Fortinet FortiGate SWG OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiGate SWG is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Cisco Umbrella: Fortinet FortiGate SWG vs Cisco Umbrella

What is Fortinet FortiGate SWG?

As Enterprises continue to rearchitect their WAN Edge with rapid migration of applications to the cloud, the attack surface at the remote sites/branch locations continues to increase. This risk is especially high for web-based traffic, as web-based threat continue to be one of the primary attack vectors. As attack techniques become more advanced and versatile, organizations need an integrated approach to secure against external and internal risks. Fortinet's secure web gateway provides flexible deployment options to protect against internet-based threats without compromising on end-user experience.

Fortinet FortiGate SWG is also known as FortiGate SWG, FortiGate Secure Web Gateway.

Download the Secure Web Gateways (SWG) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Fortinet FortiGate SWG Customers
Salt Lake County, Catholic College Bendigo, Azienda Unita Sanitaria
Fortinet FortiGate SWG Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiGate SWG pricing:
  • "It is less expensive than a Cisco solution."
  • "It is around $50,000 per month."
  • "The price is relatively expensive compared to other solutions which are providing similar features."
  • "There is a need to pay for a license for the product."

Fortinet FortiGate SWG Reviews

MM
IT Engineering Manager at Mission Critical Partners
Easier to configure than other solutions, really reliable, and scalable

• "It is simpler to configure. It is not like Cisco Firepower, where you go crazy trying to follow the Cisco documentation to figure out how to configure one little thing. Unlike Cisco Firepower, where you can't do everything through the web interface and you have got to do some command line stuff, Fortinet FortiGate SWG is simpler. There are four different things in Cisco to get in, which is not the case with Fortinet FortiGate SWG. It is one of my favorite solutions to work with. I would much rather work with it than Cisco Firepower, for example. Even though I've got 20 years of Cisco experience with different firewalls, I would much prefer this solution."
  • "Their technical support could be improved a little bit in terms of responsiveness."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use it to protect their network. They're into public safety. They're police, fire, and EMS, and they're very concerned about security and what gets in and what doesn't get into their networks. We have got another client for whom we're deploying 30 firewalls in HA pairs over a huge network. That, of course, is a Cisco setup, not FortiGate.

Everybody is cranking up on security to find new ways to block and protect not just the inbound but also the outbound traffic. They want to protect what goes out. They also want to protect DMZs and all that kind of stuff.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost three years.

For me, so far, it is fire and forget. You just set it up, and you really don't have to mess with it. It has been really reliable. It hasn't gone down, and I haven't had any outages.

It is scalable.

Technical support is okay. It, of course, depends on the kind of contract that you have. I've had better support from Cisco than from Fortinet when I'm having a problem that I can't figure out. Fortinet support is not bad, and they do get to the solution. However, they can be a little bit more responsive. That's the nice thing with Cisco. When you've got a network down issue, and they can get people on the phone immediately, and they stay with you until it is done. I find Fortinet's documentation better than Cisco's documentation.

We didn't have anything before, so this was brand new.

It is fairly straightforward. The only complexity to it is that it has a little bit longer setup than the old generation firewall thing, where you slap an IP address on the outside and the inside interface and turn it on, and you're going to have a basic firewall. You have got to go through several configuration steps to get it to a good base setup.

It is less expensive than a Cisco solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are brand new to this solution, you're going to want to read the documentation and follow it while setting it up because otherwise, you will miss something. To use this solution, you've got to know what you're doing. You can't just take someone who is a decent network guy and expect him to figure out what he has to do. It isn't that simple.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate SWG an eight out of ten.

AlexisRico
Data Center Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Very secure, stable, and scalable

• "The security for endpoints is the most valuable. It is very secure for our workers. It allows us to secure a transaction and enable security for a specific segment in the workflow."
  • "I would like the deployment and integration of this product to be easier. We should be able to deploy the features more easily and have different types of access. It should be easier to integrate. Currently, we need to develop APIs to use this interface."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to secure connections for communication. This solution is deployed on the cloud and on-premises. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The security for endpoints is the most valuable. It is very secure for our workers. It allows us to secure a transaction and enable security for a specific segment in the workflow.

What needs improvement?

I would like the deployment and integration of this product to be easier. We should be able to deploy the features more easily and have different types of access. It should be easier to integrate. Currently, we need to develop APIs to use this interface.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is very stable.

Its scalability is good. We have 1,000 users of this solution in our organization. Currently, our usage of this solution is 50%.

They have 24/7 support.

We were using a different solution, and we switched because of the security and price.

It was complex earlier, but it is not that complex now. It took us about 24 hours to implement it. It was quick. It is integrated with the services that our IT team has. We have all the high-value services, such as support services, monitoring services, and integration services.

It is around $50,000 per month.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate SWG an eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Netskope and others in Secure Web Gateways (SWG). Updated: October 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ashok Lamsal
Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Overall beneficial features, scalable, but configuration could be made easier

• "The overall features of Fortinet FortiGate SWG are good."
  • "The solution could improve by having some additional features, such as IBS and better cloud administration."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiGate SWG as a security package tool for many of its features, such as analyzing and VPN services.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us have control over our network. We are able to put in place traffic restrictions and have a visualization of what is happening in the network.

What is most valuable?

The overall features of Fortinet FortiGate SWG are good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having some additional features, such as IBS and better cloud administration. Additionally, the web and DMC features are not very good.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

I have found the new releases tend to have bugs making them not stable. The solution should be less memory and CPU-reliant.

The scalability is good.

We have been satisfied with the technical support.

We have run into some problems with the configuration that could be made simpler. Additionally, when migrating there can be some difficulties.

The price is relatively expensive compared to other solutions which are providing similar features.

We have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended this solution to others.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate SWG seven out of ten.

NB
Consultant senior IT at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Having the same functionality, whether deploying a small or large firewall, is very beneficial

• "It has the same functionalities throughout the range of products."
  • "They have not yet extended to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are integrators and I'm a senior consultant.

What is most valuable?

The best part of this product is that you have the same functionalities throughout the range of products, whether you deploy a small firewall or a big one, it's the same and you have the same functionality almost, so that's one of the benefits. You can also configure all your firewalls, and set them up in one box and use every interface for LAN1 or any kind of usage.

What needs improvement?

From my point of view, I think Fortinet has to extend the solution into the cloud and provide all the security features from the cloud and not be dependent on the firewall appliances. It would be much easier for them and for the customers. I'd like to see all the security features on the cloud in the next release.

I've been using this solution for a few years.

This is a stable solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

SE
Network Security Engineer at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Good performance and simple management

What is our primary use case?

We consider the solution to be useful. It is utilized solely for IPS web application. This we filter, as the basic features related to next-generation firewall are being employed, including IPS, application ID and filter, web application and annex.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good and the solution is simple to manage.

What needs improvement?

The solution has many heightened points which we cannot get to without working on CLI. There are many features but these are hidden.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate SWG for nearly one year.

The solution is scalable.

The…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good and the solution is simple to manage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate SWG for nearly one year.

The solution is scalable.

The solution is stable.

The technical support is acceptable.

The installation is straightforward.

It took ten minutes.

There is a need to pay for a license for the product.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is cloud-based.

I would recommend it to others.

I cannot tell you how many customers are using it.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate SWG as an eight out of ten.