EMC NetWorker Reviews

rating
SySA43dmin
System Administrator with 1-10 employees
Oct 25 2018

What is most valuable?

Currently, the best feature is the DR replication for us. So, whatever data we are taking in the backup, it will get replicated end of day to our DR site.

How has it helped my organization?

Earlier, we used the Veritas backup solution. Before, we had a lot of manual steps. Now, with Networker, we do not have those steps.

What needs improvement?

In Rubrik, we were getting less time for backup the things because snapshot feature is there. So we asked that our EMC account manager help us. He suggested some block based backup, but we have seen… more»

The low cost is important.

I have used Rubrik and Veeam in the past.

What other advice do I have?

Dell EMC Networker is really the best in the market! After evaluating the solutions, we automatically decided to use this solution.
Syseng67
System Engineer / Backup Admin at a government with 10,001+ employees
Aug 08 2019

What needs improvement?

Configuration for Hyper-V needs to be improved. Our original configuration did not work because of an issue that differed between versions. We are able to do direct backups, but analyzing the logs is not straightforward. There are a lot of things that have to be done from the client-side in order to locate and identify errors. This should be made easier. This solution should support part-loaded data. I would like to see support for the enactment of errors, where the error should be very clear-mannered, on board, with NMC control only. When some backups fail, we investigate all of the… more»

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to first check to make sure that your environment is stable, and compatible with this product. Even before doing a POC, the environment needs to be considered. Once any incompatibilities have been ruled out then a POC should be done, where everything needs to be tested. This product can be complex and difficult to understand, but once you have some experience it is very good. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Veritas, Veeam Software and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: October 2019.
372,124 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Leadoffsol67
Lead Offering Solution Architect Cloud and Workload with 10,001+ employees
Aug 19 2019

How has it helped my organization?

The backup software has been much faster since we've deployed the solution.

What needs improvement?

The system needs better integration with other toolsets. Support could be improved. EMC also needs to offer more information for users online. The solution needs more automation and more reporting, so… more»

It's approximate, but I believe we pay around $20-30,000 a month in licensing.

We used to use HP DataProtector. It took too much effort to manage it, which is why we switched.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model of the solution. Networker is a fine solution, but there are other more modern automated solutions on the market. We are considering changing to one of those… more»

We did not evaluate other option before choosing this solution.
Senior Consultant at a healthcare company
Aug 01 2019

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us at the moment are NFS, file system backup, and IP backup.

What needs improvement?

The main problem that we are having had to do with stability. We are looking forward to better stability in future versions. Our customers often ask for better integration with Microsoft Exchange.

I was contracted to migrate our client's disaster recovery environment from Tivoli Storage Manager to EMC NetWorker.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to choosing this solution, it depends on the environment and the scenarios that you're focused on. There are many advantages with EMC NetWorker compared to other disaster recovery solutions, but the software is lacking in some areas that other vendors focus on. It really depends on… more»
Bolaji Olaloku
Enterprise Backup Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 20 2019

What is most valuable?

It has deduplication capabilities, where you have two similar data sets. This helps to speed up backup processes because it takes a shorter amount of time to do a backup because it has the deduplication feature already. Though, you have to buy this deduplication software separately from the license.

What needs improvement?

The security features need backup and encryption. It would be nice if they added this feature. I would also like to be able to decrypt when restoring the security features. Hackers can sense these vulnerabilities today, and we need to have our enterprise prepared. Overall, it isn't intuitive enough. It is a bit complex and not evolving with the technology.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a solution, I always consider: * Support * Availability of parts * The technology of the solution.
Technicon67
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Aug 15 2019

What is most valuable?

The backup and configuration for the virtual environment have been the most valuable features, especially with VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has minimized the recovery time objective, and the recovery point objective, the RTO and RPO. Most customers are looking to minimize downtime. The solution has helped ensure this.

What needs improvement?

The operating system could be improved. The interface could also be much easier.

The pricing is mid-range. It's not the cheapest, but it's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. I would rate the solution eight out of ten. It's not easy to integrate. We have to read a lot of documentation in order to configure the solution.
OmarIsmail
Client Infrastructure Technical Specialist at Clicks
Sep 29 2019

What needs improvement?

I feel that it is a good product. However, if its setup is configured correctly, it will work well but if it's not, it's a total disaster. I think that goes for any backup product. Coming into architectural design thinking, for example, we introduced a backup network. This has helped speed up our backup time and the time it took Windows to backup. That has made a huge difference without impacting… more»

The pricing of this solution is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution an eight out of ten, based on my knowledge and experience on it. In the next version, I would like it if Dell EMC could back up IBM. They call it IBMi, or the A400 system. That would be awesome for the networker. My advice to others would be that they should be very specific who they use to set up the software and make sure they check references for successful… more»
Mahmoud Ezz Eldin
IT Infrastructure Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 04 2019

What is most valuable?

It's a very good solution if you are using an Oracle-like environment. It's a very good, very powerful solution, but at the same time, it's a legacy solution. That's why we moved from NetWorker to Commvault.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their level of support. The software also isn't user-friendly like Commvault or Rubrik. The solution errors and management aren't so good in comparison.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises version of the service. We were also using a legacy solution from EMC. In terms of recommending the solution, it would be my third choice, behind Rubrik and Commvault. There are newer versions, which are hyper-converged, but I would have to seriously evaluate them before I could recommend them. I would rate this solution five or six out of ten.
See 2 More EMC NetWorker Reviews

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About EMC NetWorker

372,124 professionals have used our research since 2012.

EMC NetWorker Questions

What is EMC NetWorker?

EMC NetWorker backup and recovery software centralizes, automates, and accelerates data backup and recovery across your IT environment. NetWorker delivers record-breaking performance and a wide range of data protection options to safeguard your critical business data.
Also known as
NetWorker
EMC NetWorker customers
Secure-24, Riverside Health System, Shriners, Panatonni, Qatar Islamic Bank, Eurosport
BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Veritas, Veeam Software, and more!