Extreme VDX OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Extreme VDX is the #20 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Catalyst Switches: Extreme VDX vs Cisco Catalyst Switches

What is Extreme VDX?
Brocade VDX Switches support Layer 2 and Layer 3 fabrics with open standards and extensive scalability to deliver high performance, capacity, and reliability for data center spine and leaf deployments. It includes the following products: Brocade VDX 6740 SWITCHES, Brocade VDX 6940 SWITCH and Brocade VDX 8770 SWITCH.

Extreme VDX is also known as VDX, Brocade VDX.

Download the Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Extreme VDX Customers
Niagra Falls Bridge Commission, Medien System Partner, CDE Lightband, MaximumASP
Extreme VDX Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Extreme VDX pricing:
  • "It was around $1500 a year. It is cheaper than Cisco but more expensive than Ruckus."

Extreme VDX Reviews

MG
Jr Support Technician at a government with 51-200 employees
A simple and stable solution with a web interface and two-factor authentication

• "Its simplicity and web interface were most valuable. I also liked the two-factor authentication."
  • "Its scalability can be better. If possible, it can have Hyper POE. I am not sure if there is a fiber version."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in my previous organization where I was helping with the move to a new building.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity and web interface were most valuable. I also liked the two-factor authentication.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be better. If possible, it can have Hyper POE. I am not sure if there is a fiber version.

I used this solution for three months.

We never had any issues when I was working there. At the same time, it was never updated.

Its scalability is quite limited. We had four buildings merging into one building, and scalability was probably the reason why they didn't proceed with buying more Brocade switches and routers. Basically, we didn't drop these switches. We left them for new people who were taking over.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

I have also used Ruckus. It is easier to set up ACLs and stuff like that in this solution as compared to Ruckus. Ruckus has a great POE, and it is also easy to set up the network the first time, but when it comes to troubleshooting and setting up ACLs, Ruckus is pretty terrible.

It is a little hard to set up. It is not like Cisco that has some straightforward commands. You probably need to read a lot if you are using the terminal, and it is a little tricky. If you are using the web interface, it is pretty straightforward.

I and my partner were maintaining it. I was the technician, and my partner was the admin.

It was around $1500 a year. It is cheaper than Cisco but more expensive than Ruckus.

What other advice do I have?

Read the documentation of the current model and always create a backup because anything can happen. I was working in a rural area, and the weather kept interfering with signal strengths and bandwidth.

If you're using the terminal, you have to teach yourself brand new commands. If you are using the web interface, it is pretty straightforward.

I would rate Extreme VDX an eight out of ten.

JM
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good management, good stability and good scalability

• "The fabric of the solution and the management aspect are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The only problem is that at the moment it's an Extreme product and Extreme is not really pushing it. They have to make up for weak innovation and I'm not sure if they want to do that."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Brocade sold the VDX product line to Extreme Networks. Extreme have now different fabric tchnologies. L2 Fabrics from Brocade (VDX) and Avaya, L3 Fabrics from Brocade (SLX). So, it is difficult to make a dicision, what will be the next strategic Approach for Extreme. There was not really Firmware Upgrades over the last two years, so it Looks like, the VDX will loose this battle.

I've been using the solution since its first release.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

We've never had to reach out to technical support.

Very easy, plug-and-play.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is quite good overall. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

It's now part of Extreme and Extreme is no longer pushing it as a product. I haven't seen any development of this product over the last year and that is the main issue with the solution. There have been no newer releases and no really good bug fixes. I don't need new features, but having a new release or having some higher speed levels on there, just might be nice. I don't know if the solution has a future because the company doesn't seem to be investing in updates or improvements.