Firebird SQL Overview

Firebird SQL is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Open Source Databases. It is most often compared to MySQL: Firebird SQL vs MySQL

What is Firebird SQL?
Firebird is an open source SQL relational database management system that runs on Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and a variety of Unix.

Download the Open Source Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Firebird SQL Customers
Elekt Labs, Streamsoft, wobe-systems GmbH, DRB Systems, Moscow City Hospital #31

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Firebird SQL pricing:
  • "It is a public domain system as every customer can install it on their system without paying any license fee."
  • "It is okay."

SB
DBA at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Free to use but they need to add features such as functionality with redundancy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the Stonewall organization for the Department of Instruction.

• "The solution is very useful for stock management."
  • "It would be interesting if they added functionality with redundancy, reputation, and variability."

What other advice do I have?

I use this solution specifically for one database. It's a good product for little databases. We only use this solution for one project. Mostly, we're focused on MariaDB, MySQL, and PostgreSQL. I'd rate the solution five or six out of ten for the possibilities it has currently. I'd rate it at a nine or a ten if they added more features like availability.
TV
CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Perfect for small companies and is easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is as database for our EP systems.

• "I find the ease of deployment to be the most valuable aspect of this solution."
  • "I don't think the solution is very scalable, because the scalability of the performance when using more than one process is not very good."

What other advice do I have?

Firebird can be used in simple situations and in more at-home situations, but there are better solutions out there for bigger customers. That is my main advice to others. What's more, Firebird SQL is a bit cheaper than Microsoft. For what we are using it, I would rate it an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Firebird, PostgreSQL, Oracle and others in Open Source Databases. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ossama Benaziz
Operations Director at ALTERSIS Performance
Overall a good product that helps us in detecting all kinds of problems in the code

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator, and we work with customers to implement this solution to perform some audits. We use Firebird SQL with SonarQube for continuous integration. We are using Firebird SQL for our quality of code application to scan the code, create reports, and detect any best practices for code development for things like duration.

What is most valuable?

It helps us in detecting all kinds of problems in the code, such as bad quality, unclear code, or any violation in the code or best practices.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have more automation and integration with the tools from other vendors.

I started to use Firebird SQL two or three years ago in my previous organization, which…
Rafael Liriano
Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Lightweight and powerful

• "I can deploy it on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows — it's very easy."
  • "In the next release, it should support JSON, XML, and replication with third-party tools."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.
Product Categories
Open Source Databases
Download our free Open Source Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Firebird, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and more!