ExtremeManagement OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ExtremeManagement is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Network Management Applications. It is most often compared to SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager: ExtremeManagement vs SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager

What is ExtremeManagement?

Extreme Management Center (formerly NetSight) provides access to web-based reporting, network analysis, troubleshooting, and helpdesk tools. Management Center includes wired/wireless dashboards, reports, end-system information and policy, interactive topology maps, application identification, web-based FlexViews, device views, and event logs. NetFlow diagnostics enable assessment of network issues and performance. Search functionality enables you to search for end-systems by MAC address, IP address, end-system name, or user name.

ExtremeManagement Buyer's Guide

Download the ExtremeManagement Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ExtremeManagement Customers

Henry Ford Health System, Baltimore Ravens, Brandili, Federal University of Alagoas, CEDAE, Caxias do Sul, UNISC Concurrency, CenturyLink Field, Louisiana College, Cricket Tasmania Stadium, Moscow Internet Exchange

ExtremeManagement Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ExtremeManagement pricing:
  • "The support is billed on a yearly basis, and there are no additional costs."
  • "It has a good price. There is a good relationship between the cost and the performance."

ExtremeManagement Reviews

Robert Zdzieblo
IT specialist at SimTel Sp. z o. o.
Very easy management with good stability and very responsive technical support

• "The best thing about the solution is that it is all managed from just a single application window. We call this feature a single pane of glass due to the fact that almost all the features are all managed within a single application, or a browser, to be more specific."
  • "Some features are quite difficult to configure and they are very complicated to figure out. Maybe the vendors should introduce a more driven configuration that can clarify the processes a bit more to make the processes more clearly defined."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used generally for network device management, like switches, routers, and other kinds of appliances. We also use it for things like network access control solutions, which are incorporated into this management solution and networking traffic analytic solutions.

It is a combined solution, it's not only used for the device management and configuration but also for things like network control and application analytics.

What is most valuable?

The best thing about the solution is that it is all managed from just a single application window. We call this feature a single pane of glass due to the fact that almost all the features are all managed within a single application, or a browser, to be more specific.

You don't have to switch between different applications or between different windows. You have it all in a single window pane. It's all extremely convenient.

You can incorporate the net management features and network access control features into other vendors and manage it all within a single management product.

What needs improvement?

Some features are quite difficult to configure and they are very complicated to figure out. Maybe the vendors should introduce a more driven configuration that can clarify the processes a bit more to make the processes more clearly defined.

They should think more about incorporating their wireless solutions into this management product, as it's not widely deployed at the moment. They have quite a wide-ranging portfolio of wireless solutions, however, they are not managed well in the current release of management solutions.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is definitely stable. We don't experience crashes. It's reliable. If there are any bugs, they are quickly identified and removed as soon as possbile. All enhancements and new features are well documented in release notes.

The solution is scalable, I would say even by default, due to the fact that you have different application images that are suitable for small environments or for larger enterprise environments. You have a job prepared for each scenario. I would therefore describe it as extremely scalable.

I have contacted technical support many times. Usually, they are very efficient and they can solve the issue very fast. Even if I call in the evening, they are able to solve most of the issues immediately, during the first call. I've been very satisfied with their level of service.

I've had very little experience with other solutions, and definitely none of them have been studied and worked with as much as I have with this product. This solution really stands out for me for its ease of management and networking aspects.

The solution is neither straightforward nor complex. It's got an intermediate amount of difficulty. You need to know a bit about what you are doing, however, it's not difficult per se.

The time it takes to deploy the solution really depends on how many devices you have, as well as how they are interconnected and how they are configured. For the customer, it takes a couple of days for the whole environment to be implemented.

In terms of pricing, in general, all you have to pay is what is called Xtreme Works or Partner Works. It's a support fee. If you want to have the right to get the updates or to call for support, you have to pay for this kind of service. Otherwise, you're not eligible to download updates and call for global assistance.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Xtreme partner and we sell the solutions to our customers.

I would strongly suggest other companies at least try to use the solution. You can ask any partner of Xtreme to run a demo of this management product. It will give you a good sense of what to expect. One thing that I would mention is that you can operate the solution not only with Xtreme's equipment but with many other vendors like Cisco or HP. It's great.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's almost perfect as a product. We really enjoy using it.

CJ
Co-Owner at xtreme works inc
Increases efficiency and reduces costs through remote configuration and management

• "I need fewer people to do implementation and support, and I don't have to go on-site to change the configuration or otherwise support the switch."
  • "It would be helpful if this solution had support for configuring and managing third-party hardware devices."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to manage our Extreme switches. We also assist customers with the integration of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has made our job more efficient. We need fewer people to do implementation and support, and we don't have to go on-site to change the configuration or otherwise support the switch. Overall, this solution is very helpful in terms of improving efficiency and reducing costs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to manage different configurations for different switches. When a configuration is modified, the changes made are logged in history, and we can roll back to a previous version if we need to. The history contains a store of all of the previous configurations.

We can also automate the configuration process. For example, if we have to replace something on a malfunctioning switch then we can put in the serial number and it will continue on its own. We don't need a trained person to be on-site to replace the switch.

When it comes to configuration and management, we can even take care of these tasks remotely.

What needs improvement?

This solution has support for monitoring switches from other vendors, although the ability to manage them is limited. It would be helpful if this solution had support for configuring and managing third-party hardware devices. This would require cooperation between vendors, but if they are willing then it would improve this product.

About four years.

I do not recall having any issues with the stability of this product.

This is a very scalable solution.

We have between two and three thousand end users.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

Quite some time ago, we did use other solutions. We could see that this technology was leading edge, without the corresponding costs as compared to the other market leaders.

The initial setup for this solution is straightforward, and it is very easy to use.

The deployment time is dependent more on project management/schedule than the solution itself.

There is no additional staff required in order to maintain this solution. In fact, using this tool reduces the requirement for personnel.

We are an integrator and handle our own deployment. We also handle the implementation of this solution for our customers.

We do realize cost savings with this solution, but we have not made any formal calculations. Financially, this solution makes sense.

The licensing fees are calculated on a per-node basis, which is determined by the number of users. The support is billed on a yearly basis, and there are no additional costs.

This is the default solution for our customers. If it can handle the requirements and the customer is happy then we do not look for other tools. We receive feedback from our clients who have compared products that they have used previously, and they are very happy with this solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution that can really help you to manage and reduce your costs. You only need to have one skillset, as opposed to multiple skillsets. It is a very attractive solution from both a technical and a cost standpoint.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a systems integrator for networking and network security solutions.
Learn what your peers think about ExtremeManagement. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EC
Pre-sales manager at RETO Industrial S.A. de. C.V.
Good reporting, simplified management, good price, and easy to deploy and configure

• "The report model is one of the valuable models. We are able to see all the information concentrated in reports, which is very useful. We are able to get the information about the performance of the equipment and check that everything is okay. You can get very useful information across applications, so we have very good experience with their management solutions. It has many functionalities to simplify the administration and monitor the development of the switches or AP. It is easy to deploy, easy to configure. and easy to develop. Its price is also good."
  • "They can improve the information period. Currently, we are able to have information for only 14 or 15 days, but we would like to have information for an extended period of maybe 30 days. Their technical support can also be improved in terms of the response time to the tickets."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor the performance of the equipment. We use this in order to get the information about whether the performance of the equipment is okay and whether there is some problem that needs to be corrected. Currently, we are using the latest version of Extreme Management Center.

What is most valuable?

The report model is one of the valuable models. We are able to see all the information concentrated in reports, which is very useful. We are able to get the information about the performance of the equipment and check that everything is okay.

You can get very useful information across applications, so we have very good experience with their management solutions. It has many functionalities to simplify the administration and monitor the development of the switches or AP.

It is easy to deploy, easy to configure. and easy to develop. Its price is also good.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the information period. Currently, we are able to have information for only 14 or 15 days, but we would like to have information for an extended period of maybe 30 days.

I have been using this solution for 15 years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. In terms of the number of people using this solution in our organization, we are divided into two areas: pre-sales area and post-sales area. In the post-sales area, we have five engineers dedicated to developing the proposals for Extreme. In the post-sales area, we have maybe 15 engineers who are designing it to deploy the projects.

Usually, their technical support is good. Sometimes, they take more time than expected to respond to tickets, which can be improved.

Its initial setup is very easy. It doesn't take more than a couple of hours. It is very fast to implement, but it also depends on the experience of the engineer who is in charge of doing the implementation or configuration.

It has a good price. There is a good relationship between the cost and the performance.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. Our experience has been good. It is easy to deploy, configure, and develop, and its performance is good. In general, we are satisfied with Extreme.

Extreme is a good vendor. They have been doing well for the last three years. They are trying to develop new solutions. They have an interesting new cloud solution, which is able to give our customers complete functionality and good performance at a good price.

I would rate ExtremeManagement a nine out of ten.

Download our free ExtremeManagement Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.