ESET Endpoint Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ESET Endpoint Security is #16 ranked solution in endpoint security software. IT Central Station users give ESET Endpoint Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. ESET Endpoint Security is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: ESET Endpoint Security vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 40% of all views.
What is ESET Endpoint Security?

Comprehensive multilayered security, combining machine learning and human expertise. Enables organizations to:

Protect against Ransomware
Block Targeted Attacks
Prevent Data Breaches
Detect Advanced Persistent Threats
Stop Fileless attacks

ESET Endpoint Security is also known as Smart Security.

ESET Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide

Download the ESET Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ESET Endpoint Security Customers

ERSTE Group Bank, Miller Solutions, Wesleyan University, The Hospital Center of Luxembourg, Deer Valley USD, SPAR, Industrial Federal Credit Union, Honda, City Hall of Palmela, Hays CISD, Lester B Pearson School Board

ESET Endpoint Security Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ESET Endpoint Security pricing:
  • "I pay about $100 a year, so it's really cheap. I'm sure that if I need something else beyond more technical support, I'll need to pay more."
  • "It is subjective. I don't think it is expensive. If you can have 10 user licenses for less than $100, I don't think it is expensive."
  • "I think it's available for a pretty fair price. If you know how to use it, then it's a very fair price for what you get."

ESET Endpoint Security Reviews

Gustavo-Lira
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good at detecting potentially dangerous websites, but the alerts can be confusing at times

• "The most valuable thing for me is that when I'm using the internet and I reach some site that isn't so secure, or isn't recommended because they don't have a good reputation, ESET will notify me."
  • "Sometimes, ESET sends alerts within my own network that cause confusion. That is, it might warn about contamination, or that the VM has crashed, but it doesn't go further than that. It just shows me the alert and sometimes I am not sure what to do about it."

What is our primary use case?

I work as an external consultant for a consulting and teaching company with around 50 employees. We teach courses and do examinations for customers that want to become certified once they complete the courses. In fact, I'm more than an external consultant yet I'm paid differently to a standard employee, and I'm using my whole technology infrastructure here.

I use ESET Endpoint Security on-premises at home because everyone is working from home now and no one has worked in the office for more than a year. For general security, I use the built-in Microsoft firewall and the services offered by ESET. And that's all, because I don't have servers.

ESET Endpoint Security is included on every machine that I have at home, including my wife's, my son's, and my daughters', because we're exposed to the internet. I also have routers which have some functions as a firewall, so that nobody comes into the network uninvited, and I have passwords for every access point.

I have 10 licenses in total, because I also use ESET Endpoint Security on the smartphones and some tablets as well. And in terms of maintenance, I'm the only one in charge of these networks and devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing for me is that when I'm using the internet and I reach some site that isn't so secure, or isn't recommended because they don't have a good reputation, ESET will notify me. Many times I will decide to just accept ESET's advice and I will stop visiting that website. In some very rare cases, I go through to the site anyway because I already know that it's secure.

What needs improvement?

Regarding email security, I would like something more when it comes to preventing phishing attacks. With some of the emails I've received, I have found things that made me refuse to open them, but ESET does not seem to notice. I think that I should be better advised of problematic situations concerning potential phishing emails.

In general, I also think that there could be more in the way of advanced threat detection, for identifying advanced malware and the like. Having an extra service that could detect more advanced malware than typical antivirus software does may be very expensive to have on my entire premises, but I would consider it.

Then, when it comes to the smart TV and the printer, I can't really figure out what's happening when there's a problem. For example, it's difficult to find out whether the appliance has been attacked or not, and it's not so easy to see what is actually going on in the case of a malicious situation.

I've been using ESET Endpoint Security for four years now.

My impression of stability is good. It's a stable product and it's not very obstructive. I have used other software like ESET Endpoint Security and it was impossible to work because the machine kept filling up with files that they were trying to send back to their company.

I don't have a need to implement ESET Endpoint Security for more than 10 machines, so I don't know how they would handle a higher volume. I'm not sure how I could automate that, in terms of how to download the new versions, and all the security signatures, etc. I assume it can be done, but I have no idea.

I haven't spoken with ESET technical support yet because I've never had a reason to.

I have previously used the antivirus software from both McAfee and Norton. In fact, my technical support consultant has been recommending that I go back to Norton, and I'm not against the idea, but I would need to have a better comparison to make the switch.

The setup was simple. I set it up manually by installing it on every machine I have. So it was not an automatic process, but it is straightforward enough. It took only 10 minutes per machine.

Where I had a problem was with the smart TVs. It was supposed to function there, but on the HiSense TV I got stuck because I think that the operating system is not the correct version for it to work.

I pay about $100 a year, so it's really cheap. I'm sure that if I need something else beyond more technical support, I'll need to pay more.

In the past year I have evaluated Norton, but as I told my technical support consultant, I don't have enough information to make a change. I'm glad to have what I have, even though I know it could be better.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended ESET Endpoint Security to friends and colleagues already. As a technical person, I would recommend it based on its performance and the way in which it does not block you or get in the way when doing work. Although it could do more with preventing phishing, it catches most other problems.

The solution is very good for what it is sold as, which is not necessarily a complete solution for security. And I would say that I got what I paid for.

I would rate ESET Endpoint Security a seven out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Other (consultant)
GN
Network / Systems Administrator at a logistics company with 201-500 employees
Good management and threat protection but needs features for users working outside the network

• "The ability to push policies and also to restrict an installation or to restrict any form of threat within the policy has been quite useful."
  • "In terms of what is lacking in ESET, it really would need more features for the users when they are working outside of the corporate network."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the endpoint and server solutions.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is essentially managing a solution. The ability to push policies and also to restrict an installation or to restrict any form of threat within the policy has been quite useful.

The threat protection is actually pretty good.

What needs improvement?

There was actually a feature that we were looking for but we realized that it was actually the version that we had. We had ESET Antivirus and there was another one that offers the content version, which wasn't available for us, however, they made it an upgrade to have that feature anyways. It would be nice if it was simply included.

In terms of what is lacking in ESET, it really would need more features for the users when they are working outside of the corporate network. That's a feature we actually have in force there. They have the ESET Cloud and the feature of the ESET Cloud, whereby the policies are actually pushed from the Cloud server anywhere they are. Where they are, the staff can read their information. However, currently, I have to push it to a spot on the corporate network, where they'll have a VPN to get back to the server. That is kind of bad. We actually want a hybrid, a mixed solution, whereby you have your policies locally but then, through a subscription with ESET, you can have those policies pushed to the Cloud. In the configuration, it would be ideal to have a primary location for them to go to.

That way, locally, once they are connected to this network, they can use our local server. We're on the network and it cannot detect the primary server. It actually uses the Cloud, which should be a second option within the configuration. Our policies that get replicated to the Cloud from on-premise would still need to play a significant role on the user's workstation.

If there's an incident or any malware detected on the endpoint when the user is remote when they are away from us if it could actually still use that router and report back to us and send the alerts back to the ESET Cloud, that would be great. That was one of the things we were looking for but we haven't found that.

With ESET deployment there is an appliance. It's a virtual appliance, a network appliance. We had some difficulties when I tried to get that virtual appliance to utilize our internal certificate authority. Try as we might, we didn't find any documentation. We couldn't find any help. I contacted the company and requested some documents that weren't really useful. We had to switch back to a Windows-based solution and then we were able to go ahead and use custom certificates. The problem is the documentation from ESET regarding custom certificates based on Windows. They need to clarify that

I've been using the solution for about three years or so.

The stability of the solution is okay, however, it depends on how you connect it. We haven't had any issues so far.

We don't have more than one core server. We don't really have large servers that we need to scale out. We don't have much need to scale.

We have about 150 to 200 people on the solution currently.

Technical support is pretty good, however, we had some issues with the certificates during the setup and they didn't help us too much in that instance. I'd give them a rating of four out of five stars simply due to that instance where they proved to be unhelpful and lacked proper documentation.

While this initial setup itself was easy, we did have issues dealing with custom Windows certificates and we just couldn't get any proper documentation out of ESET. It was a headache.

Apart from that challenge that we encountered, when we switched back to Windows it was okay. It didn't take a long time.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I don't know if it works, the Cloud solution. If it were just to migrate to ESET Cloud, I don't know if it would manage the internet traffic from the multiple clients on the server-side. I don't know if it's five years on a service agent that we need to install locally to control it and combine it.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. There are a few functionalities that I wish we had, however, it's not a bad product.

Learn what your peers think about ESET Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PC
IT Administrator at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
Capable of quickly detecting malware and remotely shutting down a computer

• "The potential threat protection feature is the most valuable. In the event that one of my computers is not on the network and gets a virus, ESET Endpoint Security quickly detects the malware, and in most cases, it removes the virus. It also has the ability to remotely shut down the computer. I like the remote control part the most."
  • "The use of SQL Server can be improved. At times, there is a bit of challenge while linking it with the Javascript. ESET Endpoint Security requires modern technology or modern equipment on site. You will find it difficult to use ESET Endpoint Security with dual-core machines. If they can add the cloud management feature to their product, it will be much easier. If you look at this COVID situation that we are in right now, people are working from home, so you need to control the computers wherever you are. For example, if you are using any email setup and you are hosting it on your own, all the email traffic will be going through the same network. You need to protect all of your computers from the attack. It is best if you can do it remotely rather than having an IT person to come onsite to manage all computers and metrics etc, which isn't a smart way to do it."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to protect my servers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The use of SQL Server can be improved. At times, there is a bit of challenge while linking it with the Javascript.

ESET Endpoint Security requires modern technology or modern equipment on site. You will find it difficult to use ESET Endpoint Security with dual-core machines.

If they can add the cloud management feature to their product, it will be much easier. If you look at this COVID situation that we are in right now, people are working from home, so you need to control the computers wherever you are. For example, if you are using any email setup and you are hosting it on your own, all the email traffic will be going through the same network. You need to protect all of your computers from the attack. It is best if you can do it remotely rather than having an IT person to come onsite to manage all computers and metrics etc, which isn't a smart way to do it.

I have been using ESET Endpoint Security for about six years.

It is a stable product.

It is scalable. I have had at least 20 users, and I never exceeded 50 users.

I don't really have much experience with them. Because of my almost six years of experience with this product, I am able to troubleshoot a lot of issues.

I hardly had any problems. It could be because of the experience with time.

The deployment time depends on the speed of the network. To install it to a standalone workstation, it didn't take me more than 5 minutes to complete the process.

I installed it myself. It gets easier with experience. In the beginning, I required some assistance. I raised some queries online and got a response. I then found someone who is probably certified to do the installation. Now, I can install it on my own. I have also been helping my clients.

It is subjective. I don't think it is expensive.  If you can have 10 user licenses for less than $100, I don't think it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We definitely plan to continue using this solution. For my clients with small businesses, I really recommend this solution.

I would rate ESET Endpoint Security a seven out of ten.

JC
Assistant Researcher at CNRS
Stable with a quick installation process and good MDM features

• "The solution has very useful MDM features."
  • "There are some new antivirus technologies that rely on AI, artificial intelligence. ESET does not have this technology right now."

What is our primary use case?

I install the solution in mobile devices to secure smartphones and to manage these devices as ESET has MDM, Mobile Device Management. I also use the product for data encryption.

What is most valuable?

I like the central console and the Cloud platform.

The solution has very useful MDM features.

The solution is quite stable. It offers good performance.

The solution scales well if you need it to.

I found the installation process to be quite quick.

What needs improvement?

There are some new antivirus technologies that rely on AI, artificial intelligence. ESET does not have this technology right now. Maybe it's going to. It would be ideal if they followed the lead of other products and added AI into their service offering in the future. Adding AI would allow them to add extra security and to have more intelligent protection services.

I've recently installed the product. It's only been a few days. I've tried the product before and have worked with it on and off over the last 10 to 12 years or so.

The stability has been very good so far. It doesn't crash or freeze. I haven't noted any bugs or glitches. It's been good.

The product has the capability to scale. If a company needs to expand it, it should be able to do so without any issues.

I've only tried about ten devices so far, however. Therefore, I haven't really attempted to scale very much just yet. We have about 50 users on the solution right now. We do plan to increase usage in the future.

We don't have any experience with technical support. We've never used them. I can't speak to their level of knowledge or responsiveness.

We previously used Kaspersky.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Overall, the deployment process is quick. It took a few minutes.

We have about three administrators that can handle any maintenance if it is required.

I handled the installation myself. I did not need a consultant or an integrator to assist me.

We do have to pay a license fee in order to use the solution. I can't speak to the exact costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using. I don't have the version number on-hand. As I installed it a few days ago, it's likely I have downloaded the latest version.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations. For the most part, we've had a very positive experience.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

JM
Programme Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Affordable and easy to use but needs to offer better integration capabilities

• "The product is quite affordable."
  • "The integration capabilities might be lacking a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for the management of our staff, their laptops, and endpoint devices. We're not using it for any mobile devices, such as phones or tablets. Instead, we're using it for the endpoint protection and security of endpoint devices like laptops specifically.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use and simple to navigate.

The product is quite affordable.

The implementation process is nice and easy.

What needs improvement?

It may be a bit early to tell if there is anything lacking. I'm still getting myself oriented... We're using it for some of its basic features. However, as we get to use it and understand its broader feature-set and experience, there might be more to comment on in terms of improvement requests.

It would be ideal if it could detect threats sooner.

The integration capabilities might be lacking a bit. We were expecting it to be a bit more robust.

We've been using the solution for the past three months.

We have about 15 people using the product in our office.

We've never used technical support. We go through our partners if we need any assistance. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive their support would be.

The solution was pretty simple to set up. It was quite quick as well. I'd say it's quite easy to install and implement.

You don't need too many people to deploy and maintain the solution. We might have about three or so people who can handle those duties. Of course, then there were people from our side involved in defining some of those policies, et cetera.

We had one of our partners assist us with the implementation process.

The pricing is very reasonable. We do have to pay for a license. We have purchased a yearly license for ESET.

We did not look at other solutions prior to choosing this product. We had some machines that were well protected and some that weren't. Some came with some basic antiviruses, some didn't have anything or some were expired. Overall, we probably weren't really using anything, at least on a standard basis.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers or end-users. We don't have a business relationship with ESET.

Since the solution is cloud-based, we're always using the most up-to-date version.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We still need time to explore it as it's still quite new.

I'd recommend the solution to other users or companies.

Irad Dukad
IT Manager at ducart
Easy to install with good technical support and good scalability

• "It's a very user-friendly product."
  • "There are other features you can add on to help make the security stronger, however, they should offer better security even on a basic level."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its antivirus capabilities. It offers us good security.

What is most valuable?

I like that it doesn't take a lot of resources from the workstation.

It's a very user-friendly product. We find it quite easy to use.

The product is very stable.

The scalability of the solution is quite good.

The installation is pretty straightforward.

We found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

The solution should continue to work on its security features. It needs to offer better protection to its user base. There are other features you can add on to help make the security stronger, however, they should offer better security even on a basic level.

I've been using the solution for about six years at this point. It's been a while. I have spent a good amount of time with the product.

We have found that the solution offers good performance is very stable. I can't recall coming across bugs or glitches. It doesn't seem to crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the product is great. You can expand it if needed. A company shouldn't have any trouble with scaling.

Currently, we have about 150 users on the product.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. Our experience has been largely positive. they are good. They have been helpful and knowledgeable about the product. they respond in a timely manner. I have no complaints about their level of service.

We found the initial setup to be straightforward and simple in terms of execution. it's not too complex. I wouldn't describe the process as difficult.

The deployment is relatively quick. For each client, it takes a matter of minutes.

We have two technical people on staff that can handle the deployment and maintenance of the product.

We did use an integrator to assist us with the initial implementation. The experience overall was quite positive.

The solution does have add-ons that can drive up the price.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

We've had a positive experience dealing with the solution. I would recommend it to other users, organizations, or companies.

JM
IT Support Technician at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
A product that is easy to recommend to our customers with confidence

• "This is a product at the top of its game. That is the reason we choose to support and sell it."
  • "The product could have better integration with third-party products that would help extend functionality."
  • "They could be more aggressive with malware."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a reseller for ESET (Essential Security against Evolving Threats), and we are here to sell the product to our customers. Our customers are usually using the product for antivirus and for firewall protection against threats and malware.

What is most valuable?

The feature of the product that is most valuable is endpoint security.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by having better integration with other services. Specifically, it would be good if they had better integration with Kaspersky and Nvidia (Next Version Envy and Vision).

It is also possible that they could be a little more aggressive with malware.

We have been using the product for five or six years.

For the most part, the product works very well. It is stable and we do not have any bugs or glitches with this solution. The only problem that we have had is in trying to move some clients to version 6.5. In many cases, we can not uninstall or upgrade this version with the package provided. We must go with a CMD tool on safe mode to uninstall the program and install the new version that way. But this is the only bug we have experienced and it is not affecting the utility of the product. It is just a problem with the installation of the upgrade.

We have not experienced any scalability issues with any of our clients.

We have contacted the tech support team maybe one or two times. I would evaluate them as being very good. I have no issues with how they handle our requests. We have been satisfied with their support.

The initial installation time can be counted in minutes or maybe a few hours. It does not take that long to get up and running.

We are the ones who do the installations for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

I think ESET is very good. It is at the top of its game. That is the reason we choose to support and sell it. We can easily recommend it to our customers with confidence. We are very glad to support this antivirus solution.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a ten-out-of-ten. I think that right now it is the perfect solution.

KL
IT Manager at Version 2 Limited
A reliable anti-malware and security suite for small, midsize, and large businesses

• "It has a clean and clear interface."
  • "ESET Endpoint Security should offer more integration with multi-attack frameworks."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our endpoints from malware, zero-day attack, etc.

What is most valuable?

It has a clean and clear interface. The performance on the endpoint, no matter the system, its resource usage is low. We have pretty good detection, at least I feel that we don't have any major infections — we love it.

We can use this solution to perform lots of tasks, like upgrading. We can integrate with Windows. Some of the patches don't update by default, by Microsoft. We can do some software installations, in-store — which is pretty easy. Whenever we upgrade, our lives become much easier.

What needs improvement?

ESET Endpoint Security should offer more integration with multi-attack frameworks. This is very important for large corporate businesses as it would provide protection against hackers, data breaches, etc.

I have been using this solution for roughly 12 years.

We experience some stability issues from time to time, but we can't confirm it's due to ESET. Some system tasks read past some script which makes it difficult for developing custom tasks. For normal installations, it's fine.

ESET Endpoint Security should be able to integrate with DLP better — that would be great. They already have EDR, but we don't use it. Some have more DLP functionality than others.

They have local support here, so they're pretty good. They seem to know what we need. Overall, I'd say their support is very good.

After we upgraded to version six, it's been pretty easy to continue upgrading. It's pretty straightforward to upgrade and install. 10 years ago, this wasn't the case. We had to install each upgrade one by one.

What other advice do I have?

They provide a free trial version. Install it and try it for yourself to see the performance and test the detection capabilities. Then you can see the result; that's what I remember the first time I tried ESET.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give ESET Endpoint Security a rating of nine.

Download our free ESET Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.