Yati Gharat
Chief Technology Officer at Litmus
Can be used by institutions whose data needs to be on-premises and not in the cloud

• "I have found incident management and also identifying new threats, analyzing the network traffic, and finding out the issues with the network traffic such as any security issues to be valuable. I also like the compliance reports."
  • "One thing we struggled with FortiAnalyzer was integration with SIEM. We also had issues with the new threats and APTs. There were false positives, so we needed to have some ratings related to false positives."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our clients are banking and financial institutions, so their data doesn't go to the cloud as such. Their data is on-premises only. Some of our clients can go to the cloud to save the price and do management, administration, and so on, but then most of our clients, use on-premises FortiAnalyzer.

What is most valuable?

I have found incident management and also identifying new threats, analyzing the network traffic, and finding out the issues with the network traffic such as any security issues to be valuable. I also like the compliance reports.

It is a very stable and scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

One thing we struggled with FortiAnalyzer was integration with SIEM. We also had issues with the new threats and APTs. There were false positives, so we needed to have some ratings related to false positives.

It is easy to set up is you have FortiGate firewalls. We tried setting up with other devices, and I don't think it supports other firewalls or other devices. If it did, then it would have been great because we would have been able to use FortiAnalyzer for hybrid environments with different OEM firewalls.

If we can have an intelligent analysis system which will detect false positives and detect the exact problem, it would be great.  If FortiAnalyzer can integrate with FortiSIEM and give us threat reports, that will also help because then I won't need to have another tool or another dashboard which I need to look out for.

I've been using it for four years.

It is a very stable product, and we have had no issues at all.

It is easy to scale; there are no challenges.

The technical support is good. Most of the time, when we escalate the tickets the second line of support, FortiGate support, has been very good. The first line might take up time, but the second line of support resolves the case quite quickly.

The initial setup is quite simple with FortiGate devices. So, if you have FortiGate firewalls, it is quite easy to set up. Once Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is configured, then the only thing we need to do is to monitor it.

When you compare with other firewall vendors, FortiAnalyzer is quite competitive in pricing. They are very aggressive as well.

What other advice do I have?

If you have critical objects to protect or critical data to protect, then you should go for FortiAnalyzer.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer at eight.

SG
IT Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to set up and simple to use but could have a better reporting module

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The pricing could be better. They could work to make it more competitive on the market."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for logging collection.

What is most valuable?

It's a simple log collection tool. There isn't too much that's special or unique about it.

It meets our expectations for the most part.

The solution does offer very useful integration capabilities.

The interface is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The report module could be simplified a bit to make it easier to use.

Technical support has been very bad. They should work to improve their level of service.

I've been dealing with the solution for about seven years at this point. It's been a while. I have a lot of experience with it.

The solution is stable and there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is good.

The scalability might be limited depending on the installation.

We haven't been happy with technical support. We find the service to be quite bad. For example, in our last experience dealing with them, we had multiple issues and the outcomes were not great. We were disappointed with the help we received.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's straightforward enough. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup.

The pricing isn't the least expensive on the market. They could work to improve it to make it more interesting for other companies. Adjusting pricing might be a good move.

I've personally looked into other security solutions, just to understand the market for myself. I've personally compared Fortinet, Meraki, Check Point, and Cisco ASA Firewall in terms of their safety and security capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

We're Fortinet partners. We have a business relationship with the company.

I'd give the solution a rating of six out of ten.

I'd still recommend it to other users, however. If the reporting, interface, and tech support were a bit better, I'd rate it higher.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BK
Assistant Manager - Cloud Planning and Development at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very good log analysis and reporting with a straightforward deployment

• "The log analysis and reporting are both quite good."
  • "The solution lacks business intelligence features. It's much too basic."

What is our primary use case?

We're a service provider. Our clients use the solution for log management.

We are using physical and virtual end ware. We have a physical and logical virtual environment for using this platform, which we provide to our customers.

What is most valuable?

We are utilizing the previous site end dividers and the IPS, IDS DDoS features.

The log analysis and reporting are both quite good.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't have online analysis. We can't analyze certain parts of the logs. For example, we can't analyze current logs.

It would be helpful if we could use the system we use to monitor everything to also check the live traffic or live logs.

The solution lacks business intelligence features. It's much too basic.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

The solution is stable. We've never faced issues.

The solution does not scale easily. It's a hardware solution. We have FortiAnalyzer hardware, and since it has a hardware agent on the storage ware, it requires Forti capacity for analyzing purposes. There's only a finite amount of space in the hardware itself. It isn't infinite.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and we've been very satisfied at the level of support we've received so far.

The initial setup varies from company to company. Some are straightforward, some are complex.

Deployment is a simple task. FortiAnalyzer comes with the hardware version and a virtual agent. We just deploy and integrate it with the other Fortinet products.

There is a lot of competition for Fortinet in this area, including USM and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

We are Fortinet partners.

For those organizations that need to use a product for reporting or some analysis of logs, this is a good solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. The features are basic, and there's not too much business intelligence behind them. If it offered more of that, I'd rate it higher.

AC
Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly interface with a quick response and good analytics

• "FortiAnalyzer has a user-friendly interface with a quick response and good analytics. It's very secure because it's taking the log from the devices on a secure channel, so there is no problem with that in your network."
  • "The cost of FortiAnalyzer could be cheaper, especially when you are installing to a VM. For 90 percent of customers, the VM solution is enough."

What is our primary use case?

For most of our customers, we are installing FortiAnalyzer as a VM-based solution. We installed a big analyzer for just one customer because they needed too much storage capacity. We have about 10 clients using it currently.

How has it helped my organization?

We prepare reports for our customers, and when the manager sees them, he's pleased. They show how many users connected, how many attacks happened, and the number of attacks stopped. The management of the IP depends on your report, so the customers need it. We are customizing these reports every day or every week, depending on what the customers need. We send emails with these reports, and the managers are also pleased about it. Also, technical guys are thrilled because they can solve problems very quickly. It's working on the SQL Server, so techs can do a quick search in real-time and see everything in the port analyzer's interface query.

What is most valuable?

FortiAnalyzer has a user-friendly interface with a quick response and good analytics. It's very secure because it's taking the log from the devices on a secure channel, so there is no problem with that in your network. Because you're getting the information from a secure channel, it's also possible to back it up in a storage solution.

We have been installing FortiAnalyzer bundled with other products for about six or seven years.

Setting up FortiAnalyzer is very straightforward. It takes just 30 minutes or less. With our installation, we sent our FortiGates log, email logs, and other logs for the three devices we're currently running to the analyzers we are using within the public architecture.

The license depends on the storage capacity. If you want to take a log of up to 1 gigabyte daily, it's free, if I remember correctly. But if you want 5 gigabytes daily, it's licensed at different prices. The cost of FortiAnalyzer could be cheaper, especially when you are installing to a VM. For 90 percent of customers, the VM solution is enough.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FortiAnalyzer 10 out of 10

AJ
CEO at Corem Technologies
Reseller
Robust reporting and flexible connectivity

• "The features that our customers have found most valuable are their different type of reports including the drill down report, as well as the flexibility to connect to any number of appliances which can be connected to it centrally."
  • "Pricing-wise, it not affordable for the normal customer. Most of the people want to see different types of reporting, but FortiAnalyzer's fee is a little bit difficult."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Analyzer, is for keeping the logs and for different types of reporting.

What is most valuable?

The features that our customers have found most valuable are their different type of reports including the drill down report, as well as the flexibility to connect to any number of appliances which can be connected to it centrally.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what can be improved, of course the cloud storage possibilities are there, but the cost and the renewal parts are high. Pricing-wise, it not affordable for the normal customer. Most of the people want to see different types of reporting, but FortiAnalyzer's fee is a little bit difficult.

We have been selling and supporting FortiAnalyzer for customers for three to four years.

All the Fortinet services are very stable products.

Maintenance and networking are under the Fortinet warranty so we cannot do anything on that. It means we can just coordinate things. It is based on the ticket.

I don't think the built-in memory can be upgraded for the Analyzer. I think it is not possible. That means that the hardware is more suitable for large companies.

Their support is fairly good.

The initial setup was simple.

In terms of fees, one is subscription and one is the hardware warranty. There are two types of subscriptions - one is a security subscription and the other one is the support.

A lot of products are coming with built-in facilities, but FortiAnalyzer is a much better solution. People may like it, but affordability is a problem.

What other advice do I have?

For customers who need to have different types of reporting presentable to different levels of hierarchy, FortiAnalyzer is a lovely solution. Otherwise, there is no point in getting some logs. It should be presentable.

On a scale of one to ten, I'll give FortiAnalyzer an eight or nine.

PA
Vice President of Innovation and Customer Solutions at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Useful reports, scalable, and priced well

• "The solution does what it is supposed to. I want it to do reports for Fortinet and it does it well."
  • "The FortiAnalyzer is not good at managing multi-version environments. If all your FortiGate are at different versions in the field, that's difficult. The one thing we didn't like is the fact you have to have 100% of your environment at the same release, which is not pleasant, to have it fully functional. You can have a different release, but to have it fully functional 100% of your environment has to be the same release."

What is our primary use case?

We're a managed service provider and we use Fortinet FortiAnalyzer to generate reports for our customers. We manage our customer's Fortinet environment and FortiAnalyzer allows us to send a monthly report or on-demand report to our customers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The FortiAnalyzer is not good at managing multi-version environments. If all your FortiGate are at different versions in the field, that's difficult. The one thing we didn't like is the fact you have to have 100% of your environment at the same release, which is not pleasant, to have it fully functional. You can have a different release, but to have it fully functional 100% of your environment has to be the same release.

In a future release, if they could turn they could turn Fortinet FortiAnalyzer into a multi-vendor supporting tool it would be awesome. However, I do not think this will happen.

I used Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for approximately two years.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is scalable.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is easy to scale. We have approximately 50-100 employees using this solution.

We have other log analyzers, but we have found with Fortinet FortiAnalyzerwhen you have a Fortinet environment, it's fully integrated. This was what we were looking for, we were not looking for multi-vendor solutions, we were looking for the best log analysis tool for Fortinet.

The solution is easy to set up.

We found the price of Fortinet FortiAnalyzer to be reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to use Fortinet FortiAnalyzer to use an MSP, to use a managed service provider, they can call us.

I rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
PK
Jr. Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and scalable with robust security and performance

• "Its robust security and performance are the two main features. We also use the log reporting feature."
  • "We should be able to do the patch upgrades in a centralized manner. This functionality is currently not there. It would be good to be able to do the firmware updates from one place and at the same time. Currently, if we want to update all appliances, we require FortiManager, which is another solution from Fortinet. Its documentation can be improved. It will be helpful for implementing the product and gaining knowledge for management purposes."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use it for security. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its robust security and performance are the two main features. We also use the log reporting feature.

What needs improvement?

We should be able to do the patch upgrades in a centralized manner. This functionality is currently not there. It would be good to be able to do the firmware updates from one place and at the same time. Currently, if we want to update all appliances, we require FortiManager, which is another solution from Fortinet.

Its documentation can be improved. It will be helpful for implementing the product and gaining knowledge for management purposes.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for three years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. This solution is being used for a government department with a lot of users.

Their technical support is good. We don't have any issues with their support.

In my earlier organization, I have used solutions from CheckPoint and Palo Alto. These are good products, but they are expensive as compared to Fortinet.

The initial setup is very easy.

We got help from Fortinet engineers. We have a tie-up with the Fortinet support team. They install it for us.

We have three people for its deployment and maintenance. We have two network engineers and one technical support engineer.

Its price is okay for us. Fortinet products are cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on the organization. We are using this solution, and we are getting good results.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a ten out of ten. It is the best.

Rafael Riera
Pre-sales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A stable solution that provides information about the state of all firewalls

• "The most important feature is to be able to get reports or information about the state of all firewalls."
  • "Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not in the cloud environment like some of the other products. There could be a possibility of extending its functionality to the cloud environment. If possible, they could have a deal with or integrate with other firewall manufacturers, like Palo Alto and Cisco, and mix the information. It is a difficult functionality. I don't know if any product in the market provides such functionality."

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is to be able to get reports or information about the state of all firewalls.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not in the cloud environment like some of the other products. There could be a possibility of extending its functionality to the cloud environment.

If possible, they could have a deal with or integrate with other firewall manufacturers, like Palo Alto and Cisco, and mix the information. It is a difficult functionality. I don't know if any product in the market provides such functionality.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for around one year.

It is very stable.

It is scalable up to the maximum requirement of our customers. Our customers don't require a lot of firewalls, such as 100 or 1,000.

We have contacted their technical support, and there was no problem. In general, we can directly communicate with their technical support and technicians.

I have used products from Palo Alto and Cisco.

The initial setup is not complex. The configuration of Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is easy for basic information. The configuration can be complex if you want to do a lot of reporting.

It is not very expensive when customers understand the value of this product and the importance of the information that it provides for security.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We have some customers who use this product, and I help them with the configuration of the basic features.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is useful for seeing the problems of the network and analyzing what is happening in your network. If you have an attack or some security problem, you can immediately see the information in the logs.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Log Management
Download our free Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.