Firebird SQL OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Firebird SQL is #4 ranked solution in top Open Source Databases. IT Central Station users give Firebird SQL an average rating of 8 out of 10. Firebird SQL is most commonly compared to MySQL: Firebird SQL vs MySQL. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 54% of all views.
What is Firebird SQL?
Firebird is an open source SQL relational database management system that runs on Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and a variety of Unix.

Download the Open Source Databases Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Firebird SQL Customers
Elekt Labs, Streamsoft, wobe-systems GmbH, DRB Systems, Moscow City Hospital #31

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Firebird SQL pricing:
  • "It is okay."
  • "There is a yearly maintenance fee for the use of the solution."

Firebird SQL Reviews

SB
DBA at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Free to use but they need to add features such as functionality with redundancy

• "The solution is very useful for stock management."
  • "It would be interesting if they added functionality with redundancy, reputation, and variability."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the Stonewall organization for the Department of Instruction.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very useful for stock management.

The solution has worked perfectly; I've never run into issues or had to reach out to technical support for troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

I've never had any issues with the solution, so I can't think of any improvements it would need.

I installed the solution three to five years ago.

The solution is a good, stable product. The database is quite simple and I've had no problems with it.

I'm not sure if I can speak to the scalability of the solution, as I haven't tried to scale it. We don't plan to increase usage as we only use it for one project.

I've never had issues with the solution, so I haven't been in touch with technical support.

The solution isn't too difficult to install. We have two environments for tests and production. The solution has a medium level of difficulty because there's only one utilization with Firebird, so it's not too difficult for us.

Deployment takes one day at the most.

I handled the implementation myself.

The solution is freeware, so it doesn't cost anything to use it.

I didn't evaluate other options. I found a recommendation for this solution online and decided to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

I use this solution specifically for one database.

It's a good product for little databases.

We only use this solution for one project. Mostly, we're focused on MariaDB, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

I'd rate the solution five or six out of ten for the possibilities it has currently. I'd rate it at a nine or a ten if they added more features like availability.

Ossama Benaziz
Operations Director at ALTERSIS Performance
Overall a good product that helps us in detecting all kinds of problems in the code

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator, and we work with customers to implement this solution to perform some audits. We use Firebird SQL with SonarQube for continuous integration. We are using Firebird SQL for our quality of code application to scan the code, create reports, and detect any best practices for code development for things like duration.

What is most valuable?

It helps us in detecting all kinds of problems in the code, such as bad quality, unclear code, or any violation in the code or best practices.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have more automation and integration with the tools from other vendors.

What needs improvement?

I started to use Firebird SQL two or three years ago in my previous organization, which specialized in software development. We are also implementing this solution in my current organization, which is into performance applications.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Currently, around 10% or 15% of users are using Firebird SQL.

They need to be more reactive and fast. Sometimes, they take too long to resolve some tickets.

The initial setup is straightforward and quick. There are no problems with its installation.
It took us two to three weeks to install it for a customer.

Our team deployed it. We have two to three teams for integration and installation. These teams include system administrators and software developers.

It is okay.

What other advice do I have?

We are satisfied with Firebird SQL, and we will keep on using it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It is overall a good product.

Find out what your peers are saying about Firebird, PostgreSQL, Oracle and others in Open Source Databases. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ruben Conti
Owner at Intersoftware sas
Integrates with most operating systems, easy to use, and informative online documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use Firebird SQL as a database in our organization.

What is most valuable?

Firebird SQL is an open-source solution and can run on most operating systems, such as Linux, Unix, and Windows.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing partitioning and encryption. It is not at the higher level of database solution but it could be with some upgrades.

I have used Firebird SQL for approximately 20 years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 100 users using the solution.

I have not needed to use technical support. However, there…

What is our primary use case?

We use Firebird SQL as a database in our organization.

What needs improvement?

I have used Firebird SQL for approximately 20 years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 100 users using the solution.

I have not needed to use technical support. However, there is online documentation available for all of your needs.

Firebird SQL is easy to install.

I did the implementation of the solution myself. Any technician can do the implementation it is not difficult.

There is a yearly maintenance fee for the use of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Firebird SQL an eight out of ten.

Rafael Liriano
Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Lightweight and powerful

• "I can deploy it on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows — it's very easy."
  • "In the next release, it should support JSON, XML, and replication with third-party tools."

What is most valuable?

I like Firebird because it's very lightweight. It's very light and powerful. I can do everything that I can with MS SQL Server, and Oracle — I can do the same things with Firebird. It has some very interesting features. For example, I can update and insert with one statement. The deployment is very easy. I can deploy it on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows — it's very easy.

Also, the integration capabilities are great.

What needs improvement?

There aren't a lot of people using this solution — it's not very popular in the marketplace. It's been around for 21 years, but not many people have heard of it.

In the next release, it should support JSON, XML, and replication with third-party tools.

Firebird SQL is very stable.

Firebird is an open-source database. There is a dedicated onsite forum to converse with other users. I have never used technical support from the developer. I find all of the answers that I need in the forum — in the community.

Deployment is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Product Categories
Open Source Databases
Download our free Open Source Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about Firebird, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and more!