Fortinet FortiADC OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiADC is #6 ranked solution in top Application Delivery Controllers. IT Central Station users give Fortinet FortiADC an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiADC is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiWeb:Fortinet FortiADC vs Fortinet FortiWeb. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiADC?

With bandwidth demand growing faster than budgets and cyber attacks constantly on the rise, it can be challenging to securely and efficiently deliver applications at the speed your users expect. Fortinet ADC appliances optimize the availability, user experience, and scalability of enterprise application delivery. They deliver fast, secure, and intelligent acceleration and distribution of even the most demanding enterprise applications.

Fortinet FortiADC is also known as FortiADC Application Delivery Controller, FortiADC.

Download the Application Delivery Controllers (ADC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Fortinet FortiADC Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiADC Video

Fortinet FortiADC Reviews

VK
Senior Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Great inbuilt firewall feature; content compression is limited

• "Content caching and content compression are good features."
  • "Technical support and documentation could both be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use FortiADC for load balancing the application traffic for our customers. The aim is for the traffic to be equally balanced between servers, whether there are two, 10 or 20 servers. There are different load balancing algorithms that we have on the FortiADC and based on that we configure and we load balance the traffic. We have a static website, so we can use FortiWeb instead of the connection coming from the client each time. FortiADC gets the request from the cache Instead of it being sent to the server. If we have different ISP links, then we do our link load balancing using FortiADC. I'm a senior cyber security engineer and we are distributors of FortiADC.

How has it helped my organization?

There are a lot of benefits to the customer using this solution. Because FortiADC helps in load balancing traffic, at peak times the logs get sent to FortiAnalyzer where they have an automated SOAR, security orchestration and automation for the incident response. Whenever it detects an attack, it will automatically trigger an alert on the service ticket and send it to the appropriate team. That's the benefit of this solution to the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be content caching and content compression. It also has an inbuilt firewall. I doubt whether any other ADC supports this firewall feature. It also has a web application firewall feature.

What needs improvement?

Any issues with this solution seem to be connected to technical support. They need to respond more quickly, providing a one or two day response time is not adequate. In addition, the company hasn't provided good technical documentation. It requires step by step procedures on how to configure some of the features on the FortiADC. They should come up with good KB articles and information related to the workings of the product. Fortinet specifies that the solution can be used for 1,000 clients, but actually we've found that you can't go above 400 for content compression and rewriting. If you go above 400, the solution becomes unresponsive.

I've been using this solution for about five years.

It's a reliable solution but I think F5 is better as a load balancer. We sometimes get bugs but Fortinet has a specialized bug team that can create a patch within a specified period of time, two weeks or maybe within a month and the issue will be rectified. The solution needs maintenance each time they release a new firmware. The stability needs to be tested and we need to check whatever we are running, and make sure there are no critical bugs.

The solution is scalable up to a point. If you're expanding your company and have a lot of customers, say 2,000, you need to go for a higher end model. Otherwise you'll have problems if you're using the hardware model. With the cloud and with the VM, you can always scale to your requirements. We have 400 users. We implement the solution and if customers want to use our website and database servers, the client traffic will hit the ADC and it will load balance to all the servers. If the company decides to expand, then we might need to scale FortiADC.

Technical support has a policy that only a priority one ticket will be given priority. Without that, there can be a significant delay in getting a response from technical support. It's not good enough.

I've had minimal experience with F5 which has more features and I think most people would go for F5. In cases where customers are using other Fortinet products they will prefer to go with FortiADC because of the SOAR feature on the FortiAnalyzer and automatic incident response on other things.

The initial setup is straightforward. You bring up FortiADC and you configure the interfaces, then you configure the load balancing profiles. That's it. I carry out the deployment myself and it generally takes a week or two. Deployment time is based on the customer configuration, load balancing profiles, but it generally takes a maximum of two weeks.

The deployment plan is to get the topology of the customer. Once that is complete, we create this HLD and LLD and also the solution diagram. Those are the main things that we do before deployment. Once we have the HLD, LLD reports, then we implement within the customer environment and we test if everything works, and if everything is good it gets put into production.

The main reason a client wants this load balancer is because there is a load on the web server and one of them becomes unresponsible and that means a big loss for the company. It's the main reason they purchase FortiADC. Once they implement this solution there are no issues with the load server.

From a pricing perspective, I believe FortiADC is cheaper than the F5 and also cheaper than some of the well established load balancers. There is a subscription fee but I'm not sure of the exact cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using FortiADC, they seem to be coming up with some new features. They have a lot of patents compared to other security companies. They're coming up with new machine learnings and other features. The solution provides an overall good experience.

I would currently rate this solution a seven out of 10.

NT
Technical Manager/Division of Computers Systems, Networks, and Maintenance at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
Good SSL offloading and performance, plus it catches security breaches in our academic environment

• "TSL and SSL offloading are both very good features."
  • "FortiADC is complex to configure so the interface should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are an academic institution and our primary use of FortiADC is for student registrations. In the month that I have been using this solution, it seems to be working fine. It is a trial version and I am using it as a virtual appliance, rather than a physical one.

How has it helped my organization?

Our students can use this solution to view communication that has been published, including for courses. It can be viewed using computers connected to the internet, phones, and other mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL offloading. TSL and SSL offloading are both very good features.

This solution improves security for servers by offering data loss protection.

What needs improvement?

FortiADC is complex to configure so the interface should be improved. The commands that you need to use are complex.

I have been evaluating FortiADC for about one month.

The platform is very easy to scale because it's virtual. You just buy licenses and increase the hardware when needed. We have as many as 3,000 users, although not all of the time. We probably have about 1,000 concurrent users. All of them are students.

The FortiADC technical support has responded to my questions and resolved issues.

I have used Brocade, which is now obsolete and the company did not release a similar product. Brocade was a good product with good performance, but I need new firmware and I can't upgrade it. It is restricted to TLS version 1.0 only, whereas I need to use TLS 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3. TLS 1.0 has weak encryption.

The initial setup of Brocade was complex and the company could not make the configuration easier. You needed experience because it is mostly operated through the command-line interface. It is similar to a Cisco product in this way. I was able to complete the setup on my own by reading the documentation that was available on the internet.

I am currently evaluating FortiADC and Kemp.

The Kemp solution lacks information and the graphical interface is not very good. Also, Kemp has given us no support.

I was interested in evaluating a solution by Barracuda but I could not get a trial version.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the users and the company. Load balancing is very important for big companies. They need to use it for TSL and SSL offloading.

I am not interested in additional features. I only want FortiADC to work fine as it catches security breaches and increases performance.

Overall, FortiADC is a good product, although it is complex to configure.

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, F5, Kemp and others in Application Delivery Controllers (ADC). Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
Supervisor at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly interface makes it simple to use and the technical support is excellent

• "The most valuable feature is its simplicity."
  • "It would be good if they built in a fully functional web application firewall."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for application delivery control and global load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its simplicity.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if they built in a fully functional web application firewall.

They should update this product more often.

We have been using FortiADC for three years.

FortiADC has been pretty stable and reliable for us.

We have a fixed integration so scalability is not relevant for us.

Technical support is excellent and we have no issues with them. You can call them from the device itself, after which they come online and they are pretty good.

We had some complexity when it came to the initial setup, although I think that it was because of us, rather than the product. It took us a total of five days before we went online, which included setup and testing. This involved connecting to our backend networks, creating the VLANs, and so forth.

Overall, it was not difficult and the vendor gave us great support.

We evaluated application delivery controllers and global load balancers from other vendors before choosing FortiADC.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product, it does what it's supposed to, and I would recommend it to anybody. My main complaint is that the WAP functionality is very primitive.

Omar Cancino
Technical Director at AXIOBASE
Easy to manage, stable, easy to configure, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT integrator and we sell ADC, mainly Fortinet FortiADC. In our last project, we used Fortinet FortiADC for load balancing some specific applications for telecom.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL offloading capacity. It is easy to manage and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

It's a stable solution.

They have different appliances to cover low performance, less performance, and big-box data that supports large capacities.  With our customers, we have 200,000 end-users.

Technical support for me is okay…

What is our primary use case?

I am an IT integrator and we sell ADC, mainly Fortinet FortiADC.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SSL offloading capacity.

It is easy to manage and easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

It's a stable solution.

With our customers, we have 200,000 end-users.

Technical support for me is okay and I don't have any problems with them. I have no complaints.

The initial setup was not complex, but it was not simple either.

These types of machines have complexity, but with a good engineering team, it is much easier to do the jobs.

We have a team of two to deploy and maintain this solution.

The design, installation, and configuration took one week.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiADC a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
OS
Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Simple to use and easy to integrate; we had issues with SSL and encrypted traffic

• "Simple to use and easy to integrate."
  • "Issues with SSL and encrypted traffic."

What is most valuable?

I like all the products in the Fortinet family, they are simple to use and you can integrate a virtual server in a couple of minutes. If you have the topology, if you have the network, you can make a virtual server batch in a couple of minutes. It uses the same FortiOS regardless of the product.

What needs improvement?

The product needs more development because it has issues with SSL traffic and encrypted traffic. It's been a little while since I used it and maybe things have improved but with Fortinet you can use a lot of features near the load balancing mechanism.

Fortinet decided to cut the product into two pieces, because FortiWeb has a lot of security features, but FortiADC has a load balancing mechanism. Customers need a fast solution with a load balancing solution and a web application firewall. If you are using FortiWeb, you can use FortiGuard Intelligence Service. But in the FortiADC, it has more load balancing features, but it lacks security features.

I used this solution for one year.

What other advice do I have?

In comparison to its competitors, I rate this solution a five out of 10.