is seeing when they connect to the Citrix servers."
  • "Their dashboards could use some improvement. The ability to customize them a bit more."

How has it helped my organization?

The reason we are using this product is because instead of trying to chase down who is causing the problem, for example:

• Is it a networking issue?
  • Is it a software issue?
  • Is it a hardware issue?

Using the product, we can pinpoint what the exact problem is:

• If it is a network issue, we can go directly to the networking team with the information that we have.
  • If it is a software issue, we can go over to the application team, and say listen, it looks like your application is using X amount of RAM and it is causing a burden on the hardware.
  • If it's a hardware issue, we get alerts saying that there is a problem with the hardware and we can bring it over to the hardware team.

So, there is less finger pointing and more problems getting resolved quicker.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Their dashboards could use some improvement. The ability to customize them a bit more. Sometimes, you can't get certain features or things that you want in the dashboard, because they do not exist yet. It's a small piece, but that is one piece that could use improvement.

The dashboards are user-friendly, but you are limited in what you can put on them. So if they could be more customizable, they would be a bit better, but I love the dashboards. In fact, I have lots of people using the dashboards.

It is very stable. If there are issues, I call them up and they fix them right away.

We have thousands of users and have not had issues.

The support is fantastic. It is one of the best supports for a product that we have as an outside product.

The support staff has never been a problem. We have always had top-notch people which have helped us with every piece of the implementation and design.

eG was the first one of this solution to come in.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The vendor team helped us with the setup. They were right there with us holding our hands the entire way. They could not have made it any easier.

It is not expensive.

It was referred to us from somebody in the industry that I worked with for many years. He was like, "You've got to look at this product."

We were having a specific issue. He said, "Take a look at the product." I looked at the product, and it did exactly what he said it does.

What other advice do I have?

Absolutely choose it. It is a great company. They are always available. Even the top people in the company are always willing to answer your questions, even the CEO. I have met him several times, and he is very responsive and open to suggestions.

System Architect at a tech services company
It can give total visibility of the entire infrastructure supporting a Citrix environment

• "Enormous capability to monitor Citrix environments."
  • "Needs to improve the networking monitor capabilities."

How has it helped my organization?

It dramatically reduces the time spent finding the root cause.

What is most valuable?

Enormous capability to monitor Citrix environments.

What needs improvement?

Needs to improve the networking monitor capabilities.

It is important to respect the sizing recommendations.

No, for the moment.

It is the best customer service that I have ever used, They always respond in a few minutes.

Very high.

We tried several solutions, but most of them are incomplete. eG Innovations covers almost all our requirements.

Setup is easy and quick.

We did it alone.

Very high.

They are aligned with other enterprise solutions.

PRTG, SCOM, and vROps.

What other advice do I have?

After trying many products with little satisfaction, we can finally say that we have found the best product on the market to monitor Citrix environments.

This is the only product that can give total visibility of the entire infrastructure supporting a Citrix environment, from storage and hypervisor via the Active Directory (AD) to getting to the detail of the individual user's session.
We were then very surprised to check the depth and effectiveness of information related to other environments, such as SQL, Oracle databases, or storage (like NetApp).

It has very powerful, real-time dashboards and extensive reporting available.

it_user758241
Expert Technical Support Consultant at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
We have asked odd requests of support and they have always come through for us, cutting down our workload

• "The most important feature is the ability to design, then implement monitoring tests on the fly as we are adapting to different situations."
  • "I can understand why they designed the user interface (UI) the way they did, but sometimes in the management of the eG Manager, it can be a bit clunky."

How has it helped my organization?

We use eG Managers to monitor many different clients with various degrees of complexity. Using the features and capabilities available, we can spot trends, provide near instantaneous feedback to our clients, and in about as close to 70% of situations are able to resolve an issue before it becomes a problem.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is the ability to design, then implement monitoring tests on the fly as we are adapting to different situations. For the most part, we can have a new test in place reporting data in as little as 10 minutes, depending on its complexity.

What needs improvement?

There have been no issues with stability. The Manager and monitoring agents on the target servers run consistently.

There have been no issues with scalability.

The support we get from eG Innovations is truly outstanding. They understand our environment, what we are using the product for, and our situation. They have always responded quickly, and provide the right assistance when needed. We have asked odd requests and they have always come through for us, cutting down our workload. I can’t praise them enough.

What other advice do I have?

It is very sturdy and reliable.

We are currently upgrading all managers to 6.2.

CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Monitors all seven layers of OSI model, giving us visibility across all hardware and all applications

• "The auto-configuration or auto-Thresholding is very important because it saves a phenomenal amount of labor and setup costs and time."

How has it helped my organization?

There was a specific problem that I was having where my technical staff was telling me that I had to buy new servers. Our business model depends on subscribing users at a certain rate or level per server. If I can't jam 50 people onto one server, my business model wouldn't work. And we got stuck at 25 and we couldn't figure out why. Why was the server slow? Why could we not get more on there?

Using eG, we were able to figure out that it was actually a disk problem. The disk itself was overloaded. Imagine, on these cloud platforms that we've built, these are very complicated platforms. There's thousands of moving parts. Somebody calls up and says it's slow, there are so many variables that you can't do it without a tool like eG. We narrowed it down, using eG, to the hard disk and within that, we narrowed it down to the fact that one type of traffic was very high. And eG told us all that in, like, four clicks.

We put a technician on site, we opened up the server, and we discovered that the battery for the write cache controller was not plugged in. The write cache controller dramatically affects disk performance. We didn't know it wasn't plugged in. It looked like it was plugged in, and because we plugged it back in, we avoided a $20,000 purchase on new servers. We would not have found the problem without eG. That's one example.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's end-to-end monitoring; it goes across all seven layers of OSI model, so the physical transport, the hardware layer, and the application layer and everything in between. That's very important to us, giving us visibility across all hardware and all applications.

What needs improvement?

I've been working with them a long time and the ones that I've asked for, they've done.

It'd be nice if the price was lower. That would be an improvement.

It's very stable. One of the risks when you're installing software in a multi-tenant environment - we're a high-availability platform where there's thousands of users. If you make a mistake or the installation program crashes the server, or you have to have a maintenance window to install it because it requires a reboot; all of those factors make a software package less attractive. Disrupting thousands of people can be very difficult and very painful.

With eG, if I need to install the monitoring agent on a server, I do not have to do a reboot, and because I've installed eG agent probably 600 or 700 times, I'm very confident that it will not be intrusive and that it's not going to cause a problem for the customer's environment or for our environment when we install it. We don't have to declare a maintenance window to do any work with eG. It's transparent and that's a result of it being very stable.

I'm not aware of the limits. It's very scalable.

Their tech support people were awesome; they got us up and running in about a day.

I've called them many times over the years. They're some of the smartest guys I know in the business; a lot of respect for them. I know the owner. I've met him, Srinivas. He was a former scientist with HPE. He's co-authored something like 14 patents. Their head of technology support, Bala, I've met in person several times. These guys were all around the core of the company when it started.

Since then, I don't frequently talk to them in person anymore because the company has grown, but the staff that they've brought in have been very, very good. The guys are very intelligent. Never had an issue with them not knowing what to do.

When I started researching the market, I found that there was a lot of high-end "800-pound gorilla" products that were very expensive, and they should come with a consultant in the box. Things like HPE OpenView, for example, take a phenomenal amount of setup effort and cost, and they're expensive. They're several hundred thousand dollars, just to buy. And you have the low-end products, like WhatsUp Gold; it does some basics but it doesn't give you some of the features that eG does. eG was right in the middle. It was priced right.

It's very simple. Takes less than five minutes.

I had multiple choices and I evaluated several other products, including HPE OpenView, Microsoft System Center. It was Microsoft System Center which we probably could've gotten for free because we're a Microsoft Gold Partner. I also looked into another one from IBM. The name escapes me at the moment.

We evaluated several.

What other advice do I have?

To get the value out of eG, you have to embrace it fully, from end to end, and you have to abide by or deal with the alerts or the alarms as they arise. eG forces you to become a better search provider, or maintain a higher level of quality within your platform, or within your IT.

Because it gives you visibility that you can't have without it, you're able to see problems much more clearly, sometimes before they affect users. And the worst thing you can do with any alerting software or monitoring software: when something goes red, don't ignore it. Deal with the alarms and alerts as they arise and strive for the "three nines" or the "four nines" of normal performance.

It delivers a huge amount of value and most people don't understand that. The people that haven't done the research or tried another product, like we have, don't get it.

Your choices, as a customer or consumer, would be the low-end stuff for a few hundred dollars - and you get very limited output. Or you spend half a million dollars on the product, just on licensing, and maybe another $250,000 on consulting fees to implement it, and you'd be left with a product that's still not as good as eG.

You can implement eG for probably $50,000, $60,000, depending on the size of your infrastructure. And it's all about value. It's all about bang for your buck. It delivers at a much higher level for the money than anything else out there. It has for a long time.

it_user703986
    IT Infrastructure Manager at GSF
    User
    Monitors infrastructure elements from a single console

• "EG monitors all infrastructure elements (all OS, all database, storage, network, and web server) from a single console."
    • "would like to see improvements in the alarm display console."

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is so simple to administer that we did not need a dedicated administrator. All system, network, and security administrators can configure the infrastructure elements.

What is most valuable?

EG monitors all infrastructure elements (all OS, all database, storage, network, and web server) from a single console. The configuration of the supervision is very simple.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the alarm display console. To date, you must click on an alarm to see all of the associated alarms for an element type. This was as simple and statistical as visualization, if all the alarms were visible without having to click on them.

There were no stability issues.

The support of the eG editor supports the upgrades of the versions and the participation is always good.

Customer service is very fast and efficient.

Technical service is very fast and efficient.

We used Nagios before. Nagios requires a lot of time to go through to configure the items to monitor. Nagios does not allow us to supervise specific systems. For example, we can't supervise F5 and Unix AIX. We can do this with this solution.

The setup was very simple.

We implemented via a supplier. It was an average job, and this company closed. This is the main issue for us. There is no expert supplier of the solution in France. This does not allow us to use all the functionality of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that you choose the eG Manager solution! Buy it now!

Technical Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Topology view provides a visual representation of a service and quickly allows identification of errors or degraded performance.

• "The topology view which provides a visual representation of a service and quickly allows identification of errors or degraded performance."
    • "The UI looks a little dated and could do with a refresh."

How has it helped my organization?

An end-to-end view of infrastructure performance and the end-user experience greatly improves the responsiveness of IT, increases system availability, and improves user satisfaction.

What is most valuable?

The ability to diagnose issues directly from the alert screen is very valuable because it quickly leads to the root cause of performance issues.

What needs improvement?

The UI looks a little dated and could do with a refresh.

Some minor scalability issues have been seen but product tuning by eG resolved these issues.

Customer service and support are superb.

Customer service and support are superb.

We evaluated four solutions which specialise in Citrix monitoring and chose the product which provided the greatest depth of visibility and ease of use.

Initial setup and configuration are quite straightforward. Like all monitoring and alerting solutions, some effort is required to tune the product for optimal results.

The implementation was done in-house with assistance from eG support. As noted above, eG support is excellent.

ROI has not yet been calculated.

If using eG for virtual desktops, carefully calculate whether per named user, per concurrent user, or per server (for XenApp/RDS) is the most cost effective licensing model.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are both a customer and a partner of eG Innovations.
    it_user649290
    User
    The reporter and user session details features are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Reporter User session details Monitor Citrix user

How has it helped my organization?

Logon Timeouts Problems with Citrix Session in History View

What needs improvement?

Citrix XenApp

I have used it for 60 days.

We have not encountered any deployment issues. All works fine.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

Excellent level of support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Optimizing the user experience.

What's my experience with pricing, setup

What is most valuable?

• Reporter
    • User session details
    • Monitor
    • Citrix user

How has it helped my organization?

• Logon Timeouts
    • Problems with Citrix Session in History View

What needs improvement?

• Citrix XenApp

I have used it for 60 days.

We have not encountered any deployment issues. All works fine.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

Excellent level of support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

Optimizing the user experience.

Speak with the sales department!

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

it_user553338
    Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    It provides in-depth Citrix stack visibility.

• "Single pane of glass to review status of the full environment."
    • "Application TCP latency is an area with room for improvement, but I believe this is already on the roadmap."

How has it helped my organization?

• Improved logon times due to specific GPO shortcuts that were timing out.
    • Maintains overall performance, as it is now closely monitored through dashboards. IT now don't have to find the issue; they just check the eG Console and then resolve any alerts.

What is most valuable?

• Single pane of glass to review status of the full environment.
    • In-depth visibility into the Citrix stack
    • Overall end-to-end service.

What needs improvement?

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is fantastic!! They are very responsive and always follow up to ensure a solution has been provided.

eG seem to take ownership of any raised issue, even if it is not on their side. They will assist and escalate internally to get the correct level of technical support for the individual call.

PRTG was offered as a managed service through a service provider; limited visibility and in some cases NO visibility for certain infrastructure servers / hypervisors.

Citrix visibility was very basic then, too (OS only). Only about 1/3rd of the company was being monitored, so when a fault did occur, we still had to try to work out where it was.

It was good to know there was a problem, but it didn't assist us in finding it! eG now does both and we cover visibility across all tiers of the infrastructure.

Initial setup was straightforward; most of the complexity was trying to get visibility of the SAN storage. It turned out the model of EMC we used didn't have built-in CLI capabilities. eG Support kindly pointed this out.

You may get some monitoring products with certain licensing you may own. Some of these can take ages to configure and setup, along with needing a license to drive the software. Once you start down this path, then other limitations of visibility can creep in that make you then look for ANOTHER product to fill the gap. Before you know it, you are managing five different monitoring products, flooding you with alarms. Think ahead and plan for a single-pane monitoring solution now.

What other advice do I have?

If you want directions and can work a compass, then buy a compass. Otherwise, get a GPS and throw away the map book!! Go eG Enterprise!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Having seen the capabilities of eG Enterprise at various clients, I consult too. We now run a separate company (eGSolutions) and are the reseller of and support eG Enterprise for NZ and Australia markets.
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Originally posted at https://www.robbeekmans.net/uncategorized/eg-innovations-citrix-improvements/ eG Innovations – Citrix improvements Boy have I been overdue with this blog, I’m sure it is over a month that I gotten the information about an upcoming change with eG Enterprise. At first I couldn’t share the information, NDA and so on, but after that ship sailed I kind got busy with other things… Today I got a question about eG and possibilities there, so I logged on and bam I got hit in the face with the new features… So here it is the long long over due article about eG innovations. eG Innovations First a quick introduction for those not familiar with eG. eG Innovations brings to the market a end-to-end monitoring product. Their solutions shows severity of…

eG Innovations – Citrix improvements

eG Innovations

First a quick introduction for those not familiar with eG. eG Innovations brings to the market a end-to-end monitoring product. Their solutions shows severity of issues in relation to other components in a layered model. Read my previous blog to learn more, one of them is found here.

Version 6.1

So let’s see what version 6.1 brings you for Citrix improvements, I think you like it.

• There are several new features;
    • Deep visibility into the Citrix logon process
    • Monitoring Netscaler sessions
    • Monitor Netscalers by syslog
    • Monitor XenMobile v10
    • Real user monitoring for Web applications
    • There are more enhancements in version 6.1 but let me write about that in another blog and keep this Citrix focused.

Logon process

Back in the Citrix Edgesight days we had that cool report, with the Enterprise license, that showed the breakdown of the user logon process. In Citrix Director those metrics are also available per user grouped in the console for the last three sessions.
    Citrix director gives a nice basic overview but nothing like that cool Edgesight report. With version 6.1, eG Enterprise is showing all those cool metrics that you once had in the report.

• High level logon process information
    • Client side startup times
    • Server side startup time

The high level logon process information will show you exactly what Citrix Director is also showing, that is the logon duration in total, the profile load, the group policy processing duration and the logon script execution duration.

It show enough for basic troubleshooting but sometime you want more.

If you want more we look at the different metrics like the Client start-up metrics.
    how long did it take for the ICA file to download to the client, how long did it take for the client to load the Citrix storefront page, Is you DNS name resolution having issues.
    That kind of data is valuable, every week I have a meeting with customer where they are how can we monitor from the client to the server so that we can solve issues a employee has.

If the client side is load fast and there are no issues there perhaps the server side is having issues. So metrics like how long did it take to pass credentials or how long did it take to create printers… those are metrics that will give you insight in what is happening.

Application launch

Sometimes logon is fine everything works fine but the user is complaining that it takes ages to get a desktop. What we see often is that users automatically start applications at logon and what if those applications are slow to load, that would slow down your perception of the desktop logon process. So we need to dive into that.

Per application you will see the average time it took to launch the application and the maximum time it does. Of course you can see these numbers also in reports and so on.

So troubleshooting will show you information over time and you can find out whether it was a one time hickup or something that is building up over time.

Framehawk

Citrix bought Framehawk a while back and for certain use cases Framehawk is a solution. The New version of eG now has next to the default Citrix monitoring a new section dedicated to Framehawk monitoring, so can see the Framerate, network bandwidth, latency and network loss. The last one is very interesting working with Framehawk for that would prove it’s doing it’s job.

GPU Monitoring

The boys of eG have been busy it seems, the also added GPU monitoring to the new version.  So now you can monitor the GPU in a host, XenServer and vSphere, not he host itself or at the vm where you add the GPU.

This will help you solve issues and see if there are enough GPU resources available for your virtual machines and for your users.

• Monitor latency to user end point
    • Integration with Netscaler HDX insight
    • Monitoring Netscaler sessions
    • Monitor Netscalers by syslog
    • Monitor XenMobile v10
    • Real user monitoring for Web applications

Monitor latency to the user end point

When looking at latency the issue always is whether it is a client side issue or a network issue. Users working on remote location will always be caught up with IT guys saying you Internet provider connection is slow or crappy that’s why the session is bad.

Now you can compare the screen refresh latency to the network latency and see if they align, more data to build you opinion on and more triggers to give alerts to show something is going wrong.

Integration with Netscaler insight

In version 6.1, perhaps not such a small announcement, also the integration with Netscaler HDX insight is there. This broaden and deepens you visibility in the Citrix session of a user.

When you setup a end to end visibility now you have the visibility from one console all adding up for you to monitor, Much more user friendly than the Citrix Director console is offering.

There are more cool metrics to show there but that’s for you to find out. Version 6.1 also offers to monitor the syslog of the Netscalers so that next to the user session details you will also see the details of the Netscaler device itself and how it is preforming.

XenMobile 10

• Status of devices
    • Devices hosting blacklisted applications
    • Jail-broken devices
    • Perimeter breaching devices
    • Out of of compliant devices

It’s a vast list of enhancements for XenMobile 10 in eG Enterprise version 6.1. Hope this will also come for other vendors like AirWatch.

Last but not least, Real user monitoring for web applications.

Real user monitoring for web applications

eG used to have an emulated monitoring solution where you can create a flow to start an app and do things there. That would give you an insight in how transactions etc. would run and you could see if there were delays.
    Now they bring to market real user monitoring, They monitor where users connect from, how long certain actions take and will report that in a nice dashboard.

If you are in web apps business or your company expands several countries this might be very handy even for a Citrix environment alone. You can now see which users from which countries or cities are having load issues and where you traffic is coming from.

I hope this quick overview of version 6.1 of eG innovation Enterprise gives a nice insight in what they offer today, visit them at https://eginnovations.com to find out more.

Look out for my next blog about the new version of ControlUP another cool monitoring product and did you read up already about all the VMware Horizon 7 announcements I made earlier?? Good times ahead when all these vendors keep adding the good stuff to their products

Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ​End-to-end performance monitoring, diagnosis and reporting tool for virtualized application infrastructures
    I have used eG Enterprise from eG Innovations in a few projects recently. Found it to be very easy to use. Set up is real easy - predefined models made my job very simple. Very deep visibility particularly into the Citrix application suite. The tool has a lot of breadth - it monitors all your typical enterprise applications (web, databases, java, email, etc.). Also can monitor virtual platforms.  I found the reporting capabilities of the tool very useful - particularly when I had to present reports to my customer demonstrating where problems had happened in the past. Overall, recommend this to any consultant or enterprise looking for a simple and elegant monitoring tool. http://www.eginnovations.com

Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Mobile version will allow us to drill down to any metric or measurement as you would be able to in the real system. Now we just have to implement end to end monitoring to be able to use this tool.
    In my last review I wrote about the new version of eG Enteprise emerging at VMworld. Since then the folks at eG Innovations haven't been doing nothing. One thing they did was release a mobile app to take your monitoring with you.  In a world where our office is the world we need access to our data in different ways, our users rely on a highly available environment and they don't care if you are in New York, London or Amsterdam. With the eG app you can monitor your environment from just there and take action when required. Read about what I think about the mobile app.. Mobile app So lets assume you are a Citrix administrator and you're dying to know, all day long, what the launch time is for your end users. First install the eG App on your iOS or Android device... Google App store…

Read about what I think about the mobile app..

Mobile app

First install the eG App on your iOS or Android device...
    Google App store : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eG.eGinnovation&hl=en
    Apple store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egmonitor-app/id931348922?ls=1&mt=8

Like many apps you get the push question and of course with monitoring you want push notifications.
    So click on Yes and head on to the data.

Once you logged on to your environment you will see all components that you have configured in your eG Innovations environment. Instantly you see the Green/Yellow/Red or Blue signs that give a clear status. Something is going on with Storefront and the emulated client. The emulated client is a process to test the connectivity on a regular bases so you know when something is wrong with connecting to your Citrix desktop.

As I said there is something wrong with Storefront, so let's click on that one and dive in. There is one Storefront server configured and it's giving issues. So let's take a look.

The issue we are seeing is with the Storefront services and so we have to go deeper and deeper in the system. Think about this, your have to watch a daft TV show with your wife and your are actually deep diving in your environment solving an issue, how cool is that... I just saved you evening, who cares about The voice of, this is our interest.

The last one we get to is Common resources, once we open that we see the real issue... okay I won't stop you with a lot of text, go on.

The Common resources are the measurements like ICA Lauch call, Average time and that kind of stuff. Very interesting for the averages have to be low enough to keep your end users happy.

When we click on the ICA Launch average time we see a graph that show the averages over a period of time. You can specify the time period from 1hr to 12hrs, so you can troubleshoot and see if the issue was there before or just appeared.

When extending it to 3hrs you see the graph like here below. Of course the troubleshooting doesn't stop here, from here you would go to the emulated client and see which step in the process is doing this. I think for now you have a good idea of what is possible.

As you can see you can drill down to any metric or measurement as you would be able to in the real system, just now you can do this from you couch on your mobile phone.

I think eG Innovations has created a nifty tool to make our lives a lot easier, now we just have to implement end to end monitoring to be able to use this tool.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Disclaimer: Despite me actually using this tool to monitor our own demo center (PQR Experience Center) I have to tell yu I'm not a standard customer but a partner of eG Innovation. Still the tool speaks for itself I think :)
    eG Enterprise version 6 coming out at VMworld - a preview
    Okay for who is unfamiliar with eG Innovations a quick introduction, eG innovations is focused on a intelligent performance management solution. Their solution offers an end-to-end monitoring solution for virtual, cloud and physical environments. Their layered structure gives a fast and clear view on what is going on. New look So let's take a look at the new look of eG Innovations. I know they have been working hard on this for a while and I was pleasantly surprised when they showed it to me. Let's just jump in straight away and show you the new main interface. You will see this dashboard when you log on. It's a fresh and clear dashboard for me, much better than the old one. At the top of the dashboard you see the different health status of your environment. The big…

New look

It's a fresh and clear dashboard for me, much better than the old one. At the top of the dashboard you see the different health status of your environment. The big difference is that the infrastructure screen and the status screens have been converted. The focus of the screen is much better now, in the old version there was to much going on. First thing you see it the status bar.

The status bar shows how much percentage of the total environment is healthy and will show per severity the percentage. It's a good start to see the overall health, it shouldn't be to far from 95-99% to often I think otherwise you're in trouble.

The old infrastructure overview got a overhaul as well. the components, zones and services are shown in a clear manner showing also the issues with the components at the same time.

In the old version many things were text lines you had to click on and here it's more like a modern graphical interface, well done I have to say.

One last thing about the top bars, the right bar will give a quick overview of what you are monitoring, the number of measurements and components. If the number of measurements is very low something is wrong with your configuration.

Service topology

Let's take a look at Service topology.

Clicking on Service in the main screen will show the services you have configured in the main screen.

Here we have two services configured, a website and pnc_trading. Let's take a look at pnc_trading.

Clicking on pnc_trading we will see how this service is configured. The service is built up from a number of actions, accessing the desktop, performing trade and so on. In this screen you will see the response time of an action and a graph with the historical response times as well as availability.

When we click on Topology we will see the relation between the components, building this map allows you to set the relationship between components. A relationship can be that one component connects to the other or that one uses the other. The map gives a good overview of all components and by clicking on them you are taken right to that components.

Read the full review here.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: PQR B.V. - we're partners with eG Innovations
    Download our free Application Performance Management (APM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about eg Innovations, Dynatrace, AppDynamics, and more!