MV
Team leader technical support at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
A complete ecosystem with good scalability, performance, and support

• "Its performance is adequate. We are quite satisfied with its performance. The fact that it is a complete ecosystem with all kinds of integrations is valuable. It did take us a couple of months to get a grip on the new software, but all in all, it replaced our on-premise and single-point solution environment."
  • "It would be useful to have integration with different reporting tools. This is something we are sorely missing. It would be a plus to have reporting integrations. It would be good to have more integration with the identity suites, such as Office 365 and Azure Active Directory, of different providers that we use. Integrations are already available, but it would be nice to have some more advanced options."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to separate our office environment from our training courses and customer environment.

We have on-premise and cloud deployments. We use the on-premise version for the functionality for our local network, and we use the cloud-based solution to provide the same functionality for our cloud-hosted workspaces. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its performance is adequate. We are quite satisfied with its performance.

The fact that it is a complete ecosystem with all kinds of integrations is valuable. It did take us a couple of months to get a grip on the new software, but all in all, it replaced our on-premise and single-point solution environment.

What needs improvement?

It would be useful to have integration with different reporting tools. This is something we are sorely missing. It would be a plus to have reporting integrations.

It would be good to have more integration with the identity suites, such as Office 365 and Azure Active Directory, of different providers that we use. Integrations are already available, but it would be nice to have some more advanced options.

I have been using this solution since 2015 or 2016.

It is stable.

It is very scalable. In terms of the number of users, we have about 300 employees and 300 daily on-premise customers.

We have plans to increase its usage. We are looking at the high-availability options for our branch offices.

Most of the technical support is provided by our support partner, but there have been some instances when I interacted with their technical support. They have been most satisfactory.

Its initial installation wasn't really that hard. It was very much doable. It was a scaled rollout, which makes it a bit hard to measure.

We did get some help from our network support partner. We initially needed extra help for the deployment. We didn't require any help later on.

To support an environment of this size, two people are good enough. If this is the sole focus of their job, then even a single person would be enough.

There is a support fee that can be bought on a yearly or two-yearly basis. I don't think they do five years. The best benefit is that the same pricing is guaranteed for that duration. If you can afford it, I would recommend using the longest possible time span.

We compared it with Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. I was advised to be very skeptical about the performance statistics as indicated in the documentation, but I didn't find that to be the case. It is very scalable with good performance.

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten.

AR
IT Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable, with great technical support and excellent firewall capabilities

• "Overall, it's an excellent solution."
  • "The key activation is very complicated at times."

What is our primary use case?

You can use the balance of FortiGate for an HTTP server, for example. It's not a total solution like a firewall, however, you have a lot of structure within it for normal firewalls or next-generation firewalls. FortiGate is the firewall for Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's an excellent solution.

The solution is largely very stable.

Technical support has been good.

The firewall capabilities are very good.

What needs improvement?

The key activation is very complicated at times. For example, when you use it for different customers, due to the fact that they are linked with one customer or another, you need an account. Sometimes the customer doesn't have the account, or they confuse the key. It derails the process a bit. It would be ideal if they could simplify or streamline the process.

The internal logs could be easier to manage. When you handle debugging sometimes you have some trouble seeing the whole of a packet that crossed the firewall. Luckily, I have a lot of expertise and therefore can work within these shortcomings. However, it would be easier if there was more visibility.

I've used the solution for five years at this point. I've used it for a while.

It's very stable. I remember only one case in which we had issues with a routing protocol. This was the big problem that I had with FortiGate, as they had some issues and they reduced the equipment. However, in the last five years, it was the one lone situation that I opened a case for and they took a lot of time to get to the solution, which was an SBS and BGP routing protocol into the FortiGate. That said, that issue was on an appliance, not a VM solution.

One of the primary clients we have that uses the solution is a bank. They utilize it for internal services.

The technical support is good. For me, it's a simple process in that you open a case, and, depending on your contract, normally they respond quickly and their help normally is good. I would say I am satisfied with the level of support they offer to clients.

What other advice do I have?

I work with a service provider and he sells service in cloud and FortiGate products, including FortiGate VMs. With this, he sells services, and I work with him on support and initial configurations or deactivations for customers.

I work with various versions of the solution, the latest being 7.7.

We use a variety of deployments, including on-premise and in public clouds. Not an American public cloud, however. Rather, it's a public cloud here in South America.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. the product is excellent and I am very happy with it overall.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Swapnil Talegaonkar
Technology consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good antivirus solution that can handle much traffic, but lacks GUI features

• "In spite of the solution being inexpensive, it has everything one would need."
  • "There are certain GUI features that should be present but are not."

What is our primary use case?

The version I am using, 6.2.8., is not the latest. It's a somewhat older version and has not yet been upgraded.

We have configured our use cases to be those of a banking environment. We have enabled the use of the firewall solution for our 300 branches.

What is most valuable?

The solution has pretty awesome features. It supports at least 300 of our branches. We have yet to come across any issues concerning the 300 branches we have configured, a high number which equates many connections. This means that the solution can handle that much traffic. This is a feature of the firewall that we appreciate, as well as that of antivirus. In spite of the solution being inexpensive, it has everything one would need.

What needs improvement?

There are certain GUI features that should be present but are not, although these we can address through the command-line interface. We have to make use of this to create certain policies or change the interface layer. These configuration restrictions should be addressed.

Moreover, the reporting should be upgraded, as there are only a small number of reports available. We also encounter issues on the logging pages. GUI does not allow for live logging and the command-line interface must be used in its stead. The need to rely on CLI should be done away with entirely.

While we consider the solution to be user-friendly, certain improvements should be made in this respect.

I have been using Fortinet Fortigate-VM for the past two years.

The solution is extremely reliable. As mentioned, it is being used in 300 branches and no issues have arisen.

The solution is scalable, although I have not attempted to undertake further plugins or additions.

We have had no issues with the technical support. We have found them to be good, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Other solutions I have used in the past include Check Point and Palo Alto.

The initial setup is straightforward, although the configurations can occasionally become involved.

At present, the SD-WAN licenses are on an annual basis.

We have no specific complaints about the licensing prices.

What other advice do I have?

I am on the implementation team, meaning that we configure the firewalls for our customers, mostly consisting of the BFSI banks and accounting for 2,000 people who make use of the solution.

I cannot proffer advice to others who are considering implementation of the solution. All I can say is that it is straightforward and simple, only requiring configuration.

I rate Fortinet Fortigate-VM as a seven out of ten.

Rupsan-Shrestha
Associate Pre Sales at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
High visibility, great overall support, and has plenty of features

• "The most valuable features are locking applications from in and out of my test network and testing malware on different devices. I use malware detection, antivirus, and basic firewall policies to check for different types of security breaches. The UI is really nice and easy to use."
  • "I have had a data issue with physical devices that could improve."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for testing the protection, but not in a production environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The Security Fabric feature is beneficial allowing us to have centralized visibility of all our devices and traffic on our network in one place. This is not typically offered on traditional firewalls.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I have had a data issue with physical devices that could improve.

I have been using this solution for a few months.

The solution is stable in terms of performance, but I have faced some issues with memory. The solution does not use the creation memory approach, that other vendors do, or what you would normally find in these kinds of devices. I think it is because the memory gets over-utilized a lot is why I am having the issue with the memory.

In my previous employment, I used to work with approximately six people, and we were responsible to monitor and manage FortiGate itself. I most recently switched my employment and in this particular role, there are approximately five other testers using this solution.

I am satisfied with all of the support for this solution. They have great documentation that is well written of everything that you need to know, such as UI functionality. There are different guides for many things that are really helpful. The technical support is really good.

Before installation, you are able to download the solution online based on the platform you are planning to use it on. For example, if you are going to use it on ESXi, Hyper-V, or AWS, you will have a separate specific installer file for each. The installer is based on the platform you are trying to install it on.

If you have some experience with using virtual technologies or virtualizing software, it is not that complicated to do the installation. For beginners, it might get a little complex or complicated because you have to replicate the properties of a physical device in a virtual container.

What other advice do I have?

For firewall devices, Fortinet is very good. They can improve on other solutions, I have used some solutions in the past that did not have a good UI. There are other things that Fortinet as a whole can focus on.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate-VM a nine out of ten.

Nour Ikrazah
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good security and fair pricing but require knowledge of command line coding

• "The pricing of the solution is good."
  • "The block, the clarity, the quarantine command, is not very user-friendly. You would have to do everything through the command line and I would have preferred if it wasn't a CLI."

What is our primary use case?

Originally, I used the solution for a graduation project. I'll soon be using it in a new context.

What is most valuable?

My favorite feature that I enjoyed using is the SD-WAN, the application control, the IPS&IDS, and Security Fabric (which I enjoyed the most because of the visibility it offers of your whole Network) .

It's less complicated than other firewalls. FortiGate is less complicated and it's guaranteed. By guarantee I mean better control against the attack surface because no firewall 100% guarantee that you won't be attacked.

With security Fabric, I was able to see everything that was going on. The visibility it provided was excellent.

The pricing of the solution is good.

We've found the solution to be relatively stable.

What needs improvement?

There's this command in the email of service policy that you add for the email of service policy. It's hard to do in reality. It could be made easier.

The block, the clarity, the quarantine command, is not very user-friendly. You would have to do everything through the command line and I would have preferred if it wasn't a CLI.

I used it for a few months to a year ago and am beginning to use it again.

It is stable. In security, we handle shortouts and blackouts. Never in my time have we had a blackout, however, if you lose power, you do lose the whole firewall, which is bad.

I've never dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I have, however, used their tech demonstrations to learn about the product. That's helpful in terms of understanding, however, dealing with support directly has never come up.

While I typically work with Fortigate, I'm still learning to work with Cisco Firepower.

The pricing is fairly reasonable. Compared to the pricing of other firewalls, it is very good. We have no complaints.

What other advice do I have?

We used to be just a customer, however, it's my understanding that now the company has partnered with Fortinet.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

I always recommend Fortigate to other users. It's quite good. As long as you know, or learn the command line, you're probably going to be okay. Any problems we've had have been relatively insignificant in nature. The features, in general, have been so great. It's really been a very good product.

JK
Principal & CTO at Constructure Technologies at a construction company with 11-50 employees
Geofencing capabilities help us to reduce threats, and the support is good

• "The most valuable feature is geofencing, where we can block all access from all non-domestic locations."
  • "In the next releases, it would be nice to see central cloud management."

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiGate as an edge security device. We are system integrators and we use this product ourselves, as well as implement it for our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

The geofencing and blocking capabilities for all non-domestic countries lower the attack surface by approximately 85%.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In the next releases, it would be nice to see central cloud management.

They have an on-premises solution that you can deploy for fleet management or for multiple site management, but it seems like a cloud solution would be a little bit easier.

We have been using FortiGate for the past two years.

We are using the latest version.

This is a very stable solution.

So far, this product has scaled very well. We have approximately 100 deployed, as edge devices. Currently, it is our only edge device and we plan to continue rolling it out in the future.

Their technical support is great.

We used Cisco ASAs exclusively before changing exclusively to FortiGate.

We decided to change to FortiGate because the entitlement was too difficult on Cisco.

The initial setup is straightforward and it takes approximately two hours to deploy.

Licensing is pretty standard. It's approximately 15% of the total cost per year as a subscription cost.

The subscription cost also includes support for entitlement, which was not the case with Cisco. That was the deciding factor. We changed our whole install base because of that.

There are no additional costs other than the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend stopping waiting to use Fortinet Fortigate. It's really a great solution and their support is very good. SonicWall has awful support. I can't say more strongly how bad SonicWall has ever been.

With the engineers, everything is difficult to phrase. They don't understand what you're trying to do. They should understand. Their first-level support is terrible. They really don't understand. You can't get to the next level without going through level one.

Level one is terrible. It's frustrating enough that we just do it ourselves with Google articles because of this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

TM
Network Administrator at Furnmart
Work filter is able to detect anything coming in that is not supposed to be on the network

• "The most valuable feature is that its IPsec works perfectly."
  • "Some issues with connecting to the VPN from home after firmware updates."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for controlling the internet in our organization, as well as for our VPN for those working from home. I also use it for routing the connection to stores so we can access them.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to easily access the stores from where we are. It also blocks a lot of websites that we don't want to allow access to during working hours. It has also made our network more secure, and it's now much harder for people to intrude into our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that its IPsec works perfectly. The work filter also works perfectly - it's able to detect anything coming in that is not supposed to be on the network.

What needs improvement?

We have had some issues with connecting to the VPN from home after firmware updates, which could be an area for improvement.

I have been using this solution for about five years.

I think the product's stability is very good.

The scalability depends on what you want to use it for - previously, we were using 60D, and it wasn't accommodating some features we wanted, so we had to go to 100D.

The technical support is very helpful.

I previously used pfSense but found it was a bit complicated in terms of configuration and didn't give periodic updates. I switched to FortiGate because they were very consistent in giving updates on outbreaks and what they were doing to resolve them.

The setup was straightforward because of the integrator's help. Deployment took about two days, and only my assistant and I were required for deployment and maintenance.

I implemented through an integrator.

Our main ROI has been the extra stability on our network - since we implemented this solution, we haven't had any major attacks.

The cost of this product is too high on a yearly license. The license can be renewed on a monthly or yearly basis. There are additional costs for extra features.

What other advice do I have?

To me, this is one of the best firewalls I've ever used. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

Judit Fekete
IT Manager at Zipper
Reseller
Easy to set up, quick to deploy, and very secure

• "The solution is very easy to set up. It doesn't take a lot of time and offers a quick deployment, so you can start using it almost right away."
  • "The price model is not transparent by any means and should be made more clear. What's included in the packages is often not very obvious."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide the solution to our clients. We typically use it in the financial services industry.

What is most valuable?

It's a very secure product. The security provided is excellent and an organization can feel very safe while using it.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of the solution needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for two years at this point.

The stability of the solution is pretty good. We don't have any blocks and we don't have problems with the solution in terms of bugs or crashes. We have a monitor. We have an aux for many services. It really is problem-free.

The solution has some issues with scalability. I wouldn't say it's easy to scale at all.

Also, with the pricing model being so confusing, companies can't really wrap their arms around what the final pricing would be when they scale up, which makes it difficult for budgeting purposes.

We don't use technical support from Fortinet. Rather, we get it from a local company. They are okay. They aren't terrible, however, they could be better. Their service is average at best.

The initial setup is straightforward. We didn't find it to be complex at all.

Deployment is quick and easy. It takes a maximum of two hours to handle everything.

The pricing of the solution is strange. We don't understand exactly how it's calculated or how it works.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend this firewall often and we've actually used many solutions previously. Since we chose this one, we've been overall quite happy with the results. We recommend it largely due to the fact that we use the solution ourselves.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it wasn't for the pricing model and the scalability issues, I would rate it higher.

Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate-VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.