PH
President at Integral Design Software
Reasonably-priced, intuitive, and offers a seamless VPN

• "Using this product makes the VPN seamless and almost invisible to me in the sense that I don't have to think about it."
  • "The initial setup and configuration are not intuitive and require training."

What is our primary use case?

I am primarily using FortiGate to provide a hardware VPN or an equipment base of VPN to a central office. I am only using a small fraction of its capabilities, so I'm not pushing it at the edges.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product makes the VPN seamless and almost invisible to me in the sense that I don't have to think about it.

What is most valuable?

Once it is in use, it is intuitive to use. Once it's in place, it doesn't require any further interaction.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and configuration are not intuitive and require training.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately four months.

The stability has been rock-solid, and I haven't seen any glitches or bugs at all.

With only two people in the company, we haven't needed to scale. Our roles include software development and providing technical support for various clients.

I have not needed to contact technical support.

This is the first firewall product that I have used.

The initial setup is fairly technical and it's not something the untrained person would want to do. You need to know what you're doing in order to set it up.

The price of FortiGate is reasonable. In terms of the market, it's not a cheap product, but it's cost-effective.

I purchased this product because this is the one that the central office supports.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product, it works, it doesn't need any attention, and I'm satisfied with it. Although the initial setup is slightly complex, security is a complex question and I'm not sure that it can be simplified.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

JH
Engineer at The Learning Network
A very stable firewall and numerous functions we use on the IPS; good interface

• "We use a lot of function on the IPS and it works well for us."
  • "A lack of integration between our data centers."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for the firewall and IPS; the security on behalf of our network, to support north and south traffic. We are customers of Fortinet and I'm a systems engineer.

What is most valuable?

The firewall is stable and that's important. There are a lot of functions we use on the IPS and it works well for us. It's stable, the interface works for me.

What needs improvement?

We currently have two on-premise data centers with several separate firewall units and unfortunately they don't connect with each other. We'll likely migrate to Azure in the next two years because of that.

I've been using this product for about seven years.

This is a stable solution.

For the traffic we have all five firewalls. The log is minimal with the traffic, which is going over the firewall and we don't require a lot of scalability.

We have support in the Netherlands, direct contact with our partner but not with Fortinet. For big changes and difficult issues I can get extended support from a partner. I do the simple fixes myself.

I've used a heap of different products. I've worked with Palo Alto and also with Fortinet. From experience, I prefer Palo Alto, but for the business I'm working in now, Fortinet is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I've had great experience with Palo Alto but I think Fortinet FortiGate is also a great solution. Some time ago we upgraded to the Fortinet solution of our previous partner and there was a memory leak which created problems. Our firewalls crashed multiple times a day and we had a lot of issues. I think the issue was a systems error and it shouldn't have been deployed. It's all very stable now.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rishi Vanarse
Manager - IT at Mosambee - Synergistic Financial Networks
Provides zero-day protection against undiscovered malware and vulnerabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are dealing in the payment business where we provide services to end-users, and FortiGate is part of our security solution. The customers swipe their cards into our product, which transmits the data through another server to the acquirer or bank. The server is hosted behind the FortiGate firewall, so all of the traffic that comes in and out goes through the firewall policies, intrusion detection, and instruction prevention systems.

What is most valuable?

We use the FortiGate Sandbox to detect zero-day vulnerabilities, such as anomalies or malware, that are unknown and have not yet been discovered.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see a better training platform implemented.

We have been using…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We would like to see a better training platform implemented.

We have been using Fortinet FortiGate for the past five years.

This is a scalable solution. We are able to integrate new products and different payment options. As new projects come in, we are looking for a hybrid setup that will incorporate the cloud.

We have been in contact with technical support and I find them to be good. We've had no issues with them.

We are continuing to use FortiGate but we are in the process of upgrading to the 200E and 300E enterprise firewall.

The initial setup was complex. We had to connect it and set up the PCI DSS compliance. To maintain this, there are a lot of things that have to be done on a regular basis. This includes scanning and hardening the servers, then rescanning. Initially, it is very complex.

We have the FortiGate firewall in our environment, and we are using network segmentation. Based on the segmentation, there are policies. Based on the policies, the traffic to the critical components is monitored and goes through the IDS/IPS antivirus profile. We also have hosted applications, so a basic DDoS and WAP are configured.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MichaelZhang
IT Director at Guangdong Technion Institute of Technology
Includes an antivirus, IPS, and even SD-WAN

• "The notable features that I have found most valuable are that it includes the antivirus, and also IPS, and even SD-WAN."
  • "FortiGate support could do some improvements on their IPv6 configuration. Right now it's still in the very early stage for utilizing in an enterprise level network environment."

What is our primary use case?

This Fortinet product is a firewall system, acting as our perimeter firewall. Generally speaking we use this system as a security product to defend from any attacks and to protect our internal network. We are very happy with the security features afforded by this product.

What is most valuable?

The notable features that I have found most valuable are that it includes the antivirus, IPS, and even SD-WAN.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the FortiGate support could do some improvements on their IPv6 configuration. Right now it's still in the very early stage for utilizing in an enterprise level network environment

In terms of the FortiGate IPS, we haven't gotten additional tools because they are not free, and we have to purchase them to maximize this IPS feature. As long as they can perform some basic functions to meet our business needs, that is okay. I'm okay with this feature right now, so far.

In the next release of FortiGate the price could be better.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate since May of 2018.

This product is very stable.

Fortinet FortiGate is a very scalable product.

It is managed by the IT department, so only they use it.

Their support is quite good.

The initial setup is quite simple.

Not including the preparation, setup took about three days to just unpack them, connect it to the power, power it on, and do some initial configuration. That's just the three days, but we took about two weeks for the preparation and planning.

We had an external partner to help us and to work together with us to do the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would give Fortinet FortiGate an eight.

RJ
Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
MSP
Scalable solution with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution primarily for the VPN connections in local area. In some cases, I use it at universities in order to secure the local network in the university, such as servers and backup devices. I have also used the solution as a load balancer and the EMS functionality, which I use as a controller for wireless devices.

What needs improvement?

The PPPoE server protocol with a connection to a Radius server is used a lot by ISPs and not so much by the end user. I think it would be great to see this solution with the protocol developed for ISPs.

I have been using the solution for more than two or three years.

The solution is scalable.

How are

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for more than two or three years.

The solution is scalable.

There are some problems that support cannot give you a logical reason as to why it happened. For example, I had a case where I was dealing with a WhatsApp application that was giving issues. Technical support gave more than one reason it could be giving issues, but none of them solved the problem. Eventually I solved the problem, but it was far from the solutions that support had given.

Before choosing Fortigate, I was using Cisco and pfSense.

The initial setup was very easy and straightforward.

The time it takes to setup the solution depends on the case. It may take less than a day or more than two months, it depends on the technology that is being used. For example, a hospital I am working with has 20 switches with two firewalls, but there are issues in the physical place and not in Fortinet. In this case, the environment limits the speed of setup.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FortiGate a nine out of ten.

SN
Product Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Flexible and easy to use, with good support, but they should introduce security at the packet level

• "FortiGate is flexible and easy to use."
  • "Fortinet currently has many products bundled with FortiGate including the basic firewall and load balancer, and I think that that they need to have separate product portfolios for each of these specialized services."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as a perimeter firewall and also in the role of a firewall as a service for our cloud.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate is flexible and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet currently has many products bundled with FortiGate including the basic firewall and load balancer, and I think that that they need to have separate product portfolios for each of these specialized services. When it comes to large deployments, I don't think it's a good plan to have all of these services in a single box.

I think that they should introduce in-line security at the packet level, where they can do filtering and other firewall functions. It should not comes down to the infrastructure level but rather, offer services at the ISP level.

We have been using FortiGate for the past four to five years.

This is a stable product.

This product is scalable and as a service provider, we extend our usage to external customers. There are many users on the platform.

We have premium support from Fortinet and it is quite good.

We used their Professional Services for the initial installation.

We have a large in-house team for maintenance, although I am not sure how many are dedicated to this particular product.

The price of FortiGate is average and I would say that based on the top five products available on the market, it is in the affordable range.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AN
System Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Affordable, simple, effective, and has good support

• "The most valuable features are that it is very simple to configure and to manage."
  • "In the next release, maybe the documentation on how to use this solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is as a firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

The way the rules are created and set up on our firewall is very quick, very simple, and does not take a lot of time. It allows us to spend more time in other areas.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

For me, this solution has nothing to improve and it meets the needs that I have. I don't see any way to improve, at least from my point of view on regular use.

What I have noticed is that when we have done some configurations directly from the command line, there is not a lot of information regarding splitting.

I have been using this solution for six years.

We are using the latest version.

This is a stable product.

Fortinet FortiGate is very scalable.

We are satisfied with technical support. We have not had any issues.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

We used a reseller to help us with the implementation.

Pricing is very competitive. It's cheap for what it offers and for what it does.

It's very affordable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

Fortinet FortiGate is simple and effective.

I would rate Fortinet Fortigate a nine out of ten.

QV
IT Infrastructure managerInformation an Communication Services Manager at a agriculture with 5,001-10,000 employees
Great load balancing feature, secure and stable

• "Good load balancing feature."
  • "We have an issue with hotel guest vouchers."

What is our primary use case?

We've used this solution for the guest portal for our client and we also use it to secure the network of our firm. I am the IT infrastructure manager and we are customers of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that we don't have to use our IP address and that it roams. I also like the load balancing feature which allows you to attach several internet connections and load balance.

What needs improvement?

We have an issue with the license when it expires because we're unable to use the computers. We are in the hotel industry and there's an issue with vouchers when guests come in wanting to use them.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It's a stable solution. We had some issues after we upgraded but on the whole it's stable.

We don't have scalability requirements so I can't comment.

We had some issues with the local support, particularly with regard to purchasing the subscription. It took a very long time and at one point the license had expired and it took a while to sort out.

The initial setup is simple and doesn't take much time.

This is an affordable solution.

FortiGate is the most effective solution for us and it's a cheaper option to Check Point or Palo Alto which we looked at. They are both very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.