SG
IT Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to set up and simple to use but could have a better reporting module

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The pricing could be better. They could work to make it more competitive on the market."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for logging collection.

What is most valuable?

It's a simple log collection tool. There isn't too much that's special or unique about it.

It meets our expectations for the most part.

The solution does offer very useful integration capabilities.

The interface is fine.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The report module could be simplified a bit to make it easier to use.

Technical support has been very bad. They should work to improve their level of service.

I've been dealing with the solution for about seven years at this point. It's been a while. I have a lot of experience with it.

The solution is stable and there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is good.

The scalability might be limited depending on the installation.

We haven't been happy with technical support. We find the service to be quite bad. For example, in our last experience dealing with them, we had multiple issues and the outcomes were not great. We were disappointed with the help we received.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's straightforward enough. A company shouldn't have any issues with the setup.

The pricing isn't the least expensive on the market. They could work to improve it to make it more interesting for other companies. Adjusting pricing might be a good move.

I've personally looked into other security solutions, just to understand the market for myself. I've personally compared Fortinet, Meraki, Check Point, and Cisco ASA Firewall in terms of their safety and security capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

We're Fortinet partners. We have a business relationship with the company.

I'd give the solution a rating of six out of ten.

I'd still recommend it to other users, however. If the reporting, interface, and tech support were a bit better, I'd rate it higher.

BK
Assistant Manager - Cloud Planning and Development at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very good log analysis and reporting with a straightforward deployment

• "The log analysis and reporting are both quite good."
  • "The solution lacks business intelligence features. It's much too basic."

What is our primary use case?

We're a service provider. Our clients use the solution for log management.

We are using physical and virtual end ware. We have a physical and logical virtual environment for using this platform, which we provide to our customers.

What is most valuable?

We are utilizing the previous site end dividers and the IPS, IDS DDoS features.

The log analysis and reporting are both quite good.

What needs improvement?

The solution doesn't have online analysis. We can't analyze certain parts of the logs. For example, we can't analyze current logs.

It would be helpful if we could use the system we use to monitor everything to also check the live traffic or live logs.

The solution lacks business intelligence features. It's much too basic.

I've been using the solution for two or three years.

The solution is stable. We've never faced issues.

The solution does not scale easily. It's a hardware solution. We have FortiAnalyzer hardware, and since it has a hardware agent on the storage ware, it requires Forti capacity for analyzing purposes. There's only a finite amount of space in the hardware itself. It isn't infinite.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and we've been very satisfied at the level of support we've received so far.

The initial setup varies from company to company. Some are straightforward, some are complex.

Deployment is a simple task. FortiAnalyzer comes with the hardware version and a virtual agent. We just deploy and integrate it with the other Fortinet products.

There is a lot of competition for Fortinet in this area, including USM and Palo Alto.

What other advice do I have?

We are Fortinet partners.

For those organizations that need to use a product for reporting or some analysis of logs, this is a good solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. The features are basic, and there's not too much business intelligence behind them. If it offered more of that, I'd rate it higher.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAnalyzer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AC
Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly interface with a quick response and good analytics

• "FortiAnalyzer has a user-friendly interface with a quick response and good analytics. It's very secure because it's taking the log from the devices on a secure channel, so there is no problem with that in your network."
  • "The cost of FortiAnalyzer could be cheaper, especially when you are installing to a VM. For 90 percent of customers, the VM solution is enough."

What is our primary use case?

For most of our customers, we are installing FortiAnalyzer as a VM-based solution. We installed a big analyzer for just one customer because they needed too much storage capacity. We have about 10 clients using it currently.

How has it helped my organization?

We prepare reports for our customers, and when the manager sees them, he's pleased. They show how many users connected, how many attacks happened, and the number of attacks stopped. The management of the IP depends on your report, so the customers need it. We are customizing these reports every day or every week, depending on what the customers need. We send emails with these reports, and the managers are also pleased about it. Also, technical guys are thrilled because they can solve problems very quickly. It's working on the SQL Server, so techs can do a quick search in real-time and see everything in the port analyzer's interface query.

What is most valuable?

FortiAnalyzer has a user-friendly interface with a quick response and good analytics. It's very secure because it's taking the log from the devices on a secure channel, so there is no problem with that in your network. Because you're getting the information from a secure channel, it's also possible to back it up in a storage solution.

We have been installing FortiAnalyzer bundled with other products for about six or seven years.

Setting up FortiAnalyzer is very straightforward. It takes just 30 minutes or less. With our installation, we sent our FortiGates log, email logs, and other logs for the three devices we're currently running to the analyzers we are using within the public architecture.

The license depends on the storage capacity. If you want to take a log of up to 1 gigabyte daily, it's free, if I remember correctly. But if you want 5 gigabytes daily, it's licensed at different prices. The cost of FortiAnalyzer could be cheaper, especially when you are installing to a VM. For 90 percent of customers, the VM solution is enough.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FortiAnalyzer 10 out of 10

PK
Jr. Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable and scalable with robust security and performance

• "Its robust security and performance are the two main features. We also use the log reporting feature."
  • "We should be able to do the patch upgrades in a centralized manner. This functionality is currently not there. It would be good to be able to do the firmware updates from one place and at the same time. Currently, if we want to update all appliances, we require FortiManager, which is another solution from Fortinet. Its documentation can be improved. It will be helpful for implementing the product and gaining knowledge for management purposes."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use it for security. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its robust security and performance are the two main features. We also use the log reporting feature.

What needs improvement?

We should be able to do the patch upgrades in a centralized manner. This functionality is currently not there. It would be good to be able to do the firmware updates from one place and at the same time. Currently, if we want to update all appliances, we require FortiManager, which is another solution from Fortinet.

Its documentation can be improved. It will be helpful for implementing the product and gaining knowledge for management purposes.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for three years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. This solution is being used for a government department with a lot of users.

Their technical support is good. We don't have any issues with their support.

In my earlier organization, I have used solutions from CheckPoint and Palo Alto. These are good products, but they are expensive as compared to Fortinet.

The initial setup is very easy.

We got help from Fortinet engineers. We have a tie-up with the Fortinet support team. They install it for us.

We have three people for its deployment and maintenance. We have two network engineers and one technical support engineer.

Its price is okay for us. Fortinet products are cheaper than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it also depends on the organization. We are using this solution, and we are getting good results.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a ten out of ten. It is the best.

Rafael Riera
Pre-sales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A stable solution that provides information about the state of all firewalls

• "The most important feature is to be able to get reports or information about the state of all firewalls."
  • "Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not in the cloud environment like some of the other products. There could be a possibility of extending its functionality to the cloud environment. If possible, they could have a deal with or integrate with other firewall manufacturers, like Palo Alto and Cisco, and mix the information. It is a difficult functionality. I don't know if any product in the market provides such functionality."

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is to be able to get reports or information about the state of all firewalls.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not in the cloud environment like some of the other products. There could be a possibility of extending its functionality to the cloud environment.

If possible, they could have a deal with or integrate with other firewall manufacturers, like Palo Alto and Cisco, and mix the information. It is a difficult functionality. I don't know if any product in the market provides such functionality.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for around one year.

It is very stable.

It is scalable up to the maximum requirement of our customers. Our customers don't require a lot of firewalls, such as 100 or 1,000.

We have contacted their technical support, and there was no problem. In general, we can directly communicate with their technical support and technicians.

I have used products from Palo Alto and Cisco.

The initial setup is not complex. The configuration of Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is easy for basic information. The configuration can be complex if you want to do a lot of reporting.

It is not very expensive when customers understand the value of this product and the importance of the information that it provides for security.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. We have some customers who use this product, and I help them with the configuration of the basic features.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is useful for seeing the problems of the network and analyzing what is happening in your network. If you have an attack or some security problem, you can immediately see the information in the logs.

I would rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer an eight out of ten.

AlesCiber
ICT System Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Log management that is scalable, easy to use, and priced well

• "The interface is simple and easy to navigate."
  • "One of the main disadvantages is not having a direct link to the security policy when you see something in the log."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer to manage services for our customers. We use it for log management.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is easy. For customers with basic knowledge, and for those who do not have a technical background, Fortinet is quite good and it should be the first choice.

The interface is simple and easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

One of the main disadvantages is not having a direct link to the security policy when you see something in the log. You should be able to right-click and go directly to the security policy. When you compare with Checkpoint, they are very good with reporting and logging, and when you right-click on the log you can go to the policy and edit it.

In the next release, I would like to have a feature added where you can right-click and it takes you directly to the policy to edit it.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for four years.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is stable.

This is solution is very scalable.

I don't have any issues with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. Everything with Fortinet is straightforward.

When comparing with other solutions such as Checkpoint and Cisco, Fortinet is priced well.

What other advice do I have?

I am an expert in Juniper and Fortinet at a professional level.

Previously in another company, we were service providers, and I did the implementation for service delivery cargo, and for an enterprise company, I did the firewall migration.

I would recommend Fortinet FortiAnalyzer.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ashok Lamsal
Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Overall features useful, reliable, but need more integration

• "Overall we are satisfied with all the features the solution provides."
  • "There are a lot of solutions on the market and Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is limited. It cannot be used across multiple vendors. They can improve by advancing their technology."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for analyzing network traffic and it provides us with log analytics.

What is most valuable?

Overall we are satisfied with all the features the solution provides.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of solutions on the market and Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is limited. It cannot be used across multiple vendors. They can improve by advancing their technology.

The solution could improve by having better integration and support with Apple, Linux, and Microsoft solutions.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for approximately five years.

We have been making changes to the cloud signatures and categories because the market is changing and Fortinet FortiAnalyzer has been stable and reliable.

The solution is scalable but there are additional costs if you want to increase the scalability.

We have been satisfied with the support.

The installation was not difficult.

We did the implementation ourselves.

In the local market sometimes people are being charged more than other solutions. Although the market is competitive, legitimate suppliers do not receive a large enough discount to pass onto the customers.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is not suitable for everyone, it is best suited for mid-sized businesses but if the price could be reduced there would be more customers in all-sized businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a seven out of ten.

YM
IT Network, Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Beneficial trigger actions(on Event Handler feature), easy to install, and scalable

• "Based on the logs of Fortinet FortiAnalyzer you can have it trigger actions. For example, if the log has a word or a sentence you specified it can send an alert or Syslog to an email address."
  • "Fortinet FortiAnalyzer cannot receive any queries. They should add this feature in the future to help manage solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I use Fortinet FortiAnalyzer to analyze network logs for increased security protection.

How has it helped my organization?

We can see and know our network traffic graphically.

What is most valuable?

Based on the logs of Fortinet FortiAnalyzer you can have it trigger actions. For example, if the log has a word or a sentence you specified it can send an alert to an email address or SNMP trap.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer cannot use as SNMP Manager so cannnot receive any queries of SNMP. They should add this feature in the future to help manage solutions.

I have been using Fortinet FortiAnalyzer for approximately eight years.

I have found the solution to be stable. However, when the computer's resources are low the analysis becomes slow. There could be some optimization done.

Fortinet FortiAnalyzer is scalable. It can handle small to large-scale analysis.

The initial installation is easy. You set up the interface IP address and then you can have access. If you use the web GUI, it's very easy to connect to FortiGate and other Fortinet solutions.

What other advice do I have?

If a company purchases FortiGate they should purchase Fortinet FortiAnalyzer together. The reason is FortiGate does not have an interface for analyzing logs but if you have the Fortinet FortiAnalyzer it can analyze logs and give reports on the logs giving you more protection.

I rate Fortinet FortiAnalyzer a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Log Management
Download our free Fortinet FortiAnalyzer Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.