Fortinet FortiGate Reviews

Fortinet FortiGate is the #1 ranked solution of our best firewalls. It's rated 4.3 out of 5 stars, and is most commonly compared to Cisco ASA Firewall - Fortinet FortiGate vs Cisco ASA Firewall

reviewer1266459
Network Security Engineer at a performing arts with 201-500 employees
Nov 10, 2020

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall.

• There are great templates, so you don't have to customize them if you don't want to. You do have the option to custom create some folders and some reports, however, with what is there, you don't really need to go through extra effort, as they already give you a lot of predefined views of reports and so forth.
  • There are SD-WAN network monitoring, SD-WAN features, Industrial Databases, Internet of Things, Detection, etc., however, we do have not licenses for those features. We thought that if you bought a product, you should have all of the features it offers. Why should you need to make so many extra purchases to enable features? They should have one price for the entire offering.

What other advice do I have?

We are strictly a government entity. We are a customer. The model that we are using is the 500E, which is for small and medium enterprises. We are not a big institution. We do not have the latest version. We like to wait about three months before we apply anything new to make sure the early releases aren't flawed. After three months, after we've got a good review, then we will say, "Okay, let's upgrade to that version." Even though we feel that sometimes they create a new version to take care of a vulnerability or threat, we like to be safe and avoid bugs. The version that we are fitting… more »
Chingiz Abdukarimov
Director at a integrator with 11-50 employees
User
Top 5Popular
Oct 30, 2020

What is our primary use case?

We used FG-90D as UTM device to protect some users and servers, and also to enable inter-vlan routing with advanced security policies inside our lab zone. Also used FG-500D in transparent mode in front of Cisco ASA for advanced and high performance protection by applying IPS, AV, AntiSpam, App.Control and DoS-protection profiles.

• Advanced routing (RIP, OSPF, BGP, PBR). It gives you a seamless and simple integration into a large network.
  • I think there could be more QoS features

Cost and Licensing Advice

• Setup cost may be not so low, as you expect, because it depends on different factors, but TCO for 5 years may pleasantly surprise you.

What other advice do I have?

Many interesting things are hidden in CLI, they can help you in different situations. Web-interface (GUI) is primarily intended for day-to-day routine. Don't underestimate FortiAnalyzer. It can give you a better understanding of what is going on in your network. When FortiGate sends logs to FortiAnalyzer, FortiAnalyzer inserts received log data into database. Predefined and customizable data queries, charts and reports can significantly help you by visualizing problem points, so you can thoroughly investigate security events and traffic behavior anomalies. FortiGate is a constantly evolving… more »
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2020.
446,626 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer951024
Director of IT with 51-200 employees
Nov 1, 2020

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution as a firewall. It's our main firewall, but we're planning to replace it with a pfSense for reasons I will discuss.

• It's super reliable. I don't think I've ever had a reliability issue with it.
  • Monitoring and reporting could be better.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• I think that the pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate a rating of nine. Other than the price and the lack of extensibility and transparency (which is inherent in any proprietary platform); if you're going to compare it to pfSense, then I would not give it a nine. I would give it an eight, and I would give pfSense a 10. pfSense has its drawbacks, but not that many, in my opinion. Take the time to learn the platform and you won't run into trouble later. That's my advice. Other than that, it's super solid, super reliable. It does the job.
Neal Tipton
Consultant at MT Pockets Computers
Feb 13, 2019

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for intrusion detection and prevention.

• We use a southern institution that's audited for IT security and the reporting that automatically comes off the unit makes it much easier to meet compliance standards and makes it easier as far as the amount of time that has to be spent to compile that information. If you get your reporting set up correctly when you initially set it up, you just select the one you want and hit print. The auditing trail on it is the best feature.
  • They should make the rule sets more understandable for the end user. When you're trying to explain to somebody how a computer network is secured, sometimes it's difficult for an end user or customer to understand. If there was a way to make the terminology more accessible to the end user, the set up could be easier. They should translate the technical jargon to an easily relatable and understandable conversation for the end user, the customer, that would be brilliant. Particularly in an environment where the IT structure is audited regularly, there's always pressure from the auditor to up the standards and up the security and you get your USCERT's that come out and there's a warning about this and the customer will want to lock out so much and when you apply it they run into issue where they can't search the internet or print to their remote office. Of course they can't print to your remote office, they just locked it up. They should make the language more understandable for the customer. If there's a product out there that made the jargon understandable to John Q. Public, I would buy that.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• The initial setup is super straight forward and as far as the licensing goes for the small product that we have, the pricing was pretty competitive. It wasn't as simple and as cheap as a SonicWall but for the service we would get it was a good price.

What other advice do I have?

There's a setup guide on the Fortigate website that is a video that is far better than the written manual that is provided. If you've set up other products before, that may get you through, but the training on their website was far more useful to me than the user manual. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
VeerSharma
Branch Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Apr 15, 2019

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to manage bandwidth for our customers. This is done by setting the appropriate firewall rules and policies.

• This solution made it very easy to manage our bandwidth.
  • Compared to some other products, the DLP is not at par for the moment.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• I would say that all things considered, the pricing is pretty good.

What other advice do I have?

We look for a couple of things when selecting a vendor or product. First, we look at the user interface and figure out whether it is easy to manage. We also consider the price because we do not want to overpay. That said, price is not our number one priority; user manageability is. We have been using a pretty wide range of products. We have used models such as the Fortinet FortiGate-30E, 51E, 90D, and 200D. They are all pretty good at doing the job that they are configured for. Obviously, the firewall sizing has to be done right, but if the product sizing is done correctly then they will never… more »
UzairBaig
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 14, 2020

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Fortigate is one of the firewalls that we implement for our clients. I am a solution architect. Our primary use for this firewall is the IPS.

• The most important feature, normally for small business customers, is link load balancing.
  • If they had better integration with security products, such as Cisco ISE or Rapid Threat Containment, then it would be an improvement.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• If you purchase a one-year subscription with the hardware and then you want to renew for the second year, it is very costly.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate is a product that we recommend and we have migrated many customers from other vendors. FortiGate is a better option, although small customers don't care much about security. They only care about basic security. There are only a very few who are really concerned about it and most of them don't have a proper IT group in their company. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1116360
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 3, 2020

What is our primary use case?

I'm primarily using the solution for security purposes, and also for managing the network for various companies. I am deploying it for uniting management statuses, in order to be able to manage everything inside and to control security policies. It can fight against attacks to the system or for email searches. It is basically a central management security appliance.

• The pricing is excellent. It's much less expensive than Cisco.
  • The initial setup is complex.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the 200E in our environment. We had 200D before. We're not using the latest version of the solution, which is 6.4. I like to wait on new versions to see if it is stable before deploying it. I like to take my time and avoid headaches where possible. I would recommend the product to other organizations. It's got great bundle options which make it a very good choice - and it's much cheaper than Cisco.
Vineeth Babu P
IT System Administrator at emirates hospital
Apr 20, 2019

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate mainly for web filtering and site-to-site VPN connectivity. We establish filters based on the type of application for filtering purposes.

• The most important features with FortiGate are the web filter and application controls. We can control our internet usage and use the web filter for application purposes.
  • Some features of Fortinet FortiGate are actually fee enabled that are inconvenient for deploying in production. Other issues relate to isolation with Cisco products and your server.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of rating, Fortinet FortiGate will come in with an eight out of ten. We are satisfied with the product overall.
See 46 more Fortinet FortiGate reviews

What is Fortinet FortiGate?

The FortiGate family of NG firewalls provides proven protection with unmatched performance across the network, from internal segments, to data centers, to cloud environments. FortiGates are available in a large range of sizes and form factors and are key components of the Fortinet Security Fabric, which enables immediate, intelligent defense against known and new threats throughout the entire network.

Also known as
FortiGate 60b, FortiGate 60c, FortiGate 80c, FortiGate 50b, FortiGate 200b, FortiGate 110c, FortiGate
Fortinet FortiGate customers

Pittsburgh Steelers, LUSH Cosmetics, NASDAQ, Verizon, Arizona State University, Levi Strauss & Co.

Whitepaper and case studies here

Read Archived Reviews
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.