ForgeRock OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ForgeRock is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Customer Identity and Access Management tools. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: ForgeRock vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is ForgeRock?
Open source provisioning solution for real-time user management life cycle automation.

ForgeRock is also known as ForgeRock Identity Platform, ForgeRock OpenIDM .

Download the Access Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

ForgeRock Customers
Geico, Thomson Reuters, Salesforce, McKesson, Trinet, SKY, BNP Paribas, Deloitte, Capgemini, North Western University
ForgeRock Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ForgeRock pricing:
  • "We have multiple clients we are looking at right now. We are at a very small number, however, the idea and the goal is to grow. We are looking at about $100,000 and $50,000 a minimum a month cost. That'd be minimum maybe in a couple of years."
  • "The pricing of the solution is fair but I do not have the full details."
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis, but it also depends on the contract that you have with the vendor. They have multiple types of contracts. There are additional costs to the standard licensing fees. If you need some of the features, you have to pay more."
  • "The license is purchased annually per user. However, you can negotiate if you are signing for a longer period of time. When comparing this solution to others on the market it is priced fair, it is not at the top of the price range or at the bottom end."
  • "Its price is comparable to other products in the market."
  • "It's a bit pricey and could be more competitive."

ForgeRock Reviews

VK
Technology Solutions Leader at a outsourcing company with 10,001+ employees
Good for multi-client setups and easy to implement but the scalability seems uncertain

• "Even though we have very small business interests with them today, they see that we plan on growing drastically over the next two years. Therefore, we have excellent support and we are now at a point where we are not calling tech support. We pick up a phone and call the Account Manager and they'll get everything resolved for us. We don't have to queue along with everybody else and go through a long process."
  • "We're worried about the scaling. We're told it will be okay and there won't be issues, however, I'm not 100% convinced."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for multiple clients and multiple implementations.

What is most valuable?

Fundamentally, we're not using ForgeRock as a single application Identity Management Solution. We need it for multiple clients, multiple implementations. Not all of them are necessarily a multi-tenant solution. We need a very versatile solution that can do a lot of work, but from a single instance that we can centralize authentications and we don't duplicate the efforts and that's where ForgeRock seems to do better.

What needs improvement?

We need some more time with the solution to really note if there are specific features that are missing. Currently, it's doing a good job of covering what we need.

We've signed the contract and yet we're still not going through the typical process, which is worrying.

We started using the solution a few months ago.

It's been only two, three months. So far, we haven't seen any issues and I'm not sure if we will have any issues in the next year or so.

However, as we move, my biggest concern in the past and right now is when we start adding multiple clients to the same base setup. That's where I'm more worried about how it will take individual authentication versus claims level authentication. I wonder about how it's going to handle all of that. That's where I'm more worried. I'm patiently waiting for a few clients to be on the platform.

I'm worried about the scalability of it. I'm not worried about the scalability itself. I'm sure it will scale. However, I'm concerned about what sorts of problems we'll run into when we start scaling the solution higher. Right now it's very low volume.

They have assured me it will be fine. We just got a new Account Manager assigned to my company and she's assured me that any such problems and they will be able will align with their standard scalability structures. She has assured me that if there are any issues, their team would jump in and make sure that our clients are not going to be impacted by any issues we might end up having.

We're still in the honeymoon phase with ForgeRock. Even though we have very small business interests with them today, they see that we plan on growing drastically over the next two years. Therefore, we have excellent support and we are now at a point where we are not calling tech support. We pick up a phone and call the Account Manager and they'll get everything resolved for us. We don't have to queue along with everybody else and go through a long process. Maybe it will be different once we are around for a while. However, since we are a growing account, we are an enterprise account, and the Account Manager is really new, we are being treated a little bit differently than regular customers. Obviously, I don't expect it to be this red carpet a year down the lane. That said, right now, it's very nice.

We did previously use a different solution. Scalability and consolidated implementation was one of the reasons we had the previous product. However, I can't even remember the name of it. With the previous product, the problem was we had to put a base set up for every client differently when it is not a multi-tenant solution. That was one of the reasons we switched to ForgeRock. Even though the implementations are not multi-tenant, we can re-route all the IT management through ForgeRock at this point in time.

The initial setup wasn't too complex. I didn't think it was any difficult. I sometimes believe I don't give enough credit to my team. Some of my team members have upwards of about 20 years experience in doing this. They're doing these types of implementations all of the time and they make it seem very easy. I haven't heard a single problem from them. They seem to have handled the entire process very well.

In terms of usage, it's not our standard cost. We're not doing it for our purpose. We have multiple clients we are looking at right now. We are at a very small number, however, the idea and the goal is to grow. We are looking at about $100,000 and $50,000 a minimum a month cost. That'd be minimum maybe in a couple of years. We expect that to double, at least based on how many solutions we scale to. The amount of money we spend on ForgeRock will depend on the number of clients we get. Right now it is on one product, so it is not that much currently. If we scale it to other products, that number will change drastically.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

I don't have the details in regards to which version of the solution we're using.

My advice to other potential users would be to not look at the cost savings when you scale. Instead, look at the issues you will run into when you scale. If you plan for scaling two years down the line, the mistake we made a couple of times in other solutions was that it was actually more expensive when you scale without the architecture properly done. Therefore, take the time to plan ahead.

Currently, I'd rate the solution at a seven. I'm a little worried that, even though we've signed the contract, we are being channeled through a couple of leaders rather than going through the regular process. I'm worried about how that new process is going to be for us.

KC
Head Of Service Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, stable, but complex installation

• "The solution is very scalable. We have a lot of users that have been increasing over the years that we have been using it. We have approximately 20,000 users."
  • "In an upcoming release, the solution could improve by limiting the need to do customizations."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the authorization and authentication of various applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution has the ability to handle a lot of users.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for more than three years.

I find the solution to be stable, it has been working well. However, we have encountered some stability issues when we tried to upgrade. Normally we would have to reboot the server and occasionally have performance and tunning issues. The solution's stability during the upgrade should be improved.

The solution is very scalable. We have a lot of users that have been increasing over the years that we have been using it. We have approximately 20,000 users.

Whenever we experience an incident, we call everyone in the breach and the system owner expert will call the support of the solution. The support could improve because we sometimes have to repeat ourselves since the support is across different time zones.

The initial setup of the solution was quite complex because we tried to use it as a Single Sign-On with multiple applications or customers.

The solution requires a vendor consultant for the implementation to make the right choices.

The pricing of the solution is fair but I do not have the full details.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users is to be careful about customizing the solution. If you customize the solution you will need good documentation and information that will have to be retained otherwise, there will be a knowledge gap. Especially if you use it for Single Sign-On or federated authentication and authorization. The more you customize it the more it will cause some issues when you are trying to upgrade. We have found in this particular instance if you do the customization you should have certain consistent standards. If you have this solution across multiple teams, there is no single party that has an overview of the code, and what ends up happening is there is too much customization making the upgrades difficult. However, this all depends on the business.

If we are using the solution in a certain way, especially the authorization with customization can cause problems. Every application might have a different way to authorize its functions in the area. However, the authentication is very straightforward. You have to be careful about customizing the solution, and how to sustain it across your teams. Every three to five years you will need to do an upgrade. Otherwise, you will not be supported. Most of us just treat it as a project, then we move on, and we do not use it until a few years later and then we run into large issues.

I rate ForgeRock a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about ForgeRock, Microsoft, Okta and others in Access Management. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JR
System manager at Tribunal fédéral suisse
Enables us to define our systems but it is quite expensive

• "We create and define the permissions and configurations for the users."
  • "I find that it's quite expensive for just an open-source system. Support is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to define the users in all of our systems like VMS and Samba. We don't use Windows, we use Samba. We create and define the permissions and configurations for the users.

How has it helped my organization?

We were using Solaris IDM system, Solaris sells an IDM system and there was a big migration telling us where to go. They told us to rewrite the IDM solution and we saw which other solutions there were out there. We found this solution and we found someone who could create a proof of concept and we decided to change from Solaris IDM to this. It has the same functionality.

What is most valuable?

In the beginning, it was open-source as opposed to other solutions like IBM. We used Solaris IDM and we had to merge with another product and we chose this because, in our company, open-source software is the main solution.

What needs improvement?

It's hard to speak with ForgeRock. It's very expensive. I find that it's quite expensive for just an open-source system. Support is quite expensive. We are only 300 users. It would make sense for a big company but for a little company, it's quite expensive.

I have been using ForgeRock for around six to seven years.

The stability is quite good. As an IDM system, it's not so stressed. We create five or six users per month.

I heard that it's good for big companies, with thousands of users use it but our company only has a few hundred users. We use little bits of the database. Scalability isn't a problem for us.

I have contacted their support. It's quite good. Out of ten, I would rate it a seven.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

I would recommend trying it. Do a proof of concept. Every company is different. Management is different, you have to find a local company that can support you.

The interface is quite lively but I don't think that it's possible to have UI that's compatible with the rest of the company's. We only use the core of OpenIDM.

Mohamed Yassine Benomar
Cyber Security Consultant at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and useful for securing our system, but should be a little bit easier to implement

• "Their access management solution, OpenAM, is most valuable because it meets the needs of a lot of users."
  • "It should be a little bit easier to implement. It is user-friendly, but there is always scope for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage the identity and access of users to SI and other applications of our company. We implement the identity of the users in that SI.

How has it helped my organization?

It secured our system so that it is accessed only by authorized people, and it implemented the SSO.

What is most valuable?

Their access management solution, OpenAM, is most valuable because it meets the needs of a lot of users.

What needs improvement?

It should be a little bit easier to implement. It is user-friendly, but there is always scope for improvement.

It is a reliable solution.

It is scalable. We have scaled it.

In terms of the number of users, the whole company has to use ForgeRock to be able to connect to the company. For its administration, we have a team of five people. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

Their technical support is good.

I have used SiteMinder and EmpowerID and a solution from Okta.

Its implementation is a little bit complex. It took us between four to six months.

In terms of the implementation strategy, we identified the functional aspects and tried to see if it would meet the needs. After that, we implemented it in the Dev environment, and after that, we implemented it in the Production environment.

I implemented it myself. It does require maintenance, and I handle its maintenance.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis, but it also depends on the contract that you have with the vendor. They have multiple types of contracts.

There are additional costs to the standard licensing fees. If you need some of the features, you have to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if it meets the needs of a company. It is a good solution. You have to implement it to see if it responds to your needs.

I would rate ForgeRock a seven out of ten.

Tavernt Muchenje
Managing Director at I'curity Solutions
Integrates well, keeps up with market trends, and priced well

• "The solution integrates well and it is important for them to keep up with the current trends in the market quickly enough, and they have been doing a good job at it."
  • "The solution requires more simplified customization. However, part of the problem is my clients determining their own preferences. Technology can help and do many things, but you have to define your own policies to ensure that the solution or service works within those parameters. Helping customers understand their business and different processes is another issue not relating to the functionality of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

My clients use the solution primarily for customer identity management, access management, customer onboarding, data management, and authentication.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrates well and it is important for them to keep up with the current trends in the market quickly enough, and they have been doing a good job at it.

What needs improvement?

The solution requires more simplified customization. However, part of the problem is my clients determining their own preferences. Technology can help and do many things, but you have to define your own policies to ensure that the solution or service works within those parameters. Helping customers understand their business and different processes is another issue not relating to the functionality of this solution.

The reports could be more customizable in an upcoming release, and the overall customization could be simplified by making drag-and-drop functionality.

I have been using this solution within 12 months.

I have found the solution stable.

There is a lot of options for scalability in this solution.

ForgeRock was born out of the open souced technology and users can use the community support without a license. Users with a commercial license can talk directly with the support agents that can immediately assist them with their problems.

The installation is very simple.

The license is purchased annually per user. However, you can negotiate if you are signing for a longer period of time. When comparing this solution to others on the market it is priced fair, it is not at the top of the price range or at the bottom end.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement ForgeRock is if they are looking for a strong customizable identity management solution that strikes the balance between convenience and security then this is probably a good choice for you.

I rate ForgeRock an eight out of ten.

AmitJoshi
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution but it requires better technical support

• "The solution's most valuable feature is the authentication for the consumers. The integration with other third-party applications is excellent."
  • "The identity management model needs a bit of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the consumers, for their registration and other applications.

How has it helped my organization?

For our client, which we are deploying for, the solution seems to be offering them really great value.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is the authentication for the consumers. The integration with other third-party applications is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The identity management model needs a bit of improvement.

The solution should work on offering more automation.

I've been using the solution for almost four years.

The stability of the solution is good. They are coming up with good solutions and features. However, I think they should focus more on how they can automate things or make it simpler when it comes to the implementation of cloud solutions.

The solution is extremely scalable. We are implementing this for around 10 million customer records.

Technical support needs improvement. We have raised many cases but every time I call, they don't support. You need to buy their professional services.

When you are deployed on these standalone servers, the initial setup is very straightforward. However, when you are talking about the cloud solution, deployment can be a bit tricky.

Deployment took around two to three months.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

You need to negotiate the pricing, so how expensive or affordable it ends up being depends on each individual contract.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are working under the Agile model.

I would advise others to assess the product first based on their requirements. There are multiple models, so they need to be sure to choose the best option for them. Otherwise, they will end up purchasing everything and they might not utilize that product.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Sami Alsouri
Identity and Access Manager at Freiberufler
A stable and scalable solution with good intelligent authentication feature

• "I like the intelligent authentication feature."
  • "It should have a better user interface. Its flexibility should also be improved. It is not about simplifying; it is more about flexibility. Each company has its own requirements, and ForgeRock can provide more flexibility in terms of the use of existing modules to implement features for the customers."

What is our primary use case?

I have been using ForgeRock as a central repository for identities. We have OpenIDM as one of the products. We also have access management and single sign-on authentication for single sign-on purposes.

There are different use cases. One of the interesting projects was to use ForgeRock as software as a service for the biggest telecommunication company in Switzerland. They used it as a service for their customers.

What is most valuable?

I like the intelligent authentication feature.

What needs improvement?

It should have a better user interface. Its flexibility should also be improved. It is not about simplifying; it is more about flexibility. Each company has its own requirements, and ForgeRock can provide more flexibility in terms of the use of existing modules to implement features for the customers.

I have been using this solution for three to four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable.

It depends on whether you have a good partner network. If you have limited support for professional technical services, there could be some pain points.

The deployment depends on the use cases and the size of the company. It can be complex for bigger environments, but for smaller companies, it is straightforward. For example, for one of the biggest chemical companies in Germany, we were searching millions of identities. We didn't apply it at the end because of some budget reasons, and the project was canceled or frozen.

Its price is comparable to other products in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would advise others to look for a good integrator.

I would rate ForgeRock a nine out of ten.

President at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
An access management platform that is stable and DevOps-ready, but the deployment process could be improved

• "ForgeRock has CIAM, which other products didn't have, and they have DevOps ready."
  • "Automatic Deployment needs improvement. it could be made easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as an access management platform.

What is most valuable?

ForgeRock has CIAM with leading and innovative solutions.  ForgeRock is DevOps and cloud ready.

What needs improvement?

Automatic Deployment needs improvement. It could be made easier.

In the next release, I would like it to be easier to use, easier to deploy, and more implementation-friendly.

I have been using this solution for over five years.

We are currently using the latest version.

This solution is relatively stable.

It's a scalable product. We have implemented it for over 5,000 users.

The technical support is fine and we have not had any issues.

I have worked with many other solutions such as CA, IBM, Oracle, and Ping Identity.

It's a bit pricey and could be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

If you are thinking of using this solution then you should find a service provider who is trained. Troubleshooting skills like performance tuning are important.

It's a bit costly, so you should make it pluggable so that you can switch vendors when you want.

Generally, you need to be careful not to lock-in 100%.  Select a loosely coupled approach, that way you can replace individual modules if you want to.

Go with open standards and avoid using any proprietary protocols.

Download our free Access Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about ForgeRock, Microsoft, Okta, and more!