F5 BIG-IQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

F5 BIG-IQ is #9 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. IT Central Station users give F5 BIG-IQ an average rating of 8 out of 10. F5 BIG-IQ is most commonly compared to ServiceNow Orchestration:F5 BIG-IQ vs ServiceNow Orchestration. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is F5 BIG-IQ?

F5® BIG-IQ® Centralized Management provides a unified point of visibility and control for the entire F5 portfolio, ensuring administrators remain aware on the pulse of F5 devices, modules, and licenses and enabling them to deliver optimal application availability, performance, and security.

BIG-IQ manages policies,licenses, SSL certificates, BIG-IP images, and configurations for F5 appliances and for the following BIG-IP moduals across hardware and virtual editions:

• BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager™ (LTM)
  • F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall™ (WAF)
  • BIG-IP Advanced Firewall Manager™ (AFM)
  • F5 SSL Orchestrator®
  • F5 DDoS Hybrid Defender®
  • BIG-IP Access Policy Manager® (APM)
  • F5 Secure Web Gateway Services
  • BIG-IP DNS
F5 BIG-IQ Buyer's Guide

Download the F5 BIG-IQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

F5 BIG-IQ Video

F5 BIG-IQ Reviews

Almaamoon Chwak
Technical Engineer at marafaa
Easy to manage, saves time and offers good technical support

• "The GUI is fine, at least from an engineer's perspective."
  • "They could use YAML or JSON if they wanted to make it a little bit easier for us."

What is our primary use case?

BIG-IQ is just a controller for the appliances of BIG-IP. That's our main use case.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves you a lot of work and time. With this solution, any person can manage all of the appliances at once.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to manage.

It's great at saving time if you have a lot of appliances and you want to show a configuration of all of them at once. It's a great tool for managing your control of all of your BIG-IP appliances.

It's great for engineers or users that have a solid background in networking and protocols. If they know how everything works within the IT industry or deal with security it's easy for them to use.

The GUI is fine, at least from an engineer's perspective.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the solution is quite good, for how I use it.

The user interface could be a bit better.

The compatibility with the Hyper-V from Microsoft for cloud deployments could be improved.

You do need to have a good and solid background or foundation for networking and you need to understand how to configure F5 appliances in order to properly use it. It's not for a novice user.

I think they need to work with their automation within BIG-IQ or the BIG-IP. Almost everything has automation.

I only have a little bit of experience with the solution. I've been using it for about one year.

The stability is great. The solution is very reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't glitches.

The scalability is great. I love F5. If a company needs to expand it, they can do so relatively easily, especially if they are using a Viprion appliance.

There's only two to four of us on the solution that have admin rights. We may expand in the future

So far, we've been satisfied with technical support. They are quite responsive and knowledgable. We haven't had a problem with them at all.

I used to use Cisco. I really liked it. Now, I prefer F5. Both are excellent solutions. They're in the top tier for sure.

Each one of them has its own functionality. Cisco has switches, routers, et cetera, from its products. F5, is mainly known as a load balancer for applications, for data centers, et cetera. They're hard to compare as the kind-of move in different spaces, however, they're both great.

I've had some issues with the virtual deployment, or cloud deployment, for BIG-IQ. The compatibility with the Hyper-V from Microsoft is not very good.

When you are trying to implement a new VM, if you have already purchased BIG-IP from the website and you're trying to deploy it in the cloud (or you have a hypervisor), it's not so smooth to deal in terms of the interface. This is also true for Citrix servers. The only one that's worked perfectly for us was the VMware and virtual machine.

I don't really deal with pricing. That's more on the product manager. They handle product licensing. I don't have any idea how much the solution costs.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is one of the finest in the industry.

New users considering the solution need to understand that they need to have a solid background in networking and a few security verticals in order to successfully work with the solution. Without that, they won't be able to do anything with it beyond a basic integration. If you want to move to more advanced functionality, then you have to do programming. If you were going to implement it into a company that has a lot of web servers, you need to be familiar with APIs, JSON, JavaScript, et cetera.

Overall, I'd rate it eight out of ten. It's pretty great, and I love working with it, however, no solution is a perfect ten out of ten.

Almaamoon Chwak
Technical Engineer at marafaa
Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS save work for us

• "Features like AFM, the gateway, and Global DNS are the coolest features that save work for us."
  • "The shell, kernel, or Linux has something like a delay, especially with the Virtual Edition, when you are trying to implement it in the cloud and you want to access it remotely with web management. It would be great if they could improve their kernel. It was difficult for me, especially when I got started with BIG-IP. I was struggling to find which commands work with it. If you want to work with it, you have to be a Linux guy."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases we're trying to implement together all access to their DMV and to deploy and add data to their data center. They were already using Citrix, but they wanted to replace it. I don't know why, but I think they already had contact with the F5 team.

What is most valuable?

Features like AFM, the Gateway, and Global DNS are the coolest features that save work for us.

What needs improvement?

The shell, kernel, or Linux has something like a delay, especially with the Virtual Edition when you are trying to implement it in the cloud and you want to access it remotely with web management. It would be great if they could improve their kernel. It was difficult for me, especially when I got started with BIG-IP. I was struggling to find which commands work with it. If you want to work with it, you have to be a Linux guy.

The GUI tries to be professional to work with. It's not designed for an amateur or someone that is just trying to get into the ADC world, network, or application delivery services.

We have been using this solution in-house for three months. Before that, I was studying BIG-IP and BIG-IQ. When we are already designed for a specific customer, then we have to implement it.

The stability of this solution is great.

In our current situation, we're not scaling anything, but in the future, as I know from my friend in the technical background at F5, we might look into scaling up.

The number of users depends if you look at our company size or the professional services from the F5 team. From my side, there would be two members. For remote, it would be two or three.

Their technical support is perfect. They were so supportive. The guys are great and they would do anything for you.

That's the problem, it's Linux. If you want to go to the config management at first, then you have to know the Linux command in order to have an IP configuration for your interfaces. After that, you'll have to manage it on the web. The initial configuration has to be on Linux, though. It was complex for me to set up BIG-IQ because I was coming in from a Windows background, not Linux.

The deployment time would be about two hours.

What other advice do I have?

First, call F5 support before trying to implement it by yourself. That's what I tried to do and there were a bunch of problems, so I would call their support first.

I would give this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about F5 BIG-IQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AV
CEO at a government with 201-500 employees
Expensive and hard to administer, but offers good integrations

• "The best aspect of the solution is that we can have everything integrated with a rather large capacity in order to personalize and configure specific rules."
  • "The solution should improve pricing. It's expensive in comparison to other American solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for web security, so for WAF. We also use the product for balancing some servers, and also to handle the panel's SSL.

What is most valuable?

The best aspect of the solution is that we can have everything integrated with a rather large capacity in order to personalize and configure specific rules.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be easier to manage and to administer. It's a little difficult at the moment. We need some expertise to exploit all of the functionality.

We've been working with the solution for about five years now.

The solution is stable. It's very reliable and doesn't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash.

The solution is not scalable. However, all of the on-premise platforms have the same problem. We know the limits when we buy the devices. It's a normal issue for on-premise platforms.

Our organization has about 2,000 workers, however, services are circulated across the population. There might be about 70,000 people, more or less.

I've never dealt with F5's technical support as our support is handled by a partner. I wouldn't be able to speak to the quality of F5's service as I've never used it.

This is the first WAF solution we've used in this organization.

We're currently looking to change to a new platform. We're looking potentially at Fortinet or another version of F5. For us, right now, F5 is too expensive.

The solution is difficult in terms of integration. It's more based on design. There's a lot of technical architecture and it works for integrating on the new work, but not on the F5 configurations itself. Therefore, it's not exactly straightforward.

We didn't evaluate other solutions first. We studied this solution with our partner. The market was not very wide here. We chose the best partner on time. This partner commercialized this platform. At the time this solution was the market leader.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I believe we are using the latest version of the solution. The model we are using is 2000IP.

I'd warn other organizations that you'll need to have a technical administrator on your team in order to manage the solution correctly. For that reason, I'd rate the solution four out of ten.

CM
Presales Consultant - Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Good centralized management and reporting, but better VAS integration is needed

• "The reporting feature is quite good."
  • "Integration with VAS is something that they need to work on."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

BIG-IQ is a centralized management system for F5 appliances. For customers with multiple data centers or a lot of F5 appliances, it helps to manage their environment. With a centralized solution, it is easier to complete tasks like software upgrades and performing backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centralized management.

The reporting feature is quite good.

What needs improvement?

Integration with VAS is something that they need to work on.

I have been using BIG-IQ for close to one year.

My understanding is that the latest release is quite stable.

In this product, scalability is related to the number of devices. It is really good and it can scale up to 30 instances. The majority of our customers are medium-sized companies and enterprise-level organizations.

I have not had contact with technical support because I haven't had to raise any tickets.

Prior to BIG-IQ, F5 had a similar product called Enterprise Manager. It went end-of-life and was replaced with BIG-IQ. The reporting, integration, and certificate server have all been improved.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the use case. If the customer is only installing the LTM and the APM then it will not take long. If, however, there are multiple modules involved then it may take longer. This is because it takes time for the configurations to be loaded, especially for the VAS platforms and the policies.

Licensing fees are based on the number of devices.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good solution and I would recommend it but they need better integration with VAS.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Loi Phan
Network Security Team Leader at Vietinbank
Helpful load balancing and WAF features, and the technical support is good

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are load balancing and WAF.

What needs improvement?

I had trouble with high availability deployment in my environment. I had searched for solutions online but have not been able to determine the root of the problem. Ultimately, I contacted F5 support to resolve the issue. I would like to see the Advanced Web Application Firewall included with this solution.

I have been using F5 BIG-IQ for about three years.

At the moment, this solution is stable.

The F5 solution scales very easily. If we have more boxes then we can just join them to the cluster.

How are customer service and

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are load balancing and WAF.

What needs improvement?

I have been using F5 BIG-IQ for about three years.

At the moment, this solution is stable.

The support team has good knowledge and attitude when working with me to solve my issues. I prefer the support team in Vietnam because they have more personnel and I think that it is better.

It took approximately three months to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Process Automation
Download our free F5 BIG-IQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.