Fortinet FortiAuthenticator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Authentication Systems. It is most often compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine): Fortinet FortiAuthenticator vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine)

What is Fortinet FortiAuthenticator?

FortiAuthenticator user identity management appliances strengthen enterprise security by simplifying and centralizing the management and storage of user identity information.

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is also known as FortiAuthenticator.

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiAuthenticator pricing:
  • "FAC is an affordable solution for Middle Range (200E/400E) and also needs a package of mobility agents (2,000) perpetual."
  • "The product could be more competitively priced."
  • "It costs more to license the high-availability option."
  • "You can pay as you go with them. You purchase a base license and add to it as needed."
  • "The licensing structure is cost-effective for us compared to some of the other solutions that have recurring monthly costs."

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Reviews

Ayokunmi Ogundapo
Systems Administrator at Interswitch
Easy to deploy with intuitive interface; integration with certain enterprise applications lacking

• "Intuitive interface and easy to deploy."
  • "Integration with some other enterprise applications could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for two-factor authentication of most of our services. It includes VPN but also many other services that we have on our internet servers. We use the on-premise version because we also want it integrated into our in-house applications. We are customers of Fortinet and I'm a systems administrator.

How has it helped my organization?

Security is such a big issue these days, a password alone is no longer enough for securing identity. In that sense, providing a second layer of authentication for users gives the company some level of comfort.

What is most valuable?

I think the ease of deployment is a valuable feature. I like that the interface is intuitive and that natively and easily, it integrates with radios, ILDAP, fan mail, and with any applications supporting those protocols

What needs improvement?

I'd say that the integration with some other enterprise applications could be improved. For instance, ADFS. FortiAuthenticator does not work natively with ADFS and the company is not looking in that direction. It's one of our in-house applications and it was a challenge integrating with FortiAuthenticator. We had to write a separate, customized adapter for ADFS before we could make it work. We tried to get Fortinet to work on it but I don't think their development team is interested. It's not in their plan. The other challenge was when I integrated with I think VMware - there was an issue between the radio adapter and FortiAuthenticator. Both parties were not ready to work together and the implementation was buggy.

I believe this solution can be adapted to so many things, depending on the technical side and the implementation engineers. I'd like to see some additional use cases that can be infused into the solution, such as ADFS.

I've been using this solution for two years.

I haven't had any issues with stability.

It's a very scalable solution. They now have the option of deployment as a VM, and then they have the hardware. I believe we use the 1000D for the hardware - it's able to support up to 10,000 users. You license the appliance based on the number of users and if you need to add more, you buy additional licenses. Almost everybody in the company uses it and I'd say we've had a total of around 4,000 users.

The technical support is mid-range It's not your wow kind of support but they do have levels of support. The support is in connectivity with their clients and it has to be renewed every year. You might do better if you go through their partners or something similar. They're not really there when it comes to support.

We used RSA SecurID before Fortinet. We switched because of the high costs associated with RSA. I believe that with RSA you need to pay a token license every three years but with Fortinet, once you buy it, you own it. Even if a token is lost, you can always reposition the token and that will not come at any extra cost. It's cost-effective for us. We also have several channels we can use for authentication with FortiAuthenticator. With RSA, users are stuck with either carrying the dongle, the hardware token, or maybe having the mobile application token on their phone. With Fortinet you can decide whether to use a hardware token, soft token, email token, push notification, or SMS. It gives us flexibility and comfort.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward. We were up and running within three days. I carried out the deployment.

The license is a one-off payment.

What other advice do I have?

Every environment is obviously different so each user needs to know what they are looking for, and make a decision based on that. This is a cost effective and flexible solution. If a company is looking to use it on their server, it's important to look at the integration channels and your environment, the support. It's important to know that the channels are supported.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Ibrahim Massad
Senior Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Affordable solution with a friendly UI

• "The initial setup is a valuable point on Fortinet products. Most of the time, putting the theory into practice on the devices is quite friendly and straightforward. As long as you can read English you can find your way around the solution and make it work. This is a high value point on Fortinet - the way everything is laid out in the web UI is user-friendly and quite straightforward. The UI is quite simple."
  • "We would like to see Linux-based operating systems be able to integrate with FortiAuthenticator to get two-factor authentication running on them. as well. This is a shortcoming that I have faced a few times already."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is being used in our clients' companies. These companies are medium to enterprise level.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is the fact that you can utilize your tokens across the whole Fortinet fabric once you have the FortiAuthenticator. You can use FortiAuthenticator to provide two-factor authentication among all your network devices as long as they support the RADIUS protocol. Even for servers, especially Windows OS-based servers.

If you have any products that support RADIUS, you will be able to use the two-factor authentication. You can integrate them with the FortiAuthenticator and you can make use of the 2FA token among all our network devices, not just the Fortinet ones.

What needs improvement?

So far there hasn't been any major feature that we wished for and didn't find, but I would say in regards to bugs, sometimes we face unexpected issues that delay the implementation a little. However, I believe Fortinet will sort this out soon. Hopefully the solution will be more stable overall.

In terms of what additional features we would like to see in the next release, we would to see support for more of the common operating systems. They already support Windows OS, with the use of an agent installed on the windows machine.

However, we would like to see support for Linux-based operating systems for example. This is a shortcoming that I have faced a few times already.
Also a nice addition would be agents for End-user Machines especially Windows OS & MAC OS.

We've done quite few deployments of Fortinet FortiAuthenticator over the last one and a half years.

Some bugs that we find we can work around, but usually we open the ticket with Fortinet anyway. This is because sometimes we suspect that we do not have the proper understanding or maybe there is something that we need to get an insight on from the technical support because they have their big databases and can provide us with additional valuable information about our cases. Sometimes we may find a workaround, but if we don't know what happened and why, we open a case anyway to get the full details.

Fortinet support is quite good. Their engineers are experienced and well-trained. Generally speaking, we feel that the technical support is capable and know what they're doing. You don't feel that you're speaking to someone who doesn't understand what the product is, which we face sometimes with other vendors. I would say, generally speaking, we are happy with it.

The initial setup is a valuable point on Fortinet products. Most of the time, putting the theory into practice on the devices is quite friendly and straightforward. As long as you can read through the menus, you can find your way around the solution and make it work. A 10 minute surf through the tabs will give you an idea of what you can do and how to do it. Documentations and guides are also available when needed.

This is a high value point on Fortinet - the way everything is laid out in the web UI is user-friendly and quite straightforward.

Generally speaking, Fortinet prices are competitive enough. It depends on the markets, but in our market, the price sensitiveness is high, especially now with the current economic situation after the COVID-19. This became something to take into consideration even more. Price is always important, but after such a situation, it's even more so. Customers became even more sensitive to the prices. So, price is another value point for Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

If two-factor authentication is needed also for the end-devices, for example a endpoints or servers, I think FortiAuthenticator is not yet the most mature solution. However, if it is great for network devices, then this product is competitive enough price-wise and easy to use. It just works.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would say Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is an 8.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiAuthenticator. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WahidAlarasi
Solutions Architect at Exclusive GRP
Reseller
Enables us to have multifactor authentication using two-factor authentication

• "For someone concerned with multifactor authentication, I'm satisfied with the product."
  • "No SMS gateway from the ISP"

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and my company works purely for Fortinet, implementing all versions on a daily basis, so we're not end-users. The company is an exclusive distributor implementing the product.

The primary use case of the product is usually for multifactor authentication using two-factor authentication with tokens. Sometimes people require two factors with a token. Sometimes they need the latest POC. I do a proof of concept for windows login. They need the agent who authenticates with SMS, token or email.

What is most valuable?

Usually, I do an integration with the firewall. I would prefer to do it with FortiGate, but sometimes I need to integrate as a radius client and it depends on which firewall. I prefer FortiGate. Sometimes they'll need to add an SMS as the second factor of the two-factor authentication. But usually, we do it as an unarmed radius FortiGate, or firewall would be for a radius client and radius server. Sometimes clients will ask whether we have integration with a social portal like Facebook, but we don't.

What needs improvement?

There aren't any major features that I think should be improved. I like this product. As a multifactor authentication, we have the SAML function. If you compare it with RSA or Gemalto, it does a good job. I'm able to perform multifactor authentication in different ways via emails, SMS, it's a great product. For someone concerned with multifactor authentication, I'm satisfied with the product.

There aren't any major additional features they could include in the next release but the one thing they used to include was the SMS gateway from the ISP. Fortinet used to sell that but they don't anymore and I think it would be helpful for end-users if they brought it back. I would recommend that. People are asking for it because they don't like having to rent it from their mobile provider.

I've been using FortiAuthenticator for about a year.

The product is very stable. I love it.

I think it's a scalable product. I haven't compared it to the competitors but it's scalable.

Part of the reason it's such a good product is that I don't recall ever needing to call for technical support.

Initial setup and configuration are very straightforward. From a technical perspective, you need to know where to do the PDS but if you have a technical background it should be very straightforward. I just bring the VM or the trial license and I start to do the POC, usually with the VM.

Initial setup and deployment sometimes need integration with FortiGate, and sometimes via the captive portal. It takes a maximum of an hour, but it also depends on the end-user and what they need to be integrated into the system, like features such as SMS gateway parameters.

I think the setup cost is reasonable, and we don't need to renew the license. Sometimes there are extra costs for the VM. Our main competitors are RSA and Gemalto, and the Fortinet prices are very competitive relative to their prices.

What other advice do I have?

As a distributor of Fortinet, I would suggest people give this product a little bit of focus. I mean we can do well on this product if we concentrate on it. People don't know about the two-factor authentication and that it's easy and straightforward. We also include some features for free but I suggest that people using Fortinet just focus on this product. FortiAuthenticator has created a straightforward easy-to-use product.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because nothing is perfect.

Ernesto Chang
Presales Engineer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Strengthens security, flexible two-factor authentication options, and integrates well with other solutions

• "It reduces the need for network administrator intervention by allowing the user to perform their own registration and resolve their own password problems and issues."
  • "I would like to see integration and customization capabilities with the end-user portal to solve authentication issues with diverse implementation scenarios."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Fortinet FortiAuthenticator to centralize the management of user identity information in Security Architectures, enforce Role-Based authentication, and allow Two Factor authentication with Softclient support.

This is a must-have technology in Fortinet implementations with several gateways and distributed environments.

It is easy to set up and will reduce Network administrators' efforts to integrate diverse identification methods. Must evaluate Single Sing On Mobility Agents to full integration of users position on the network and complete the solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product strengthens enterprise security. It offers role-based security policies and User Identity Management with different methods.

This product provides automatization. There is a self-service user portal for registry and support for domain and non-domain guest users, with diverse channels vía hardware tokens, software tokens, e-mail, and SMS.

This solution brings user satisfaction. It reduces the need for network administrator intervention by allowing the user to perform their own registration and resolve their own password problems and issues.

What is most valuable?

Key Features and Benefits

1. Two-factor/OTP Authentication with FortiToken: Enforce user-based policies. Fortitoken is available in soft and hard versions for flexible usage.  Most Valuable in Mobile Phones App for OTP.
  2. Integration with LDAP and AD: This solution integrates with existing enterprise systems and technologies from diverse vendors of user information management systems.
  3. LPAD/AD/RADIUS/SYSLOG/KERBEROS/REST API/FSSO and Web Portals: There is flexible integration with these services.
  4. It is usable in network WAN, wireless, and VPN Scenarios.
  5. The domain and guest-users support are good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration and customization capabilities with the end-user portal to solve authentication issues with diverse implementation scenarios. Specifically, with web applications, enterprise networks, and VPN.

We have been using Fortinet FortiAuthenticator for three years.

This is a stable, set-and-forget product. Logical operations run in the Gateways.

FAC 200E/400E will support environments for hundreds of users, based on Physical Appliances. If future needs are in the scope then I suggest implementing virtual deployments.

Technical support is not needed in any sense. We have three years running without hardware appliance incidents or major issues.

This is the first authentication platform that I have worked with.

The initial setup process will vary from simple to complex and depends on your existing User Identity Systems, integrations, and scale of the network

In-house engineers, properly trained, are responsible for deployment and maintenance.

Our ROI was reached in less than a year. This solution is good in terms of financial returns.

There is nothing to buy in the gateways (FG) and it is fully integrated.

As a Fortinet customer, the logical evaluation was FAC from the same vendor.

What other advice do I have?

This is a must-have technology in Fortinet deployments with distributed environments.

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We implement and support Fortinet Technologies as MSSP.
SS
Information Technology Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good security and easy to use with good technical support

• "The ease of use is really nice. Using Authenticator, I've been able to actually work better on my authentication due to the fact that I have a single fabric to authenticate control from my firewall and on my access points. Authentication takes place from this area."
  • "The solution could be more automated. It should be able to let me automate a lot of things so that what normally is done as a matter of manual processes can be handled quicker. Slow integrations can be taken up/out if there was more automation."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the security. It's great.

The ease of use is really nice. Using Authenticator, I've been able to actually work better on my authentication due to the fact that I have a single fabric to authenticate control from my firewall and on my access points. Authentication takes place from this area.

It's easy to use for us due to the fact that, for each and every user, even a Mac user, we're able to easily retrieve them and add them. The authenticator syncs to my system and brings all the users to me under my firewall.

What needs improvement?

For us, the solution works quite well. I can't think of an area where improvements are needed. I haven't worked with it too extensively yet, so it's hard to gauge what's lacking.

The solution could be more automated. It should be able to let me automate a lot of things so that what normally is done as a matter of manual processes can be handled quicker. Slow integrations can be taken up/out if there was more automation.

I've only worked with the solution for five or six months at this point. I haven't worked with it extensively, although I do have an understanding of how it works and what to do, as well as how to configure it.

It's a stable product that integrates well with other products (such as FortiNAC). It's reliable. It doesn't give us any problems. We don't have to worry about bugs or glitches of the system crashing.

The solution is scalable. While we have plans to grow it out and integrate it a bit more with other solutions, we're not at that stage yet.

We are a company of about 200 people. The whole organization uses it at this point. All authentication happens through FortiAuthenticator.

I'm really happy with the technical support. They are responsive and knowledgable.

Before using FortiAuthenticator we were not using anything else. We just were controlling everything from our Fortinet firewall. That was the only equipment which we had at that point in time. Now, we have got FortiAuthenticator.

Going forward we might go for FortiNAC. That might be in the cards for us. However, we're not immediately going to make the switch as it offers access control.

The initial setup wasn't a problem at all. It was handled by certified Fortinet engineers. For that reason, it wasn't complex or difficult.

We had certified Fortinet engineers assist us with the initial implementation. They handled the setup and configurations as well.

What other advice do I have?

We're just end users. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

We're using the latest version of the solution. It might be something around version six.

I would recommend FortiAuthenticator to other organizations.

It is really a good product. Somebody looking for a good security product should go with FortiGate products. New users should explore all the features and see how they can maximize usage.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AD
Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
On-premises deployment and excellent log details make this product valuable

• "The logs have great detail that make it easier to evaluate and control the security environment."
  • "It can not use SQL to query FortiAnalyzer directly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Fortinet FortiAuthenticator is, first of all, as a two-factor VPN for enhanced access security. We use this product to provide secure access for all of our employees.

Our other use cases have to do with using FortiAuthenticator for other security projects which includes things like access to some important web applications.

What is most valuable?

One of the things I find most valuable in FortiAuthenticator is the detail in the logs. The log features are very good and the detail makes it easier to control what happens in the environment.

Another valuable feature is that it is an on-premise solution. Because of some regulations, we can not use this particular type of product for security on cloud. We chose FortiAuthenticator because it is an on-premise solution.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that really stands out as something that needs desperately to be added or improved. We are using Fortinet all the time, we know their GUIs, so we can manage well with FortiAuthenticator also.

The main problem now is not exactly with the product itself. We are using FortiAnalyzers. But when we use that product with FortiAuthenicators, we can not use SQL language to access data from the FortiAnalyzers database. When we use it with FortiGate, we can query the FortiAnalyzers database, but it is not possible to do it directly with the FortiAuthenicators. This integration should be better.

We have not really faced any problems with stability up until this point. The product has not given us any reason to question the stability.

We have not needed to use the Fortinet technical support up until now. I do not know about it firsthand. The product is very easy-to-use and someone can easily manage working with it, so we do not need any support. We do have the support contract, but we have not used it at all.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It is actually very easy.

I think FortiAuthenticator is more expensive than other products like Cisco Duo. It could be more competitively priced.

We want to use high-availability in our products, so we need to get a higher grade and more expensive license for that purpose.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Authenticator as about a seven-point-five. If it has to be seven or eight, I would choose eight.

I have not used many products in that category with our site, but we can do what we want and need to do with that product.

DD
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Helps with SSL two-factor authentication but the graphical interface is outdated

• "We use this product for SSL two-factor authentication and FortiToken management."
  • "It does the job I paid for, but the graphical interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

It does the job I paid for, but the graphical interface could be improved. If we take FortiGate or Fortinet, the graphical user interface is better designed. I think they can work on this.

It would be good to remove the FortiAuthenticator or to combine FortiAuthenticator and Fortinet. That would provide a single platform that can manage network access and user management. It doesn't make sense for me to sell FortiAuthenticator to a customer and then sell them Fortinet as well. I think they should just combine them into one solution.

We've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable. I installed it two years ago, but we rarely check the internet for changes. It's really stable. We don't have problems.

I think it's scalable. There are two kinds of appliances: virtual and physical. If you do a good sizing, the physical one can remain with the customer for a long time. The virtual one can be increased as you need. You can pay as you go with them. You purchase a base license and add to it as needed.

I have done an installation at an operator with over 200 users. That is the biggest one I've done.

I don't usually have problems with this solution so I rarely test the support features. I cannot evaluate the support team.

It was straightforward to implement and took one day to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten. I know there are other solutions that have a more modern graphical interface and provide better user management functionality. We need to tell the customer to get two solutions instead of doing the job with just one. I think I could give eight or nine to another solution, but FortiAuthenticator should be a seven.

DN
IT Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good support, integrates well with Fortinet products, and the licensing is cost-effective

• "FortiAuthenticator is really good software that integrates very well with Fortinet products."
  • "I would like to see more ways to authenticate, such as adding facial recognition to the two-factor, where you log into your phone or another device."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is two-factor authentication, and we use it for a handful of our clients.

What is most valuable?

The licensing structure is cost-effective for us compared to some of the other solutions that have recurring monthly costs. We like that it has more one-time costs than the monthly recurring cost per user.

What needs improvement?

Although two-factor authentication has come a long way, there are a lot of companies that are going further. The reason for this is because people are finding ways to compromise traditional, web-based solutions. I would like to see more ways to authenticate, such as adding facial recognition to the two-factor, where you log into your phone or another device. That would be great.

I have had stability issues with FortiAuthenticator.

As long as you purchase the right amount of licensing, it's scalable.

Generally, the technical support is very good. I know some people that work for Fortinet and we haven't had any issues with getting to the right resources when needed.

We have always used Fortinet products.

The initial setup is fairly simple because there's product training available for all of the tools from Fortinet. Our team is fully versed in those products, so it wasn't very difficult.

The licensing fee is less in the long term because it's not a recurring cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that for any solution you want to deploy, you have to ensure that your team is trained so that you can support it. Before FortiAuthenticator goes into play, make sure that your team is trained.

Overall, we are pretty satisfied with FortiAuthenticator.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiAuthenticator Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.