Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Overview

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Web Content Filtering tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway vs Cisco Umbrella

What is Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway?
Websense Web Security blocks web threats to reduce malware infections, decrease help desk incidents and free up valuable IT resources. It has more than 100 security and filtering categories, hundreds of web application and protocol controls, and 60-plus reports with customization and role-based access.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is also known as Forcepoint SWG, Websense Web Security, Forcepoint TRITON.

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Customers
Adventist Health, Alphawest, Amadori, Anoka County, Compartamos Banco, Davies Turner, EverBank, iGATE, Karlstad Municipality, Lake Michigan Credit Union, Scavolini, Smurfit Kappa, Toyota
Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway pricing:
  • "Licensing is flexible. License pricing information is based on the customer, their environment, and on the future approach."
  • "The licensing is not expensive."

Subject Matter Expert at Hitachi Systems, Ltd.
Flexible endpoint security, provides URL filtering, and the reporting is good

What is our primary use case?

We are implementing Forcepoint Web Security Gateway on corporate, and on enterprise levels. We're not only maintaining Forcepoint, but we are also maintaining McAfee and Symantec as well. I implement and maintain Forcepoint. The primary use case of Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway is focusing on the advanced malware detection for our customers. We deployed it in multiple locations, and we ensure that the customer's requirements are achieved. The majority of customers are using the on-premises solution of Forcepoint, and hybrid solutions. But, during this COVID period, they are upgrading that… more »

• "The feature that I find to be most valuable is the flexibility of the single endpoint."
  • "Stability needs some improvement, we have on occasion experienced some delay when it is synchronized."

What other advice do I have?

We deployed this solution during COVID, for two or three customers, and the customers are very happy with this product. I can recommend Forcepoint. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JT
Managing Consultant - Sr. DLP Security Engineer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great analytics, but hindered by weak support

• "The GUI is quite nice."
  • "It's the support that's the problem because that's a different question from the product itself — it's the Achilles heel."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. The product was sitting at about a seven. Support was dragging it down to a six. So, if I had to be honest, they had some very good analytics — just counting the product itself, I would say it's a seven. It wasn't perfectly stable, but it was pretty good. I would say it would need to be more feature-rich. It would need to be more helpful for troubleshooting problems with connections and it would need more stability — then I would give it a higher rating. Under all of those things, it's the support that's the…
Learn what your peers think about Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Head of security solutions at Infodata Professional Services
Reseller
Good security categorization and resolution options, with helpful and responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a professional services company and I use this solution in my office, but I also implement it for some of my customers. This product is used as a security gateway, and more generally, as part of an internet security solution. I have some customers who have deployed this solution on-premises, while others have a hybrid cloud deployment using Azure or AWS.

• "The most valuable feature is the categorization, where you can allow general access to an application but limit specific features."
  • "The deployment is a bit complex and it requires expertise to deploy, which is something that should be improved and made easier to do."

What other advice do I have?

Forcepoint looks ahead at what is needed and they seem to be on track. Two years ago, they knew what they would be doing in 2020, and they are on the right path. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SC
Infrastructure Support Officer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good URL categorization database, intuitive, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it for internal monitoring of internet access as well as for controlling internet access.

• "It has got a really good URL categorization database. It is simple to set up. It is also easy to use and quite intuitive. It has got a nice utility for troubleshooting."
  • "We are using a V10000 G3 appliance. It is just a proxy. It is just HTTP, FTP, and HTTPS. Now, as our website has developed and we are using rich time-connectivity protocols, the proxy doesn't have the ability to work with these protocols. It would be nice if the UDP feature was there for it to filter UDP traffic. It needs firewall capabilities for UDP filtering. Its upgrades can be quite complex, and they don't always go as per the plan. Its reporting could be a bit more granular."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend the version that we have, that is, V10000 G3. I would recommend the later versions. Its implementation depends on your working environment. You might want to go for a hybrid version where it is partly on the cloud and partly on-premises. You also have to look at deploying agents on your systems. So, it just depends on how you are planning on working. Are you working from an office or are you going to be working remotely? That would dictate how you implement the solution. It is a fine product for what it does. Going forward, it would need firewall capabilities for UDP…
Security Team Leader at Infort
An excellent web proxy with good functionality and very deep technical features

• "In terms of functionality, Forcepoint is the best web proxy available."
  • "The solution should be better able to support itself and operate faster. Sometimes the technical support team takes too long to respond."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Forcepoint business partner in Egypt. There are a lot of features already in the application and a lot of features that are added every day, so you have to learn how to implement them. If you decide to use the solution, you have to plan it out and prepare for it. You also have to update your knowledge and make sure your system is updated with regard to the solution. The most difficult part about Forcepoint is that if you take some time away from not working with it you forget features and processes. You need to work on it often and continue learning about it all the time. I'd rate the…
GG
AGM - IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, with excellent technical support but does not scale well

• "For the most part, the solution, when set up correctly, works fine."
  • "Overall the software is occupying too much memory space. If they could remedy that, it would be a better experience, because today Windows is occupying too much memory space as well (in terms of the RAM), and this software has also started occupying all the memory. Due to this, I have less space for my other office products and data. I can't, for example, operate a huge Excel sheet or other datasets."

What other advice do I have?

The version I'm currently using is about four years old. My recommendation to other companies would be that they should spend more time analyzing their workload including access approvals and whitelisting/blacklisting. They should have a very clear way of defining the blacklist or whitelist. Companies should also spend more time on sizing the product and considering how they will grow in the future when sizing it. That clarity is a must to decide the proper product size that will last over years as a company potentially grows. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
CTO at Lactalis
Very stable and simple protection against security threats

What is our primary use case?

My position means that I'm focused on functionalities and the happiness of the users of this solution. I am the CTO of sales and we are a customer of Forcepoint.

• "The antiviral sandboxing."
  • "Sometimes attacks or a new ransomware gets through."

What other advice do I have?

We are happy with the solution for now. One of the reasons we took it is that it gives us the flexibility to change if we do not like it or we are not happy. To be honest, once we made the decision, I didn't look at the marketplace anymore. It's possible that there are better products out there today. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
TA
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Offers strong security and is easy to manage but the deployment and configuration is complicated

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider for a variety of products including web security, next-generation firewalls, and DLP. Forcepoint Web Security is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

• "Once deployed, the management console is simple and easy to use."
  • "In the on-premises version, I don't like the deployment and structuring of the device."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 5 more Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Reviews
Download our free Forcepoint Secure Web Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.