F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Delivery Controllers. It is most often compared to Citrix ADC: F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) vs Citrix ADC

What is F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)?

F5 BIG-IP LTM optimizes the speed and reliability of your apps via both network and application layers. Using real-time protocol and traffic management decisions based on app and server and connection management conditions, and TCP and content offloading, BIG-IP LTM dramatically improves application and infrastructure responsiveness. BIG-IP LTM's architecture includes protocol awareness to control traffic for the most important applications. BIG-IP LTM tracks the dynamic performance levels of servers and delivers SSL performance and visibility for inbound and outbound traffic, to protect the user experience by encrypting everything from the client to the server.

BIG-IP LTM provides enterprise-class Application Delivery Controller (ADC). You get granular layer 7 control, SSL offloading and acceleration capabilities, and advanced scaling technologies that deliver performance and reliability on-demand. The highly optimized TCP/IP stack combines TCP/IP techniques and improvements in the latest RFCs with extensions to minimize the effect of congestion and packet loss and recovery. Independent testing tools and customer experiences show LTM's TCP stack delivers up to a 2x performance gain for users and a 4x increase in bandwidth efficiency.

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) is also known as F5 BIG-IP, BIG-IP LTM, F5 ASM, Viprion, F5 BIG-IP Virtual Edition , Crescendo Networks Application Delivery Controller, BIG IP.

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Buyer's Guide

Download the F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Customers

Riken, TransUnion, Tepco Systems Administration, Daejeon University, G&T Bank, Danamon, CyberAgent Inc.

F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) pricing:
  • "The price should be reduced because it is expensive when compared to the competition."
  • "Compared to using open-source products, the prices are not cheap."
  • "When we purchased additional licenses for our other locations, we received a discount of between 20% and 25%."
  • "There are additional costs depending on what modules or what functionality is required."

Sanja Rakic
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Very stable and easy to use with a good GUI

What is our primary use case?

Mostly I support my clients in relation to the product.

• "The solution is very easy to use and easy to understand. It's quite an intuitive system."
  • "Technical support could be faster. It's something I'd like to see them work on in the future."

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers. I'm a System Integrator. I have experience in virtual environments and with clients. I have some moderate experience with implementation and some bigger experience in supporting this product. I'm not an expert in the field, however, I'm trying to be. I don't have any issues with the solution. It's pretty problem-free in general. Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.
Jonathan Urrea
Security Professional Services at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable and easy to set up with good anti-bot protection

• "We always use technical support and the team helps us very well. They're able to effectively find and fix issues and they respond very quickly."
  • "The web interface could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller for Enterprise companies such as Banking and Retail. I'd advise that if a customer wants to implement this product, that they find a partner they can have a strong relationship with. The partner needs to be able to effectively implement the product and train your staff on the proper usage. That is, of course, if the client wants to manage it themselves in the long run. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. If they could improve their web interface, generate reports, and have all the configuration on a single page on the platform, I'd rank it a bit higher.
Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NH
CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
User-friendly, can be operated from a single console, and the performance is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we work with a lot of products from F5. In our internal network, we use F5 BIG-IP. We also have a few implementations with this product, including some that are integrated with other solutions such as IBM Guardium. One of the great use cases is capturing an application user through F5 and then pushing it to Guardium. This is very useful for our customers because they can then connect to the database with a real application user, which is something that is very hard to achieve through other vendors.

• "The main reason that we suggest this product to our clients is the great integration with other security tools, such as IBM Guardium."

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a very good product and we are actively suggesting it to our customers. It is something that should be more present in our market, especially because of the functionality that it provides. In the end, we get very good results from BIG-IP. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    KO
    Network Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable, performs well, and the iRules functionality is very good

What is our primary use case?

I am not the F5 administrator so I don't use all of the features. I primarily perform daily operations such as checking statistics and deploying new virtual servers.

• "I've worked a little bit with iRules and it is amazing."
    • "Technical support is somewhat slow and could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

To this point, whatever we have needed has been available out-of-the-box. In our environment, we have not experienced limitations. In summary, we are happy with the product and for me, it's ideal for HTTP and HTTPS. Performance-wise, stability-wise, and feature-wise, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    MS
    Director of Network Strategies and Technologies at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Flexible with good technical support and horizontal scalability

What is our primary use case?

The F5 is something we purchased for another project that has not been turned on just yet.

• "The product is quite flexible."
    • "The cost of the solution is pretty high. It would be ideal if it was more reasonable."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with F5. The F5 is something we purchased for another project that has not yet been turned up. That said, the experience I've had with F5 has been very positive, specifically working directly with their corporate sales engineering team. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it wasn't for the high cost of the product, I might rate it a bit higher. I would advise those considering the solution to explore all options. Specifically, the total cost of ownership. It can be lower with some other vendors. A10 is oftentimes a…
    MC
    Chief Information Officer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    Good performance, easy to configure and simple to set up

What is our primary use case?

The product can be used for many applications including load balancing and GLB's overload balancing. It depends on the module. If there's a public APM you can use it for WAF and many other use-cases.

• "We enjoy its overall ease of use."
    • "The pricing could always be better. It's a bit expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and a partner of F5. The product is an on-premise virtual edition solution. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been mostly quite happy with it so far. I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations. Our experience has been a positive one.
    DK
    Head Of Technology at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good support, stable, and facilitates the management of our network

What is our primary use case?

Our company is based in different geographical locations and we need to create SD-WANs with tight security while allowing remote access to our resources. To manage that and to manage the whole network, we use BIG-IP.

• "This is a solution that does what it's supposed to do at the price point."
    • "If we decide to migrate to the cloud, I don't think that BIG-IP is a good solution and we probably won't use it."

What other advice do I have?

We have not felt the need to upgrade to the most recent version or do any updates on this product because we're pretty happy with what we have. Overall, this is a good product and if one can afford it, then I would recommend it. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
    AY
    Network Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Good load balancing capability and the proxy features give you full control over your traffic

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Some of our clients use it as a load balancer. It can also be used as a web application firewall to protect your web-based applications from attacks.

• "The most valuable feature is the proxy."
    • "If they made it easier for engineers to get F5 training then it would be better."

What other advice do I have?

I consider F5 to be my network within my network because the traffic has to go through it. This includes things like the load balancer. My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to learn and understand the architecture of the device. It will do very well for you if you understand it. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    See 22 more F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Reviews
    Download our free F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.