Satish Agarwal
Lead Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Is stable, scalable, and easy to install

• "Currently, it's distributing the load perfectly, as per my understanding of our requirements."
  • "I'm not very sure about the security with F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). We have our own private data center, but we are going to migrate our private data center into the Azure cloud environment. Security will then be a major concern when we migrate our own whole infrastructure to the public cloud."

What is most valuable?

As an IT developer, mostly I use load balancing for the traffic. Currently, it's distributing the load perfectly, as per my understanding of our requirements.

It's definitely scalable and is stable as well.

The initial setup is not complex, and the technical support is fine.

What needs improvement?

So, I think they should improve in terms of security because nowadays, most organizations try to build their infrastructure on public cloud.

More documentation should be uploaded because very limited documentation is available on the internet. It will also help us to understand the system before purchasing the product.

I've been using this solution for two years.

It's a stable solution.

It's definitely scalable. It's a distributed architecture and micro services, so it's scalable. In fact, we are planning to increase usage and scale horizontally.

I don't have any issues with respect to technical support; it has been fine.

The initial setup is not complex.

What other advice do I have?

If you have your own data center, then you can use F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). I don't see any issues because they have been in the industry for a long time, and F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) is very stable.

I would rate this solution at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Oren Dror
Security IT Manager at IFAT Group
Stable with good security and reliability

• "The stability is excellent."
  • "The pricing of the product is a bit too high."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The security on offer from the solution is very good.

The stability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the product is a bit too high. They should work to make it more affordable. It needs to be more cost-efficient.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable and the performance has been good.

I've never used technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are when it comes to servicing their customers, having never used them personally.

I also have experience with Check Point.

We did not install the solution ourselves. We used an integrator that handled the process and helped us set everything up.

We used an integrator to assist with the installation. We were pleased with the results. There was nothing to complain about the results.

The pricing is pretty high. It's not the least expensive option.

That said, we're willing to pay for the premium security on offer.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We are using the 12th version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite satisfied with the capabilities of the product.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thameem Ansari
Senior solution architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Very dependable and stable in its market category

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is as an alternative for ADT. We work with standard enterprise customers because this product is not affordable for the SME, it's not a cheap solution. We are partners with F5 and I'm a pre-sales and technical executive.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the iRule.

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be improved and I'd also like to see the UI adjusted to make configuration easier. There are some things in the F5 configuration that are complicated.

I've been using this solution for 16 years in total, continuously for the last seven years.

I think this solution is very stable.

What

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the iRule.

What needs improvement?

I think this solution is very stable.

This is a scalable solution.

Compared to other solutions, the technical support is not very user friendly.

I previously worked with Fortinet which is a much more reasonably priced solution.

The initial setup is somewhat more complex than you would find in other solutions. Implementation can be completed in a couple of days but in terms of the configuration firewall of the product, for any application it will take a minimum of 15 days and up to a month.

What other advice do I have?

If a company wants a good solution and has the money for it, I would recommend F5.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

HG
System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Easy install, quality support, but expensive

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mostly used for the LTM load balancer. Recently more of our customers are using it for the web application firewall. Some of my other customers are using the GTM model also.

My experience in selling this solution is approximately two and a half years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution depends on the sizing of the network. Generally, the scalability is quite good.

The technical support is one of the best I have seen in their field. They have been good so far.

One of the strongest…

What is our primary use case?

My experience in selling this solution is approximately two and a half years.

The solution is stable.

One of the strongest areas of this solution is its ease of install. It did not take more then a couple of hours.

The deployment can take some time because you can do a lot of configuring to meet the needs of the use cases for clients. This will take more time to configure the different areas than just the general install. We typically have two technicians on site doing the deployments.

The solution is quite expensive if we compare it with the competition. For only load balancer, it is too expensive. The license is subscription-based, except for the security model.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I rate F5 BIG-IP a seven out of ten.

Mahmoud-Yassin
Head of IT Infrastructure and Security Operations at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Very stable and scalable with the application firewall a valuable feature

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution for application delivery and application security - the product is used on a daily basis. We are partners of F5 and I'm the head of IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The application firewall is a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

The policies management could be improved, that's why I'm doing a comparison of other solutions. This is also a very expensive solution.  I'd like to see external loading included as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The solution is stable overall.

This solution is scalable.

How

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The application firewall is a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see external loading included as part of the solution.

I've been using this solution for seven years.

The solution is stable overall.

This solution is scalable.

The technical support is very good.

Deployment time depends on the size of the organization. In some places it takes a week or two; in others it can take three months. There is very little maintenance required but if necessary we do it ourselves. We do upgrades ourselves and maybe rely on technical support once a year.

Everything is included in the license fee but it's a very expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10. If it were less expensive I'd rate it higher.

AI
Network & Telecom Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution with useful web application firewall and load balancing features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for web application firewall and load balancing features. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability and deployment should be better. It should be more scalable, and it should be easier to deploy.

I have been using this solution for a couple of months.

It is stable.

It is not scalable. We have about 2,000 users in our organization.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

We didn't use any…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is stable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a couple of months.

It is stable.

It is not scalable. We have about 2,000 users in our organization.

I don't have any experience with their technical support.

We didn't use any other product.

It is neither easy nor complex. It needs experience. Fortinet is easier to deploy than this.

I did it myself. We have an IT team of 60 people.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using it.

I would rate F5 BIG-IP an eight out of ten.

TB
Solutions Architect - Telecom & Network Infrastructure at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides excellent load balancing and a simple deployment

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a proxy to our websites, load balancing all our servers as clients come onto our website and use our services. Our website provides around 15 different services. We are customers of F5 and I'm a solutions architect for telecom and network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing aspect is valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

We use a limited amount of features so the biggest issue for us is the price. For what we're using, it's an expensive solution.

We've been using this solution for 12 years.

The solution is very stable and scales easily. Our networking team deals with the maintenance.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The load balancing aspect is valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for 12 years.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. We had external help for implementation and I believe deployment took about two days.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

JM
Technology Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Substantial features, great operating system, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to offer load balancing to companies and especially for state and government company.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features of the solution is the operating system. Additionally, it is easy to use and has plenty of features.

What needs improvement?

The configuration is intricate and could be improved.  For a future release, I would like to see more features in the cloud.

The price of the solution is sometimes expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate F5 BIG-IP an eight out of ten.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The configuration is intricate and could be improved.

For a future release, I would like to see more features in the cloud.

The price of the solution is sometimes expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate F5 BIG-IP an eight out of ten.

Download our free F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.