FireEye Network Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

FireEye Network Security is #6 ranked solution in top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. IT Central Station users give FireEye Network Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. FireEye Network Security is most commonly compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire:FireEye Network Security vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is FireEye Network Security?

FireEye Network Security is an advanced threat protection and breach detection platform that provides industry leading threat visibility and protection against the world’s most sophisticated and damaging attacks. By leveraging FireEye’s unique technologies and threat intelligence, FireEye Network Security detects what other security solutions miss, providing holistic security from the perimeter to the network core.

FireEye Network Security was previously known as FireEye.

Download the Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

FireEye Network Security Customers

FFRDC, Finansbank, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Investis, Kelsey-Seybold Clinic, Bank of Thailand, City of Miramar, Citizens National Bank, D-Wave Systems

FireEye Network Security Video

Archived FireEye Network Security Reviews (more than two years old)

SH
IT Senior Consultant at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enhanced our security by protecting us against zero-day malware

• "If we are receiving spam emails, or other types of malicious email coming from a particular email ID, then we are able to block them using this solution."
  • "It would be a good idea if we could get an option to block based upon the content of an email, or the content of a file attachment."

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the ability to block someone.

What needs improvement?

It would be a good idea if we could get an option to block based upon the content of an email, or the content of a file attachment. I would also like to be able to block an email based on the content of the subject line. Similarly, if I could block based on a specific hash value then it would be very good.

Between five and six years.

After the initial testing during deployment, I was very confident that FireEye would work without any issues.

Technical support is good. They respond well, and if we send them software that we think is suspicious then they analyze it in a sandbox and get back to us.

The initial setup and deployment for this solution are straightforward.

We took a week for the deployment to make sure that everything was working. Rather than using inline mode, we initially put FireEye into monitoring mode. That was not the full functionality, but we used it to monitor the alerts. Based on the response that we received from the customer, we were able to put it into inline mode and it started working.

When I compare this solution to its competitors in the market, I find that it is a little expensive. Even the hardware costs are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

This solution generally performs well. I have seen some emails it allowed, which should have been categorized as malicious, but apart from those, I haven't seen any other problems.

I would definitely recommend this product because I have seen many cases where other solutions were not able to catch malware, but FireEye raised a red flag. I have seen it work effectively in a production environment, and even catch zero-day malware when there is no signature present.

I would rate this solution seven and a half out of ten.

SaladinEffendi
Head of IT Division at PT Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk.
Saves time, money, and trouble through its ease of use but there needs to be better support

• "The product has helped improve our organization by being easy to use and integrate. This saves time, trouble and money."
  • "As far as future inclusions, it would be useful to display more threat intelligence, such as the actual area of the threat and the origin of the web crawling (Tor and Dark Web)."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of the solution is monitoring network security and intrusion detection.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped improve our organization by being easy to use and integrate. This saves time, trouble and money.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ability to detect intrusions and the user-friendly dashboard. The integration with our CM worked well. It gives visibility into what's going on at the user level.

What needs improvement?

There are three things that can be improved:

• Protection testing. When it comes to the protections, it requires a lot of testing to implement.
  • Local support. They need to beef up the capabilities of local support.
  • Pricing. The price is a bit high though it is an adequate product.

As far as future inclusions, it would be useful to display more threat intelligence, such as the actual area of the threat and the origin of the web crawling (Tor and Dark Web).

We have been using FireEye Network Security for more than six months.

FireEye is a very reliable, stable solution. In terms of integrity and interconnectivity, we have no issues with that.

It's a very scalable solution. When we deploy it to the end client we use LANDesk to help us. We have no problems with the deployments. So in terms of the scalability, integrity, and interconnectivity, it works well.

Customer service and technical support could use some enhancement. On a scale from 1 to 10, it is between six and seven. It is serviceable but there is much room for improvement.

FireEye is comparable to other products, such as HX, but seems expensive. It may cause us to look at other products in the market.

What other advice do I have?

Having a product deployed that fills our needs keeps us from having to consider major changes in looking to other products on the market to resolve other issues.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about FireEye, Palo Alto Networks, Broadcom and others in Advanced Threat Protection (ATP). Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HK
Information Security Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enhances security and visibility on all levels

• "Initially, we didn't have much visibility around what is occurring at our applications lower level. For instance, if we are exposed to any malicious attacks or SQL injections. But now we've integrated FireEye with Splunk, so now we get lots of triggers based on policy content associated with FireEye. The solution has allowed for growth and improvement in our information security and security operations teams."
  • "Improvements could be achieved through greater integration capabilities with different firewall solutions. Integrating with the dashboard itself for different firewalls so users can also pull tags into their firewall dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for endpoint protection. We need the solution to integrate with the firewall so that we could get some threat intel based on the kinds of malicious factors that we are getting on the internet at work. We are working to optimize it with the firewall and the other tools we are using for network protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, we didn't have much visibility around what is occurring at our applications lower level, for instance, if we are exposed to any malicious attacks or SQL injections. Now, we've integrated FireEye with Splunk, so we get lots of triggers based on policy content associated with FireEye. The solution has allowed for growth and improvement in our information security and security operations teams.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is FireEye NX.

What needs improvement?

From both a network level and security level it's pretty stable and it satisfies our organizational requirements.

The scalability of the solution is above average.

We implemented through a vendor team. I believe it took a five or possibly six-person networking team for the actual implementation. Followed by an information security team for policy configuration.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, with one being the worst and 10 being the best, I would you rate this product an 8. From a security perspective, it's pretty decent. It's just that I have seen it miss some semi loads or triggers when it's integrated with other products. On the flexibility scale, I think that's where the improvement needs to be achieved.

MS
CPM at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Relatively easy to monitor, but a better dashboard would improve monitoring further

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our firewall protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the view into the application.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a smoother dashboard so I could monitor it better. A better depth of view, being able to see deeper into the management process, is what I'd like to see.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at seven out of ten. It works and it's relatively easy to monitor.

What is our primary use case?

This solution is our firewall protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the view into the application.

Antonio El Khoury
System Engineer at IRIS
Reseller
Prevents attacks and breaches but they should emphasize application filtering

• "Application categorization is the most valuable feature for us. Application filtering is very interesting because other products don't give you full application filtering capabilities."
  • "Based on what we deployed, they should emphasize the application filtering and the web center. We need to look deeper into the SSM inspection. If we get the full solution with that module, we don't need to get the SSM database from another supplier."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for application filtering and security.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a second level of defense for many clients in the telecom field. We use Symantec Blue Coat as a proxy for the web center. We even have a little bit of SSM because we are floating some Symantec traffic on the end for SSM integration. We also use it for oil and gas as a standalone or in remote sites to have a bit of security there.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Based on what we deployed, they should emphasize the application filtering and the web center. We need to look deeper into the SSM inspection. If we get the full solution with that module, we don't need to get the SSM database from another supplier.

They should develop something similar to the feature that Palo Alto has called Traps. Then it will be an all-encompassing security solution.

More than five years.

Stability is fine as long as we don't go deeper into the system. Once we go deeper into the SSM, inspection, and decryption, we get some issues.

It requires one expert and three technicians for maintenance.

Scalability is smooth. I don't have any issues with the scale. We have the right boxes and the right configuration. For the telecom industry we have around 400 users and in the oil and gas industry, we have 600 users.

We are also resellers for Palo Alto.

If you look at the documentation, the initial setup is easy. We had the right training documents to go over and it was simple, it wasn't complicated at all. It took three days for configuration but in total around ten days.

It requires one expert and three technicians for maintenance.

We are resellers so we implement it ourselves. We got the documentation from Cisco and were able to deploy.

I was with one of my clients last week and he told me that he's satisfied with the solution because they prevent a lot of attacks and a lot of breaches.

We're partners with Cisco so we get a reasonable price. It's cheaper than Palo Alto in terms of licensing. We can get cheaper features from Palo Alto though.

What other advice do I have?

The main advice for such product is if you don't have any visibility regarding your application you need to deploy the FireEye solution. Otherwise, you don't have any visibility for the SSM, for the web traffic, and the application solution. If you need security with reasonable pricing, this is a good solution.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

JR
Security Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Its core functionality is really good, but it could use a little work in the reporting

• "It allows us to be more hands off in checking on emails and networking traffic. We can set up a bunch of different alerts and have it alert us."
  • "I would love to see better reporting. Because you can't export some of the reports in proper formats, it is hard to extract the data from reports."

What is our primary use case?

We use FireEye NX to monitor our networking traffic and FireEye EX to monitor our email traffic. So, it's mostly for blocking malicious traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to be more hands off in checking on emails and networking traffic. We can set up a bunch of different alerts and have it alert us. It gives us a better view of our network and our email environment.

What is most valuable?

The core functionality: It blocks what we need it to block.

What needs improvement?

It could use more user-friendly navigation around the tool.

The stability is very good. I have never had issues with uptime.

As far as I know, scalability is good. However, we haven't had the need to scale it up at all.

We receive our technical support through a third-party. Directly with FireEye, I'm not sure about technical support.

It probably reduces our response time by a day or two. It also increase staff productivity.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good bare bones solution for what they are looking for. However, if they wanted a more a robust solution, then they would probably have to look somewhere else or get additional FireEye products.

It was probably one of the earlier things that we did within the maturity of our security environment. So, it was sort of a starting point. We are still working to get some other things implemented.

JG
CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
It has significantly decreased our mean time in being able to identify and detect malicious threats

• "The scalability has not been a problem. We have deployed the product in very high bandwidth networks. We have never had a problem with the FireEye product causing latency issues within our networks."
  • "The initial setup was complex because of the nature of our environment. When it comes to the type of applications and functions which we were looking at in terms of identifying malicious threats, there would be some level of complexity, if we were doing it right."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the file security scanner. The solution is used to monitor network traffic for network-based malware.

How has it helped my organization?

It is very difficult for any organization to identify malicious software and code. With the FireEye product through its deep analysis, it is possible for malicious software to be identified across the network regardless of what the internal systems are. It gives you the ability to monitor the ingress and egress, then identify threats which are otherwise difficult to identify.

The increase in productivity has been about the same. One of the things that the FireEye product does is providing deep analysis. This gives you the detailed analytics about what it has detected. Whereas in a traditional environment with traditional tools, there is a tremendous amount of recovery and research involved to identify the details of the source and the indicators of the compromise. The FireEye product provides 80 to 90 percent of that information from a single pane of glass.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the FireEye solution is the deep analysis for malicious software.

What needs improvement?

Many organizations industry-wide are moving more workloads to cloud providers, whether it is AWS, Azure, or Google. We don't yet see the same type of malware analysis in the cloud in terms of being able to identify malicious code or taking place. We would like to see FireEye begin to provide the same type of service in a parameterless environment, very similar to what they are currently doing in their traditional parameter-based network.

FireEye has been one of the market leaders in the stability space from what we have seen over the several years that we've been working with the vendor and the product. They continue to be leaders in this space.

The technical support personnel for the FireEye platform has been very responsive, which is a critical factor when you're dealing with malicious software. They have also been very responsive when it comes to configuration and troubleshooting issues specific to the product.

It wasn't a case where we switched from another solution because we had been a long time customer. It wasn't a case of switching, as the company that I work for is a very mature organization with a staff of over 100 in information security with most of them as dedicated encryption service analysts.

Malicious actors have begun to identify when their code is being run in a simulator and are placing weights in their code so some of their malicious triggers don't take place immediately. This makes it more difficult to detect. An improvement that we would like to see is that the vendor continue to escalate their techniques and methods to match those that we are seeing as emerging threats.

The initial setup was complex because of the nature of our environment. When it comes to the type of applications and functions which we were looking at in terms of identifying malicious threats, there would be some level of complexity, if we were doing it right.

We have seen ROI.

Because of what the FireEye product does, it has significantly decreased our meantime in being able to identify and detect malicious threats. The company that I work with is a very mature organization, and we have seen the mean time to analysis decrease by at least tenfold.

There are some additional services that I understand the vendor provides, but our approach was to package all of the features that we were looking to use into the product.

FireEye was actually the only product that was doing what they were doing.

We did have other vendors on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

It brings a tremendous amount of value to your network environment. In terms of what we asked them to do, which is to help us to identify malicious code and threats, their product has delivered.

It is one thing to have an advanced security tool, like FireEye, but equally important to have a staff and security program which puts themselves in positions to leverage the tool properly.

In terms of maturity of the organization that I work with, it has a very mature security posture, which is necessary in our space because we are part of the financial critical infrastructure. So, we've been doing security for a very long time.

SA
Teaml0997 at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Enables us to take appropriate action to prevent any damage from happening

• "Before FireEye, most of the times that an incident would happen nobody would be able to find out where or why the incident occurred and that the system is compromised. FireEye is a better product because if the incident already happened I know that the breach is there and that the system is compromised so we can take appropriate action to prevent anything from happening."
  • "It doesn't connect with the cloud, advanced machine learning is not there. A known threat can be coming into the network and we would want the cloud to look up the problem. I would also like to see them develop more file replication and machine learning."

What is our primary use case?

We use FireEye to prevent cyber attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

Before FireEye, most of the times that an incident would happen nobody would be able to find out where or why the incident occurred and that the system is compromised. FireEye is a better product because if the incident already happened I know that the breach is there and that the system is compromised so we can take appropriate action to prevent anything from happening.

FireEye is quite stable.

We are currently also using Symantec.

The initial setup was straightforward, not complex. The deployment didn't take too much time. It took around fifteen to twenty days. It took one person to deploy it and we have three administrators using this solution.

We used a third-party to help us with the deployment. We had a good experience with them.

I have seen return of investment in the way that it prevents breaches and attacks.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. I would recommend implementing FireEye, it's a great tool.

HL
System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Protects the users' browser by finding zero-day threats and malware

• "Its ability to find zero-day threats, malware and anything malicious has greatly improved my customer's organization, especially for protecting the users' browser."
  • "The problem with FireEye is that they don't allow VM or sandbox customization. The user doesn't have control of the VMs that are inside the box. It comes from the vendor as-is. Some users like to have control of it. Like what type of Windows and what type of applications and they have zero control over this."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution for our customers. The primary use case is for Advanced Persistent Threat detection at a network level.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The problem with FireEye is that they don't allow VM or sandbox customization. The user doesn't have control of the VMs that are inside the box. It comes from the vendor as-is. Some users like to have control of it, like what type of Windows and what type of applications they use, and they have zero control over this. I would like to see more customization of the VMs.

Still implementing.

Their stability is good.

In terms of scalability, we haven't deployed them on a larger scale. We have only deployed on two appliances. It requires two or three people to administer the device. Usually, those are cybersecurity engineers or network admins.

Their technical support is very good and responsive.

FireEye is easy to use and the setup is easy. The deployment could be finished in two hours. Three to four staff are required for the deployment.

The pricing is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a 7.5 out of ten.

KR
Deputy Assistant Secretary with 201-500 employees
We don't have to react because it stops anything from hurting the network

• "We see ROI in the sense that we don't have to react because it stops anything from hurting the network. We can stop it before we have a bigger mess to clean up."
  • "Cybersecurity posture has room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case if for zero-day identifying anomalies and zero-day vulnerabilities without requiring signature recognition.

How has it helped my organization?

McAfee didn't even know that there was a vulnerability out there, and this solution found it before McAfee, and then we notified them, and they came up with a patch to remediate that exploit.

What is most valuable?

The zero-day vulnerabilities feature is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Cybersecurity posture has room for improvement.

Three to five years.

It's stable, we haven't had a lot of issues. We get updates when we need them and the vendor is responsive when we have issues.

We have scalability across our whole network. We haven't had any scalability issues at all. It's used daily, as far as for the continuous monitoring required for cybersecurity.

We have the administrators, which is approximately five people that monitor it. Then it's also for our enterprise network, which is over 200k users. They're all sysadmins and cybersecurity engineer type people.

The support from the company has been wonderful. Any time we've had any issues they responded.

I did not set it up, but the setup seemed to be straightforward.

Pricing and licensing are reasonable compared to competitors.

What other advice do I have?

There may be other tools that do this, but FireEye is part of the defense in depth. What other products miss, FireEye tends to pick up.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

AK
PreSales Director at a tech services company
Reseller
The feature that I find most valuable is the MIR (Mandiant Incident Response) for checks on our inbound security. The one thing that needs to improve is that they use guidance or FDK for max data.

• "The features that I find most valuable are the MIR (Mandiant Incident Response) for checks on our inbound security."
  • "The world is currently shifting to AI, but FIreEye is not following suit."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is world gateway or an email gateway for forensic tools.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The one thing that needs to improve is that they use guidance or FDK for max data. They don't have their own tools, that is a weakness in the Mandiant.

Three to five years.

I find this product stable.

I find this product scalable for our needs.

We have our own qualified tech support team, and we do not find a need for the tech support from FireEye IT.

We looked into other forensic options in the past. We used to use RSA in the past, but it is not the same as FireEye.

What other advice do I have?

The world is currently shifting to AI, Artificial Intelligence engines. FireEye, now has nothing in the road map to shifting to AI. Other companies do have a roadmap for AI integration. Now the hacker is more intelligent. The hacker is going to hack the laptop for example, and an AI engine could be an excellent prevention mechanism.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller.
RA
Security Engineer at Tenece Professional Services
Reseller
Alert Dashboard is easy to navigate, but detection, reporting, policy management need improvement

• "There is a lot of room for Improvement in the offering, from cost to functionality. It is pretty straightforward to implement which is an advantage. However, it falls short in pricing, detection capabilities, and, most importantly, reporting and policy management."
    • "It would be great if we could create granular reports based on the protocols, types of attacks, regions of attack, etc. Also we would like to easily be able to add exceptions to rules in cases of false positives."
    • "Stability issues manifested in terms of throughput maximization."

What is most valuable?

Simplified Alert Dashboard is straightforward to navigate.

What needs improvement?

1. Granular reporting

Need more attributes for each alert; e.g. protocol, time, type of attack, etc. These attributes could be used for report generation or to aid as search criteria.

2. Rule base

Create an option to create/add/edit rules in the existing policy. Most importantly, create room to add exceptions to false positive alerts.

3. Use one appliance for both Web detection and email detection to reduce the cost of shipping and delivery.

4. Detection of .zip and .rar files.

Stability issues manifested in terms of throughput maximization.

There were scalability issues for the appliance-based solution, but not for the cloud-based solution.

I rate it eight out of 10.

I was not using anything previously.

Straightforward.

Use cloud solution; pricing is a bit high.

Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution at six out of 10. There is a lot of room for Improvement in the offering, from cost to functionality. It is pretty straightforward to implement which is an advantage. However, it falls short in pricing, detection capabilities, and, most importantly, reporting and policy management. It would be great if we could create granular reports based on the protocols, types of attacks, regions of attack, etc. Also we would like to easily be able to add exceptions to rules in cases of false positives.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Value-added reseller.
    Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Improves defense against zero-day threats and network security, but management of the appliance could be greatly improved

• "Improved our systems and our customers' by providing better malware protection, defense against zero-day threats, and improved network security."
    • "The MVX Engine seems to be very capable against threats and the way it handles APTs is impressive."
    • "Management of the appliance could be greatly improved."

What is our primary use case?

Implementing at customer sites. Conducting pre-sales and PoC demos for customers and providing technical support to customers on behalf of FireEye.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The MVX Engine seems to be very capable against threats and the way it handles APTs is impressive. It has helped FireEye be the first ones to announce zero-days on many occasions.

What needs improvement?

Management of the appliance could be greatly improved.

They should take a leaf out of the book of Symantec's (Formerly Blue Coat) MAA appliances. The management is super-easy, most features are available through the GUI, and the administrator has an easy to navigate interface that helps in faster threat analysis.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner of FireEye selling their products to customers.
    it_user494931
    Master Consultant (Network Security) at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It added a layer of inspection that might be missed by traditional IPS or antivirus products. Features such as IPS are lacking.

What is most valuable?

FireEye's virtual execution engine is designed to catch 0-day or targeted malware files.

How has it helped my organization?

I work for a managed services provider, so we don't deploy the product internally but deploy it in customers’ environments. For our customers, it added a layer of inspection that might be missed by traditional IPS or antivirus products, and that is the capability of catching new malware that might not have been identified or seen in the wild before.

What needs improvement?

FireEye’s main feature is its sandboxing or threat emulation capabilities to detect malware with extra add-ons such as signature-based IPS or endpoint protection, but these features are lacking compared to most IPS or endpoint vendors. FireEye would need to work on these capabilities to have a fuller product offering (especially when all the other major NGFW vendors such as Check Point or Palo Alto offer similar threat emulation capabilities to FireEye).

I have been using it for 3-4 years.

Deployment is extremely easy, and we haven't run into any issues.

We also use the same capabilities that come in other products such as Palo Alto (wildfire) or CheckPoint (threat prevention). I don't think there is much difference in the capabilities between either of the products.

Initial setup was very straightforward.

We implement and provide continued managed services coverage for the product.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I think if you have another product that can provide the same functionality (such as Palo Alto or CheckPoint), and that device is capable of handling the extra load of running these features, then I would consider using those products instead of adding a new product to the network.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a vendor partner.
    NetworkEngineer informaton security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It helps to detect and prevent zero day attacks.

What is most valuable?

• Call back
    • Zero day attack

How has it helped my organization?

We have discovered different malware which was basically a zero day attack and call back.

What needs improvement?

Cluster option is not available in NX, and for false positives we need some customization configuration available, such as a whitelist.

I've used it for one year.

It's very good.

It's very good.

Different IPS and end point products were used. FireEye has a different concept for the handling of ATP and malware with a virtual machine which resides in their box.

It was simple and straightforward.

We have implemented it ourselves on customer premises.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product to implement, especially where the existing technology fails to detect zero day attacks.

it_user221841
    IT Security Manager with 51-200 employees
    Provides a target response time of one minute for both hardware and software issues— and immediate escalation to level-two advanced support for high-severity issues.
    After the release of our first product we had a lot more exposure with the public and we knew we would attract some unwanted attention. We started looking at solutions for network hardening and intrusion protection. We engaged The Herjavec Group to perform a network penetration test. THG offers a comprehensive suite of security and network services to organizations around the world, supported by Canada’s largest group of certified security professionals. Although the initial findings from the test showed the existing network to be robust, through practical experience with other similar clients, THG recommended implementing a FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform. We felt comfortable after seeing the early results of the penetration test but decided to do an in-house demo of the…

We engaged The Herjavec Group to perform a network penetration test. THG offers a comprehensive suite of security and network services to organizations around the world, supported by Canada’s largest group of certified security professionals. Although the initial findings from the test showed the existing network to be robust, through practical experience with other similar clients, THG recommended implementing a FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform. We felt comfortable after seeing the early results of the penetration test but decided to do an in-house demo of the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform to see how it would add to the protection of our internal systems and R&D network. As part of the overall evaluation of similar technologies, along with THG’s recommendation to evaluate FireEye, we also looked at several other competitive offerings. Once we had a chance to do our own due diligence, it was clear that there is really nothing else that compares with the FireEye appliance. After the proof of concept, I really didn’t have to do much to justify the investment. We immediately purchased the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform.

With any new solution the deployment effort and ongoing management overhead is always a consideration. We’ve been really pleased with how straightforward the FireEye solution is to manage. Installation was very simple, and the solution requires little-to-no ongoing maintenance. Because threat protection is a mission-critical function, we opted for the FireEye Platinum Support program. This level of support provides a target response time of one minute for both hardware and software issues— and immediate escalation to level-two advanced support engineering for any high-severity issues encountered. Our board of directors are very conscious about the value of the intellectual property that we are constantly creating and very sensitive to security concerns—especially cyber-based threats. You can’t put a price on an attack, especially when it’s your company’s underlying IP at risk. FireEye gives us leading edge protection.

Disclosure: IT Central Station has made contact with the reviewer to validate that the person is a real user. The information in the posting is based upon a vendor-supplied case study, but the reviewer has confirmed the content's accuracy.
    it_user229392
    Senior Network Security Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Provides us with better malware, intrusion and incident detection.

What is most valuable?

Ability to edit the Yara rules Malware analysis tool

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided us with better malware, intrusion and incident detection.

What needs improvement?

A lot of false positives.

I've been using FireEye NX with web, email, and the malware analysis sandbox tool for two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

No previous solution was used.

It wasn't bad, the…

What is most valuable?

• Ability to edit the Yara rules
    • Malware analysis tool

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided us with better malware, intrusion and incident detection.

What needs improvement?

A lot of false positives.

8/10.

8/10.

No previous solution was used.

It wasn't bad, the technical support team walked us through it.

We used a vendor who was 8/10.

What other advice do I have?

Get training with editing Yara rules.

it_user229368
    Sr. Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I like how it detects zero day attacks, APT’s, and other types of malware.

What is most valuable?

I like the ability to detect zero day attacks, APT’s, and other types of malware which almost every other security device in the world is unable to detect.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the projects where we were deploying was a POC. When it was tested, it detected one of the world’s most dangerous APTs, like KABA, that was specially designed to target the telecommunication industry. This was one of the many thousands of findings that we were proud of.

What needs improvement?

Almost every feature of the product is on a high level.

I have worked on these products from FireEye for three different projects, and I found them wonderful.

9/10.

10/10.

Our clients have used almost all of the best solutions available but most of them were unable to detect about 90% of the threats that FireEye NX can detect.

The initial setup was quite straightforward and easy.

We had implemented it in-house and in fact, I deployed the NX 2400 and NX 7400 devices myself.

Both for our clients and for ourselves, ROI was almost 200% more than we expected. We were satisfied.

The initial setup and day-to-day cost is almost the same as other security devices available. However, others fail about 90% of the time to detect threats, APT’s & most importantly zero day attacks, while FireEye can detect them.

Of course, we had to check all other products available in the market, research their features, and then we had to compare these products based on benefits to our clients, and the expected ROI.

What other advice do I have?

It's one of the best products around based on its features like detection of almost all types of malware, APT’s, virus and zero day attacks, reporting, and its integration with other FireEye products like CMS, IPS etc.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company I previously worked for iwas the only partner of FireEye for almost one and half years in our country
    it_user221847
    Senior Vice President & CIO with 51-200 employees
    We needed a solution which would allow us to proactively address threats.
    We previously relied on a firewall for application-level blocking, an email gateway, and an anti-virus solution to protect our infrastructure. The existing combination was capable of identifying certain malware activity but we found we were always reactively responding to attacks. We were never in a position to proactively address the threats. Following a recommendation by an independent security consultant, we performed a detailed evaluation of the FireEye platform. The inherent intelligence of FireEye’s solution was immediately evident and we felt that our purchase of the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform represented the final piece in the puzzle to lock down our infrastructure. The FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform is deployed inline between the firewall and Internet…

Following a recommendation by an independent security consultant, we performed a detailed evaluation of the FireEye platform. The inherent intelligence of FireEye’s solution was immediately evident and we felt that our purchase of the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform represented the final piece in the puzzle to lock down our infrastructure. The FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform is deployed inline between the firewall and Internet gateway; preventing malicious multi-protocol callbacks and blocking inbound Web exploits that elude our other security measures. As an integral component of the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform, the FireEye Multi-Vector Virtual Execution engine confirms zero-day attacks and captures callback destinations to dynamically prevent users from accessing a malicious channel. The signature-less FireEye MVX engine executes suspicious binaries and Web objects against a broad range of browsers, plug-ins, applications, and operating environments to determine the true intent of the malicious code.

The FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform not only protects our users when they visit websites but also when they receive email with malicious attachments or links: having both levels of protection is absolutely critical to us. The whole banking industry is subjected to a huge variety of very sophisticated attacks that exploit both Web and email weaknesses. We see many spear phishing attacks in which malicious emails disguise themselves as coming from legitimate business partners. If users click on a bad link or attachment that initiates a callback, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform blocks it every time.

Several of our employees recently received an email that appeared to come from a trusted business partner. Five users tried to open an apparently innocuous attachment but the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform detected that it included embedded malware and immediately started blocking the approximately 200 callbacks each machine tried to generate. If any of these reached their intended target they could have severely compromised the bank’s systems but the FireEye solution just doesn’t allow this type of data to leave our network. FireEye has placed us in the position to proactively counter malicious threats; we now don’t have to take a user offline in order to rebuild their PC following an attack. We’re better protected and more productive! Cybercriminals grow smarter all the time, that’s why our use of the FireEye next-generation security platform is now mandatory throughout the bank’s infrastructure.

it_user221844
    City Information Security Officer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    I was desperately looking to automate whatever layers of security we had in place. Our existing infrastructure left my team blind to a constant stream of attacks.
    The old approach to security—assigning lots of people to the problem—was no longer feasible. It was very time intensive and employee intensive. It took up so much of our time that it became very unproductive. I was desperately looking to automate whatever layers of security we had in place. The issue came to a head when I spotted suspicious network activity but could not get to the bottom of the problem with legacy signature-based security tools. My staff spent hours manually blocking suspicious connections. We were a sitting duck. Our existing infrastructure left my team blind to a constant stream of attacks. We tested several IPS/IDS type of solutions, including Symantec, Palo Alto Networks, and Cisco—and found them all inadequate for the security challenge we faced.  I decided to try…

I decided to try the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform. We piloted a proof-of-concept trial. Installation took less than an hour, and almost immediately, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform began providing valuable insight into what was going on in the network —no heavy administration required. We had planned to test the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform for 15 days; I knew within the first 24 hours that the solution delivered on its promise. I realized that I can’t get any better bang for the buck.

Used in-line, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform provides the insight we need to stay ahead of advanced threats. The platform monitors Web traffic, by far the most common threat vector used in malware attacks. We are alerted to zero-day exploits and fast-morphing malware to keep sensitive data and systems safe. At the same time, the Network Threat Prevention Platform is capable of shutting down communications with malicious URLs used in targeted attacks. Thanks to the FireEye Multi-Vector Virtual Execution architecture, our security team can spot malware hidden in malicious images, PDFs, Flash, and ZIP/RAR/TNEF archives. Easy-to-digest email alerts validate true threats and help guide our incident response. And a browser-based dashboard cuts through the clutter with clear, actionable information about malware activity.

By every measure, the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform has exceeded our expectations. The platform requires little ongoing administration and does not waste the security team’s time with false positives. Instead of chasing down every ambiguous alert, I can spend more time on long-term preparedness and nurturing the security staff. For us, that means better service at a lower cost. FireEye is one of my few “go-to” products when I start my day. The business benefits are far reaching.

it_user221838
    Chief Technology Officer & CISO at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    We were looking to find a way to stop malware from getting through. Our overall threat environment is well managed.
    To fend off a growing wave of cyber attacks, the clinic had built up a multilayered defense-in-depth security infrastructure. We went as far as blocking out traffic from entire countries known for a high volume of attacks—a step we could take because of our exclusively local customer base. Still, malware was getting through. Clinic employees would sometimes visit malicious or compromised websites. Malware on these sites sidestepped the clinic’s security measures, leading to several infections and concerns that accounts could be compromised. I signed on to a proof-of-value trial of the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform for Web security. The trial soon uncovered malware that our existing security tools had not detected. And later during the test, someone at our clinic clicked on a…

Still, malware was getting through. Clinic employees would sometimes visit malicious or compromised websites. Malware on these sites sidestepped the clinic’s security measures, leading to several infections and concerns that accounts could be compromised. I signed on to a proof-of-value trial of the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform for Web security. The trial soon uncovered malware that our existing security tools had not detected. And later during the test, someone at our clinic clicked on a malicious link—which FireEye immediately detected and blocked. At that point, justifying the purchase was easy. We looked for competitive products, and none were found. I don’t think anybody else had anything anywhere close to where FireEye is. Installation was a breeze, the FireEye platform integrated seamlessly with our legacy security tools. Those tools included a firewall, intrusion prevention system, and Web gateway.

Today, FireEye plays a central role in our security infrastructure. Powered by the FireEye Multi-Vector Virtual Execution engine, the Network Threat Prevention Platform blocks inbound Web exploits and outbound multi-protocol callbacks to stop Web-based attacks.

The FireEye platform does not rely on malware binary signatures, so it identifies attacks that traditional defenses miss. In a typical month, FireEye generated 23 alerts—malware that had slipped past our other defenses. Out of those, 17 required no action because FireEye blocked them automatically. The remaining six were easily thwarted, thanks to clear, actionable alerts from the FireEye platform. We came into this with our eyes wide open. And this solution is really doing what we expected it to do.

FireEye is so effective at blocking attacks that we were even able to defer an upgrade of our IPS solution, saving a significant amount of money. One of the largest benefits of the FireEye platform is less tangible: reputation enhancement. The product works; our overall threat environment is well managed.

it_user221835
    Senior Director of IT with 501-1,000 employees
    POV discovered a number of previously undetected threats enabling system administrators to take action and make the system even more secure.
    At the core of the bank’s ability to meet our mandate is a substantial IT infrastructure that not only needs to run optimally, but must be protected. We have long embraced best practices when it came to cybersecurity, but recognized that advanced threats evolve over time and need to be well handled.  We selected FireEye for a POV conducted over a period of three months. The POV soon discovered a number of previously undetected threats enabling system administrators to take action and make the system even more secure. As a result of the findings, we implemented FireEye to strengthen our IT infrastructure. The POV was up and running in less than a day and used actual traffic analysis to investigate what was occurring in our IT environment.  This solution consists of FireEye Network Threat…

This solution consists of FireEye Network Threat Prevention platform and FireEye Email Threat Prevention platform in operation alongside FireEye Central Management to coordinate intelligence gathering from the Web and email appliances in addition to the intelligence gathered by the FireEye Threat Intelligence. The POC quickly revealed areas for improvement and potential threats that the traditional defenses had utterly missed.

The FireEye team remained in close contact with our key personnel throughout the process. FireEye proved very supportive both of the technical and business aspects of the POV and ultimately our implementation of their technology both in terms of cost and underscoring the difference between traditional defenses and the next-generation defense system. We are continually strengthening our IT infrastructure together with reinforcing policy and process on IT Security to achieve the highest productivity and lowest risks.

it_user221829
    Expert Penetration Tester at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Compatibility with legacy components alleviates the need for additional investments in hardware, software, and training.
    Our infrastructure contains an extensive amount of hardware, applications, networks, and online banking systems; each with their own characteristics and potential vulnerabilities. With an environment of this complexity it is imperative to deploy best-in-class security measures. However, with the escalating sophistication of multi-domain attacks it became very evident that traditional security technologies were becoming increasingly inadequate and easily bypassed. We spoke with a number of security product providers and industry experts, and we began seeing a pattern of recommendations emerging from many sources for the FireEye suite of solutions. We contacted the company and collaborated to identify exactly what we needed to deploy to supplement our existing defenses. We implemented the…

We implemented the FireEye Network Threat Prevention Platform to guard against zero-day Web exploits and multi-protocol callbacks. The most critical success factor for us was the threat detection performance of the solution: After all of our testing was conducted we felt confident that this was the right approach to safeguard the bank from advanced malware, zero-day and targeted attacks. We especially liked the protection against blended attacks that had already evaded multiple layers of legacy security controls.

Another key benefit was the FireEye platform’s ease of integration with our existing security information event management system. Compatibility with legacy components, such as the SIEM system, alleviates the need for additional investments in hardware, software, and training.

In addition to penetration testing, part of my role involves the analysis of malware that specifically targets Internet banking customers. The appliance’s use of the FireEye Multi-Vector Execution engine and the ability to archive suspected malware for later scrutiny have both been major pluses for this aspect of my job. We are continually investigating new security solutions; the FireEye technology has always been extremely compelling to us, and it has been very validating to see the company back this up with its continuously evolving expertise and innovation. The ever-expanding threatscape makes it a constant challenge to keep our environment protected, but FireEye continues to deliver.

Download our free Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) Report and find out what your peers are saying about FireEye, Palo Alto Networks, Broadcom, and more!