ExtremeCloud IQ Overview

ExtremeCloud IQ is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Network Management Applications. It is most often compared to Ruckus Wireless: ExtremeCloud IQ vs Ruckus Wireless

What is ExtremeCloud IQ?

ExtremeCloud is a resilient and scalable cloud-based network management solution offered by Extreme Networks as a subscription service.

The network is your platform of engagement for clients and staff. We have designed ExtremeCloud to provide superior user experience by empowering you and the applications that drive your business. The combination of Extreme Networks’ smart wired and wireless edges and the elasticity, resilience and scalability provided via state-of-the-art datacenters distributed strategically for worldwide availability allows you to respond to the changing needs of your business, at the speed of cloud, through a simple, multi-site aware user interface.

ExtremeCloud IQ is also known as Aerohive Networks, Aerohive HiveManager, HiveManager, ExtremeCloud .

Download the Network Management Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

ExtremeCloud IQ Customers

Henry Ford Health System, Baltimore Ravens, Brandili, Federal University of Alagoas, CEDAE, Caxias do Sul, UNISC Concurrency, CenturyLink Field, Louisiana College, Cricket Tasmania Stadium, Moscow Internet Exchange

ExtremeCloud IQ Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

User at UAS
Reseller
Being a controller-less solution makes it more cost effective and gives more flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers for this solution. The primary use case is for wifi for enterprises and for hotspots for telecom operators.

What is most valuable?

Being a controller-less solution is more cost effective and gives more flexibility.

Less than one year.

The stability is good.

It is scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward. The deployment time depends on the size of the project but it has a normal wifi installation, site surveys, and connectivity between the management, the HiveManager, and the access points.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

President at Marine Alignment, Inc.
​HiveManager is useful for managing APs and switches from one cloud interface.

What is our primary use case?

30,000 sq ft manufacturing and admin facility, three stories with three distinct networks- production, guest, and barcode scanners so voice/data, guest, and IoT.

• "HiveManager is incredibly useful for managing APs and switches from one cloud interface."
  • "Need port aggregation on the 2384 switches to take full advantage of ac on the APs. I understand that is on their product road map."

What other advice do I have?

I believe Aerohive is committed to being a leader in this space and that their APs for the enterprise campus are the best available. I would like to see port aggregation on the switches but have been told that's on the roadmap, and that's acceptable at this time. HiveManager make the whole process of configuration and management of the network so much easier. I'm a fan.
Find out what your peers are saying about Extreme, Cisco, IBM and others in Network Management Applications. Updated: May 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Administrator at University of Kelaniya
HiveManager is extremely easy to use for anyone with little network experience

What is our primary use case?

WLAN deployment for girls' hostels of the University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka. It has four hostel complexes for in-house undergraduates. Our University has the largest WLAN deployment in Sri Lanka. Now, we are expanding it to cover all rooms in the hostels. This time, we are seeking a cloud-based system with BYOD.

• "HiveManager is extremely easy to use for anyone with little network experience."
  • "The cloud-based controller through HiveManager is its most valuable feature. I can manage and configure changes to my access points from anywhere."
  • "Browser load time for the cloud is long and needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

The cloud interface is decent. It has a smooth dashboard. Aerohive has been the perfect fit for a University like us. I am the Senior Network Administrator of the University. I am thrilled that I have no worries about our wireless network.
SG
Director of Technology at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
User
Allows us to fully manage all our wireless radios, ensuring consistency and ease of access

What is our primary use case?

We use Aerohive as our campus wireless solution. The cloud-based management interface allows us to fully manage all our wireless radios, ensuring consistency and ease of access.

• "The cloud-based management interface allows us to fully manage all our wireless radios, ensuring consistency and ease of access."
  • "The cloud management gives us the tools and reports that we need to monitor and troubleshoot the network."
  • "We have had some mediocre to poor experiences with tech support: Conflicting information, condescending attitudes, and reluctance to work to resolve an issue."
CEO with 1-10 employees
Integrated firewall in every AP (with DPI inspection) is a key, yet standard, feature

• "a true controller-less approach, where each Access Point is 100% independent from the management system."
  • "Integrated Firewall in every AP (with DPI inspection) is a killer feature and it is included already in the price of licence (with others, this feature is an add-on licence)."
  • "The feature that I like to most is unified management in a multitenant environment, where we can manage all our customers with thousands of devices (routers, switches, VPNs, and APs)."
  • "From our perspective, we would love to see Aerohive provide faster feature enhancement in their Virtual Appliance to match the features with the cloud solution more quickly."
  • "The Virtual Appliance crashed once while doing an upgrade. The good thing here is, even if the management system fails, all our networks and features still remain 100% stable and working."

What other advice do I have?

Start small and grow big. You can choose the basic Aerohive Connect free subscription solution and, later, if needed (in terms of functionality) you can upgrade to Aerohive Select.
Network Administrator at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our transaction polling is now way more secure

What is our primary use case?

We have BR200-LTE-VZ branch routers at each of our retail locations providing primary and backup connectivity to the stores.

How has it helped my organization?

The ease of management is great. We can have a single push of a policy to configure a unit, then bring up in the VPN in minutes. It is great!

What is most valuable?

The HiveManager integration with the VPN Gateway is awesome. Our transaction polling is now way more secure.

What needs improvement?

The user interface and disparity of feature releases versus golden firmware.  Certain features only exist or work in certain versions.

Network Technician Intern at a tech services company
We found that the AP250s perform better than the competition at almost half the cost

• "Whenever I have a concern, question, or just need a refresher the helpful staff at AeroHive is there to help me. By far, the ]best relationship I have ever had with a vendor."
  • "A mobile app would be awesome."
Technology Integration Specialist at a non-tech company
I love the hive manager for finding a device that a student has misplaced.

• "The few times we have needed help, Aerohive has been there for us and I am confident that If I need them they will be there again."
    Manager - IT Infrastructure at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Some of the valuable features include controller-less APs and Auto-Provisioning.

• "App and firewall security at the AP."
    • "Their firewall configuration gets funky and it can be difficult to understand."

What other advice do I have?

You will not regret buying this solution.
    ICT manager at a tech services company
    Controllerless and the Config tool is available as SaaS.

What other advice do I have?

If you start a new network immediately switch to HiveManager NG. Don't waste your time setting up your system in the old management solution as you will have to move anyway somewhen.
    IT Administrator II at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Cloud management through HiveManager NG is their most valuable feature.

• "It allows me to see APs and clients that are having issues, allowing for faster support response and less downtime."
    • "I would like to see a remote phone application for monitoring APs when on the road."

What other advice do I have?

We have been extremely pleased with the quality, ease of setup and cloud management of the Aerohive APs. I would not hesitate to purchase this product again.
    User at a educational organization
    There is one interface to configure and go to as we manage our network.

What other advice do I have?

With multiple tasks, Aerohive has been a huge time saver and streamlined our IT tasks. It has improved the readability of our wireless network.
    Level 3 Support Technician at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like the ability to connect unconfigured Branch Routers to the internet and they find there way back to our system so we can set them up.

What other advice do I have?

This system has been very decent system and has held up through the 5 years I have been here. I believe we will continue to use Aerohive when we go to upgrade.
    Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
    The hardware is stable and the APIs are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Scalable Good managament/monitoring system Stable hardware Lot of features APIs

How has it helped my organization?

The management/monitoring system really helps a lot in managing and monitoring the WiFi environment.

What needs improvement?

Support could be faster.

I have used it since 2013.

We encountered some bugs in certain software versions.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is very good.…
    Hawaiian Best at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    I like their support.

What is most valuable?

All of its features are valuable to me.

How has it helped my organization?

90% improvement in getting connections for the students/staff.

What needs improvement?

Stronger connection for an old building with cement walls.

I have been using it for four years.

I encountered a bunch of deployment issues, but online tech support resolved the problems quickly.

It is a little difficult to get a good connection through cement walls.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service:…
    Vice President Operations at a non-profit with 51-200 employees

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Aerohive to anyone seeking a robust cloud-based WIFI system. We have been pleased with the product features, reliability, and their technical support.
    Systems Integrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Valuable: ​Cloud-based controller and L3 roaming. I would like automatic channel assignment algorithms improved.

What other advice do I have?

Don't believe promises of training. Get your training before you make a purchase commitment, or find another vendor's solution.
    Admin at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
    So far, the scalability and reliability are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

Aerohive has been a very good solution for us, and we have always been able to get great service and great support.
    IT Admin at a engineering company with 501-1,000 employees
    Distributed networking with centralized management

What other advice do I have?

We integrated Aerohive into our Cisco-centric environment in 2008 and never looked back. Subsequently, when Aerohive offered other layer two devices, specifically switches, we opted to begin to upgrade our older Cisco access switches with Aerohive devices.
    Director of Technology at a educational organization
    The Hive Manager is easy to use and navigate, even for someone with little network experience.

What other advice do I have?

When you are considering a move to Aerohive, ask if you can get a sample device to run on your network. I did this, played around with it for a while, and it helped tremendously.
    Vice President of Information Technology at a tech services company
    Management can be done with either an onsite appliance or a virtual appliance.

What other advice do I have?

The cloud version of the controller is a little better supported than the on-premises version. Only select the onsite version if there are security concerns.
    Windows/Mac Network Administrator at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    The ability to manage the wifi from the cloud and not needing to have an on premise controller is great.

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a great solution and as more and more technology changes come out it should only get better. They are priced right and fairly user friendly to setup for someone with not much wifi experience.
    ICT Systems Manager at a educational organization
    Cloud management enables me to monitor my wireless network offsite and make required changes.

What other advice do I have?

Aerohive is hands down the best wireless network provider I have used. Their products are affordable, realisable and packed with features! The company is excellent in all areas and it is apparent they are about their customers experiences.
    IT Director at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
    We evaluated Meraki prior to choosing Aerohive. At the time, Meraki did not support PPSK's, which was a requirement for our network.

What other advice do I have?

The overall experience is very good. The best part is that it can be managed with a skeleton IT support team.
    -- at a government
    Devices are easy to configure. The online tool is easy to navigate.

What other advice do I have?

Aerohive is a great company to deal with. You feel like a part of the family. The product is top notch - you will not have any regrets.
    Systems Administrator at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
    We like the ability to distribute policies based on AD group membership

What other advice do I have?

I'd encourage anyone to use Aerohive products, they've been trouble free, they're timely with upgrades (including new functionality). Built in spectrum analysis!
    IT Associate at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It operates in a controller-less fashion. The APs can function if connectivity is lost.
    Jr. IT Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy and consistent deployments allow for a seamless user experience and lowers the chances for administrative mistakes.

What other advice do I have?

Buy it!
    Information Technology Associate at a library with 51-200 employees
    The controller-less device management, built-in captive web portal, and reporting are the most valuable features.
    Network Administrator at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
    As long as you have a PoE switch you can put an AP up to 100m away without issue.​

What other advice do I have?

Everyone I’ve dealt with at Aerohive has been wonderful, down to David Coleman, the main trainer. I have taken a couple of their classes and that helped with the initial and then the advanced setup items. I’ve worked with Abby and a few others through orders and they have all been stellar.
    Wireless Network Engineer at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have been able to run State Assessment testing on laptops and iPads this year where in the past this was not even a consideration.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

We had to negotiate over the price. Otherwise, the product has no issues.

1 year

None at all.

Absolutely none a very stable system.

Customer Service: Great customer service have not had a single issue with them. Technical Support: Great support for their product.

Network / Telephony Coordinator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Built in mapping ability, built in survey ability, Client Classification Policy (to be able to move clients to the appropriate VLAN), and PPSK are the most valuable features.
    Information Technology Coordinator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Hive Manager allows you to control all aspects of your WiFi network, from anywhere.

What other advice do I have?

No. No. No. I have no additional comments or advice, but I do have a suggestion, that the 120 character minimum is removed from these reviews.
    Architect/Engineer, Analyst, Researcher, Writer at Postmodern Security
    The new Hivemanager NG product is a 100% improvement, making configuration even easier.

What other advice do I have?

Dump Cisco and run, do not walk, to Aerohive. In my personal experience, the support staff and sales people are excellent and very helpful.
    Enterprise Server & Support Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's nice to have a single interface to configure, troubleshoot and remediate any issues.
    Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    ​The setup is straightforward and the deep configurations are more robust than Meraki devices. Even though it's a robust product, it's not very intuitive.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product that works fine. Also, its configuration is very robust.

What needs improvement?

It needs to have a good Layer 7 and a better user interface. And even though it's a robust product, it's not very intuitive.

We had no issues with the deployment.

It's a stable device and we haven't had any issues with instability.

There have been no issues scaling it.

I haven't needed to contact technical support.

We also use Meraki MX and MR devices.

How was the initial

Director of Technology at Central Catholic High School
    We have been able to increase the bandwidth accessible to our users ten-fold though RADIUS server authentication with our MS Active Directory.
    Network Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    In our environment, we set it up with the L3 roaming feature, and it all seems to work fine.
    Technology Specialist at a hospitality company with 501-1,000 employees
    With minimal knowledge and experience, I was able to deploy it. We've had little issues with stability, but most were solved quickly with updates.

What is most valuable?

I've found Hive Manager to be the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

We went from a very unsophisticated wifi solution to an completely managed Aerohive setup. With minimal knowledge and experience, I was able to deploy a robust wireless solution that just works. For me, this was basically a plug-and-play situation.

We've used it for approximately 3 years.

There were no issues with deployment.

There have been no issues with scalability. …
    System Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    The amount of data that you can get out of the system gives you a great look into your network.
    Systems Administrator, Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It's more robust, reliable and easier to mange than our last solution. The initial setup was complex, though no more complex than a similar wireless solution.

Valuable Features

I have found user profiles and auto provisioning to be the two most valuable features.

Improvements to My Organization

Aerohive is significantly more robust, reliable and easier to mange (from anywhere) than our last solution.

Room for Improvement

The initial setup was complex, but no more complex than a similar wireless solution.

Use of Solution

We have used this solution for 3 years.

Customer Service: Our VAR/customer service is very responsive and always goes the extra mile. Technical Support: Tech support is excellent. We used our "trial" period to not only trial the solution, but to also trial tech support. If the support had not been excellent, I would have never purchased the product no matter how good it…
    Enterprise Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We spend less time configuring/maintaining/troubleshooting controllers at a multitude of sites. The initial configuration may seem a little daunting but is worth it.

What other advice do I have?

The initial configuration of the Aerohive solution may seem a little daunting, but it is worth it and becomes a lot easier as you begin to use it and understand how it works. If you are coming from a multi-controller environment, you will be extremely happy.
    Network Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It enabled mobility and district-wide consistent performance.

What other advice do I have?

It has been a total success and well-received by our staff and students. If you need a wireless infrastructure, you cannot go wrong with Aerohive.
    Senior Engineer- Network Consulting at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stability could be improved but the multitude of features is valuable

What is most valuable?

Flexible Configuration Multitude of features Cloud Management

How has it helped my organization?

Rediced TCO Simplified troubleshooting Simplified network mangement

What needs improvement?

Stability UI Layout

One year (AP121)

Yes, we had problems integrating it with Novell.

Yes, problems with user handovers and load balancing across multiple APs.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: No direct access to vendor tech support, but distributor support (Aero-IT) is 9/10. Technical Support:…
    Principal System Engineer at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Very easy to configure with a private and guest SSID although the UI needs improving

What other advice do I have?

Try it out as a demo first. It might not suit everyone’s need.
    IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    A better UI is needed as it's more complex than other vendor's interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise you to take a good course that is organised by an AeroHive vendor.
    Senior Security and Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Initial deployment is very easy but tuning and understanding can take some time

What other advice do I have?

Initial deployment is very easy but tuning and understanding of all things at management can take some time. Once it is set and working – it is very good solution with wide range of possibilities.
    Voice Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
    Easy web interface for general system maintenance makes the product a joy to work with despite the some software bugs
    Sr. Network Systems Engineer at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
    A "set it and forget it" product but sometimes data plane on the AP's would randomly stop forwarding traffic

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to have a bake-off try Aerohive last because you won't want to take it out. Take this from someone who is about to sit the CCIE Route/Switch lab, just because it doesn't say Cisco doesn't mean it isn't top notch gear.
    Network Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    A bit pricey but worth it because of the features and support
    IT Director with 51-200 employees
    Allowed us to take the guesswork out of managing a wireless network. Ease of setup and deployment could be simplified.

What other advice do I have?

For any wireless network implementation, a wireless survey of the space is key to a successful deployment. As for Aerohive specifically, stay away from older B/G devices if you can keep them off your network, and keep the radio power as low as you can manage to avoid issues with surrounding wireless networks…especially in congested areas/cities.