Fortinet FortiClient Overview

Fortinet FortiClient is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiEDR: Fortinet FortiClient vs Fortinet FortiEDR

What is Fortinet FortiClient?

Securing your endpoints against sophisticated threats on a myriad of devices can be very challenging:

• Managing separate endpoint features is complex and time-consuming.
  • Disparate security products don't share intelligence, resulting in slow threat response.
  • Lack of InfoSec expertise to effectively administer endpoint security can let threats slip through your defenses.

Fortinet FortiClient is also known as FortiClient.

Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Fortinet FortiClient Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiClient Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiClient pricing:
  • "The pricing is good because you get and end-to-end security solution in one package price."
  • "We are using the free version of this product."
  • "An annual license costs about 1.5 to 3,000 US dollars. There are no additional costs."
  • "The price is reasonable compared to competitors, it is very good."
  • "The cost per port is very less as compared to the other technologies."
  • "Generally, Fortinet is not cheap. The features that are available for free are only for FortiClient VPN clients, not other solutions. It includes web security, antivirus, and one more feature."

Senior Network & Security Solution Architect Consultant at Corenet Inc
Provides good endpoint security at low price

What is our primary use case?

I am a senior Network and Security Solution architect and having certifications, like JNCIE-SP, JNCIP-Sec, JNCDA, Fortinet certified, Sophos Certified Engineer, and certified in ethical hacking v10. with hands-on experience of Tele 3G, 4G, Metro Ethernet, IGW, and large Data Center Design. my primary focus is to recommend cost-effective solutions, to save End customer CAPEX & OPEX.

• "It is a feature-rich product that is easy to use and install without sacrificing security."
  • "Technical support needs to determine priority level based on the cases rather than the support package bundle."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to Fortinet is that they should make a change to FortiClient pricing. They should have a renewal price that is lower than the new purchase price. They should include the price bundle as a renewal price, like say you were purchasing UTM (Unified Threat Management) next year for support. They should include a renewal process in their pricing scheme, and not just treat all purchasing as a new contract. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate FortiClient as an eight-out-of-ten.
Senior Manager at PARTEX STAR GROUP
Secure VPN access for remote network users that is free but takes to long to install

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for FortiClient is just for its capability to securely connect VPN users from outside our environment during the lockdown. It has strong authentication. We use it for a VPN client for our network users. They just connect to our network in order to get access to our enterprise environment and for the EFT (Electronic File Transfer) system.

• "It supports securely connections for VPN users from outside our environment during the lockdown."
  • "It seems to be more scalable than we thought."
  • "The technical support from Fortinet and local vendors is good."
  • "It takes too long to install."
  • "The user interface could be more inviting."

What other advice do I have?

I can definitely encourage other people to use the FortiClient VPN. FortiClient is a pretty great solution for the VPN. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I can rate FortiClient as a seven-out-of-ten from my experience with this product over the past six months.
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Engineer at BAZ
Enables me to spend less time managing my user's internet usage but the web filter needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VPN connections. We use this program for VPN connection and antivirus purposes. We use the program each and every day.

• "I think the solution is highly scalable."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the web filter, because I think it can be more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. My advice to others would be that they should standardize whatever they are running on their environment. If they are going for FortiClient, especially the 6.2 version, they need to standardize or upgrade their computer to standard specifications. I will also advise them to read the instructions so that they don't have any issues when they deploy FortiClient. They should plan accordingly before deploying FortiClient. Once they are sure about the policies they want to implement, they can proceed and deploy FortiClient. That would save them on deployment time…
JJ
Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Can be used to deploy security to endpoints and also control the endpoints

What is our primary use case?

There are two main use cases: the first is to deploy the security fabric environment from FortiGate to the endpoints so that there's only one policy in use. There's no need to deploy the policy in the firewall as well as the endpoint. So, if you deploy the policy in FortiGate, FortiClient can get that policy automatically. The second is to control the endpoint, that is, to control the antiviral software and antispyware in general.

• "Starting from FortiGate and from the EMS server, you have to begin at the endpoint, and that's the most useful thing about using FortiClient."
  • "The deployment status is not good in Mac devices and sometimes in Windows-based devices using GPO, like Active Directory, that are not on the local network."

What other advice do I have?

It's a little harder to deploy on Mac devices. When I installed FortiClient, it didn't even work at the beginning. The user experience in Mac to check the antivirus and antispyware protection is not good. In order to work with FortiClient very well, you need to deploy the VPNs through FortiGate. So those who would like to use Fortinet FortiClient would need to evaluate the bandwidth capacity and how they are going to use a feature that's called split tunneling. That's the main thing they have to consider in order to design their requirements for the person who is going to develop and implement…
MS
Lead Architect at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Priced well, good customer support, stability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We typically use the solution for remote access. We do not typically use any of the other features.

• "We find the VPN features valuable."
  • "There is lagging in some of the authentication tools to support the newer versions, this is happening because they are not supported."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise looking into the EMS feature we are considering it right now, it is worth investing into. In the free base solution for FortiClient, you do not get to customize your VPN solution in the with the client. The current versions that are available for FortiClient they are quite old. If you want to use the solution to its potential, get the Enterprise Management System (EMS). Additionally, purchase the customization of the FortiClient tool, it is also beneficial. I gave this solution a seven out of ten because I would say its stability needs serious improvements, but on the upside it…
EG
Senior Information Security Consultant at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
An advanced all-in-one solution with easy-to-use interface and analytics reporting

What is our primary use case?

There are multiple use cases for different customers.

• "It has a very easy-to-use interface. It has ease of management, and all the modules are there. SKUs are also easily identifiable. Whatever is required in the firewall is already there in it. It's very advanced, and analytics reporting is very good. They also have cloud reporting. You get all the services that are available for your device in the cloud. You just have to subscribe. It's very easy. There's a lot of demand for this solution because it's an all-in-one solution. The throughput is very high."
  • "The only thing that is lacking in this product is the support. Their support can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

If you want to know the product, or if you do not want to rely on the support, then you have to master the product. Basically, you should know in and out of the product, and you should have extensive knowledge about it. You'll get that knowledge only by working, provided you have the right tools to understand. I learned this tool by using it and going through the knowledge base. They have a knowledge base website, which has almost everything. You just need to apply a little bit of logic to understand what it is. I did not use technical support for help. We don't require anything extra because…
BK
IT Manager/systems engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good integration with Fortigate but needs the USB key blocking function

What is our primary use case?

Initially, we needed a VPN client, but afterward, we needed some other functionalities included in FortiClient. The primary use is that users have to connect it to the VPN, and the secondary use is for web security. We are using the latest version, which has become free to use recently. FortiClient released a version that includes web security and antivirus.

• "It is not at all interesting for me as a standalone product, but as a product that is integrated with FortiGate with all features, it is actually a great tool and a great experience. I had test installed FortiClient working from home. I remembered and knew which web categories were denied or allowed. All those policies were correctly reflected standalone, for example, on my laptop."
  • "For buying or deploying it with additional features, apart from VPN client, web security, or antivirus, I would like to see the USB key blocking function included in this solution for endpoint security. For endpoint security, you need antivirus and all of the features included in antivirus software these days, web security, and USB key locking feature. If it is implemented in a way that in one package, you have all the primary features needed for security these days, it would be nice. All of those features will probably be additionally charged as it is a web security feature on FortiClient."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it depends on the expectations of the users. There are so many solutions like Sophos and Palo Alto. We are looking for an extended solution to prevent unwanted problems with viruses on the internet. We would like to implement extended web security for other users, but we have a limited budget. We would like to implement FortiClient or Trend Micro USB key locket. We are expecting to get the price for Fortinet as well as Trend Micro endpoint security for about a hundred users. I would rate Fortinet FortiClient a seven out of ten.
SB
Director at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Free to use, user-friendly and offers good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the VPN as well as for end protection. Those are the only two use cases for us. We don't use it for anything else.

• "The VPN has proven to be quite useful."
  • "We'd like to be able to properly encrypt the data more effectively."

What other advice do I have?

We are Fortinet partners. I would recommend the solution to other users and companies. It's a very useful tool and I have enjoyed working with it. It meets our expectations. I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
See 16 more Fortinet FortiClient Reviews
Download our free Fortinet FortiClient Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.