Fastly OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fastly is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top CDN tools. It is most often compared to Cloudflare: Fastly vs Cloudflare

What is Fastly?
Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly’s edge cloud platform to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand.

Download the CDN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Fastly Customers
Twitter, Airbnb, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, The New York Times, Ticketmaster, The Drupal Association, Opera, about.com, imgur, Etsy, Foursquare, GitHub, New Relic, shopify, Shazam, Firebase
Fastly Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fastly pricing:
  • "In my opinion, Fastly is priced competitively."

Fastly Reviews

Etienne WEHRLE
CDN & Cybersecurity Engineer - Web performance & security at CDN Tech / Ecritel
Good performance, powerful configuration capability, and helpful real-time graphics

• "Fastly uses configuration versioning, where you can deploy a new version in less than one minute."
  • "It is missing a "staging" platform to deploy a test configuration with all of the real settings, which would allow us to properly test before putting it into production."

What is our primary use case?

I manage CDN configurations for my customers.

We use this solution to ensure availability and performance for all of the websites we manage.

We are able to accelerate websites all around the world while they are hosted in a single location.

We are a partner of Fastly and we resell Fastly CDN to our customers. We plan the right configuration for their needs after we learn about their business, and we advise them of which features would be good for them to use. Following this, we do the complete CDN configuration, new release, maintenance, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We can deploy a new configuration very quickly. If our customers express a new need, we are able to give them a working solution in a few days, and sometimes just a few hours later.

We can address all kind of requests, as the VCL let us configure websites in the exact way that we need.

We easily migrated several customers with all of their websites, and they are all happy with this solution.

The statistical data and real-time graphics are very useful to check whether we have chosen the correct settings. Based on the results, we can adapt the settings as needed.

What is most valuable?

• CDN configurations are managed using VCL (Varnish Language), and you can do exactly what you want, including modifying the VCL code directly or using the GUI. This is really powerful.
  • The CDN performance is really good, and it is fast, all around the world.
  • Fastly uses configuration versioning, where you can deploy a new version in less than one minute. This includes a new origin server, caching rules, etc., and you can also rollback in less than one minute.
  • The self-service model contains everything, and there is no need to ask for operations to be performed by technical support.
  • Fastly CLI is really usefull to modify configuration in a quick way, more user friendly than the API but enought powerful to do what you want, I really like this possibility to make bulk changes

What needs improvement?

It's not easy to start with Fastly if you don't have VCL knowledge, so it appears very complex at the beginning. Even though the documentation is well done, you need to practice a lot to be able to do what you want.

It is missing a "staging" platform to deploy a test configuration with all of the real settings, which would allow us to properly test before putting it into production.

It is missing a statistical view to see multiple websites of our choice at once. Currently, you can see statistics for only one website, or for all of your websites, but not for a list you choose.

We have been using Fastly for one year.

This product is very stable and reliable. I haven't experienced any technical issues this year. Each time I had to check if the expected work had been correctly done by the solution (like caching asset, purging asset, applying new caching configuration), it was was indeed well done (checked using command lines or debug headers)

It's a cloud solution, so scalability is not a concern for us.

I have a very good impression of technical support. They are quick to answer and the solution was found quickly each time I needed it.

We did use another solution prior to this one and we changed it because some features were missing.

The initial setup is complex, and it is something that you need to gain experience with before it becomes easier.

I implemented it with the help of Fastly support and some special high-level engineers

In my opinion, Fastly is priced competitively.

We evaluated Limelight.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this solution is easy to manage, quick to deploy, and all of my customers are happy.

Private Cloud

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Fastly partner (integrator)