Fortinet FortiGate IPS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate IPS is #7 ranked solution in top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. IT Central Station users give Fortinet FortiGate IPS an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiGate IPS is most commonly compared to Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System:Fortinet FortiGate IPS vs Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 31% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiGate IPS?

An intrusion prevention system (IPS) is a critical component of every network’s core security capabilities. It protects against known threats and zero-day attacks including malware and underlying vulnerabilities. Deployed inline as a bump in the wire, many IPS solutions perform deep packet inspection of traffic at wire speed, requiring high throughput and low latency.

Fortinet delivers IPS technology via the industry-validated and recognized FortiGate platform. FortiGate security processors provide unparalleled high performance, while FortiGuard Labs informs industry-leading threat intelligence, creating an IPS with proven success in protecting from known and zero-day threats. As a key component of the Fortinet Security Fabric, FortiGate IPS secures the entire end-to-end infrastructure without compromising performance.

Fortinet FortiGate IPS was previously known as FortiGate IPS.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Fortinet FortiGate IPS Customers
Riverside Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Dell SecureWorks, Credit Bank Zagreb
Fortinet FortiGate IPS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiGate IPS pricing:
  • "The licensing costs are very competitive."
  • "The pricing for FortiGate IPS is competitive with other products in the category."
  • "We are currently evaluating a Palo Alto solution, and the pricing could be a reason for going for Palo Alto."
  • "It is not expensive as compared to Cisco."
  • "They are more expensive than others."

Fortinet FortiGate IPS Reviews

SB
System Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Provides good data on client usage patterns with great VPN capabilities

• "Provides good VPN capabilities."
  • "Security level could be increased."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is the gateway for protecting our network. We are customers of Fortinet and I'm a system administrator.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has allowed us to get more data than we were previously able to and we also employ the FortiGate analyzer to provide more data on the usage patterns of our clients which provides us with security metrics. FortiGate gives us a better picture of what's going on in the network and how best we can approach improving the service or addressing any security issues.

What is most valuable?

We're currently relying heavily on the VPN capabilities, given that a lot of users are working remotely and that's been particularly useful for us. FortiGate has an extensive library for support so you rarely need to reach out to them, it's all easily accessible.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive and I'd like to see the cost reduced. I think Fortinet could raise their level of security. Their VPN service for users gives them the ability to direct remote users to exactly where they're supposed to go. It's good but some other solutions don't give access for remote users to come on to the network. Rather the cloud platform relays or reflects the application that the remote user would've wanted to get access to on the network. It means that remote users don't get to the physical network of the company and that's good for security.

As long as you know what you're doing, it's a pretty stable solution - they push out firmware updates pretty regularly and I haven't noticed any update that breaks anything.

The solution is scalable and adaptable depending on network activity or clients having a network. There's a solution for everything and it's pretty granular for each individual appliance. It gives you leeway and room to work. We have around 100 users in the company, everybody is connected; our staff are security administrators, systems administrators and database admins. We're planning to increase usage. I think FortiGate has a ZTNA service as well and we're in talks to determine the best solution.

We haven't had much contact with support but they're pretty good. You do need to schedule a time for them to get back to you so the solution isn't immediate. The support is quite comprehensive.

We used SonicWall before moving to Fortinet. It was a good product but it was pretty complex and complicated when it came to implementing certain things. We needed a solution where anyone could come in and get the job done without having to research deeply.

We used a Fortinet partner for implementation because we were busy with other projects at the time. They did a great job for us. Deployment took about a week but it could have been done in less time if we hadn't had some scheduling issues. We have three people involved with maintenance.

We used to have issues with data, internet usage, and controlling our users' access to the internet. It impacted other areas of the company. With Fortinet, we're able to control how users utilize resources and pull back on certain things while allowing more access in others. It would include things like online calls, IP calling or use of Teams for legitimate business. Having control over that means there are fewer break ups, and fewer dropped calls because we have more control.

People with BYOD's can hog the network but with that level of granular control, we can decide where the priority is. In terms of ROI, there are fewer expenses, less time wasted addressing issues related to reporting, whereas before it was quite chaotic. Fortinet provides the ability to create more order and the ability to better analyze exactly what it is that is going on in the network.

The solution is expensive although I'm not sure of the cost. It does include support and updates.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, it provides an extensive library for any issues or for when you're building out a new solution. It has different appliances for different tiers. Planning is important, knowing what's in the environment, where you expect it to go, and then ensuring that you develop or acquire a solution necessary to address that situation.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

SD
Infrastructure manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent protection for websites, servers and more

• "The feature that I find most valuable is its protection of the websites."
  • "I would like to be able to generate reports about the protections that we have. I would like a report feature."

What is our primary use case?

We have FortiGate with all the licenses - antivirus, IPS, and advanced threat protection. It's a combination of protection in the perimeter. We have configured some rules for IPS protection in the FortiGate perimeter.

We use it as part of a combination of protections because we have the DMT virus, the IPS, and WOFF option. We protect our services like Apache, our website and the internet.

We configure the rules for the Windows server, the Linux server, and Apache and AIS.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find most valuable is its protection of the websites.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to generate reports about the protections that we have. I would like a report feature.

For example, I would like to see that in VPN and FortiGate, that the equipment that connects to the network is evaluated. Right now, FortiGate validates the users in the active directory and the users have the right permissions to connect. I would also add the user and the computers that are allowed in the active directory. It evaluates the actual active directory, and some computers are allowed but not all. Only the computers that are in the active directory. Right now, when you connect to the VPN, FortiGate checks the active directory. They have the check feature but it should be improved.

This solution has records but I would like to see that in IPS you could define your rules - we have almost 10 or 15 rules, and see if these rules provided protections over the month. For example, to track a specific rule across the IPS solution.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS for five years and Cisco for about eight years.

Yes, it is stable. The solution protects us from attack. We have heard that other companies are being attacked, but we are not since we installed FortiGate.

The way the configuration was supplied was correct and we don't have any events. But we heard about other, similar companies, that do have events, but we don't.

Fortinet FortiGate IPS is scalable.

In our case, we are a company of 100 employees and we selected a solution for 250, so we didn't have the need to scale because we designed it from the beginning for more people. We are still using it after five years. We have to change the equipment because they don't allow us to migrate to a new version. In the renewable licenses, they offered me a trade-in and I returned the last FortiGate and they gave me the new FortiGate. I have the FortiGate 600D model. After five years we had to change the equipment. With Cisco, for example, you can keep going. I have the same model with Cisco for eight years and I didn't have to change it. But in FortiGate, after five years, I had to trade it in.

The technical support is excellent. I prefer to open a case directly to FortiGate because I can have a session with a technical contact, and we can review the case directly with the support. We also have some protocols, like BGP in the perimeter, and in two cases, I needed the support person to connect me to another person for technical support to help me with our special protocol.

The support is 24 hours.

The initial setup us is easy and friendly.

It took almost a month. In a month, we deployed all the FortiGate with the features and the rules.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Fortinet FortiGate IPS is that it is important to set the right rules and set all the configurations to make them preferred for a partner. The partner makes all the rules that the company needs because if you stay the course, although it's easy and friendly in the beginning, some configurations need a common line and require you to design how it works right around the network. So it is important that you take a partner who has experience with designs and can implement the correct solution for your company.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate IPS a nine

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Trend Micro, Palo Alto Networks and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KhushruMistry
Chief Information Officer and Senior Vice President at Eureka Forbes Ltd
Effective logging method, easy to understand, implement, and maintain.

• "It's simple to operate and use."
  • "The most important feature to have is zero trust, which is lacking in Fortinet FortiGate IPS."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate IPS utilizes the main firewalls.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiGate IPS is a very good firewall. We don't have any complaints, it is doing its job correctly.

The functionality is good.

It's simple to operate and use.

There are various firewalls on the market, but we found Fortinet to be the most appropriate for the structures we have in place for our company. It is simple to comprehend, run, and maintain. The logging method is effective; it provides us with a clear picture of how threats are deflected or avoided.

What needs improvement?

When everything is taken into account, the migration is quite painless. I believe that improvements will continue to come from the fact that as threat vectors get more complex around the world, advanced threat protection and deep packet inspection will become increasingly vital. That is where technology needs to advance much more quickly.

The most important feature to have is zero trust, which is lacking in Fortinet FortiGate IPS.

Zero trust is something that has to be embedded and I would still like to see how Fortinet approaches it.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiGate IPS for a couple of years.

This solution is updated on a regular basis.

The Fortinet FortiGate IPS is an extremely stable product.

I can't speak to scalability because we are getting started with virtual machine-based firewalls. We are transitioning to FortiGate VM.

In our organization, we have 3,000 users.

The technical support is good. They are made up of experienced professionals.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

This solution is maintained by one person. We are using AMC services, which includes multiple people, but we have only chosen one.

During the deployment phase, we always utilize the assistance of an integrator. Working with them was a good experience for us.

The licensing costs are very competitive.

There are no fees in addition to the licensing costs.

When evaluating the solution, we wanted to make sure that it was simple to use, operate, and simple to maintain.

We have done a lot of research because we're bringing in the cloud version. We considered other vendors, but because we already had an on-premises Fortinet with a robust backend monitoring system, we decided that extending Fortinet into the Cloud was the best solution.

Gaining a good understanding of the simplicity of cloud migration will take about two months. It's not so much the implementation as it is the services that support it.

Before proposing a solution, it was critical that they have a progressive awareness of what we have and that they comprehend our requirements.

Because Fortinet was involved, we were reassured that they were acting in our best interests.

We also utilize the VPN with Fortinet, but we intend to go to zero trust in the future, eliminating the need for this dependency.

What other advice do I have?

We are expanding our Fortinet for our cloud security. The VM will be implemented in our public cloud, which is where we operate.

I wouldn't say it's specific to FortiGate; it applies to all firewalls. You should consider the simplicity of the task at hand, as well as the convenience of deployment, maintenance, and, most crucially, the availability of qualified personnel to carry it out. These are the reasons we chose Fortinet.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten.

FR
Sr Technician at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Practically perfect in every way with superior marks for the VPN services

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "We have not had to reach out to FortiGate support yet and that is a pretty good track record."
  • "The VPN used with the product is secure and reliable without lag."
  • "Integration with the antivirus companion Webroot is not seamless on Mac computers."

What is our primary use case?

We just use it for intrusion detection and prevention.

What is most valuable?

I think that the VPN software used through FortiGate is what our clients appreciate the most. They get secure reliable connections without lag.

What needs improvement?

I have been pretty satisfied with the application as it is. I am pleased with the layout and how everything is integrated. Sometimes we will have a client who has a firewall that is not FortiGate, and often times we are able to convince them to switch over to using FortiGate as their solution because of our recommendations.

On a little different subject, the software for antivirus that we usually use with FortiGate is called Webroot. I know that some of our Apple / Mac clients experience some issues with the integration of that product. The integration, in that case, is not seamless. That is an issue that could be addressed.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS (Intrusion Prevention Service) since February of 2020. So that is about seven or eight months.

The FortiGate product is very stable.

We have not scaled the use of the product much during the time that we have used it. Because we have small business clients and we usually are involved in offering other lower-end firewalls, I am not familiar with scaling FortiGate up because our clients are generally not poised for short-term growth. Our clientele is always 500 or fewer employees and so it is a pretty straightforward implementation and common, smaller user group size.

I have not had to reach out to technical support. That is actually one of the reasons why I think we are pretty satisfied with the software and hardware: we have not had to reach out. I am the senior technician here and if I have not had to reach out to FortiGate support yet, that is a pretty good track record.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just click a button and it is there in a short amount of time. Nothing complicated about the setup.

The pricing for FortiGate IPS is competitive with other products in the category.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate FortiGate IPS as a ten-out-of-ten. It is just that good.

JB
Lead Network Solution Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good and stable product with IPS and URL filtering features

• "It is a good product. It does what we want it to do so. I didn't find many false-positives or things like that. We mainly use the IPS and URL filtering features, and they are pretty good."
  • "They can probably improve the reporting feature. Reporting and report alerting are the main key features of this solution. They can always find ways to improve these."

What is our primary use case?

We manage all the IT for airports and airlines. We have some data centers for providing different services, such as tickets, to customers. We use Fortinet FortiGate IPS to secure the environment.

What is most valuable?

It is a good product. It does what we want it to do so. I didn't find many false-positives or things like that. We mainly use the IPS and URL filtering features, and they are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

They can probably improve the reporting feature. Reporting and report alerting are the main key features of this solution. They can always find ways to improve these.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS for four years.

It is doing good in terms of stability. It is a good product and a good feature within the firewall.

We haven't tried to scale it.

I have contacted them. Their technical support is good. They are pretty responsive and knowledgeable.

The initial setup was straightforward. Basically, it is quite easy to set up. You just need to follow the guidelines because they are well-made for Fortinet FortiGate IPS.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a part of the team that is testing the Palo Alto solution. We are only responsible for testing to ensure that it matches what we want, but we are not responsible for making the actual decision. Another team will decide which solution to go for based on the contract in terms of money and other things. Technically, either FortiGate or Palo Alto will be able to provide what we want.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten. It is a good product.

JM
Gerente Regional at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to manage, and offers good regional support

• "Regionally, we are well covered. Technical support is good in this area."
  • "The solution has limited scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We use it, for example, to protect our business application servers so nobody can hack those servers internally and illegally access the information they have.

What is most valuable?

The administration of the solution is the most valuable aspect. It's easy to manage.

Fortinet has a very well distributed team around our region, and the product is pretty stable.

The integration is good.

We like the dashboards.

The pricing is not overly expensive.

I have found the initial setup to be very easy.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to coming across any missing features.

The solution has limited scalability. The sizing is based don't eh scale of the hardware.

I've been dealing with the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while at this point.

The stability so far has been great. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is limited. You have to change the hardware in order to ensure the solution can scale.

Regionally, we are well covered. Technical support is good in this area.

The implementation process is quite straightforward. It's not a complex implementation at all. A company shouldn't have any issues with it.

You only need one person to handle deployment and maintenance tasks. This is typically a technician. You do not need a huge team to manage it.

If you use this solution, within three years, you will get your investment back. It provides a good ROI.

We find the solution to be very reasonably priced overall.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a partner.

I'm pretty sure we have the most updated deployment, however, I'm not sure of the exact version number.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. My experience has been positive in general.

PD
Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good interface, easy to manage, and very stable

• "Its interface is the most valuable. It is quite easy to manage."
  • "Its performance can be better. We have had performance issues in the past, but we sometimes tend to find that it is more related to what we do in our network than anything else. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our end customers. I am a network engineer for a company that looks after airlines.

What is most valuable?

Its interface is the most valuable. It is quite easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its performance can be better. We have had performance issues in the past, but we sometimes tend to find that it is more related to what we do in our network than anything else. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It seems to be very stable.

It is scalable.

We don't really use them. There is plenty of stuff online, and it is more of a learn as you go.

It is quite straightforward, but it can be complex if you are on the cloud. A lot of our customers are cloud-based, and it is a little bit tricky trying to set them up.

It is not expensive as compared to Cisco.

The customer decided what they were going to use. We didn't have a say in it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for the training courses. One good thing about FortiGate is that you have got free training.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve.

Private Cloud
AS
COO at Spincube Inc
Reliable, scalable, easy to setup, and has good security and support

• "The most valuable features are security and vision, and all of the UTM functionality."
  • "The user interface needs a bit of upgrading."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the integral firewall, monitoring, and all types of security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and vision, and all of the UTM functionality.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs a bit of upgrading.

Pricing could be better.

Customers are looking for 24/7 protection, but it's not as critical in the end. The pricing is preventing them for adopting it so they should be competitive.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years

I am working on the most up-to-date version.

It's very stable, it can take a lot.

It's scalable and we have not had any problems at all.

Technical support is very good. I have no issues with them.

Previously, we were using another solution. Fortinet FortiGate IPS, was recommended to us, and once we tried it we liked it and we stuck with it.

I am not happy with WatchGuard.

For me, after using it for six years, the initial setup is easy.

They are more expensive than others.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a lifestyle solution, then FortiGate is my choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Trend Micro, Palo Alto Networks, and more!