Fortinet FortiManager Overview

Fortinet FortiManager is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Network Management Applications. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate Cloud: Fortinet FortiManager vs Fortinet FortiGate Cloud

What is Fortinet FortiManager?

Networks are constantly evolving due to threats, organizational growth, or new regulatory/business requirements. Traditional management products focus on mitigating company-wide threats through firewall policies, firmware updates, and keeping content security current. FortiManager offers the features to contain threats as well as providing flexibility to evolve along with your ever-changing network.

Fortinet FortiManager Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiManager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Fortinet FortiManager Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiManager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiManager pricing:
  • "Fortinet FortiManager is not expensive at all if you compare it with other vendors like Check Point and Cisco. Fortinet products are the least expensive on the market in the category of firewalls."
  • "The licensing costs depend on how many devices you want to use."
  • "In comparison with other products, the price of FortiManager is reasonable."

Fortinet FortiManager Reviews

MohamedTalbi
Network and Security Engineer at VERMEG for Banking & Insurance Software
Mar 15, 2020
Powerful management for deploying configuration to multiple environments with a single click

What is our primary use case?

We use it on a virtual machine in our data center. We are not using a box. We have many types of clients so there are many types of use cases for our clients who we are deploying FortiGate for on-site to create the local network. Many sites are using FortiGate firewalls like 60E, 100E, 200E and 500E and some 3100D. We are using what we call zero-touch deployment. It is a very important technology or process that helps us to make the deployments efficiently. It is called zero-touch deployment or ZTD. It helps us to implement our configuration on these client sites by using FortiManager… more »

• "It would normally take us a handful of days to install one FortiGate instance on one site. But with this technology, zero-touch deployment, we need just one hour or maybe as little as 30 minutes to install one site. It is much more efficient."
  • "Troubleshooting for Fortinet products is more difficult than competing products like Cisco and Palo Alto."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people considering this solution is that they have to read about the product and they have to make an effort to pass the NSE 5 (Network Security Analyst) certification. It is for FortiAnalyzer and FortiManager products. Fortinet NSE 4 (Network Security Professional) certification talks about FortiGate and prepares your solution in a global sense. It is also very good to have. The main certification to have in my opinion is to pass the NSE 7 (Network Security Architect) certification because it talks about what I think is the negative part of Fortinet products, the…
Dilip Saraf
Regional Head at MASS INFONET (P) LTD.
Oct 19, 2020
Good centralized management that's stable and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager Automation-Driven Centralized Management Manage all your Fortinet devices in a singleconsole central management system. FortiManager provides full visibility of your network, offering streamlined provisioning and innovative automation tools. Integrated with Fortinet’s Security Fabric, the security architecture and FortiManager’s Automation Driven Network Operations capabilities provide a foundation to secure and optimize network security, such as provisioning and monitoring SD-WAN. FortiManager VM-S The new FortiManager Subscription license model consolidates the VM product SKU… more »

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The GUI could be updated. It's not as good as it could be and is something the solution should improve in an upcoming release."

What other advice do I have?

FortiManager is for the syncing of devices. Therefore, when companies are using multiple devices from Fortinet, such as FortiGate, FortiSwitches, FortiAP, etc., then it's required to have FortiManager. That way, companies can manage central lines in all of the devices via a single person. It's a very useful application. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's got all of the features we need to manage our FortiGate products and doesn't seem to be lacking anything. It does exactly what we need it to do and we find it quite easy to use. We're a Fortinet distributor. My clients are the ones…
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiManager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mak Kazemaini
Infrastructure and Cloud Architect at Vizion network
Mar 29, 2020
Easy to use, reliable centralized management, with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is the management of firewalls.

• "The most valuable features are the centralized management of the firewalls."
  • "It's a difficult process to transfer one interface from one virtual domain to another."

What other advice do I have?

You have to plan everything with very specific details before deploying the FortiManager, otherwise, it will be complex. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Filip Hajek
Consultant at DNS, a.s.
Reseller
May 31, 2020
You can see if workstations or services are affected by an attack with a simple click

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager is a virtual appliance, you can have it in a cloud, buy your own license, or pay for the solution as a service. It's very helpful because you can manage many products from other customers, just from the cloud, which is where you administrate domains for all the customers you might have. You only have one point of deployment of the new FortiGates, for example, FortiSwitches, FortiAPs with a single click that you do not need to deploy the configuration on a unit itself. So it means, for example, you can just send the new boxes to new offices and from the cloud FortiManager, you just… more »

• "For the whole security fabric from Fortinet, with a simple click you can see if some workstations or services are affected by an attack. You can really easily quarantine it, check the solution, and fix it."
  • "Fortinet is releasing quite a lot of new versions and I would say that most of the versions are not well tested before they're pushed out. Even the new versions sometimes are a bit buggy before it's all correct."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It does not make much sense if you only have one FortiGate. If you have multiple devices and you can share some kind of templates or configuration template for security rules then this is a product you should use. In the next release, there should be a little bit better of a deployment for applications that should also be relevant for mobile phones.
reviewer1181130
Asst. Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
May 20, 2020
Reasonably priced, and the centralized management helps to consolidate network security operations

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider, reseller, and distributor. Fortinet FortiManager is one of the security products that we implement for our customers.

• "Fortinet has the option of synchronization in the cloud, so you can manage everything if you have a cloud account."
  • "The response times from technical support need to be a bit quicker."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of deployment options, it has a lot of options for enterprise-level organizations such as telcos and banks. Overall, I think that this product is okay. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1414707
Network Delivery Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Sep 15, 2020
Nice interface, good support, and the intrusion prevention features improve our security

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is internal security domain protection in corporate sites.

• "Everybody is quite happy with the way that the graphical user interface works."
  • "We have experienced a series of minor bugs that necessitated contacted technical support on several occasions."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I have no serious concerns about this product so I have no problems recommending it. It has all of the features that I need, as far as I'm concerned. Certainly, there's nothing that would cause me to suggest that people not use it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Rias Majeed
CIO IT Security - Connectivity at Exceed NetSec LLC
May 5, 2020
Improves and increases the performance but performance issues should be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to analyze the internal traffic to see what's happening in the network. We can analyze the logs and push policies. In case something happens, after rebooting it, we can push the configuration back into the appliance.

• "We look at the traffic to segment the network and it improves and increases the performance. When we have a mobile connection and local laptops are on the same network. We have seen a big performance upgrade."
  • "Performance issues should be improved. We have problems when we have more mobile connections than local devices. Most of us have two to three devices."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see more performance-tuning. If they could work on that, that would be great.
Eric Ansenne
Owner at EASI Network
Apr 5, 2020
Integrates easily with other Fortinet products and is very stable

What is our primary use case?

We work with the FortiManager tool to configure several solutions for our customers. Generally, our customers already have the product installed on their network. We work as independent consultants.

• "A fully integrated solution."
  • "Can be difficult to configure."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution if the customer has all Fortinet products. The advantage of Fortinet is that if you have all their products - FortiGate or FortiSwitch or FortiController, FortiWeb, FortiClient, it's an integrated solution but if you have only Fortinet Switch, it's no more interesting than Cisco. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
See 3 more Fortinet FortiManager Reviews