NH
Director of Information Technology at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Competitive pricing, centralized console, and useful Fortinet fabric to secure and track the movement of data through our network

• "Having a centralized console is a valuable feature. The Fortinet fabric is also very valuable where all different pieces talk together to secure our network and track the North, South, East, and West movement of files and data through our network."
  • "Its stability can be improved. It is not as reliable as I would like it to be. There are times when things don't work quite right. Our biggest pain point is not related to Fortinet FortiClient and the whole scheme of things. It is related to one of the additional services called FortiGuard. They are the arm that does all of the updates to definitions, keeps all the signatures updated, and responds to new threats and whatnot. What we have found is that they react quickly, but sometimes their solutions aren't compatible with all of the components of the Fortinet security suite, specifically around FortiSandbox."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for securing all of our endpoints as they move behind our firewall and outside our firewall or in and out of our network. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Having a centralized console is a valuable feature. The Fortinet fabric is also very valuable where all different pieces talk together to secure our network and track the North, South, East, and West movement of files and data through our network.

What needs improvement?

Its stability can be improved. It is not as reliable as I would like it to be. There are times when things don't work quite right.

Our biggest pain point is not related to Fortinet FortiClient and the whole scheme of things. It is related to one of the additional services called FortiGuard. They are the arm that does all of the updates to definitions, keeps all the signatures updated, and responds to new threats and whatnot. What we have found is that they react quickly, but sometimes their solutions aren't compatible with all of the components of the Fortinet security suite, specifically around FortiSandbox.

I have been using this solution for about eight months.

It is not as reliable as I would like. Its reliability is around 95%. There are times when things don't work quite right.

We're a relatively small company, and we haven't expanded really large. We're in the 500 or less range, and it works fine for our environment. I don't know how scalable it is. We will continue to use it in the foreseeable future.

They have been responsive. Sometimes, it takes them a little while to understand what the issues are. Fortinet right now has a little bit of growing pain. They have acquired a lot of different technologies over the last 18 months, and it hasn't been an absolutely smooth integration between all of those different products, support infrastructures, and developers.

Its deployment was complex and drawn out. It took a long time.

Its pricing is good. One thing that has always attracted us to the Fortinet range of products is that their pricing is very competitive.

Our particular licensing is on a yearly basis. However, as part of this project, we did pre-purchase three years of maintenance and support at a fairly significant discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. They are developing more EDP as it comes out, and they are staying on track with their development side and current trends.

I would recommend others to talk to Fortinet Professional Services before using a local professional. What we found as part of our long implementation was that the local professionals generally have a very good grasp of one area but not in bringing the fabric together, where you have the EMS, Folder Manager, Sandbox, all the firewalls, and other things coming together. There may be some out there who are good at it, but we ran into a number that didn't have a grasp across the whole thing, and we ended up talking directly to Fortinet Professional Services.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient an eight out of ten.

GS
Sr. Manager at Emirates Technology Solutions
A stable and reliable solution for secure and easy access to our applications

• "Secure and easy connect is the most valuable feature. It is a reliable solution, and it works."
  • "In terms of improvements, their SSL VPN tunnel can be a lot better. I've seen other products that have got much better VPN features than Fortinet. Some of my colleagues get this error called "License not available." When they get this error, they have to uninstall and reinstall it. This kind of problem is there, and sometimes, we have to open a case with Fortinet to resolve it. Their support is quick, so we are able to resolve and move forward. In terms of new features, when it is connecting, it should check the endpoint and say whether the end client is actually safe enough or whether there is a vulnerability. It should give a pop-up on the client itself. Because I'm on the admin side, I can also see this information in the log. However, if a non-IT user, such as a user from finance, is working on this and there is some problem, he or she would not know about this and would call IT admin to say that this is not working. If the users get a message explaining why and what is happening, it is easy for them to understand."

What is our primary use case?

This is used by our employees when they need to access our bookkeeping applications, such as Tally, from outside. We also have a couple of managers for our clients, and to manage that infrastructure, I use FortiClient to connect to that firewall and manage the server storage and everything else for them.

We have most of our things on the cloud except a small unit, which is on-prem. Except for the financial bookkeeping, which we have on-prem, the rest is all on the cloud.

We are not using its latest version. We are using the previous version of the client.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, their SSL VPN tunnel can be a lot better. I've seen other products that have got much better VPN features than Fortinet.

Some of my colleagues get this error called "License not available." When they get this error, they have to uninstall and reinstall it. This kind of problem is there, and sometimes, we have to open a case with Fortinet to resolve it. Their support is quick, so we are able to resolve and move forward.

In terms of new features, when it is connecting, it should check the endpoint and say whether the end client is actually safe enough or whether there is a vulnerability. It should give a pop-up on the client itself. Because I'm on the admin side, I can also see this information in the log. However, if a non-IT user, such as a user from finance, is working on this and there is some problem, he or she would not know about this and would call IT admin to say that this is not working. If the users get a message explaining why and what is happening, it is easy for them to understand.

I have been using this solution since 2017.

It is stable and reliable.

I never had the need for scalability. I always size my requirements with a 30% buffer.

I have five users in my core office, and on the client-side, I have about ten users.

Their support is quick. They are responsive.

I am used to working with firewalls, so it is easy for me.

It is a yearly subscription license. I don't see a problem with the pricing. Resellers add their markup and then give it to us, but I don't see that as a major challenge. It is fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It works, and we are okay with it.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DD
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Comprehensive and easy to use

• "What I like most about FortiClient is that it's easy to use. The way it displays information is very straightforward."
  • "I don't think FortiClient is bad, but it's very buggy. We ran into some issues with the EMS, which amounted to more than 10 cases last year."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a system integrator. We're primarily a Cisco shop, but we've been diversifying in recent years.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about FortiClient is that it's easy to use. The way it displays information is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the ability to specify when EMS is controlling the client and when it's not because you would have a lot more options were it not for the client. As it stands, you need to edit the XML file on EMS to get those options.

I also think Fortinet could improve the VPN. It's good, but Cisco AnyConnect is a bit better. Fortinet could add split tunneling for the routes, like AnyConnect. Currently, you have to go into the command prompt and then print the route. So someone who's not that knowledgeable of the product will not know how to do it. Fortinet could maybe include some more next-gen AV stuff, but I think that's going to be integrated into the new packages we've got.

I've been using FortiClient for more than a year now.

I don't think FortiClient is bad, but it's very buggy. We ran into some issues with the EMS, which amounted to more than 10 cases last year. It would bug out while auto-upgrading on this specific version. So, that would be an obvious thing. And bug tracking is bad. FortiClient gives you an internal message that says the bug has been reported, but I cannot find it anywhere online.

Tech support is one of FortiClient's worst areas. Fortinet's firewall support was much faster and better, I would say. Support for FortiClient isn't bad per se, but it takes you a long time for your ticket to get answered and escalated to a higher level of support, like an actual engineer. Unfortunately, FortiClient's support is based on the West Coast of the United States, so that means that I'm going to get a ticket reply at maybe 4:00 a.m. and then have to wait another day.

Setting up Fortinet was quite easy. I would say it took around two hours.

FortiClient is much cheaper than endpoint protection systems made by Cisco and other companies. Pricing is especially important in Bosnia. We were deploying Cisco M, but not too many companies can afford that.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it eight out of 10 with the VPN. Without the VPN, I would maybe rate it a seven. One of the main selling points is that it integrates all that stuff together.

SH
Head Of Consulting at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to setup, good support, and the EMS is easy to use

• "From Forticlient, the EMS, the central management is easy to use."
  • "I would like to see endpoint detection and response included."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for antivirus, anti-malware, and endpoint protection.

What is most valuable?

From FortiClient, the EMS, the central management is easy to use.

The profiles that you can set up centrally as well, are good. We can have different profiles for the main control versus the database server versus an end-user device, which is a good feature.

The VPN all-in-one Endpoint Protection and VPN all-in-one client is a good feature as well.

I think it's pretty good overall, to be honest. In terms of what it does, I am really comfortable with ForitClient.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see endpoint detection and response included.

I have been working with FortiClient for approximately two years.

There are always a couple of bugs in EMS, but if you upgrade to the latest version, they normally fix them.

The EMS console can be a little buggy, but FortiClient is fine.

We contact technical support all of the time, and for other things as well, and they are very good.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took about one week to deploy.

I have a team of five engineers who work with us to maintain the solution.

The price point again is silver products and that is what I'm trying to work out. So I don't know if that's a bad or a good thing for Forticlient. I don't know where it's priced.

I don't know about the price.

I have not compared it against different products.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend FortiClient to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate FortiClient an eight out of ten. Nothing ever gets a ten. That would mean that it's perfect and there is no room for improvement. That is never the case with anything in life.

Hybrid Cloud
DY
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Supports two-factor authentication, easy to use, but VPN connection needs to be more secure

• "The Fortinet FortiClient is simple to use."
  • "I have yet to find the benefits of the latest upgraded version."

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiClient to connect to our network and to access our internal resources.

What is most valuable?

The Fortinet FortiClient is simple to use.

It is easy to install and it supports two-factor authentication.

It has good reporting. It's user-friendly and has good documentation.

What needs improvement?

We have been facing some issues when we use the web browser to log into the VPN gateway and we use the SSL VPN through the web page and have found that the browser is unstable.

It is difficult to get logs for the client on the firewall.

Technical support can be improved. While they respond quickly they don't resolve the issues quickly.

I have yet to find the benefits of the latest upgraded version.

I have been using Fortinet FortiClient for one or two years.

We are using the latest version.

I find it to be stable, but we want to enhance the VPN connection.

We have not tried to scale it yet.

We have contacted technical support, and they respond very quickly.

There times that they cannot address the issues that have and spend a lot of time trying to support us.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's quite easy to setup.

I don't have the licensing schema for the VPN solution because we just purchased the VPN gateway.

What other advice do I have?

We are evaluating solutions to enhance the protection for the endpoint that has been installed on laptops or PCs, for when they take the laptop or PC out of our office and connected it to the internet.

We want to find a comfortable solution for the ACL or EDR.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Sabuhi Ismayilov
Cyber Security Senior Specialist at MilliKart llc
Stable, scalable, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

We are using Fortinet FortiClient to allow our workers to connect remotely to work. This is mostly because of the lockdown or if they are on vacation.

What needs improvement?

FortiClient has not given us any ongoing problems. We did have a problem with uninstalling it, but we opened up a service request ticket to resolve it. The solution can improve by adding new remote console or endpoint features to make the solution easier to use. In a future release, the web client section could improve by adding more features, such as a firewall.

I have been using Fortinet FortiClient for approximately two months.

The solution is stable, we have not had any issues…

What needs improvement?

I have been using Fortinet FortiClient for approximately two months.

The solution is stable, we have not had any issues in the time we have been using it.

The scalability of Fortinet FortiClient has been good.

We have had some problems related to FortiClient and other products, which is related to Fortinet. We have owned other Fortinet solutions which have had a problem connecting with the switch. We have opened a service request ticket on their system, and it has been nearly one month and they are still looking for a solution.

The installation was easy, we did not face any major issues. We had one small issue related to the proxy settings because we did not have a direct connection to the internet. When we applied the license to the FortiClient, we needed to connect through EMS. However, because we do not have a direct connection to the internet, we needed a proxy, but later resolved it. We created a service request ticket and they said that there was no proxy feature, that is why we created a second adapter and it allowed us to have internet. If there were proxy settings on their EMS, it would have been beneficial.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiClient an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
David Yang
Senior Director, Technical Support and Product Development at Exclusive Networks
Non-disruptive with a great interface

• "Fortinet FortiClient is not disruptive, and its interface is great. It has an in-built VPN, which is very useful."
  • "There isn't much to improve in terms of features and comparison with other vendors. It just needs to stay more up to date in catching the malware. The user interface may be improved, which would be a minor enhancement. Unlike central management, in endpoint security, the end users don't need to keep looking at the endpoint user interface. The technology is the most important thing in endpoint security."

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiClient is not disruptive, and its interface is great. It has an in-built VPN, which is very useful.

What needs improvement?

There isn't much to improve in terms of features and comparison with other vendors. It just needs to stay more up to date in catching the malware.

The user interface may be improved, which would be a minor enhancement. Unlike central management, in endpoint security, the end users don't need to keep looking at the endpoint user interface. The technology is the most important thing in endpoint security.

I have been using this solution for over ten years.

Fortinet FortiClient is very good in terms of stability.

I don't find any problem at all. I can have one user or ten users. Scalability pretty much remains the same.

I never had to call their support.

I used to use Trend Micro, and it is pretty good. I have also used McAfee and a few different ones. McAfee is probably the worst in my opinion. It is very disruptive.

Both Trend Micro and Fortinet FortiClient are non-disruptive. They are pretty much like Microsoft Essential. Once you set them up, you never bother with the user interface. The interface stays in the background and does not interrupt the daily work.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet has acquired a company called enSilo, which is into EDR. As a result, Fortinet basically has EPP as well as EDR. Generally, a lot of EPPs cannot coexist, but Fortinet EPP and EDR can coexist, so that's a plus.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient a nine out of ten. It's very popular and easy to use. That's why I have stayed with Fortinet FortiClient for ten years.

OFIS-TECHNOLOGIES Njanjouo
Security Engineer at OFIS TECHNOLOGIES
A stable and inexpensively scalable solution which is easy to install

• "The solution has inexpensive scalability, works very well and can communicate with other Fortinet devices."
  • "While I cannot think of new features to add, it would be nice if the reports were improved, to have these sent automatically."

What is most valuable?

The solution is good. I like it very much. It has inexpensive scalability, works very well and can communicate with other Fortinet devices.

What needs improvement?

I currently use Fortinet FortiClient on my computer and have been doing so for around three months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable. It is inexpensive and works very well.

Based on my past training, I have not yet had need to contact technical support.

The EMS is very simple to install. The product is very simple.

For the moment, I only use a fraction of the features offered by the solution and these are very good. For someone like me, who is in Africa and has a small company numbering 500 users, the current features are more than sufficient. I do not use all that is provided by EMS.

When it comes to the competition, I can only wonder how Fortinet stacks up. I would be interested in knowing if it has the Data Lake feature offered on Palo Alto or machine learning about prevention.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is on-premises and we have our own server.

We have a database server and, for the moment, I don't have any issues with its resources. Perhaps, in the future, this will change.

I would recommend the solution to others without hesitation. It works very well. The EMS is very nice.

I rate Fortinet FortiClient as an eight out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiClient Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.