Fortinet FortiDDoS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiDDoS is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection tools. It is most often compared to Arbor DDoS: Fortinet FortiDDoS vs Arbor DDoS

What is Fortinet FortiDDoS?

Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are ever-evolving and use a variety of technologies. To successfully combat these attacks, you need a dynamic, multi-layered security solution. FortiDDoS protects from both known and zero day attacks with very low latency. It’s easy to deploy and manage, and includes comprehensive reporting and analysis tools.

Fortinet FortiDDoS is also known as Fortinet DDoS, FortiDDos.

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Fortinet FortiDDoS Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiDDoS Video

Archived Fortinet FortiDDoS Reviews (more than two years old)

MA
IT Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The security is good but it should be more user-friendly and more affordable

• "I find the interface easy to use."
  • "The solution can be a little more user-friendly and it can be more affordable."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

Some of this solution's policies are good for security reasons, like the firewall and all the inundation when you configure the firewall. Then you have to purchase and apply the security of FortiDDos. I also like its ease of use and the technical support. I find the interface easy to use because I'm the Linux expert in our company.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be a little more user-friendly and it can be more affordable.

I've used FortiDDos for two years now on premises.

I haven't had any problems with stability before, but one of my clients had. He asked me to help him when he had stability issues. We consulted the software team and asked them about software solutions. They then made some changes in their software, and since then it has been working fine.

We have a big team working on this program, and I do believe it is scalable.

The technical support is good because it's available 24/7. I don't use them often because I usually fix things myself. But if I need a password, or if my client forgot a password, we need support. Their response is very good.

The initial setup was quite straightforward and because I'm certified by Fortinet, I only reconfigured the firewall and some other things. Whenever I was uncertain about something, I did a test on Google and figured it out myself. So I was able to do everything myself.

The pricing of this solution is better than that of Cisco and other software on the market, which are very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Most companies don't have a big budget, so a decrease in the license fees will be good. Companies with the lowest price, want the lowest price in the IT sector because their IT sector has a very big budget. I will rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Francisco Abad
Analyst at Impuestos Internos
Enables me to see all the traffic on my network

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our users and their data.

What is most valuable?

It allows me to see all the traffic on my network.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see analytics, big data.

What other advice do I have?

FortiDDoS rates a nine out of ten because it's user-friendly.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our users and their data.

What is most valuable?

It allows me to see all the traffic on my network.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see analytics, big data.

What other advice do I have?

FortiDDoS rates a nine out of ten because it's user-friendly.

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, NETSCOUT, Radware and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BB
Senior Network Security Engineer at Aplikas
This solution can protect Layer 3, Layer 4 and Layer 7 attacks of applications.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect the web server from application-based attacks.

What is most valuable?

This solution can protect Layer 3, Layer 4 and Layer 7 attacks of applications for us, and this is important. The net screen feature helps us deal with the Layer attacks.

What needs improvement?

I find that there have been issues in the past year with the solution hanging. It freezes often.

Less than one year.

The solution is scalable. Our company is about 100 people.

We have received good support.

We have prior experience with Juniper.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect the web server from application-based attacks.

Less than one year.

The solution is scalable. Our company is about 100 people.

We have received good support.

We have prior experience with Juniper.

it_user850416
Senior Network Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Detects/mitigates DDoS attacks at L3 to L7, with negligible false-positives

• "Among its key features: Detects and mitigates DDoS attacks at L3 to L7; negligible to zero false-positives; Generates and sends reports without the need for an expensive third-party solution."
  • "All the thresholds that need to be configured should be included in the default so that user will not forget or misconfigure."

What is our primary use case?

I use FortiDDoS in an internet datacentre with multiple upstreams to protect my infrastructure and customers from current and future DDoS attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to other DDoS mitigation solutions with similar deployment, FortiDDoS does not require 24x7 NOC. It has lower TCO.

What is most valuable?

• Detects and mitigates DDoS attacks at L3 to L7 - DDoS attacks are not only ICMP (L3) and UDP (L4).
  • Protection from Zero-day DDoS attacks - I don’t have to worry whether my current solution is relevant in the future.
  • Negligible to zero false-positives - With a high-rate of false-positives I would have to have a 24x7 NOC which would increas TCO and decreas customer confidence.
  • Ability to detect and mitigate DDoS attacks while allowing legitimate traffic from the same source IP.
  • Does not rely only/mainly on signature because a signature-based DDoS solution cannot detect many DDoS packets; and worse, they are the cause of false-positives.
  • Purpose-built CPU.
  • Generates and sends reports without the need for an expensive third-party solution - Such solutions for generating and sending reports would increase TCO.

What needs improvement?

Multiple subnets can be created in one SPP Policy. Multiple subnets can be selected in one report configuration. One report configuration can have multiple schedules. All those thresholds that need to be configured should be included in the default so that user will not forget or misconfigure.

Three to five years.
DD
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Purpose-built ASIC mitigates DDoS attack at line-rate without affecting performance. It can be also deployed off-ramp if the user has the know how.

What is most valuable?

Purpose-built ASIC mitigates DDoS attack at line-rate without affecting performance. This has been proven by an independent testing lab and during our PoC.

I find this product the best on-premises (in-line) DDoS mitigation solution that suits my current and future requirements. It can be also deployed off-ramp if the user has the know how.

Layer 3, Layer 4, and Layer 7 DDoS attack mitigation including encrypted DDoS attack. All-in-one DDoS mitigation solution.

Minimal to zero false-positives. Differentiate DDoS attack traffic from non-DDoS attack traffic from the same source IP and blocks only DDoS attack traffic. This has been proven during our PoC.

Zero-day DDoS attack mitigation. Mitigates current and future DDoS attacks as it doesn't use signature.

How has it helped my organization?

If deployed properly, it doesn't require 24x7 NOC. Fully automated and with minimal to zero false-positives, it has a lower TCO compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

SPP Policy. Ability to configure multiple subnets in one SPP Policy.

Report configuration. Ability to select multiple SPP Policy and configure multiple schedules in one report.

I have been using this for three years, as of 2017.

Earlier versions of firmware had bugs that limit my options. They were fixed on subsequent version releases. For my requirements, stability started with version 4.2

I rate it 10 (best). Support has good product knowledge.

I didn't use different solutions. I made sure to choose the right solution through comprehensive evaluation of many DDoS mitigation solutions available. I worked with vendors in evaluating their products and my colleagues who are using them.

Although I didn't attend training and just saw the setup during a demo, when I set up the solution in production it was straightforward and it didn't even cause downtime.

The price is reasonable. IP Reputation is a separate subscription but this is optional.

I evaluated products from three vendors. I worked with vendors in evaluating their products along with my colleagues who are using them in production.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for a demo. Use the latest firmware version. Plan properly. Understand the features and settings before deployment.