Fortinet FortiClient OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiClient is #1 ranked solution in top Endpoint Compliance tools, #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools, and #13 ranked solution in endpoint security software. IT Central Station users give Fortinet FortiClient an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiClient is most commonly compared to OpenVPN Access Server:Fortinet FortiClient vs OpenVPN Access Server. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiClient?

FortiClient is a fabric agent that delivers endpoint protection, endpoint compliance, and secure access in a single, lightweight, lightweight client, providing visibility, information, and control to your endpoints. In addition, it enables secure, remote connectivity to the security fabric. It also integrates network and endpoint with segmentation and automation. FortiClient enables unified endpoint awareness by sharing endpoint telemetry with the security fabric. It is compatible with third-party EDR (endpoint detection and response and anti-malware solutions.

The FortiClient fabric agent can:

• Report on the status of a device, including firmware version and applications running.
• Send all suspicious files to a fabric sandbox.
• Enforce USB control, application control, URL filtering, and firmware upgrade policies.
• Provide application firewall service and malware protection.
• Enable devices to connect securely to the security fabric over either ZTNA tunnels or VPN (IPsec or SSL), both encrypted. The connection to the security fabric can be either a SASE service or a FortiGate next-generation firewall.

You can purchase FortiClient with one of three levels of capability:

Zero Trust security - The ZTNA edition enables both VPN and ZTNA encrypted tunnels, as well as USB device control and URL filtering.
Endpoint security - The EPP/APT edition adds AI-based NGAV (next-generation antivirus), application firewall, endpoint quarantine, and support for cloud sandbox.
Cloud-based endpoint security

Benefits and Features

• Fabric agent leverages integrations and provides telemetry information to the rest of the Fortinet security fabric.
• SAAS control and web/content filtering
• Dynamic access control helps with automation and simplifies compliance.
• Software inventory management enables visibility as well as management of licenses.
• Automated response detects and isolates any endpoints that may be compromised.
• ZTNA delivers better remote access and consistent application access policies
• Managed endpoint security services remotely assist with setup, configuration, deployment, vulnerability monitoring, and overall monitoring of endpoint security.

Reviews from Real Users:

IT Central Station users like that FortiClient is easy to use and integrates well with other solutions. They also appreciate the richness of its features and find it to be inexpensive in comparison to other products that require separate purchases for separate features.

Fortinet FortiClient is also known as FortiClient.

Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiClient Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Fortinet FortiClient Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiClient Video

Archived Fortinet FortiClient Reviews (more than two years old)

MY
Network Security Manager at Onix-it solutions
Easy to set up and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with our firewall. We have a hybrid-cloud deployment.

What needs improvement?

FortiClient is not communicating with the new version of the firewall.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution, although I get disconnected sometimes.

This solution is scalable. We have approximately three hundred users.

I am satisfied with the technical support for this solution.

The initial setup of this solution is easy.

I took care of the…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution with our firewall.

We have a hybrid-cloud deployment.

What needs improvement?

FortiClient is not communicating with the new version of the firewall.

I have been using this solution for one year.

This is a stable solution, although I get disconnected sometimes.

This solution is scalable.

We have approximately three hundred users.

I am satisfied with the technical support for this solution.

The initial setup of this solution is easy.

I took care of the deployment myself.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend.

While there are some issues that need to be fixed, they are minor.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

MohamedSalah1
Presales Engineer at soulco
A solution with fast processing, good reporting, and great stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote access.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its integration capabilities. The processing is fast and the reporting is also very good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution should be less expensive.   It would be nice if you could connect to three or four sites at a time.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is very stable. I can use it up to eight hours a day with no problem.

The scalability could use improvement.

The technical support for…

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote access.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The pricing of the solution should be less expensive.

It would be nice if you could connect to three or four sites at a time.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The scalability could use improvement.

The technical support for the solution is great. We had a case previously where the tech team quickly responded to our needs. They're very fast.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. You can use it anytime, anywhere, even from the beach if you wanted to.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's very functional.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YR
Manager IT at OTE
Easy and useful: A normal user with basic information can easily connect to any environment

What is our primary use case?

We implement FortiClient software for our VPN users. We have so many important users who connect through the VPN from their offices and home. We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it configure the user's gateway and set up authentication through our firewall site. Then, we ask the user to login. Once the authentication get approved, the user will get access to resources.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy and useful. A normal user with basic information can easily connect to any environment.

We have been using the product for many years.

It…

What is our primary use case?

We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

We have been using the product for many years.

It is good.

Technical support is awful. Their online response time is not prompt. They should not respond after four or five days. Their support guys are not competent enough. Small issues are taking time. They are not quick like Dell EMC or Microsoft on chat. Those companies will log into your environment, look at the issue, and resolve the case.

The price is okay and competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend FortiClient. This is a really good security product in the market.

They have good products which they are improving.

KA
Consultant at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward installation, but better interprocess and real-time memory visibility are needed

• "From an application perspective, this solution is stable."
  • "The memory check needs to be improved, giving better visibility into the run-time memory."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is endpoint synchronization.

I deal with all of the security vendors, and this is one of the products that I have experience with. The deployment is on-premises and is used in conjunction with our firewall.

What is most valuable?

From an application perspective, this solution is stable.

What needs improvement?

I feel that this product is more to bolster their marketing, rather than its use for actual synchronization.

This solution is not able to deliver interprocess visibility when it comes to the endpoint, and this is something that needs to be done. Other solutions, such as Carbon Black, are able to do this.

The anti-exploitation engine needs enhancement. When it comes to Windows processes and protocols, they need to be included in a more effective way. As it is now, they simply have a checkmark beside it. They have visibility of the protocol, for Windows and the operating system communication, but they are not offering the same level as other solutions, such as Sophos, when it comes to the endpoint.

The level of data protection provided by this system is inconsistent.

I have been using this solution for about a year.

With respect to application stability, this is a stable solution. However, it is not consistent with respect to data protection.

While I have not tested the scalability to this point, my understanding is that this is a highly scalable solution. The biggest issue in this regard is on the accounting side, for the licensing.

I have worked with, and am familiar with many security solutions. These include Palo Alto, Fortinet, Malwarebytes, Sophos, and Carbon Black.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

I am the system integrator, and I handled the deployment of this solution.

Fortinet requires you to buy a lot of product in order for you to have proper protection.

What other advice do I have?

When it comes to Fortinet, the users are not a big fan of their current model. Bit by bit, they pull you into to buying the entire security fabric. You have to buy a lot of product, and a lot of licenses, to enable all of the features which will help you to secure your environment. This is unlike other solutions, where you have the ability to buy a particular product and it will do its job from the start to the end.

I'm thinking that they are trying to move to the McAfee model, where everything is a separate license that needs to be added. You have to buy a lot of product to get the perfect solution.

For me, the suitability of a solution often comes down to the price. Nobody is going to complain about the installation. I will design the solution and it will be the most secure solution, ever.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

RD
Systeem / Netwerkbeheerder at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Has good configuration and is easy and simple to use

What is our primary use case?

We use the private deployment model of this solution. Our cloud provider is Microsoft. Our primary use case of FortiClient is for administrative purposes.

What is most valuable?

The configuration is the most valuable feature. It is also simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could use improvement. It should be cheaper.  The reporting can also always be better.

I have been using FortiClient for a few months now.

It is stable.

We have around ten users using this solution. They are primarily system administrators. We require only three people for the maintenance.

How are

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The pricing could use improvement. It should be cheaper.

The reporting can also always be better.

I have been using FortiClient for a few months now.

It is stable.

Their technical support is good. I am satisfied with them.

We previously used Palo Alto. We switched because we are using Fortinet for the whole network.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment only took a few minutes.

We first used the reseller for the deployment but then did it ourselves.

We also looked at Meraki and Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. It works fine. It's the right solution if you use Fortinet. If we didn't have Fortinet, we wouldn't use it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

SA
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting are very easy

• "The most valuable feature is that it's easy to deploy. Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting are very easy."
  • "The price could also use improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case is for the customer side and to connect some external sites to our customer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's easy to deploy. Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting are very easy.

What needs improvement?

My customers say they need a consultation to fully integrate services. This needs improvement. I would like to see better integration.

The price could also use improvement.

In the next release, some of our clients said that while they can select different customers, they get confused and they would like to also see the logo of the company. The name is written but they want to see the logo as well.

My staff has been using this for three years.

In previous versions there were some bugs but from 5.6 onwards, it's been good and we've had no issues.

Scalability is very good. It's easy to expand the platform and add users. In my company, we have more than 100 users.

We only require one staff member for deployment and maintenance.

Technical support will open cases if there is an issue.

We also Cisco and Sophos solutions as well.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The deployment took around 15 minutes.

I deployed it myself.

We also looked at FortiGate

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because nothing is perfect.

JoelSadomba
IT Engineer at BAZ
Enables me to spend less time managing my user's internet usage but the web filter needs improvement

• "I think the solution is highly scalable."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in the web filter, because I think it can be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VPN connections. We use this program for VPN connection and antivirus purposes. We use the program each and every day.

How has it helped my organization?

We had challenges with managing our use of in terms of daily usage. The moment we deployed FortiClient we were able to start managing our user's usage of the internet. I'd say it has greatly improved our organization because now we don't have people spending too much of their time on unauthorized websites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this program is the web filtering, because it allows me to control my users to be safe on the internet. I can put limitations on what I don't want them to surf on the internet.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the web filter, because I think it can be more user-friendly. For instance, if I want to authorize a user to access a certain website, it should be easy for that user to edit those websites on the exempted list. But sometimes I find that my users can't do that when I am not at the office. Due to the fact that some of our users operate remotely, it sometimes happen that they can't access a specific website. Then I have to go through all the websites, or dive into the users machine just so that I can change the configuration. I therefore think it should be a little bit easier for a user to add a certain website to the exempted list.

Something else that should be worked on, is the compatibility issues between versions 6.2 and 6.0, because it is not easy to upgrade your firewall to the latest version with admin. If you want to upgrade, you need a hardware change.

I've been using FortiClient for eight months now.

We haven't had any stability issues or viruses since we started using FortiClient.

I think the solution is highly scalable. If you know how to deploy the solutions to other clients, scalability will be smooth. We currently have 30 users. Only one of the users is an admin and the rest are customers, or end-users. We do have plans to increase our usage, because our company is growing, and that means that our number of FortiClient customers will increase.

The technical support gets a seven out of ten rating from me. They are okay.

We used Symantec Endpoint Protection but then we decided to standardize our operation and then we started using FortiClient too. So instead of having each and every user using a different antivirus on different machines, we decided to standardize even though some of our users still had valid Symantec licenses. At that time we had two antiviruses running at the same time and two solutions running at the same time.

In the end, we decided to use FortiClient in our environment, because it offered VPN connection and antivirus purposes.

The initial setup was straightforward and it took me about an hour to deploy the program on our premises. I did the deployment myself, because I am responsible for the IT operations.

An annual license costs about 1.5 to 3,000 US dollars. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. My advice to others would be that they should standardize whatever they are running on their environment. If they are going for FortiClient, especially the 6.2 version, they need to standardize or upgrade their computer to standard specifications. I will also advise them to read the instructions so that they don't have any issues when they deploy FortiClient. They should plan accordingly before deploying FortiClient. Once they are sure about the policies they want to implement, they can proceed and deploy FortiClient. That would save them on deployment time and on troubleshooting if things go wrong. Proper planning is required before the deployment of FortiClient.

One of the biggest lessons I learned after a long struggle, was when some of my users were being denied access to a certain website some were marked as malicious and some were not suitable for viewing. My initial thought was that the firewall was the problem and that it was blocking all these users from accessing these websites. But I later realized that it wasn't the firewall blocking them, but FortiClient.

VS
ICT Officer at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
Targets all the vulnerabilities on the system, such as windows updates and application updates

• "The solution is very scalable. It just depends on the number of licenses an organization has. The enterprise management console is related to the number of clients, and the client interface itself is free to download."
  • "Initially, the support was very poor. It is getting better, but they should continue to improve this."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as an antivirus.

What is most valuable?

It is basically an anti-virus solution, but it is also very useful in that it tends to target all the vulnerabilities on the system, such as windows updates and application updates. Primarily it is used for Adobe related products and other applications.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we are having issues where the antivirus is blocking an item, but it is almost impossible to disable the antivirus. If the user wants to lift these priveledges they can't. Some options are not changeable. You cannot switch off a blockage even temporarily. I understand why it is like that, but I would like to give less control to these important processes because right now it is very complicated to turn off the protection even for testing purposes.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is perfectly stable.

The solution is very scalable. It just depends on the number of licenses an organization has. The enterprise management console is related to the number of clients, and the client interface itself is free to download. The upgrade of the enterprise license is dated, however. Currently, we have 100 licenses.

Previously we used Symantec's End Point protection. Forticlient is easier in that it is less demanding on our organization's hardware resources.

We previously used ESET also.

The initial set up is now straightforward. Previously, about three years ago, I needed to take instructions from the web on how to download this enterprise solution in order to find out how to implement it. Now it's much better.

Currently, we are considering the license extension and that seems straightforward.

You only need two people for maintenance once it is deployed.

We have previously used Symantec and ESET. I have not considered evaluating other options, but I update the information on the previous options I have used, and I'm following the latest trends.

What other advice do I have?

The functionality of the solution is pretty good. I think with every version the solution gets dramatically better.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Avraham Sonenthal
Senior Network Engineer at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
A trouble-free solution that allows us to connect to our partner's FortiGate gateway

• "It's pretty stable, and I don't have any problems with it."
  • "I haven't found that that solution does anything amazing."

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiClient for five to six users. Our primary use for this solution is to access a resource in our partner's network. They manage our call center.

How has it helped my organization?

This allows us to connect with our client who uses the FortiGate Firewall solution.

What is most valuable?

This is a standard VPN client, and it works for our requirements.

What needs improvement?

I haven't found that that solution does anything amazing. There is nothing special about it. It works trouble free just like any other client.

It's pretty stable, and I don't have any problems with it.

Scalability doesn't apply to the client. It works on a single endpoint. Scalability is something that is relevant to the FortiGate Firewall, and we do not use that product.

Our partner is the one who runs the system, so if we need technical support then it is them that we contact.

The other one that we use is AnyConnect, which is for the majority of our remote users. Only one of our partners requires us to use FortiClient.

The setup is straightforward for a VPN client. The deployment takes about ten minutes.

The implementation and deployment were completed in-house.

We just installed the clients and put in the configurations.

Anyone can download this product for free, but you have to have a FortiGate gateway that you are connecting to.

What other advice do I have?

This product is not terrible, but I don't have any basis in which to say that it is good.

Because we don't really have any problems with it, I would rate this product a ten out of ten.

Raul Rivera
Cybersecurity Engineer at GFR Media
Easy to use, Centralized console that provides visibility

• "The return on investment was very reasonable. It was low cost and it functioned, so the return on investment was excellent."
  • "Everybody else is doing AI, machine learning, self-healing, next-generation features. It needs more next-generation features. Everybody else is doing AI, machine learning, self-healing, next-generation features. It needs more next-generation features."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for remote access from having encrypted tunnels for our users back into our firewall. It was what was available at that point. We no longer are using a Fortinet firewall, which was the reason we stopped using FortiClient. While it was available, it was a good solution.

What needs improvement?

We had some issues using IPsec as a remote tunnel protocol and we had to change those configurations from IPsec to SSL. That was the only issue we had with FortiClient during the four years we used it.

Everybody else is doing AI, machine learning, self-healing, next-generation features. They should incorporate more next-generation features.

Three to five years.

The stability is excellent.

It scaled very well. We had close to a hundred users running the solution without an issue.

Technical support was excellent.

Before FortiClient we were using Microsoft RAS, Remote Access Server. We moved to FortiClient when we installed the Fortinet firewalls.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was on demand. We would have our help desk level one technicians do the installation on the end user laptops. The deployment strategy was as needed or on demand. The deployment took half an hour of a level one technician's time.

We didn't have technical staff for this, it was a very simple software to deploy. We had a manual that we would give the users. It was a self-serve. Apart from our installation, it was very simple to use. It had a lot of options which we really didn't use like vulnerability assessment or patching. We just used it for remote access.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The return on investment was very reasonable. It was low cost and it functioned, so the return on investment was excellent. The integration was the firewall. Being able to a have firewall log that actually logged my FortiClient information and being able to have a centralized console to give me visibility, was the main reason we used FortiClient, because of its integration with the firewalls.

Licensing was free up to ten users and after that, it was pretty reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to use as much functionality as possible on the endpoint.

I would rate it a seven out of ten. It fills remote access needs. I give it a seven because of the issues we had between IPsec and SSL. I also give it a seven for its cost, which is very low. It was a good product while I had it.

BR
CTO at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It's given us the ability to remotely access information securely

• "Remote connectivity is its most valuable feature."
  • "The initial setup was probably more complex. The configuration was somewhat unclear."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is VPN.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to work from outside the office, it has given us the ability to remotely access information securely.

What is most valuable?

Remote connectivity is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like simplicity in the being able to configure the software to use it without a lot of effort.

It's highly stable.

The scalability is limited.

The technical support has been good and helpful.

We were previously using Cisco. We switched because we switched the hardware.

We chose this solution because it is part of a bigger product solution and it has flexibility.

We used a reseller for the deployment, who was good.

The solution has helped increase staff productivity by approximately 15 percent.

What other advice do I have?

It has improved our security posture by having this additional product.

Be open to what is out there. This particular solution is good, but there are other solutions out there that may make more sense for what you are trying to achieve.

it_user873078
IT Support with 51-200 employees
Good signatures and protection but the management system changes are unfavorable

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for anti-virus, and its performance is okay.

How has it helped my organization?

Its benefit is that it provides virus protection.

What is most valuable?

FortiClient has good signatures, good protection and, up until recently, it integrated really well with our firewall.

What needs improvement?

I'm hoping they change the management system. The management is no longer applicable for us, so I want that to go back to the way it was.

The stability is excellent.

It is definitely scalable.

I haven't used tech…

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for anti-virus, and its performance is okay.

How has it helped my organization?

Its benefit is that it provides virus protection.

The stability is excellent.

It is definitely scalable.

I haven't used tech support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are going to be price and manageability.

I would rate this solution as a seven because it worked fine, but things changed.

Download our free Fortinet FortiClient Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.