Extreme VDX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Extreme VDX is #22 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. IT Central Station users give Extreme VDX an average rating of 8 out of 10. Extreme VDX is most commonly compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches:Extreme VDX vs Cisco Catalyst Switches. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Extreme VDX?
Brocade VDX Switches support Layer 2 and Layer 3 fabrics with open standards and extensive scalability to deliver high performance, capacity, and reliability for data center spine and leaf deployments. It includes the following products: Brocade VDX 6740 SWITCHES, Brocade VDX 6940 SWITCH and Brocade VDX 8770 SWITCH.

Extreme VDX was previously known as VDX, Brocade VDX.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Extreme VDX Customers
Niagra Falls Bridge Commission, Medien System Partner, CDE Lightband, MaximumASP
Extreme VDX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Extreme VDX pricing:
  • "It was around $1500 a year. It is cheaper than Cisco but more expensive than Ruckus."

Extreme VDX Reviews

MG
Jr Support Technician at a government with 51-200 employees
A simple and stable solution with a web interface and two-factor authentication

• "Its simplicity and web interface were most valuable. I also liked the two-factor authentication."
  • "Its scalability can be better. If possible, it can have Hyper POE. I am not sure if there is a fiber version."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in my previous organization where I was helping with the move to a new building.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity and web interface were most valuable. I also liked the two-factor authentication.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be better. If possible, it can have Hyper POE. I am not sure if there is a fiber version.

I used this solution for three months.

We never had any issues when I was working there. At the same time, it was never updated.

Its scalability is quite limited. We had four buildings merging into one building, and scalability was probably the reason why they didn't proceed with buying more Brocade switches and routers. Basically, we didn't drop these switches. We left them for new people who were taking over.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

I have also used Ruckus. It is easier to set up ACLs and stuff like that in this solution as compared to Ruckus. Ruckus has a great POE, and it is also easy to set up the network the first time, but when it comes to troubleshooting and setting up ACLs, Ruckus is pretty terrible.

It is a little hard to set up. It is not like Cisco that has some straightforward commands. You probably need to read a lot if you are using the terminal, and it is a little tricky. If you are using the web interface, it is pretty straightforward.

I and my partner were maintaining it. I was the technician, and my partner was the admin.

It was around $1500 a year. It is cheaper than Cisco but more expensive than Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation of the current model and always create a backup because anything can happen. I was working in a rural area, and the weather kept interfering with signal strengths and bandwidth.

If you're using the terminal, you have to teach yourself brand new commands. If you are using the web interface, it is pretty straightforward.

I would rate Extreme VDX an eight out of ten.