ESET Endpoint Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ESET Endpoint Security is #16 ranked solution in endpoint security software. IT Central Station users give ESET Endpoint Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. ESET Endpoint Security is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint:ESET Endpoint Security vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 40% of all views.
What is ESET Endpoint Security?

Comprehensive multilayered security, combining machine learning and human expertise. Enables organizations to:

Protect against Ransomware
Block Targeted Attacks
Prevent Data Breaches
Detect Advanced Persistent Threats
Stop Fileless attacks

ESET Endpoint Security is also known as Smart Security.

ESET Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide

Download the ESET Endpoint Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

ESET Endpoint Security Customers

ERSTE Group Bank, Miller Solutions, Wesleyan University, The Hospital Center of Luxembourg, Deer Valley USD, SPAR, Industrial Federal Credit Union, Honda, City Hall of Palmela, Hays CISD, Lester B Pearson School Board

ESET Endpoint Security Video

Archived ESET Endpoint Security Reviews (more than two years old)

MM
IT Manager at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good spam protection and integration, but the deployment process needs to be improved

• "The most valuable feature is the antispam module, which comes in the bundle."
  • "If I were in an environment that required a large-scale deployment then I would choose another solution over ESET."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for security and email spam protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Once the initial setup and configuration is complete, you just have to sit back and monitor.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the antispam module, which comes in the bundle. It is very helpful and integrates with the local Outlook, or email, client.

The HIPS is another good feature.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup needs improvement because you have to create quite a few policies, and sometimes it misses machines when it comes to discovery. This means that you have to manually deploy on some.

Seamless discovery of endpoints would be an improvement.

Technical support can be improved.

I would like to see better deployment features in the next release.

If they had an agentless version, where for example it is integrated with Active Directory and there is no agent, then that would be an improvement. I don't know if it is possible, but you just discover the machines, deploy the software, and that's it. It would save a lot of time when it comes to installing the agents, especially if you have, for example, one thousand machines. It is for this reason that I would not recommend ESET on a larger scale.

The stability of this solution is good.

I have not had to scale this solution, but my understanding is that you just enter a license and that's it.

The availability of technical support is less than I would like. Out of five times that I call, they may be available two or three times. Overall, I would rate their support a seven out of ten. Certainly, this can be improved.

If, however, you do catch them, then the support is good. The engineer will help you.

I have worked with Cylance. It does not have the problem where some machines are missed during the initial setup and discovery process, but it suffers from having too many false positives. I think it is related to how it works, based on machine learning technology. This means that you have to create a lot of exceptions, time and time again, especially for applications that are crucial.

Recently, the setup of this solution is easy, but the configuration is time-consuming.

You have to make policies, and it is not a simple process. There are three steps involved, where first you have to deploy the agent, and then you have to create a policy to remove any existing antivirus software. A reboot is required following this step. After the reboot, you install the product and then you have to reboot again.

These steps are tedious and time-consuming, and really what I didn't like about this solution.

If I were in an environment that required a large-scale deployment then I would choose another solution over ESET.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution on a larger scale. To improve, they need to cut down the number of steps required for deployment. They also have to increase the availability of technical support.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

BH
Manager at EZ Computers Ltd.
Easy to use, proactive protection, has a good management center, and free training is available

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the management."
  • "Everything has some kind of room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller and this is one of the products that we use ourselves, as well as recommend it to other companies.

The primary use case is as an anti-virus.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is very good at what it does. It's very pro-active and not reactive.

If you're running a company, it makes administration a lot easier.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the management. The management center to it is fantastic. I set it up so that it goes over the internet from one site to another, and they're all held centrally.

I don't need to tamper with this solution every day. Rather, it lets me know when there is a problem and then sorts it out.

It has a continually updated database of heuristics for virus detection.

In addition to anti-virus, it will tell you whether your machine needs updates. It will send a red flag if your OS is out of date, or if there are any viruses.

This solution is very easy to use.

ESET will provide you with free training if you need it.

What needs improvement?

Everything has some kind of room for improvement.

Technical support for this solution is wonderful. The team is very good.

I have used nearly all of these kinds of solutions throughout my career, and this is the one that I tend to go back to because it's all there. Specifically, I have used AVG, Norton, Avast, and BullGuard.

ESET does not have a heavy footprint like Norton.

When I first tried ESET many years ago, it was not as straightforward to use, but it was very good for administration and networks. The fact that it would scan the entire structure of the machine and any drives, in a corporate situation, was quite valuable. After this, I started using it myself and realized just how easy it is to use.

The initial setup of this solution can be a bit confusing if you don't know what you're doing. That said, if you're buying this solution then you are planning on rolling it out across a complete network. In this case, you will have the relevant knowledge so it's quite easy

This solution is a good value for the money.

Cisco has been marketing its Umbrella solution, and it is a very good product, but it is also very expensive. It is not economical, whereas ESET falls perfectly right across the board in terms of price and functionality.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good, all-in product. Even the home, end-user products by this vendor are very good. If you're serious about endpoint security then this is the only product you will need because it's a one-stop solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about ESET Endpoint Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MH
Information Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
This solution gives us real time protection. In terms of the current global landscape, it is a great solution.

• "This solution blocks the brand new malware threats."
  • "In terms of the current global landscape, it is a great solution."
  • "I would like them to use AI features to do preventative virus protection."

What is our primary use case?

It defends any type of malware and defends us from viruses. We also use this solution to block USB access.

How has it helped my organization?

ESET Endpoint Security helps with the automatic system scanning. This solution gives us real time protection.

What is most valuable?

This solution blocks the brand new malware threats. It automatically blocks them without updates.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to take more preventative measures in virus prediction. I would also like to see AI features that would do this type of prediction.

We are not a big company, so I cannot comment on scalability issues.

They prefer online support, and I would really prefer on-site support for this solution.

Actually our management wants to know if the vendor is actually brand oriented or marketing oriented. It is crucial for us to know we can deliver certain criterion to our employees.  In the end, when evaluating a solution like this, we focus on whether the product will give us the latest malware protection, and whether it can block and not only quarantine. In turn, we will find the best solution for our needs.

At first we thought it was a bit expensive, but we negotiated a better price.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has become a security manager for our company. It provides a prevention of many different malware attacks. In terms of the current global landscape, it is a great solution.

Jayandra Wickramasinghe
Senior Systems engineer at SAT

• "Advanced level endpoint firewall, which helps to block unwanted and malicious traffic."
  • "ESET should consider giving it application control."

What is our primary use case?

ESET Endpoint Security is an AV product which can help an organisation to protect from know/unknown malware. Also, it has a high detection rate compared with other products.

How has it helped my organization?

ESET Endpoint Security helps to improve our organisation's security. ESET Endpoint Security provides a smart level of security with a low system footprint, low bandwidth usage, and smooth performance while doing security operations. However, in some cases, ESET Endpoint Security was unable to provide 100% protection against zero day attacks.

What is most valuable?

• ESET SysInspector: Provides full details of the process and modules loaded with path and risk levels.
  • Two-way firewall: Advanced level endpoint firewall, which helps to block unwanted and malicious traffic.
  • Trusted Network Detection: Provides strict protection when clients connect to an unauthorised network.
  • HIPS: Detects threats based on system behaviour and provides tampering protection for registry, processes, and files.
  • Centralised management: Visualised, central, advance management, server console.

What needs improvement?

ESET Endpoint Security does not have application control. ESET should consider giving it application control. Also, it needs to improve the temper protection and provide more detection capabilities (e.g., more behaviour base).

Three to five years.

ESET Endpoint Security is most suitable with an SMB enterprise environment, not a larger Enterprise. ESET Remote Administrator server is able to manage easily if users are 1000 or less without any issues. In larger enterprises environments (more than 1000 users), we have to do proper DB sizing and hardware sizing, since in some cases, ERA server gets slow while handling the ESET Agents.

ESET has very good customer service and technical support.

We have some level of experience with Panda, Kaspersky, and Symantec.

We considered the resources that would be taken, the performance of PCs, the malware detection, product management complexity, and the price factor. Most of our clients switched to ESET.

The initial setup is straightforward,

The vendor has a good level of expertise, so implementation is easy.

The cost is a very reasonable. When compared with other products, the price is low (though not very low).

We also evaluated:

• Symantec
  • Panda
  • Kaspersky

What other advice do I have?

ESET Remote Administrator server (ERA) installation and ESET Endpoint Security Agent installation are not complex. Policy configuration is also not hard and can be done in a short time of period, then you will be able to stand up your server and run.

it_user877140
Analista de TI Senior
Lightweight software, it does not compromise OS performance

What is our primary use case?

Protection of a corporate environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Lightweight software, it does not compromise the performance of the operating system.

What is most valuable?

Virus protection on the network and site-blocking, among other features.

What needs improvement?

I think the product support is very bad.

What is our primary use case?

Protection of a corporate environment.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Virus protection on the network and site-blocking, among other features.

What needs improvement?

I think the product support is very bad.

ML
IT SM & Security Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The AV engine doesn't burden PCs

What is our primary use case?

The client needed to use an antivirus and to change Windows Firewall, so he used ESET Endpoint Security.

How has it helped my organization?

If you use ESET Antivirus Security with ESET ERA Server as a middle computer in your network, you can manage all features and updates from one place.

What is most valuable?

The AV engine doesn't burden the PC.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the FW part and, of course, ESET ERA Server.

More than five years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The AV engine doesn't burden the PC.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the FW part and, of course, ESET ERA Server.

More than five years.
Matija Dabic
Junior System Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
ERA Web Console enables us to create reports, monitor/administer clients and servers

• "What is great about ESET is the ERA Web Console through which we can pull various reports, monitor and administer all clients and servers, and the console is easy to use."
  • "A feature we like is setting the GUI of ESET Endpoint Security/ESET File Security to silent mode because some servers and clients can have performance issues."
  • "They need to improve licensing for VMs. When ESET is uninstalled from a VM, the seat stays on the license management server. We have to manually delete the seat from that server because it doesn't know how to handle it. I contacted exclusive ESET support here in Croatia and they told me there is no solution for this yet."

What is our primary use case?

This ESET environment consists of the ERA Web Console for remote administration of client computers and servers, and Apache HTTP Proxy to distribute updates to client computers. AD environment consists of about 250 client computers and 30 servers, and everything works perfectly for now.

How has it helped my organization?

ESET is recognized as one of the best in the security field. It provides a high level of security and the ERA Web Console increases productivity because we can do all we need to do with clients from one central place. And we have plenty of options for those clients.

What is most valuable?

What is great about ESET is the ERA Web Console through which we can pull various reports, and monitor and administer all clients and servers. In addition, the console is easy to use.

The most valuable feature for us is the ability to create custom reports. Also, they are not exclusively related to antivirus and group synchronization from AD, so we can have the same group structure on AD and ESET.

Another feature that we like is setting the GUI of ESET Endpoint Security/ESET File Security to silent mode because some servers and clients can have performance issues. For example, the ekrn.exe process, from time to time, consumes a lot of CPU, so it is great that we can put this process on silent mode.

From the Dashboard, we have a quick view of real-time status, and if we are in hurry, the ERA Web Console will send us a notification with the current situation so we don't need to waste time connecting to the console.

What needs improvement?

We haven't encountered any issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a 10 out of 10. It is fast and professional.

Initial setup is simple, there are no undefined options that confuse you and every step is well explained.

What other advice do I have?

Gives you a reliable endpoint security product with high security standards and easy administration from everywhere.

JB
Partner at a media company with 51-200 employees
It is absolutely invisible once running

What is our primary use case?

Network security for an organization with around 20 networked computers with all users diving all over the internet for disparate interests. It is easy enough to pick up a bug, and we do not want one.

How has it helped my organization?

We have not picked up a bug yet, because we use ESET, which is a tried, proven system.

What is most valuable?

We use ESET, which is pretty much perfect for us. It is also absolutely simple and automatic once setup.  It is absolutely invisible once running. It effectively catches unwanted stuff. It has saved our bacon over many years.

What needs improvement?

You have to buy it.

Trial/evaluations only.

No issues. …

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

You have to buy it.

Trial/evaluations only.

No issues.

No issues.

No, we have not changed.

ESET is perfect, if you can afford it.

Not really.

it_user762249
Analista de Suporte - Consultor de TI at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Lightweight antivirus with heuristic scan, web filter, bi-directional firewall, and device restriction that works

What is most valuable?

The most valuables features are that it is a lightweight antivirus with a lightweight heuristic scan, web filter, bi-directional firewall, and device restriction that works well.

How has it helped my organization?

As ESET is a lightweight antivirus and gives us the most useful features that we need on an endpoint, we are comfortable after installing it. You don't need to worry about the machine becoming slow after installing it, and there are other features to protect the user machine as well.

What needs improvement?

The heuristic of ESET is not so effective in standard mode. We have to implement some policies on it to have good protection against malware like Zero-Day and ransomware. I think that such policies should be implemented by default on the product or by the automatic updates.

ESET is so stable, after you install the ESET Endpoint Security (endpoint) or the ESET Remote Administrator (ERA admin console) you will not have problems with bugs or the like, in the interfaces or features.

I have never needed to do this on an ESET product.

Here in Brazil, the support is not good. But if I contact the support in Argentina, which is the central service desk of Latin America, the support is very good.

Yes, as a software distributor I also work with Sophos for example, and the cost-benefit of ESET is better than Sophos.

The deployment and configuration of ESET Endpoint Security and ESET Remote Administrator are really simple, and easy to manage.

The cost-benefit of ESET, from my point of view, is really good for an antivirus for small and medium business.

Yes, I evaluated Sophos, but I would have to upgrade the machines to install it on all PCs.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good antivirus for small and medium businesses. However, be careful with the policies; implementing best practices of ESET policies is necessary. Also make sure it is updated.

it_user762252
Product Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "Easy to use security solution, helps to secure connected devices against viruses in the digital world."
  • "iOS compatibility for mobile security and parental control."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

iOS compatibility for mobile security and parental control.

Since 2008.

None.

None.

Very good, very prompt responses. So far, frankly speaking, we have had more technical issues on our side than on the ESET side.

ESET is a top Slovak company, renowned in the industry as is their solution. Previously I tried AVG and McAfee solutions, but did not feel my device was really secure.

Straightforward.

Pricing per month, for security services as apps in CEE pricing: up to €2 monthly is OK.

With pricing around €5 per month you have to provide really strong value as it is already at the level of one quarter of a telco bill.

Not really. By the time we started cooperation with ESET, their competitors didn’t even have local support in Slovakia.

What other advice do I have?

We have cooperated with ESET for many years. We resell their products with orange branded versions that help us to create revenue of more than €3 million yearly.

it_user679446
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Management console enables managing all devices from a PC; good for a small business

What is most valuable?

Management console, where you can manage all devices on the network from your PC.

How has it helped my organization?

Management console means I don’t have to physically go and update the PCs. I can check their status from my desktop.

What needs improvement?

Assuring all users that all types of malware/ransomware are covered (this is hard to do, I know).

One and a half years.

No. Assuring all users that all types of malware/ransomware is covered...

An eight out of 10.

Yes, we switched as ESET was easier to use, has management console functions, and the application is cost-friendly for a small business.

Yes. Phone support provided was great and the GUI steps are easy to follow.

If you are running a small business and don’t need an over-the-top product, ESET is a good product. Cost-friendly and easy to manage for a small number of devices on the network. Phone support has been marvelous.

Yes, I looked at McAfee, Norton, and Malwarebytes.

What other advice do I have?

ESET is a good product. Cost-friendly and easy to manage for a small number of devices on the network. Phone support is great, and they always get back to you.

Michael Varga
IS-Operations Security Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
The CLI Scanning is used for scanning our corporate storage (endpoint) for malware that our onboard scanner (MS Endpoint) misses.

What is most valuable?

The CLI Scanning is used for scanning our corporate storage (endpoint) for malware that our onboard scanner (MS Endpoint) misses.

Personal experience with the real-time scanner was excellent and we wanted to create a second layer of detection on our systems, without going through the expense and trouble of running a second AV on our systems.

How has it helped my organization?

On notification of a potential malware issue via FireEye, or PaloAlto, we launch a scan against the endpoint C$ share and the user's network drive.

Automatic cleaning is enabled, and often finds the malware the MSEPP has missed, plus additional malware.

We use app locker to prevent execution of downloaded malware so ESET is simply used to clean up after the fact.

What needs improvement?

From our perspective, no real issues with the application.

Personally, I use it on my desktop/laptop/tablet and have had no issues with signature or application updates.

I hope to convince our Application team to adopt it over our MSEPP solution but due to the difference in price, it's not likely.

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

We haven't had any issues with stability.

We haven't had any issues with scalability.

it_user2535
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
In 3 years of use, there have been no infections. License fees are an issue.

Valuable Features:

The application runs in the background without a noticeable impact on my laptop. In 3 years of use, there have been no infections (as far as I know...). The application is being put to the test, as about once a week I get a notification from ESET of another virus that was detected and quarantined. ESET's operation is in stark contrast to another popular security firewall that I tried 3 years ago before choosing ESET. That 'other' firewall noticeably slowed all other applications, forcing me to remove it.In anycase, my experience with ESET has been good so far.

Room for Improvement:

ESET requires a yearly license fee. That license fee is significant for SOHO users. Users considering a purchase should look at both performance and license pricing of the top vendors before making a decision. The ESET license price is discounted only if one is willing to purchase a 3-year license. That's a long time window for a PC, in my opinion.
it_user1143
Network Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
ESET Smart Security 5 is a powerful internet security suite

Valuable Features:

Resource use is very impressive as it has smallest impact on CPU and RAM.Provided features are ThreatSense technology, Antispyware, Host-Based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), Cloud-Enhanced Whitelisting, Antispam, Intelligent firewall, Gamer mode and Parental controls which are more than enough for appropriate security and protection.Control interface is clear and easy to use with main items available in the left had pane.SysInspector is available for advanced users to look at active processes, critical files, network connections and drivers to identify any unwanted programs affecting the system.

Room for Improvement:

Malware detection is good but repairing is not always up to the markInitial scan is slow

Other Advice:

ESET Smart Security protects your computer against real world threats and malware attacks and provides added security layer with spam filtering, firewall and parental control.
it_user1155
Manager of eCommerce at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
powerful, but not the best level of protection against viruses

Valuable Features:

- guard against any threats that you are on social networks, in sailing, work, play online or exchange data via removable media. - The program is classified among the first in the field of protection and the most competitive. - Detects viruses and then destroys them professionally - saves battery for your laptop because it is not greedy with the RAM and CPU - protection for three PCs with just one license

Room for Improvement:

- problem with updating Zonealarm (at time) - vulnerability protection mode is only for 32-bits of architecture - difficult to uninstall - It has a very inconvenient way of activating the beta NIS when you have to type in the key

Other Advice:

I used Norton Internet Security Suite two years ago. I remarked that the improvement and protection tool, specifically in version 2012, should have included a professional panel, like putting in a restore point of the total system. It is not very greedy with the RAM and processor, which allows you to save battery.
Download our free ESET Endpoint Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.