ExtremeWireless OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ExtremeWireless is the #14 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN: ExtremeWireless vs Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN

What is ExtremeWireless?
Extreme ExtremeWireless Access Points deliver wired-like performance, at scale for high-density in every environment. Smart Access Points are equally adept for both distributed and centralized deployment models. ExtremeWireless Controllers provide advanced functionality to allow organizations to define how wireless voice/video/data traffic is processed without architectural constraints and in accordance with business needs.

Download the Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ExtremeWireless Customers
St. Xavier High School, Americatel, Diamond Light Source
ExtremeWireless Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ExtremeWireless pricing:
  • "There are both paid and free licenses of the cloud environment, with only basic functionality in the free version."
  • "The solution is priced well and we currently are only paying for a license for maintenance."
  • "The purchase of 350 access points cost approximately $250,000 USD."

ExtremeWireless Reviews

Gassan Armouti
CEO at SOLTEK IT
Reseller
A stable and secure solution that is straightforward to implement

• "The security is very good."
  • "The current product line is very high-level and is well suited for enterprise-level organizations, but they need a more cost-effective solution for smaller businesses."

What is our primary use case?

This product is typically used to cover normal Wi-Fi applications, such as the hospitality sector or small companies. We have been involved in lots of projects where we have installed this solution for our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is part of an all-in-one solution for voice and wireless data. It has all of the basic features that the customers need.

The security is very good.

What needs improvement?

We began using this solution when it was Avaya Wireless, starting about ten years ago.

This product is very stable.

This solution scales very well. We have not yet had problems scaling up to the number of access points that are needed. Our customers are a mix of medium-sized and enterprise-level businesses.

The technical support is good. Their team is very helpful if you need it.

I have also worked with similar products from Aruba.

The initial setup is straightforward, typically taking about an hour to deploy. As long as the access points have been installed and are powered up, it takes about an hour to configure.

Our in-house team deploys this solution for our clients. Typically, two or three people are involved, depending on the size of the project.

What other advice do I have?

With the inception of the Extreme Cloud, we are now in the process of migrating all of our customers to that cloud-based deployment.

Concerning Extreme Wireless, our customers are happy and I haven't had any specific requests for new features.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to take the required training.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

ED
Product manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good support, easy to manage, and excels in the cloud environment

• "The technical support from Extreme Networks is perfect."
  • "The ability to integrate with network devices from other vendors would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are a distributor for various networking products and ExtremeWireless is one of the solutions that we have experience with. We do between 2,000 and 3,000 projects a year for industries such as hospitality, entertainment, and education.

What is most valuable?

Their main power is the cloud environment because it's much better than the others in the market.

This product is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

We have used this product for about 11 years, since before Aerohive was acquired by Extreme Networks.

Stability is 100% because we have never had an experience with faulty hardware. This is a product that we will continue to distribute.

In terms of scalability, so far, we haven't found a project that it wasn't able to fulfill. I think that officially, they go up to more than 10,000 IPs. We don't have such big companies in the Netherlands.

The technical support from Extreme Networks is perfect. If we have an issue then there's always very quick response and we don't have any problems. As we are trained to give support to our clients, it is only on rare occasions that we need vendor support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is all based in the cloud, so it's very simple.

We are fully trained to give our customers the second and third-line support.

There are both paid and free licenses of the cloud environment, with only basic functionality in the free version. The paid version is priced to fit the market. Suitability of one over the other depends on the customer's needs.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and one that I recommend.

Find out what your peers are saying about Extreme, Aruba Networks, Cisco and others in Wireless LAN. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
US
Senior Manager, Information Technology at a university with 201-500 employees
Quick and easy to deploy with good scalability

• "It's reliable and works well. It's pretty stable."
  • "The solution should offer better support."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless coverage.

What is most valuable?

The solution doesn't have any issues. It's reliable and works well. It's pretty stable.

The solution scales well.

The installation process is pretty easy and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

The solution should offer better support. It's not as good as it could be right now.

We've been using the solution for five years or so. It's been a while at this point.

The stability is pretty good. If there are any issues, we are able to easily deal with them.

The product is scalable. We can expand it when we need to.

At our company, we have 500 users on the solution.

We would prefer it if the support was a bit better. It could be faster. We find it's not as good as, for example, Cisco.

We also have experience using Cisco. We find their support better. We also use HPE solutions.

We found the installation process to be simple. It's straightforward and not difficult by any means.

The deployment is also fast and takes maybe two to three hours or so.

We were able to handle the deployment ourselves with the help of technical support.

You do need to pay a licensing fee. Currently, we are upgrading. We pay an annual licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot speak to the exact version number we are using at this time.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're quite happy with its capabilities.

So far, I would recommend the product to other organizations.

GG
IT Production Engineer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Easy to manage, good technical support, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using ExtremeWireless for our wireless network environment.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use and manage. Overall it is very simple to understand and users do not know it is a cloud solution.

What needs improvement?

The reports could prove in ExtremeWireless. However, we are in the early stages of use and we might be able to configure them better.

I have been using ExtremeWireless for approximately a couple of months.

The solution is stable.

I have found ExtremeWireless to be scalable. We have approximately 200 users using this solution in my organization.

How are

What is our primary use case?

We are using ExtremeWireless for our wireless network environment.

What needs improvement?

I have been using ExtremeWireless for approximately a couple of months.

The solution is stable.

I have found ExtremeWireless to be scalable.

We have approximately 200 users using this solution in my organization.

We had to use the support once when we had an issue on the portal and they were very good and resolved our issue.

I have previously used other solutions before ExtremeWireless.

The installation and migration were very good from Aerohive to ExtremeWireless.

We have one technician that does the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate ExtremeWireless an eight out of ten.

GH
IT Director at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
Perfectly stable, and the documentation makes the setup procedure easy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to support wireless infrastructure for the K-12 environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

The management portal is in need of improvement. In the next release, I would like to see more granular search functions in the administration portal.

I have been using Extreme for about 13 years, since it was known as Aerohive.

The stability is 100%, which is why I chose them.

This product is absolutely scalable. I just bought 350 access points to replace my existing infrastructure, and we support approximately 3,200 individuals.…

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to support wireless infrastructure for the K-12 environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Extreme for about 13 years, since it was known as Aerohive.

The stability is 100%, which is why I chose them.

The support is superb.

The initial setup was convoluted, but once we worked it out with help from the documentation, it was simple.

We completed the deployment with our in-house team.

The purchase of 350 access points cost approximately $250,000 USD.

We researched Ruckus Wireless but ultimately chose to use Extreme.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Extreme Wireless is not to use MAC address filtering.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Joris Van den Bergh
Team Leader Solution Specialists at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The fabric completely integrates with wireless

What is our primary use case?

The version that we install depends on the customer. ExtremeWireless has two different types. There are the campus and cloud options. We mostly focus on the campus option. ExtremeWirless is good for every enterprise ogranization. It's a set of network management tools.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the most valuable features, I like the integration with the fabric. The network fabric completely integrates with wireless as well. You can fully automate the installation and integration of the switching and the device portfolio within one fabric and management framework.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see more security features.

I have been using ExtremeWireless for about…

What is our primary use case?

ExtremeWirless is good for every enterprise ogranization.

It's a set of network management tools.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see more security features.

I have been using ExtremeWireless for about five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Extreme Wireless a nine out of ten.