Fortinet FortiEDR OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiEDR is the #9 ranked solution in our list of EDR tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiClient: Fortinet FortiEDR vs Fortinet FortiClient

What is Fortinet FortiEDR?

Advanced attacks can take just minutes, if not seconds, to compromise the endpoints. First-generation endpoint detection and response (EDR) tools simply cannot keep pace. They require manual triage and responses that are not only too slow for fast moving threats but they also generate a huge volume of indicators that burden already overstretched security teams. Further, legacy EDR tools drive up the cost of security operations and can slow processes, negatively impacting business.

FortiEDR delivers advanced, real-time threat protection for endpoints both pre- and post-infection. It proactively reduces the attack surface, prevents malware infection, detects and defuses potential threats in real time, and can automate response and remediation procedures with customizable playbooks. FortiEDR helps organizations stop breaches in real-time automatically and efficiently, without overwhelming security teams with a slew of false alarms or disrupting business operations.

Fortinet FortiEDR is also known as enSilo, FortiEDR.

Download the Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Fortinet FortiEDR Customers

Financial, Healthcare, Legal, Technology, Enterprise, Manufacturing ...

Fortinet FortiEDR Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiEDR pricing:
  • "There are no issues with the pricing."

Fortinet FortiEDR Reviews

ChandanMunshi
Chief Technical Officer at Provision Technologies LLP
Has an easy setup and good firewall response

• "The ease of deployment and configuration is valuable. It's very easy compared to other vendors like Sophos. Sophos' configuration is complex. Fortinet is a lot easier to understand. You don't need a lot of admin knowledge to do the configuration."
  • "The security should be strong for the cloud. Some applications are on-prem and some are on the cloud. Fortinet should also have strong security for the cloud. There should be more security for the cloud."

What is most valuable?

The security is also very good and the firewall response is good.

What needs improvement?

Clients want to be in a hybrid mix and match mode. The security needs to be relevant in that way as well. It has to be online, on the cloud and on-premises. This is the customer's mindset. They don't want to go for user applications on the cloud. They think it will fail and the data will be inaccessible. They don't want to go to the cloud platform. The security should be strong for the cloud. Some applications are on-prem and some are on the cloud. Fortinet should also have strong security for the cloud. There should be more security for the cloud.

I have been using FortiEDR for the last year.

It runs constantly, 24/7. It is quite stable. We haven't had any stability issues.

It is scalable. It is good for both small and large companies. Security has to be strong, it should be at the same standard. It's suitable for all business sizes.

We haven't needed to contact support for EDR.

The deployment can be done in one week. We have configured it within a week. It takes generally three people to set it up. I supervise the team.

There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

As of now, it's very good. We don't have a lot of challenges. The EDR concept is new to the market. It doesn't have a lot of competition. As of now, we don't have a lot of user input. If it's on the market for a few more years, I'm sure people will have more feedback.

We do our own documentation and share the whitepapers with our clients. I don't find Fortinet to be a difficult tool. The reporting is good and designed in a way that even a newcomer can use it easily. As of now those clients who have migrated from other security vendors don't have a lot of challenges. The clients appreciate the technology and report that they have tangible benefits.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. All of the requirements are addressed nicely and the security is covered. It has everything it needs.

HarpreetSingh2
Information Technology Support Specialist at Chemtrade Logistics
Straightforward, easy to maintain, and works as per our expectations

• "It notifies us if there's any suspicious file on any PC. If any execution or similar kind of thing is happening, it just alerts us. It doesn't only alert. It also blocks the execution until we allow it. We check whether the execution is legitimate or not, and then approve it or keep it blocked. This gives us a little bit of control over this mechanism. Fortinet FortiEDR is also very straightforward and easy to maintain."
  • "They can include the automation for the realtime updates. We have a network infrastructure with remote sites. Whenever they send updates, they are not automated. We have to go into the console and push those updates. I wish it was more automated. The update file is currently around 31 MB. It could be smaller."

What is our primary use case?

We had a ransomware attack in 2017, and that's when we went with enSilo, which is now called FortiEDR. It helps us to detect the hash files and all that. So far, it's really good. It detects any kind of anomaly. If any installation is happening, it checks the process and everything else and lets us know how it works.

What is most valuable?

It notifies us if there's any suspicious file on any PC. If any execution or similar kind of thing is happening, it just alerts us. It doesn't only alert. It also blocks the execution until we allow it. We check whether the execution is legitimate or not, and then approve it or keep it blocked. This gives us a little bit of control over this mechanism.

Fortinet FortiEDR is also very straightforward and easy to maintain.

What needs improvement?

They can include the automation for the realtime updates. We have a network infrastructure with remote sites. Whenever they send updates, they are not automated. We have to go into the console and push those updates. I wish it was more automated. The update file is currently around 31 MB. It could be smaller.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is really good.

It is scalable. Currently, around 1500 users are using it.

The support has gone down a little bit since Fortinet acquired enSilo. Earlier, because they were a small company, they used to pay more attention to the customers and proactively contact us for certain things, like product updates. The support structure has now changed. Now, it's a big umbrella. Fortinet is a big fish, so they can't contact you as much because they have more clients. As enSilo, it was a smaller footprint, and it was kind of personalized support.

The initial setup was simple. The deployment time depends on how big the implementation is. Ours is a big organization. It took us a week to deploy to our systems, and that's obviously because we were pushing those agents. Some of our sites are so remote that they can only have 1MB lines. So, when you push the agent, it obviously takes time.

We have a small team of only seven people for implementation. One dev person deals with it.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are quite happy with this product. It basically works the way we want it since we have installed it. It's as per expectations.

I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike and others in Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR). Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DV
Senior Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use dashboard and interface, and it's easy to create exceptions

• "Exceptions are easy to create and the interface is easy to follow with a nice appearance."
  • "The SIEM could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We would have used this solution for endpoint detection EDR, which we don't currently have. We wanted to see how it works with the discovery of the history of some things that might come up.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is easy to follow and use.

The deployment and uninstalling were easy.

I like the detailed information about the path of a file that might be suspicious. Being able to check that out was easy to follow.

What needs improvement?

The SIEM could be improved. I would have liked to see that you could access the same SIEM or Fortinet EDR dashboard from the same login, but I heard that they were different, which was a bit of a letdown.

I used this solution for a month to do a PoC.

I was using the latest version.

It's a stable solution. It would fit our organization's needs.

We are currently using Cylance.

The initial setup was straightforward. There were no complexities.

The deployment didn't take long at all. It took more time to create a Cylance install and push-out to the network to do anything. It didn't really take that much time. It was no problem.

There are no issues with the pricing.

We were using a demo for both Fortinet FortiEDR and SentinelOne. We were doing PoC on both to see which one we wanted to use.

We wanted to see the differences between them and Cylance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR an eight out of ten.

MK
Security Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Automation saves us time; forensic detailing and memory exfiltration are great for separate analysis

• "Ability to get forensics details and also memory exfiltration."
  • "Detections could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to deploy to all the clients we have to monitor any kind of suspicious activities occurring on the end points besides antivirus. This will kind of automate their response basically with the EDR. I'm a security analyst and we are customers of Fortinet.

How has it helped my organization?

Since we've had this solution we've been able to monitor different hosts of services and different devices effectively. We can also automate to save a lot of time instead of doing things manually.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would be the ability to get forensics details and also memory exfiltration so we can analyze them separately after an incident.

What needs improvement?

Detections could definitely be improved. It's still detecting some things that it shouldn't be like Microsoft Intune and 365 devices as well.

I'd like to see an improvement in the reporting. There are currently no reporting capabilities so I would definitely want to see that.

I've been using this solution for 18 months.

The solution is stable.

We haven't had issues with scalability and we have over 5,000 endpoints. In the security team we have four people who use the solution daily. The others use it in case of emergency.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a good product and will make your life easier.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud
RakeshNaganna
Cyber Security Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is stable and scalable but limited in the number of details it provides

• "It is stable and scalable."
  • "The amount of usage, the number of details we get, or the number of options that can be tweaked is limited in comparison to that with other EDR solutions"

What is most valuable?

It is stable and scalable.

What needs improvement?

Comparatively, it works fine, but the amount of usage, the number of details we get, or the number of options that can be tweaked is limited in comparison to that with other EDR solutions. The ability to make certain changes or investigate is also limited.

Also, the investigation and the details, which I would get when I'm looking into it, and the ways I could configure or white list or black list a few things are also limited. It is not up to an extent where it can give me granular options to do that.

I've been using it for about a year.

The stability is pretty good.

It is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

For some organizations, FortiEDR is good enough, but for others, it's not. It depends on the organization's infrastructure.

I would rate Fortinet FortiEDR at six on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, SentinelOne, CrowdStrike, and more!