Fortinet FortiGate IPS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate IPS is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System: Fortinet FortiGate IPS vs Trend Micro TippingPoint Threat Protection System

What is Fortinet FortiGate IPS?

An intrusion prevention system (IPS) is a critical component of every network’s core security capabilities. It protects against known threats and zero-day attacks including malware and underlying vulnerabilities. Deployed inline as a bump in the wire, many IPS solutions perform deep packet inspection of traffic at wire speed, requiring high throughput and low latency.

Fortinet delivers IPS technology via the industry-validated and recognized FortiGate platform. FortiGate security processors provide unparalleled high performance, while FortiGuard Labs informs industry-leading threat intelligence, creating an IPS with proven success in protecting from known and zero-day threats. As a key component of the Fortinet Security Fabric, FortiGate IPS secures the entire end-to-end infrastructure without compromising performance.

Fortinet FortiGate IPS is also known as FortiGate IPS.

Download the Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Fortinet FortiGate IPS Customers
Riverside Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Dell SecureWorks, Credit Bank Zagreb
Fortinet FortiGate IPS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiGate IPS pricing:
  • "The pricing for FortiGate IPS is competitive with other products in the category."
  • "We are currently evaluating a Palo Alto solution, and the pricing could be a reason for going for Palo Alto."
  • "It is not expensive as compared to Cisco."
  • "They are more expensive than others."
  • "The price is okay, so far so good."

Fortinet FortiGate IPS Reviews

FR
Sr Technician at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Practically perfect in every way with superior marks for the VPN services

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "We have not had to reach out to FortiGate support yet and that is a pretty good track record."
  • "The VPN used with the product is secure and reliable without lag."
  • "Integration with the antivirus companion Webroot is not seamless on Mac computers."

What is our primary use case?

We just use it for intrusion detection and prevention.

What is most valuable?

I think that the VPN software used through FortiGate is what our clients appreciate the most. They get secure reliable connections without lag.

What needs improvement?

I have been pretty satisfied with the application as it is. I am pleased with the layout and how everything is integrated. Sometimes we will have a client who has a firewall that is not FortiGate, and often times we are able to convince them to switch over to using FortiGate as their solution because of our recommendations.

On a little different subject, the software for antivirus that we usually use with FortiGate is called Webroot. I know that some of our Apple / Mac clients experience some issues with the integration of that product. The integration, in that case, is not seamless. That is an issue that could be addressed.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS (Intrusion Prevention Service) since February of 2020. So that is about seven or eight months.

The FortiGate product is very stable.

We have not scaled the use of the product much during the time that we have used it. Because we have small business clients and we usually are involved in offering other lower-end firewalls, I am not familiar with scaling FortiGate up because our clients are generally not poised for short-term growth. Our clientele is always 500 or fewer employees and so it is a pretty straightforward implementation and common, smaller user group size.

I have not had to reach out to technical support. That is actually one of the reasons why I think we are pretty satisfied with the software and hardware: we have not had to reach out. I am the senior technician here and if I have not had to reach out to FortiGate support yet, that is a pretty good track record.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just click a button and it is there in a short amount of time. Nothing complicated about the setup.

The pricing for FortiGate IPS is competitive with other products in the category.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate FortiGate IPS as a ten-out-of-ten. It is just that good.

JB
Lead Network Solution Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good and stable product with IPS and URL filtering features

• "It is a good product. It does what we want it to do so. I didn't find many false-positives or things like that. We mainly use the IPS and URL filtering features, and they are pretty good."
  • "They can probably improve the reporting feature. Reporting and report alerting are the main key features of this solution. They can always find ways to improve these."

What is our primary use case?

We manage all the IT for airports and airlines. We have some data centers for providing different services, such as tickets, to customers. We use Fortinet FortiGate IPS to secure the environment.

What is most valuable?

It is a good product. It does what we want it to do so. I didn't find many false-positives or things like that. We mainly use the IPS and URL filtering features, and they are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

They can probably improve the reporting feature. Reporting and report alerting are the main key features of this solution. They can always find ways to improve these.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate IPS for four years.

It is doing good in terms of stability. It is a good product and a good feature within the firewall.

We haven't tried to scale it.

I have contacted them. Their technical support is good. They are pretty responsive and knowledgeable.

The initial setup was straightforward. Basically, it is quite easy to set up. You just need to follow the guidelines because they are well-made for Fortinet FortiGate IPS.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a part of the team that is testing the Palo Alto solution. We are only responsible for testing to ensure that it matches what we want, but we are not responsible for making the actual decision. Another team will decide which solution to go for based on the contract in terms of money and other things. Technically, either FortiGate or Palo Alto will be able to provide what we want.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten. It is a good product.

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Trend Micro, Cisco and others in Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software (IDPS). Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PD
Network & Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good interface, easy to manage, and very stable

• "Its interface is the most valuable. It is quite easy to manage."
  • "Its performance can be better. We have had performance issues in the past, but we sometimes tend to find that it is more related to what we do in our network than anything else. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our end customers. I am a network engineer for a company that looks after airlines.

What is most valuable?

Its interface is the most valuable. It is quite easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its performance can be better. We have had performance issues in the past, but we sometimes tend to find that it is more related to what we do in our network than anything else. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It seems to be very stable.

It is scalable.

We don't really use them. There is plenty of stuff online, and it is more of a learn as you go.

It is quite straightforward, but it can be complex if you are on the cloud. A lot of our customers are cloud-based, and it is a little bit tricky trying to set them up.

It is not expensive as compared to Cisco.

The customer decided what they were going to use. We didn't have a say in it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for the training courses. One good thing about FortiGate is that you have got free training.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight out of ten. It is quite a good product, and there isn't much to improve.

Private Cloud
AS
COO at Spincube Inc
Reliable, scalable, easy to setup, and has good security and support

• "The most valuable features are security and vision, and all of the UTM functionality."
  • "The user interface needs a bit of upgrading."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the integral firewall, monitoring, and all types of security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and vision, and all of the UTM functionality.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs a bit of upgrading.

Pricing could be better.

Customers are looking for 24/7 protection, but it's not as critical in the end. The pricing is preventing them for adopting it so they should be competitive.

I have been using this solution for approximately six years

I am working on the most up-to-date version.

It's very stable, it can take a lot.

It's scalable and we have not had any problems at all.

Technical support is very good. I have no issues with them.

Previously, we were using another solution. Fortinet FortiGate IPS, was recommended to us, and once we tried it we liked it and we stuck with it.

I am not happy with WatchGuard.

For me, after using it for six years, the initial setup is easy.

They are more expensive than others.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a lifestyle solution, then FortiGate is my choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Bhupinder Sachdeva
Managing Director at ARS Pte Ltd
A security system with a valuable external intrusion prevention feature

• "I like its ability to prevent external intrusion into our database. It's so fun."
  • "It would be better if they had a dashboard where we could see what attacks were happening. It would be good to see who's trying to get into our network."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate IPS as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

I like its ability to prevent external intrusion into our database. It's so fun.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they had a dashboard where we could see what attacks were happening. It would be good to see who's trying to get into our network.

I have been dealing with Fortinet FortiGate IPS for about three months.

Fortinet FortiGate IPS has been stable so far.

It's a scalable solution so far, but we're not a very big organization. We have about ten nodes at the moment.

The initial setup was okay, but I didn't do it.

The implementation was done by some pretty good people.

The price is okay, so far so good.

We evaluated different solutions and chose Fortinet FortiGate IPS because we found it to be the best.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users to buy it. I recommend this solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate IPS an eight.

Ayokunmi Ogundapo
Systems Administrator at Interswitch
Very easy to deploy with a simple, intuitive interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution as a firewall and an IPS. We are customers of Fortigate and I'm an assistant administrator.

What is most valuable?

I like the simplicity of the interface, they seem to have a good grasp of that. The solution is also very easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

I think they could improve the monitoring.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

The solution is stable.

Scalability isn't really an issue as it's a network defense system, and it does it inline on the network. No other users interact with it directly.

How are customer service and technical

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think they could improve the monitoring.

I've been using this solution for almost a year.

The solution is stable.

I think the technical support for this product seems to be better in comparison to other solutions.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

The cost of the solution is very good in the context of other, similar solutions on the market.

What other advice do I have?

For cost effectiveness, they of course have an advantage over the whole firewall DASA series.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

OY
Senior Officer - IT Cyber Security Admin at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Plenty of features, good functionality, but support could improve

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiGate IPS for network security to prevent intrusion.

What is most valuable?

I have found most of the features to be good with excellent functionality.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the configuration, there are times the configuration is missing.

I have been using FortiGate IPS for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

FortiGate IPS scalability is good.

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiGate IPS for network security to prevent intrusion.

What is most valuable?

I have found most of the features to be good with excellent functionality.

What needs improvement?

I have been using FortiGate IPS for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

FortiGate IPS scalability is good.

The support is very poor with FortiGate IPS and they need to look into fixing it. The senior support agent does not honor their commitments when ordering products.

The installation is very easy and the configuration went smoothly. It is user-friendly to configure.

We evaluated other solutions, such as Cyberoam, before choosing FortiGate IPS.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution is to learn the configuration. There are a lot of features to control that should be taken advantage of.

I rate FortiGate IPS a seven out of ten.