MM
Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Enables me to share dashboards with different people with different levels of access

• "I value the feature that allows me to share the dashboards to different people with different levels of access."
  • "Ratio aggregation is not supported in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a data scientist and we're a customer of ELK. We use the solution for multiple projects, mainly based around customer analytics.

What is most valuable?

I value the feature that allows me to share dashboards with different people with different levels of access. They can perform their own queries, like adjusting the time filter or hitting some other filters. It's very useful.

What needs improvement?

In terms of product improvement, ratio aggregation is not supported in this solution. I can do aggregations, but taking a ratio of two metrics is not supported. That's a common use case that I have come across. And if I want to do bulk coding then that's something that is not very convenient. I would like those things to be included in the next version.

I've been using this solution for three years.

Occasionally when you're handling large data you get some out of memory exceptions from time to time. It happens when you're doing pairing. Sometimes a few shots will fail. These are all typically when you're doing things on cloud on a large scale they tend happen.

It's a scalable solution. For now, we have about 10 users and we plan to increase that number. We use it regularly.

I haven't needed to contact technical support. The forums are pretty good and most of the things that I need to ask are already answered so no need for support. The documentation and forums were enough.

I haven't used other solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took about an hour. I did the setup myself. Some others also did it themselves and we had developers who put it up in the cloud for the others.

We are currently using the Open Source version, so we didn't need to offset any licensing. For now, it's just the cost of maintaining the server.

Our tech team did the research and I don't know if there were other options considered.

What other advice do I have?

You can test the product for your use case on their user free trial, they offer a seven or 14-day free trial, You can put it up on cloud and just push your data to check if your use cases are being handled or not. It's a quick test of the waters.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
SK
Senior Consultant at sectecs
Stable with reasonable technical support, but it should be easier to use

• "It's a stable solution and we have not had any issues."
  • "It should be easier to use. It has been getting better because many functions are pre-defined, but it still needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it to get some hands-on experience and learn the product by searching, building use cases, test cases, dashboards, and visualizations.

With hands-on experience, you learn more about the product and how it works.

What needs improvement?

If you have a large enterprise environment, it is costing a lot of money and it's not a full-blown SIEM. It has SIEM features but a lot is missing. You need to involve other products to make a SIEM out of it.

Some of the other products needed were Apache, Kafka, and ticket tools. It was custom made and not what I had expected in the end.

I would like to see them get closer to a full-blown orchestrated SIEM, and create predefined modules to bring you to using it as a SIEM faster, and on the fly instead of having to tweak the Grok filter for weeks.

I would like to see more pre-defined modules.

I have been using Elasticsearch for two weeks.

We are not using the latest version, but not an old version.

It's a stable solution and we have not had any issues.

The scalability is fine.

I have contacted technical support, once or twice. The experience was okay.

The initial setup was okay, not as easy as Splunk but it was manageable.

The pricing model is questionable and needs to be addressed because when you would like to have the security they charge per machine. If you are building any cluster and you are paying €6,000 per machine, that is expensive.

I think that Elasticsearch is a good product and cheaper than Splunk.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution, but it has too much hands-on time required tweaking to get it up and running.

I have no plans to continue using this product. Currently, I am focused on SIEMonster because I signed a partnership and I would like to sell a total product. It doesn't make sense to spread across multiple products.

I would like to earn money out of it, so I'm focusing currently on SIEMonster.

I think that Elasticsearch is a good product and cheaper than Splunk.

When I check Gartner, I don't see mention of Elasticsearch, it seems they need to make some improvements.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about ELK Elasticsearch. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Fares Zgheib
Lead Software Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up with good text indexing and logging features, but it needs to be more user-friendly

• "The most valuable features are the ease and speed of the setup."
  • "Kibana should be more friendly, especially when building dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for text indexing and aggregating logs from different microservices.

What is most valuable?

-Scalability and resiliency

-Clustering and high availability

-Automatic node recovery

What needs improvement?

Kibana should be more friendly, especially when building dashboards.

Stability needs improvement.

I would like to see the Kibana operating more smoothly, as Grafana does. Also, I would like to see some improvements with the machine learning capability, so that we can rely on it more. It's in the early phases but this would be a great way to start using it.

When it comes to aggregation and calculations, I would like to have to have advanced options in the dashboards to be used in a simplified way, such as building formulas and queries between different fields and indexes.

Alerting feature should be more flexible with advanced options.

I have been using Elasticsearch for approximately five years.

This solution is stable, but at times the stack will freeze and you have to remove and recreate the cluster. It may be an issue related to AWS.

We have not had any issues with the scalability.

We have not had any issues with technical support.

Datadog, it's expensive when it comes for a big infrastructure and cannot be self hosted when it comes to specific sensitive cases.

The initial setup was fast. We have the provisioning, which made it fast and easy.

It can be expensive. When managed by AWS you have different options and features that are locked and not available to you on the Kibana and security levels.

You cannot use the full X-Pack feature set when you go through AWS.

What other advice do I have?

We have some devices that are managed by AWS and we have our own information with switches that are self-hosted.

ELK Elasticsearch is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Ayesha Imtiaz
Senior Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A very good product with good visualizations and stability

• "I really like the visualization that you can do within it. That's really handy. Product-wise, it is a very good and stable product."
  • "They should improve its documentation. Their official documentation is not very informative. They can also improve their technical support. They don't help you much with the customized stuff. They also need to add more visuals. Currently, they have line charts, bar charts, and things like that, and they can add more types of visuals. They should also improve the alerts. They are not very simple to use and are a bit complex. They could add more options to the alerting system."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using it for monitoring. It is used for server monitoring.

What is most valuable?

I really like the visualization that you can do within it. That's really handy. Product-wise, it is a very good and stable product.

What needs improvement?

They should improve its documentation. Their official documentation is not very informative. They can also improve their technical support. They don't help you much with the customized stuff.

They also need to add more visuals. Currently, they have line charts, bar charts, and things like that, and they can add more types of visuals.

They should also improve the alerts. They are not very simple to use and are a bit complex. They could add more options to the alerting system.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Stability-wise, it is very good. Once the data starts coming in, it is very stable. I didn't find any big glitches in it.

We contacted their technical support once. I didn't find them very good. They are there just to provide documentation and stuff. They don't help you much with the customized stuff. They could improve that. I would rate them a two out of five.

It is complex because it is not Windows-based. It is Linux-based, so one must know Linux to deploy it properly. It is not a product that you can install with just multiple clicks. You need to understand it.

It seems good in terms of return on investment. It is a monitoring solution, and it triggers alerts before something happens. For example, it triggers an alert when the space in Windows reaches an 80% limit. I would say it is a good investment. We are able to fix things before they go wrong. If we didn't have Elasticsearch, things would go wrong, and we would be spending more time fixing them later on.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to first know Linux because it would most probably be on Linux. If you're good at Linux, you will be good at this as well.

I would rate ELK Elasticsearch an eight out of ten.

HimanshuTejwani
System Administrator and DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Has a good UI with good performance although deployment requires multiple applications

• "The UI is very nice, and performance wise it's quite good too."
  • "The different applications need to be individually deployed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for monitoring our logs and infrastructure. We are customers of ELK and I'm a system administrator.

What is most valuable?

A positive feature of ELK is that it directly interacts with Elasticsearch. The UI is very nice, and performance wise it's quite good too. A key feature is that this is a reasonably priced monitoring solution.

What needs improvement?

We run this solution on multiple servers. ELK has three lanes which comprise a single package made up of Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana. To my mind, this is not efficient because we have to individually deploy the different applications. In contrast, we're able to deploy Splunk with a singe application. Implementing the dashboards is also quite difficult. With Splunk and Nagios it's much easier to directly interact with Elasticsearch. I'd like to see some additional features in the front end which currently make it a bit difficult to implement and it should be simplified.

I've been using this solution for six months.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable solution, we have eight to 10 users. We had initially planned to expand use of ELK because of its cheap price and the services that are included, but given the difficulty with implementation we've decided to go with Nagios instead.

The technical support people are very knowledgeable but the response time is quite slow which is not very good.

The initial setup of ELK is more difficult than the setup of other monitoring applications. I was able to carry out the deployment alone.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking to implement a monitoring product with almost no cost or at a cheaper price, I would suggest the ELK stack. However, it does require a high skill set because of the difficulty with implementation.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

VM
Technical Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
A search and analytics engine that's very fast, but the price could be better

• "I like how it allows us to connect to Kafka and get this data in a document format very easily. Elasticsearch is very fast when you do text-based searches of documents. That area is very good, and the search is very good."
  • "The price could be better. Kibana has some limitations in terms of the tablet to view event logs. I also have a high volume of data. On the initialization part, if you chose Kibana, you'll have some limitations. Kibana was primarily proposed as a log data reviewer to build applications to the viewer log data using Kibana. Then it became a virtualization tool, but it still has limitations from a developer's point of view."

What is our primary use case?

Elasticsearch is one of the NoSQL databases available. My application is a microservices application where the data gets published on a Kafka cube. It allows us to connect to Kafka and get this data in a document format very easily. I'm using Elasticsearch as my backend processing database, where I'm building and reporting using Kibana.

What is most valuable?

I like how it allows us to connect to Kafka and get this data in a document format very easily. Elasticsearch is very fast when you do text-based searches of documents. That area is very good, and the search is very good.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. Kibana has some limitations in terms of the tablet to view event logs. I also have a high volume of data. On the initialization part, if you chose Kibana, you'll have some limitations. Kibana was primarily proposed as a log data reviewer to build applications to the viewer log data using Kibana. Then it became a virtualization tool, but it still has limitations from a developer's point of view.

I have been using ELK Elasticsearch over the last two years.

The price could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that they have to locate the data source and understand the data. They will have to decide on whether they have to go for a NoSQL or a relational database.

If it's NoSQL, then what kind of data are you seeing? If it's more textual data, then you're going to read more. So, I would recommend Elasticsearch. Otherwise, you have other databases like MongoDB and Cassandra.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give ELK Elasticsearch a seven.

Sudeera Mudugamuwa
Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reliable, open-source, with good community support, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We use ELK Elasticsearch for storing application data logs.

What is most valuable?

Elasticsearch includes a graphical user interface (GUI) called Kibana. The GUI features are extremely beneficial to us.

What needs improvement?

Elasticsearch includes mechanisms for ingesting data into the cluster. So it would be great if those mechanisms could be simplified. Improving machine learning capabilities would be beneficial.

I have been working with ELK Elasticsearch for four years. We are using the latest version.

We have no issues with the stability of ELK Elasticsearch, it's quite reliable.

What is our primary use case?

We use ELK Elasticsearch for storing application data logs.

What needs improvement?

Improving machine learning capabilities would be beneficial.

I have been working with ELK Elasticsearch for four years.

We are using the latest version.

We have no issues with the stability of ELK Elasticsearch, it's quite reliable.

ELK Elasticsearch is a scalable product

This solution is used by five to ten people in our organization.

ELK Elasticsearch is used on a daily basis.

We have not contacted technical support.

We had a couple of issues that we were able to resolve by looking up the public information that is available on the internet.

There is a lot of community support for this solution.

The initial setup was straightforward and quite simple.

The installation took between six and eight hours to complete.

There is no maintenance required other than regular updates.

We completed the implementation internally.

Although the ELK Elasticsearch software is open-source, we buy the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

The distributed installation is the way to go.

I would rate ELK Elasticsearch a nine out of ten.

Kumar Mahadevan
IT Infrastructure Analyst at AG Group
Powerful, graphical, good customer support and full featured

• "You have dashboards, it is visual, there are maps, you can create canvases. It's more visual than anything that I've ever used."
  • "I have not been using the solution for many years to know exactly the improvements needed. However, they could simplify how the YML files have to be structured properly."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this product for a SIM solution.

What is most valuable?

Their anomaly detection engine is really good for example, compared to SolarWinds. You can ingest different pipelines. You have dashboards, it is visual, there are maps, you can create canvases. It's more visual than anything that I've ever used.

What needs improvement?

I have not been using the solution for many years to know exactly the improvements needed. However, they could simplify how the YML files have to be structured properly. If you want to ingest certain logs, you need to edit the YML file and connect it to your modules to start ingesting and parsing the end-user logs. Doing this is sometimes difficult and could be streamlined.

I have been using the product for approximately three months.

The customer service is very good.

I have used SolarWinds in the past.

What other advice do I have?

The solution has a lot of features. They have machine learning jobs they can implement, I'm not there yet, but I can use anomaly detection to see there are various processes that can find users that aren't supposed to log onto certain machines. All of these features are visual and graphical. I can show it as a bar chart, a pie chart, I can Instagram, or I can split chart. The power to see everything on the front end is so much more powerful.

I rate ELK Elasticsearch a ten out of ten.