AL
GM: Information Systems at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
Its stability is the most valuable, and it is also scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use it to create a WAN. We also use it for the UTM firewall. We don't have the latest versions. We've got the 60Ds and 30E products.

What is most valuable?

Its stability is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

It should provide better visibility over the network and more information in the form of reports for the end users. Its installation should also be easier.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. We use it at five sites, and all in all, we have around 300 users.

We don't deal with…

What is our primary use case?

We use it to create a WAN. We also use it for the UTM firewall.

We don't have the latest versions. We've got the 60Ds and 30E products.

What is most valuable?

Its stability is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about three years.

It is stable.

We don't deal with Fortinet.

It was complex for me, but it was quick.

We had to use an outside resource to set it up.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to move over to Meraki, so we won't be using this solution. I would recommend this solution to others, but it is a matter of preference.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate an eight out of ten.

AM
Chief Information Officer at teamddt
A continuously updated firewall solution with a good antispam filter

• "I like Fortinet FortiGate's antispam filter, SPN, and clustering features."
  • "Application management can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate to implement firewalls for our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like Fortinet FortiGate's antispam filter, SPN, and clustering features.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement. When it comes to email spam detection, Baracuda is the highest or the best, Cisco is the lowest, and Fortinet FortiGate is in the middle. Application management can be improved. Analysis and sandbox can also be improved in the next release.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for around three years.

Scalability can be improved. Compared to Cisco, Fortinet FortiGate's scalability is in a good position.

Fortinet FortiGate offers good technical support services.

The initial setup is straightforward. For example, the SMB solution is straightforward. We have to follow the instructions and customize it as per the customer's request for the enterprise solution.

Fortinet FortiGate's price can be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet FortiGate is highly recommended because they update everything every second.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate a nine.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mauricio Lazaro
Director/Owner at Miodesk
Easy to use, well-priced, and scales to our requirements

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of use."
  • "In the future, I would like to see improvements made to cloud-based management."

What is our primary use case?

We use this firewall as part of our security solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use. It's very simple and this is one of its advantages.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the product updated more frequently.

In the future, I would like to see improvements made to cloud-based management. They already have some features for this, but it's very basic.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for 15 years.

Stability-wise, this is a good solution.

Scalability is good, we have about 5,000 users.

I have never used technical support from the vendor.

We have an internal team for deployment, maintenance, and support.

The price of FortiGate is good.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing FortiGate that it is a great product and easy to use, but be careful which firmware you use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
System Administrator at a media company with 11-50 employees
Provides a high standard of security for our clients

• "We are a visual effects company, and there have been a number of high profile security issues in our industry. This has brought us to a higher standard of security, which our clients are very keen on these days."
  • "We had a minor problem where there was a major system upgrade on the hardware platfrom and the Mac client was not available as soon as it might have been. The PC client was available immediately, but we had to wait a month or so, before there was a mac client. I was slightly irritated that it was not ready on time, but it was eventually resolved."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for external security of our network.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

We had a minor problem where there was a major system upgrade on the hardware platform and the Apple Mac client was not available as soon as it might have been. The PC client was available immediately, but we had to wait a month or so, before there was a Apple Mac client. I was slightly irritated that it was not ready on time, but it was eventually resolved.

Almost two years.

Fortigate has more than adequate capability to cope with everything we require for the foreseeable future.

The support is very good, and we have had no issues.

Previously had a SonicWall. Even allowing for an upgrade discount on the SonicWall, the FortiGate was a more compelling purchase.

It was fairly straightforward.

Anderson Clivati
Specialist of IT Solutions at INTERNEXA
Great anti-malware and web filtering features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution as a security perimeter and for VPN. We are partners of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

I like the anti-malware and web filtering features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more evenly structured and I'd like to see orchestration in the calls included. The solution currently lacks that feature.

I've been using this solution for 12 months.

The stability is great.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good. We rely a lot on the documentation which is a good standard.

Which

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

I like the anti-malware and web filtering features.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for 12 months.

The stability is great.

The solution is scalable.

I previously used Meraki but I prefer Fortinet for its value and software capabilities. It's better than any of the other products in this field.

The initial setup is very easy. Deployment time depends on the complexity of the situation.

We pay an annual license fee - I get a good price on this product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

RW
Documentation Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
User-friendly, stable, and the functionality is logically designed

• "The interface is very user-friendly and I like it very much."
  • "The price of FortiGate should be reduced because there are some other leading products that are cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I used FortiGate only for the firewall.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly and I like it very much.

The functions are designed very logically.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for about one month.

I have not experienced any bugs or glitches.

Scalability-wise, I haven't had any problems. Because of the price, I would say that this product is better for large enterprises.

My colleague set up FortiGate.

Fortinet bundles FortiGate with other products and because of this, the price is a little expensive to some SMB enterprises.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate is the number one solution, both in the global market and the Chinese market. Most of the Chinese market follows FortiGate's news and its roadmap is very popular. I would recommend people buy it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

TN
Sales engineer/Technical support engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Offers SD-WAN functionality with security features in one device

• "The SD-WAN function is very developed. It has SD-WAN functionality with security features in one device. We can manage from one single console SD-WAN and the security policy."
  • "The central management for the FortiGate Fortinet Firewall needs improvement. They have the manager to do the essential management for both SD-WAN and for the security policy. They should also improve the SD-WAN function."

What is our primary use case?

I deploy SD-WAN and we use it for a next-gen firewall.

What is most valuable?

The SD-WAN function is very developed. It has SD-WAN functionality with security features in one device. We can manage from one single console SD-WAN and the security policy. You don't need to buy two separate devices for two functionalities.

You don't need to spend your time on both devices for an SD-WAN and a security firewall device. You only need to manage in one console

What needs improvement?

The central management for the FortiGate Fortinet Firewall needs improvement. They have the manager to do the essential management for both SD-WAN and the security policy. They should also improve the SD-WAN function.

I have been using FortiGate for five years.

Their support is good. They are experts.

I think the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FortiGate an eight out of ten. They should improve the SD-WAN and central data management center.

JG
Junior Support Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
A superior solution for endpoint security

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for marketing and manipulation purposes. Within our organization, there are roughly 500 people using this solution. At the moment, we don't have any plans to extend our usage of this solution — currently, we are happy with the way things are.

What is most valuable?

The next-generation firewall is great.

What needs improvement?

The captive portal could be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is very stable.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for marketing and manipulation purposes.

Within our organization, there are roughly 500 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The next-generation firewall is great.

What needs improvement?

The captive portal could be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is very stable.

I have never had to contact customer support. We have a team that handles all of the troubleshooting; however, they do provide excellent documentation.

The initial setup was very easy.

At the moment, we don't have a deployment strategy.

We have a team of three people who handle all maintenance-related issues.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate a rating of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.