F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) is #6 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools, #9 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools, #11 ranked solution in top Access Management tools, and #17 ranked solution in top Remote Access tools. IT Central Station users give F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) an average rating of 8 out of 10. F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) is most commonly compared to CyberArk Privileged Access Manager: F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) vs CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. The top industry researching this solution is Computer Software Company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM)?

F5® BIG-IP® Access Policy Manager® (APM) is an access management proxy solution for managing global access to the enterprise networks, cloud providers, applications, and application programming interfaces (APIs). Through a single management interface, BIG-IP APM consolidates remote, mobile, network, virtual, and web access. BIG-IP APM can also serve as a bridge between modern and classic authentication and authorization protocols and methods. For applications which are unable to support modern authentication and authorization protocols, like SAML and OAuth with OIDC, but which do support classic authentication methods, BIG-IP APM converts user credentials to the appropriate authentication standard supported by the application.

Key features of BIG-IP APM are (but not limited to):

• Support for Identity Aware Proxy (IAP) enabling Zero Trust application access
• Context-based authorization with dynamic L4/L7 ACLs
• Integration with third-party MFA solutions
• DTLS 2.0 mode for delivering and securing applications
• SAML 2.0 identity federation support
• Support for OAuth 2.0 authorization protocol
• SSO support for classic authentication (Kerberos, header- based, etc.), credential caching, OAuth 2.0, SAML 2.0, and FIDO2 (U2F)
• AAA server authentication and high-availability
• Integration with leading IAM vendor products (Microsoft, Okta, Ping Identity)
• BIG IP Edge Client and F5 Access integrate with VMware Horizon ONE (AirWatch), Microsoft Intune and IBM MaaS360
• Risk-based access leveraging third-party UEBA and risk engines (HTTP Connector)

F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) is also known as F5 Access Policy Manager.

Download the Network Access Control (NAC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) Customers

City Bank, Ricacorp Properties, Miele, American Systems, Bangladesh Post Office

F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) pricing:
  • "Recently, they have simplified the licensing"

F5 BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM) Reviews

AL
Cyber Security Solution Architect at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A robust platform that enables our clients to do almost anything

• "Our customers have never complained about the stability"
  • "Cloud services are something that F5 Access Policy Manager could do better"

What is our primary use case?

Due to COVID-19, almost all of our customers are buying the virtual edition now. Our customers use this solution for connecting people from home to the office. APM is security encrypted and allows them to create an SSO (through a third-party) so they can access just about anything they could from their office computer, under normal circumstances. Everything is in one portal, including your SAS application and on-premise application.

What is most valuable?

F5 is great for handling complex issues. Most of our big customers, including banks and insurance companies like it, because it's such a robust platform that enables them to do almost anything.

Also, the new GUI seems to be very quick and simple for users, and our customers appreciate speed.

What needs improvement?

Cloud services are something that F5 Access Policy Manager could do better. In the last two to three years, there has been a slight degradation in regards to their service. Another company bought them and from that point on, their service hasn't been the same.

I think it's a very mature product. I have known them for more than 10 years and I have yet to witness any scenario or use case that they are not capable of handling.

In order to reach more customers, their marketing could be better. They are a nice company but they are not aggressive like their main competitors; they are trying, but if they're serious, they need to focus on the cloud in order to compete with larger companies.

It would be nice if they would incorporate their own SSO solution, so you don't have to use a third-party. At the same time, customers don't want to pay for a service like Cisco Duo, mostly, they just want a free token.

I have been selling APM for roughly two years.

Our customers have never complained about the stability. This solution is the key which allows our customers to work from home and it's very stable, it has to be.

This solution is also very scalable. Due to COVID-19, companies have had to move from, say, 100 concurrent users, possibly up to 500 or more, and it still works very well.

Recently, they have simplified their licensing. Two years ago it was much more complex. It's very simple for our customers to understand; however, the cloud is not simple because it's per consumption, so you don't know in advance how much you're going to pay.

What other advice do I have?

Due to a bug issue, some customers felt they needed to upgrade to protect themselves from hackers. Thankfully, our security vendors advised us on this issue. They told us the risks and spent a few days updating our software. For this reason, they are a vendor I can trust.

Honesty is important because there are a lot of allocation websites, personal information, and data at stake.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give F5 Access Policy Manager a rating of nine.

SH
Engineer at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Reliable and scalable but needs better reporting

• "The solution is stable and reliable."
  • "The solution is quite costly."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for access management.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable and reliable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty technical.

The initial setup is complex.

The solution is quite costly.

The solution could offer better reporting.

The management aspect of the solution needs improvement.

I've used the solution for one year.

The product is stable. I haven't noticed any bugs or glitches and I haven't seen it crash or freeze. It seems to be reliable and the performance is good.

The solution can scale if a company needs to expand it. It's not a problem.

I've been able to work with technical support in the past and I have had positive experiences. When we have issues, they help. We are satisfied with their services.

The initial setup is not very straightforward or easy. It's complex.

I can handle the initial setup myself. I do not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

The solution is expensive. It's not a cheap product.

You do need to pay extra for certain features and services.

What other advice do I have?

Our company didn't use F5 ourselves, however, we sell F5 products. We're resellers.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I'd recommend this solution to other users and companies.

Find out what your peers are saying about F5, Cisco, Aruba Networks and others in Network Access Control (NAC). Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
LH
Presale Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Easy to install, simple to use, and the SSL VPN is good

• "This is a product that is easy to install and integrate, and it is simple to use."
  • "The price of this product can be improved."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL VPN.

It allows you remote access to applications, such as those from Microsoft, as well as to our internal website.

What needs improvement?

The price of this product can be improved.

We have been using F5 APM for one year.

The stability is okay.

Scalability depends on the office and the number of remote users. We have about 50 users.

Using the documentation available on the website, it was easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

The F5 Access Policy Manager is something that I have experience with and I am happy with it. This is a product that I can recommend for others.

At this point, we don't have requirements beyond what this product provides, so I cannot think of any additional features that it needs.