Fortinet FortiGate Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Firewall Security Management tools. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiManager: Fortinet FortiGate Cloud vs Fortinet FortiManager

What is Fortinet FortiGate Cloud?

FortiCloud can help with your wireless and security challenges in a number of ways. Our solution addresses common IT difficulties including time-consuming provisioning, high investment costs, complex management, vulnerability to advanced threats, and the need to easily scale with growth.

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud is also known as FortiCloud, FortiGate Cloud .

Download the Firewall Security Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiGate Cloud pricing:
  • "The pricing is competitive."
  • "The pricing is mid-ranged, it's not very expensive but it's not the cheapest or most affordable in the market."
  • "The license does not include many of the features that are necessary, which means that you have to pay extra for them."
  • "The price is over $1,000 USD annually."

Fortinet FortiGate Cloud Reviews

TP
Assistant General Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Available hardware and responsive service, but there should be a move towards hardware agnostic appliances

• "We like the availability of the hardware and the service that we get from FortiGate, as well as the kind of reach that they have as a part of their sales folks."
  • "Things are moving increasingly towards hardware agnostic appliances, an area in which I would like Fortinet to be more focused and fast moving with that product line."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are twofold, being to secure our own company network and to create an offering for our end customers.

What is most valuable?

We like the availability of the hardware and the service that we get from FortiGate, as well as the kind of reach that they have as a part of their sales folks. We are also pleased with their responsiveness. These are the parameters by which we rate our partners.

What needs improvement?

The world is moving towards everything being software defined. This is an issue which should be addressed. Things are also moving increasingly towards hardware agnostic appliances, an area in which I would like Fortinet to be more focused and fast moving with that product line.

I will leave it to the OEM to decide which additional features should be included, because everything is available to them, in as much as the way the market is moving and the types of features the competition is offering. The Fortinet people are in a better position than I to determine which features they want to bring in the lower end modules available from their product portfolio.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate Cloud for around a year-and-a-half.

So far, we have not faced any challenges with the stability and are pretty happy with the device's performance. It accomplishes many things and is working very well.

While it is difficult for me to address the scalability, this may become an issue in light of the trend for things to move towards being software defined. I have no doubt this will require work to mitigate this issue. From the perspective of scalability, the throughput number of concurrent users are already redefined. Because of the obvious challenges, it would not be possible for us to scale up with the same underlying hardware. However, there are multiple models which exist in the hierarchy. There may be a need to first upgrade when those requirements will need to be filtered.

The limitation is on the hardware, which will eventually have to go once installation becomes completely virtual.

I do not have any issues with technical support. So far, everything has been up to snuff.

Our use of the solution was a greenfield project for us.

When it comes to the initial setup, I have found Fortinet products to be quite easy.

Deployment is easy. The endpoints are modular and the installation pretty straightforward. Most devices come with a graphical user interface. It is GUI and is pretty easy to configure and deploy.

The pricing is competitive. I am satisfied with it and consider it reasonable.

While I prefer not to provide names, we did evaluate Fortinet with a couple of other OEMs. Technically, they were also on par with the kind of services offered by Fortinet. For us, key considerations centered on the responsiveness, the cost strain and the availability of the infrastructure that was provided.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to someone who is looking for a faster, more responsive, cost competitive and agile delivery for the equipment. In this geography hierarchy, the sales team is pretty much geared up to support you.

The priorities can vary from one organization to the next. Based on those that we set for ourselves, we felt our needs to be met and this is why we chose to go with the solution.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate Cloud as a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
Sevan Chandra
Technical Lead at Nubewell
Integrator
Easy to use, good load balancing, and offers the potential to scale

• "The solution is quite stable. I haven't had issues with it crashing on me. I don't recall running into any bugs or glitches. It's very reliable so far."
  • "When it comes to technical support, the problem we have found is that if an issue comes, it takes a day to get everything resolved. It could be faster. They can be better at optimizing how they answer tickets in terms of response times. There must be ways to make the process more streamlined. It would make it easier for their clients."

What is most valuable?

The load balancing of the solution is excellent.

The QoS (Quality of Service) provided is very impressive.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the overall product, I don't see places for improvement. It's excellent.

The cost of the solution is too high. It should be adjusted to be more affordable for companies. Right now, I feel like it's far too much.

I've been using the solution for about a year at this point.

The solution is scalable. We have 150 people on it right now in our company, but if we needed to expand it, I have no doubt it would be relatively easy. In fact, we're beginning to expand a little bit now and plan to increase usage in the future as well.

When it comes to technical support, the problem we have found is that if an issue comes, it takes a day to get everything resolved. It could be faster. They can be better at optimizing how they answer tickets in terms of response times. There must be ways to make the process more streamlined. It would make it easier for their clients.

We didn't previously use other options before we chose Fortigate Cloud. It was the first one we chose.

The initial setup is straightforward. I don't find it to be complex at all.

Once we went through the documentation and all of the other items, it might have taken a day or so to set everything up and deploy the solution.

The solution is quite expensive.

We had a look at Silver Peak and a few other products. However, we heard from the reviews and at other expos that FortiGate would be the right solution for what we required, so we chose to try them out instead.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a user of the solution; I don't have a relationship to Fortigate. I'm not a reseller or integrator.

I don't really have specific advice for other companies considering trying it, however, I think they would enjoy using the product. In terms of stability and ease of use, it's great. It's not complex at all. It's an approachable product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd give it a perfect ten out of ten if we could get more leverage in terms of automation and integration. We'd really like to leverage automation resources in the future.

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Amazon, Palo Alto Networks and others in Firewall Security Management. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SS
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
MSP
Easy to use with good support, but reporting needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the stability, it's actually tailored for that."
  • "Reporting is an area that can be enhanced."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers who provide this solution to customers who require a firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

Also, it covers all of security use cases that you might have as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

It has many useful tools, such as managing wireless connections. If you have access points from the same vendor then you can manage them through FortiGate using the sandbox.

It's easy to use, it's straightforward, easy to configure, and to configure to your needs.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is an area that can be enhanced. It is not always beneficial, and you have to buy an additional license to get the type of reports that you're looking for.

There are often releases of the new firmware, which requires upgrades often. This is an inconvenience for customers as they have to have a maintenance window and turn off the internet until the upgrade is complete.

In the future, they could integrate with a third-party reporting tool such as Crystal Reports or Power BI, which might be beneficial, as it currently requires an additional license.

I have been working with FortiGate Cloud since 2015.

This solution is stable.

For the cloud, it is scalable because its nature. When it comes to the on-premises version, you are limited by your hardware.

With the Cloud, you can enhance or increase your cloud instance as your environment grows.

Technical support is wonderful. They are one of the good companies that provide really good technical support.

The initial setup is easy. Provided that you have your requirements clear, it is not complex. If you do not have clear requirements then it's like any other technology and it will be complex.

If you have your requirements ready and you what you want to achieve then it's straightforward.

The pricing is mid-ranged, it's not very expensive but it's not the cheapest or most affordable in the market.

What other advice do I have?

When you have FortiGate, you subscribe to the FortiCloud in order to have certain intelligence.

This solution is good but there are many areas that need improvements.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JR
Senior Security Architect for Medical Devices at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Good GUI with well-documented basic features and the capability to scale

• "The installation is very simple."
  • "As with any IT vendor, there are software issues."

What is most valuable?

The GUI interface is good.

The basic features are well-documented.

The installation is very simple.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

The stability is okay.

What needs improvement?

The support is not very good and is something they need to work on. I do not find them to be very helpful.

As with any IT vendor, there are software issues.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years. It's been over a decade at this point. I have used it for quite a while.

The overall operation is pretty good. That said, the solution isn't completely stable. There's not a lot of bugs, and yet, there are bugs. Sometimes Fortinet says they will not fix a bug in a certain version as they considered it non-essential, however, for a user, it's a different story.

The scalability is good, and if a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

Technical support is not the greatest. L1 support works exclusively by script, sometimes not even looking at the case to see that the info they subsequently request is already included in the initial info provided when the case was opened. There seems to be no effort at all to reproduce customer issues. They aren't supporting, and sometimes they won't fix certain things, like bugs, as, to them, they do not consider the fix something essential.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's pretty straightforward and simple.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We are not a partner and don't have a business relationship with Fortinet.

We have quite a mix of deployments. We have some FortiGates deployed in Azure, we have some FortiGates that are hardware only, and then we have some FortiGates that are on EFX or vSphere.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

I'd rate the product at a seven out of ten. mostly due to the lackluster support on offer.

AW
Founder at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to learn and use, with good support, but the initial setup should be simplified

• "It's quite easy to use, and it's easy to find the necessary information from the web."
  • "We need some integration or communication between the endpoint and the firewall."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the basic protection of the on-premises network.

What is most valuable?

It's quite easy to use, and it's easy to find the necessary information from the web.

They have the means to learn how to use Fortinet.

What needs improvement?

The initial set up could be simplified.

When evaluating other solutions, I learned that Sophos for example is able to have the endpoint interact with the firewall. If something goes wrong or if the endpoint is not behaving as it should, it could isolate the endpoint. We need some integration or communication between the endpoint and the firewall.

I would also like to have a bundle available that would include things like EDR and endpoint.

I have been using FortiGate Cloud for approximately three years.

This solution is stable.

We have not explored the scalability. We purchased what fits our user size and have not had to expand it yet.

We have approximately 20 users.

We plan to continue to use the Fortinet FortiGate Cloud.

We are quite satisfied with technical support.

Initially the set up is not that easy. At first, you are familiar with the product and then it has some difficulty in setting it up.

It requires a lot of research before you can finally make it work.

We implemented this solution ourselves. We did not use a vendor team.

There are costs in addition to the standard licensing fee. The license does not include many of the features that are necessary, which means that you have to pay extra for them.

I evaluated other products. We chose Fortinet because it was the preferred option.

What other advice do I have?

If you are new to Fortinet, do some research on how to configure it, either through documentation or watching videos.

Recently, I have learned that they have training available and offer certification material and testing on the web.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate Cloud a seven out of ten.

MF
Information Technology Assistant at a manufacturing company
Very stable, easy to set up, and easy to implement reporting

• "It's easy to use and the fact that I can schedule the report to come to my inbox at set times is very convenient for me."
  • "The solution should allow users to keep the data for longer than the current periods. I can't get any historic data after more than a month. I would like to be able to, after a year, look for trends from the past 12 months. It would make things much easier."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet is what we use for our firewall and we get reports from FortiCloud. We use those to see the state of our network. We generally use it for reporting purposes whereby we see what's happening on our network at the end of each day or week.

What is most valuable?

The solution is definitely stable, which is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution should allow users to keep the data for longer than the current periods. I can't get any historic data after more than a month. I would like to be able to, after a year, look for trends from the past 12 months. It would make things much easier.

I've been using the solution for about a year.

The solution is quite stable. I haven't run into any issues where there were unexpected crashes or glitches.

I've never attempted to scale the solution, so I'm not sure how easy or difficult it would be to expand if one needed to.

We only have five people using the solution currently. They're all admin and support level individuals.

So far, we've been satisfied with technical support.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This is the first time we've implemented a product like this.

The initial setup was straightforward. I didn't find there were any complexities.

Deployment only took a few minutes and then it was ready to use.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We use the latest version of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. It's working really well for us and is completely meeting our expectations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

MH
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable with good functionality and good pricing

• "The functionality of the solution is excellent."
  • "The command-line interface could definitely be improved in future iterations. It's lacking right now."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a firewall. We use it as a next generation firewall, however, not SD-WAN, at least, not regularly.

What is most valuable?

The functionality of the solution is excellent.

The pricing is quite good. We find it to be reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be better on the solution. As it is now, there's definitely room for improvement.

I've been using this solution for five years at this point. It's been a while.

We haven't heard of anyone having issues with the stability. It's good. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We haven't had any complaints about the scalability. If a company needs to expand it, they should be able to do so.

The companies that we deal with vary in size. We work with organizations that can be anywhere from 50 to 5,000 employees.

The initial setup is not complex at all. I found it to be quite straightforward. We didn't have any issues with the implementation.

We have an internal team that handles the maintenance of Fortigate. We have 40 employees that deal with that aspect of the solution.

The pricing is quite reasonable. It's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're Fortigate service providers.

I'm not a technician and therefore I don't use the solution on a day to day basis.

That said, I would recommend it to other organizations. It's been reliable and works well for us.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine.

GireeshRamamurthy
Principal Consultant at Epitome Infotech Solutions (P) Ltd
Security is improved through sandbox features and the technical support is good

• "The sandboxing feature is very important."
  • "I would like to see a SIEM bundled together with this because customers are looking into better reporting and more proactive security solutions."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I provide to my customers.

I am familiar with Sandboxing services and some of the other features. This solution is mainly used for securing events.

What is most valuable?

The sandboxing feature is very important.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, it would benefit this solution to have more advanced monitoring capabilities such as predictive analysis and reporting.

I have been using FortiCloud for five or six years.

We have not come across any problems with stability.

With respect to scalability, we have had no problems whatsoever.

We have been in contact with the Fortinet technical support a couple of times, although it has been for hardware-related issues and had nothing to do with our configuration. One of our customers had hardware that was failing quite often.

The technical support is pretty good and so far, we have no complaints.

This initial setup is pretty straightforward. I don't think that it is complex.

The entire firewall implementation will take a couple of days, maximum. This is with everything, all together.

Some of our customers purchase yearly licenses, while others purchase subscriptions that are three years in length. The price is over $1,000 USD annually.

What other advice do I have?

FortiCloud helps to enhance the security posture of any organization, and I definitely recommend looking into it.