ForgeRock Overview

ForgeRock is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Customer Identity and Access Management tools. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: ForgeRock vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is ForgeRock?
Open source provisioning solution for real-time user management life cycle automation.

ForgeRock is also known as ForgeRock Identity Platform, ForgeRock OpenIDM .

Download the Access Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

ForgeRock Customers
Geico, Thomson Reuters, Salesforce, McKesson, Trinet, SKY, BNP Paribas, Deloitte, Capgemini, North Western University
ForgeRock Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ForgeRock pricing:
  • "We have multiple clients we are looking at right now. We are at a very small number, however, the idea and the goal is to grow. We are looking at about $100,000 and $50,000 a minimum a month cost. That'd be minimum maybe in a couple of years."
  • "The pricing of the solution is fair but I do not have the full details."
  • "Its licensing is on a yearly basis, but it also depends on the contract that you have with the vendor. They have multiple types of contracts. There are additional costs to the standard licensing fees. If you need some of the features, you have to pay more."
  • "The license is purchased annually per user. However, you can negotiate if you are signing for a longer period of time. When comparing this solution to others on the market it is priced fair, it is not at the top of the price range or at the bottom end."
  • "Its price is comparable to other products in the market."
  • "It's a bit pricey and could be more competitive."

VK
Technology Solutions Leader at a outsourcing company with 10,001+ employees
Good for multi-client setups and easy to implement but the scalability seems uncertain

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for multiple clients and multiple implementations.

• "Even though we have very small business interests with them today, they see that we plan on growing drastically over the next two years. Therefore, we have excellent support and we are now at a point where we are not calling tech support. We pick up a phone and call the Account Manager and they'll get everything resolved for us. We don't have to queue along with everybody else and go through a long process."
  • "We're worried about the scaling. We're told it will be okay and there won't be issues, however, I'm not 100% convinced."

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the solution. I don't have the details in regards to which version of the solution we're using. My advice to other potential users would be to not look at the cost savings when you scale. Instead, look at the issues you will run into when you scale. If you plan for scaling two years down the line, the mistake we made a couple of times in other solutions was that it was actually more expensive when you scale without the architecture properly done. Therefore, take the time to plan ahead. Currently, I'd rate the solution at a…
KC
Head Of Service Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, stable, but complex installation

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the authorization and authentication of various applications.

• "The solution is very scalable. We have a lot of users that have been increasing over the years that we have been using it. We have approximately 20,000 users."
  • "In an upcoming release, the solution could improve by limiting the need to do customizations."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users is to be careful about customizing the solution. If you customize the solution you will need good documentation and information that will have to be retained otherwise, there will be a knowledge gap. Especially if you use it for Single Sign-On or federated authentication and authorization. The more you customize it the more it will cause some issues when you are trying to upgrade. We have found in this particular instance if you do the customization you should have certain consistent standards. If you have this solution across multiple teams, there is no single party…
Find out what your peers are saying about ForgeRock, Microsoft, Okta and others in Access Management. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JR
System manager at Tribunal fédéral suisse
Enables us to define our systems but it is quite expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use it to define the users in all of our systems like VMS and Samba. We don't use Windows, we use Samba. We create and define the permissions and configurations for the users.

• "We create and define the permissions and configurations for the users."
  • "I find that it's quite expensive for just an open-source system. Support is quite expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. I would recommend trying it. Do a proof of concept. Every company is different. Management is different, you have to find a local company that can support you. The interface is quite lively but I don't think that it's possible to have UI that's compatible with the rest of the company's. We only use the core of OpenIDM.
Mohamed Yassine Benomar
Cyber Security Consultant at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and useful for securing our system, but should be a little bit easier to implement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to manage the identity and access of users to SI and other applications of our company. We implement the identity of the users in that SI.

• "Their access management solution, OpenAM, is most valuable because it meets the needs of a lot of users."
  • "It should be a little bit easier to implement. It is user-friendly, but there is always scope for improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if it meets the needs of a company. It is a good solution. You have to implement it to see if it responds to your needs. I would rate ForgeRock a seven out of ten.
Tavernt Muchenje
Managing Director at I'curity Solutions
Integrates well, keeps up with market trends, and priced well

What is our primary use case?

My clients use the solution primarily for customer identity management, access management, customer onboarding, data management, and authentication.

• "The solution integrates well and it is important for them to keep up with the current trends in the market quickly enough, and they have been doing a good job at it."
  • "The solution requires more simplified customization. However, part of the problem is my clients determining their own preferences. Technology can help and do many things, but you have to define your own policies to ensure that the solution or service works within those parameters. Helping customers understand their business and different processes is another issue not relating to the functionality of this solution."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement ForgeRock is if they are looking for a strong customizable identity management solution that strikes the balance between convenience and security then this is probably a good choice for you. I rate ForgeRock an eight out of ten.
AmitJoshi
Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution but it requires better technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for the consumers, for their registration and other applications.

• "The solution's most valuable feature is the authentication for the consumers. The integration with other third-party applications is excellent."
  • "The identity management model needs a bit of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we are working under the Agile model. I would advise others to assess the product first based on their requirements. There are multiple models, so they need to be sure to choose the best option for them. Otherwise, they will end up purchasing everything and they might not utilize that product. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
Sami Alsouri
Identity and Access Manager at Freiberufler
A stable and scalable solution with good intelligent authentication feature

What is our primary use case?

I have been using ForgeRock as a central repository for identities. We have OpenIDM as one of the products. We also have access management and single sign-on authentication for single sign-on purposes. There are different use cases. One of the interesting projects was to use ForgeRock as software as a service for the biggest telecommunication company in Switzerland. They used it as a service for their customers.

• "I like the intelligent authentication feature."
  • "It should have a better user interface. Its flexibility should also be improved. It is not about simplifying; it is more about flexibility. Each company has its own requirements, and ForgeRock can provide more flexibility in terms of the use of existing modules to implement features for the customers."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would advise others to look for a good integrator. I would rate ForgeRock a nine out of ten.
President at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
An access management platform that is stable and DevOps-ready, but the deployment process could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as an access management platform.

• "ForgeRock has CIAM, which other products didn't have, and they have DevOps ready."
  • "Automatic Deployment needs improvement. it could be made easier."

What other advice do I have?

If you are thinking of using this solution then you should find a service provider who is trained. Troubleshooting skills like performance tuning are important. It's a bit costly, so you should make it pluggable so that you can switch vendors when you want. Generally, you need to be careful not to lock-in 100%. Select a loosely coupled approach, that way you can replace individual modules if you want to. Go with open standards and avoid using any proprietary protocols. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 1 more ForgeRock Reviews
Download our free Access Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about ForgeRock, Microsoft, Okta, and more!