MA
Junior System Engineer at Efficom-lille
Enables us to retrieve data from various servers and sources so we can detect errors

• "I use the stack every morning to check the errors and it's just so clear. I don't see any disadvantage to using Logstash."
  • "One thing they could add is a quick step to enable users who don't have a solid background to build a dashboard and quickly search, without difficulty."

What is our primary use case?

We use Logstash to retrieve data from our servers, from different sources, to our Elastic Stack. There, Elastic Search allows us to search it, and we can visualize the data with Kibana.

What is most valuable?

I use the stack every morning to check the errors and it's just so clear. I don't see any disadvantage to using Logstash.

What needs improvement?

Our system architect has noticed a slowdown of the solution, but I don't see a slowdown.

One thing they could add is a quick step to enable users who don't have a solid background to build a dashboard and quickly search, without difficulty.

We have been using Elastic Stack for about three years.

The solution is stable. We also monitor the Elastic Stack health and it's been a while since we have had an issue. The stability doesn't cause any problems. It's good. We haven't had any major issues.

For now, we haven't had any problems. I'm just a user. I'm not the one responsible for the total solution. I use Kibana for the dashboard to detect any errors in our servers.

But for the future, perhaps we will need to scale our solution because we deploy new components and we implement new servers on Azure.

The solution is maintained by dedicated architects who provide us with a solid platform. There is no direct support from Elastic Stack. We don't have any issue or any problem which requires support.

I'm a system engineer. The architects who set up these solutions did it before I worked here.

I learned how to use it by doing searches and finding information about it.  I learned to use it very quickly. The documentation is very simple to use, as long as you have some technical background in computers.

Elastic Stack is an open-source tool. You don't have to pay anything for the components.

What other advice do I have?

Think carefully about how you will build the solution so that it is a high-availability solution. That is the trick when using Elastic Stack. Examine what your needs are.

I would rate Logstash at eight out of 10. I think the solution is really complete, with the components it has. It is a good solution.

MarioReale
Cloud Engineer at GARR
A stable solution for collecting authentication information from service providers

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to collect authentication information from service providers."
  • "Anything that supports high availability or ease of deployment in a highly available environment would help to improve this solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is to gather authentication information and use it to determine which identity provider is breaking on which service provider. We store it as anonymized session information for each user.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Configuring the server is difficult and can be improved.

I would like to have a high availability set up that is easy to configure. Anything that supports high availability or ease of deployment in a highly available environment would help to improve this solution.

I had been using Logstash for about three years. I am no longer using it but the people that I used to work with are.

We did not have any issues in terms of stability or performance.

Scalability was not a problem for us.

We did not have to contact technical support.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Our deployment took quite some time but it was not because of Logstash issues. It was a more complex situation because we didn't have access to all of the nodes that we wanted to forward. So, it took between 10 and 15 months to deploy, although it was for administrative reasons as opposed to technical ones.

I had my own team for working with this solution but it was not for a single company. Our team was associated with a European partner and it was distributed around European cities.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this system is to set it up so that you can manage it remotely.

Overall, this product does what it is supposed to do, although there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about ELK Logstash. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KarthikeyanSrinivasan
Consultant at Sun Cloud LLC
A flexible product that can be used in a number of scenarios, but its knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by

• "Its flexibility is most valuable. We can have a number of scenarios, and we can get logs from anything. If we know how to use Logstash, we can tweak it in many ways. This makes the logging search on Elastic very easy."
  • "We are paying dearly for the guy who is working on the ELK Stack. That knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by. For difficulty and availability of resources, I would rate it a five out of 10."

What is our primary use case?

It is for our own infrastructure. We are trying to do ELK Stack for everything. We are trying to build our own monitoring solution. For now, we are using it as an alerting solution, and SIEM is going to be our destination.

What is most valuable?

With Kibana, we can make very beautiful dashboards the way we wanted. It makes sense for the business.

What needs improvement?

We are paying dearly for the guy who is working on the ELK Stack. That knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by. For difficulty and availability of resources, I would rate it a five out of 10.

We don't have any scalability problems as of now. We have less than 2,000 devices.

We have a contractor who is trying to develop and deploy the ELK Stack for us. He has requested a couple of servers, and we have given those to him. He asked for more RAM and storage for the service, and he will take time developing the custom Logstash scripts that we have asked for.

I find it better than Splunk in terms of cost-effectiveness. For cost-effectiveness, I would rate it a nine out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

It is complex, but you just need to have patience and personnel to develop it. Unless you explore a technology, you won't know what are the pros and cons. I have not seen any cons as of now, but it has miles to go in terms of being equal to Splunk. It is a community-driven technology. So, it will get there.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

AR
Founder & Chief Executive Officer at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Has good scalability and is consistently stable

• "The feature that we have found the most valuable is scalability."
  • "The process of designing dashboards is a little cumbersome in Kibana. Unless you are an expert, you will not be able to use it. The process should be pretty straightforward. The authentication feature is what we are looking for. We would love to have a central authentication system in the open-source edition without the need for a license or an enterprise license. If they can give at least a simple authentication system within a company. In a large organization, authentication is very essential for security because logs can contain a lot of confidential data. Therefore, an authentication feature for who accesses it should be there."

What is our primary use case?

We are using ELK Logstash for application log management and fault detection.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we have found the most valuable is scalability.

What needs improvement?

The process of designing dashboards is a little cumbersome in Kibana. Unless you are an expert, you will not be able to use it. The process should be pretty straightforward.

The authentication feature is what we are looking for. We would love to have a central authentication system in the open-source edition without the need for a license or an enterprise license. If they can give at least a simple authentication system within a company. In a large organization, authentication is very essential for security because logs can contain a lot of confidential data. Therefore, an authentication feature for who accesses it should be there.

We have been using ELK Logstash for nearly three years.

It's quite stable. We have not seen it going down at all for the last three years. It's working well consistently.

Scalability is very good.

We have not taken the technical support at all, so we have been supporting ourselves. We are using the open-source edition, and we are supporting ourselves.

The initial setup was very straightforward for us because we are a software development company. We understand how to compile the source code. We can compile the source code, and we can deploy it. It was pretty straightforward for us.

What other advice do I have?

You should know this solution pretty well. You need to be clear beforehand for what you are going to use this product. This is not something that you can use generally for anything and everything. You should be really clear in terms of your requirements.

I would rate ELK Logstash a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
SM
Associate Director - Solutions at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good indexing of logs, cost-effective, and stable

• "I like the indexing of the logs."
  • "Better integration with third-party APMs would be really good."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the Microsoft deployment of auto-management.

What is most valuable?

I like the indexing of the logs.

I have been using ELK Logstash for one year.

This product is quite stable and I've not seen any type of issue with it so far.

With respect to scalability, you have to properly plan. Generally, I don't see any issues with scalability.

We have not used technical support because we always had talent within the company for end-user support.

This was a solution that our client chose, and they were not using a different one prior to this.

I do not think that we had any issues with the deployment. Overall, I would say that the process is of medium complexity.

The support team assisted us with the deployment. I don't think that we had any issues with the team.

Compared to other products such as Dynatrace, this is one of the cheaper options.

Our client provided us with this option after they had already been through a selection process.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that this is a good product to use if you are financially contained, and you want to start with something small. Later, if you need to scale then you can look at other options.

SA
Senior Manager Analytics at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A simple and easy-to-use solution for IT monitoring and anomaly detection

• "It's simple and easy to use."
  • "This solution cannot do predictive maintenance, so we have to build our own modules for doing it."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for IT monitoring, predictive maintenance, and anomaly detection.

What is most valuable?

It's simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't do advanced analytics. They should have some advance analytics in this solution.

With Kibana, we wanted it to be easier to use. The data visualization is there but it should be easier to use.

Also, they should start proving APIs for doing ML and AI.

I have been using this solution for two months.

This solution is stable and so far, we have had no issues.

The scalability is very good. We are running it on an eight-node machine so far, and with eight nodes we have had no issues.

We haven't contacted support. They do have the support and we have spoken with them over email. We might need their assistance next month.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone who wants to do IT log monitoring, realtime and who wants to do the anomaly detection, should go with this solution.

So far from what we have seen, I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

KL
DevOps Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Lacking user interface, not stable, but free to use

• "The solution does not have a UI and this is one of the reasons we are looking for another solution."

What needs improvement?

When setting up some of the pipelines we are receiving different types of log messages with different patterns. When I try to force a certain pattern I need to restart the solution causing a huge inconvenience for us.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is not stable.

We have approximately 15 users using the solution in my organization.

When doing the installation, the ELK is working well but sometimes when we search for specific words there is no longer any inception throughout. This issue has been difficult to debug or fix.

The index is very important when using this solution. We encountered a couple of issues when we set up the wrong index, it causes everything to go down. That means if we set up something incorrectly with the index, the solution will be down and we do not know why.

The solution is free.

We are currently evaluating other solutions to replace this one, such as Datadogs and New Relic. Datadog has a UI that this solution is lacking.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution.

I rate ELK Logstash a five out of ten.