F5 Advanced WAF OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 Advanced WAF is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Web Application Firewalls. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure Application Gateway: F5 Advanced WAF vs Microsoft Azure Application Gateway

What is F5 Advanced WAF?

F5's Advanced WAF is built on proven F5 technology and goes beyond reactive security such as static signatures and reputation to proactively detect and mitigate bots, secure credentials and sensitive data, and defend against application denial-of-service (DoS). Advanced WAF redefines application security to address the most prevalent threats organizations face today.

Advanced WAF is offered as an appliance, virtual edition, and as a managed service—providing automated WAF services that meet complex deployment and management requirements while protecting your apps with great precision. It is the most effective solution for guarding modern applications and data from existing and emerging threats while maintaining compliance with key regulatory mandates.

Advanced WAF redefines application security to address the most prevalent threats organizations face today:

•Web attacks that steal credentials and gain unauthorized access across user accounts.
•Application layer attacks that evade static security based on reputation and manual signatures.
•New attack surfaces and threats due to the rapid adoption of APIs.
•OWASP Top 10 vulnerabilities

F5 Advanced WAF Buyer's Guide

Download the F5 Advanced WAF Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

F5 Advanced WAF Customers

MAXIMUS, Vivo, American Systems, Bangladesh Post Office, City Bank

F5 Advanced WAF Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Shiran Cohen
Cyber & Security Application Delivery Expert at Hewlett Packard Enterprise
A stable solution with an easy setup and good technical support

• "The anti-bot protection is the solution's most valuable feature. Safe-guard or credential staffing are also useful features."
  • "The solution's dashboard could be improved. When you're moving from policy to policy, the logs and the integration of the logs in other systems aren't straightforward."

What other advice do I have?

We're using several versions of the solution; anything between versions 12 to 14. I would recommend the solution. It's the best option for WAF, at least in the last year or so. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.
GD
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Inspects traffic and automatically creates distinct qualities but it's not so advanced

• "This solution inspects your traffic and based on that, automatically create distinct qualities for you, so you can add this to the policy already created. That's what I like most."
  • "I would not expect traffic details to pass through the web application firewall across the length of the whole application. I think that there is a web application where it can let the application function without traffic going in into the WAF."

What other advice do I have?

I would want to use ASM, or Area Security Manager, which I would rate as seven of ten. That offers lending passability, where the device should be able to lend or call the application and know the component of an application.
Learn what your peers think about F5 Advanced WAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hillary Ugwuanyi
Head IT Infrasrtucture at ActivEdge
A robust solution that is efficient, scalable, and highly secure

• "The solution isn't too expensive. The license allows you to license what you need and leave out what you don't need."
  • "The solution is tedious. It takes a lot of discrete settings so one needs to get detailed and granular when they use the solution. It takes you a whole lot of energy and concentration to configure. It needs to be much more straight-forward, like other web solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We currently deal with the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend the solution for use as an efficient firewall. Security is a complex thing, however, and I would advise others to use multiple vendors for different layers. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.
YT
IT Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Enables our website to work faster and better and it has a lower impact on our server

What is our primary use case?

We use this program 24/7 as a firewall to block malicious requests. We update regularly.

• "I definitely recommend this solution because of the time you save on analysis."
  • "One thing that can be improved, is to increase the quantity over predefine policy."

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend this solution because of the time you save on analysis. It is a stable program and you get additional features. The more you work on it, the more features you discover. I rate this solution ten out of ten.
Shiran Cohen
Cyber & Security Application Delivery Expert at Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Top solution for WAF, with a simple initial set up

• "The best solution for WAF."
  • "I think the deployment templates can be better."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It would be the best solution for WAF. I think the dashboard can be improved. When you move from the policy to policy, the logs and the integration of the logs are without a system. Maybe make it like other SIEM systems and system servers like Splunk. They do have a lot of training videos and manuals. This helps. But not really about integration or feature improvement. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
OS
Senior Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Improves the protection for web applications in production from MySQL injection attacks

What is our primary use case?

We use F5 Advanced WAF to protect some of our web applications and web services. We use F5 Advanced WAF as a web application firewall in production. Our clients are liable for the security of applications on the internet because they are in the banking services sector.

• "With F5 Advanced WAF, it was protection for online publications and for our customers that caused us to choose the platform."
  • "F5 Advanced WAF needs better integration within the application, like remote dashboards."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to recommend F5 Advanced WAF for use. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate F5 Advanced WAF a nine.
PM
Security Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Scans a lot of traffic to protect the corporate web server

What is our primary use case?

We use the F5 Web Application firewall to protect our corporate web server. The security of our web is our absolute highest priority.

• "The most valuable feature is artificial intelligence and to get extra internal access."
  • "The administrator's user interface and some of the settings can sometimes be very complicated to understand."

What other advice do I have?

I will rate the product a nine out of ten.
Georges Samaha
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Offers a plethora of features and has perfect stability

• "I like them because I like the security solution. They get extra marks compared to other solutions or competitors. There are more features than any other product I can think of. They're always monitoring, and the security features offer more than other, lesser products."
  • "You have to buy another module with an extra license, to have the authentication feature."

What other advice do I have?

We are a partner for F5, or a system integrator, not the client. So we do the implementation for other companies. I've been working with F5 for more than 10 years, so I know them very well. I like them because I like the security solution. They get extra marks compared to other solutions or competitors. There are more features than any other product I can think of. They're always monitoring, and the security features offer more than other, lesser products. I would rate this solution 10 out of 10.
RT
Senior Network Engineer at PECCO
Helps with blocking attacks on web applications

What is our primary use case?

We are a PPS payment providing services company in banking, so, we are using it for that. We are banking company and we are using it as a web application firewall.

• "The initial setup was was easy to install."
  • "People who want to work with the device have to be pro in Linux"

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution 8 out of 10. We are concerned about the other factors but it's actually not F5 company's fault. The pricing is really high here right now because of the dollar rate but it has nothing to do with the F5, it's because of the sanctions I imagine. At the moment it's a really expensive solution for us, not only F5 but the other appliances. If I went to another company, and the other company hired me, I would suggest they use this device. Although we don't have a lot of options to choose from around here.
Download our free F5 Advanced WAF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.