EMC VMAX [EOL] Overview

What is EMC VMAX [EOL]?
Symmetrix VMAX accelerate your transformation to the software-defined data center with the world's most powerful, trusted, and smart family of storage products.

EMC VMAX [EOL] is also known as Symmetrix VMAX.

EMC VMAX [EOL] Customers
Wentworth-Douglas Hospital, Kindred Healthcare, Cosentry, Sumitomo Life Insurance Company, Shriners, BZWBK
EMC VMAX [EOL] Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about EMC VMAX [EOL] pricing:
  • "Our licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis."
  • "Our licensing fees are billed on a yearly basis."

EMC VMAX [EOL] Reviews

Romulo Luis
Consultant at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Apr 24, 2019
Enables users to upgrade and maximize their enterprise data storage capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a local Dell EMC partner. We are upgrading our storage capacity. Soon we will be moving to PowerMax All-Flash for SAN environments to consolidate block, file, and open storage. This is the solution that we think will help us to increase performance, with regards to our storage requirements.

• "VMAX3 is our main system for storage. All our systems and all our virtualizations are connected to it. In terms of expanding it, we are replacing it with a new system, the PowerMax 2000. So our current VMAX3 platform will be decommissioned soon. We are switching to PowerMax 2000 because we are looking for improved performance. We see it as the best fit for our requirements in terms of the performance and the overall cost."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to others looking to implement EMC VMAX is to look at it from the costing and support perspective. This is my advice since we don't have that many requirements aside from the tools, overall performance and the cost. On a scale from one to ten, 10 being the best, I would give VMAX3 an 8 out of 10.
    Dileep Kumar
    Senior Systems Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jul 28, 2020
    Has easy management and good Enterprise capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use it for a VMware and Exchange environment.

• "We have never had a bad experience with it because we never had failures. It has good data availability and the performance is also okay."
    • "The pricing is a bit expensive. That is the reason we are now currently we are looking for other solutions. That's the reason we are looking at AFF and Unity. We are also considering PowerStore."

What other advice do I have?

Aim to implement additional features like de-duplication and compression. That should enhance the experience. Focus on unified features. People are now more cost-effective. They want to have one box with multiple features. I would rate EMC VMAX an eight out of ten. I would like to see more deduplication and compression features in order to make it a ten.
    Richard Stephens
    Senior Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    Jul 26, 2020
    Resilient storage solution with zero downtime that is easy to implement and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We have two data centers and we have VMAX in each one. We use VPlex to replicate data between the two.

• "This solution is resilient."
    • "The way you configure larger size volumes needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

The version that we are using is very near to the end of its life. We will occasionally do code updates, but it is very difficult to buy disc drives for it anymore. I am not even sure that you can buy capacity upgrades. It's fairly easy to implement this product. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    Ali Yazıcı
    IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Jul 30, 2020
    Good performance, interface, and product support

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as part of our storage solution.

• "The most valuable features are the interface and performance."
    • "I would like to see support for high-availability."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product, although I would suggest implementing a proof of concept before buying it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    JohnBowling
    IT Manager - Storage & Backup at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Jun 27, 2019
    Offers seamless data compression and encryption with no impact on performance

What is our primary use case?

We use the VMAX3 All-Flash Subsystem to support our major Production and QA systems. This specific system currently supports approximately three hundred terabytes of data that includes several Oracle, SQL & DB2 Databases, SharePoint, SAP, JDE Systems, ESX, Windows, Unix, Linux, etc. We are planning on expanding the VMAX3 footprint and will likely double utilization within the next few months.

• "Deploying, Expanding, and Modifying systems are easier than ever."
    • "I'd like to see improvements where we can scale out an existing array and remove older controllers\drives\etc., within the same subsystem."
    Ali Yazıcı
    IT Service Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Jul 23, 2020
    Good interface that is customizable, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of this product is for our SAN servers.

What is most valuable?

The interface is good, and it is also customizable.

What needs improvement?

The cluster support should be improved. Better integration with other platforms would be an improvement.

I have been using EMC VMAX for about five years.

We have about 5,000 users, internally. I'm not sure how many external users we have. At this time, we are not expecting to increase our usage of it.

The technical support is good.

Prior to using VMAX, we used other solutions by EMC.…
    Reviewer588
    Head of Microinformatics at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jan 9, 2019
    The all-flash feature is great

What is most valuable?

I like the many new features, especially the all-flash solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like this solution to integrate the solution that Dell EMC vPlex offers. In addition, I think they should have a better means to test the equipment.

Three to five years.

We have had no issues with the stability of this solution.

There is ROI for this product. It is always something I look at when choosing a solution.

We looked at HP and Hitachi as other potential solutions. We have two Hitachi subsystems and one Dell EMC subsystem right now.