EA
Owner at EASI Network
Integrates easily with other Fortinet products and is very stable

• "A fully integrated solution."
  • "Can be difficult to configure."

What is our primary use case?

We work with the FortiManager tool to configure several solutions for our customers. Generally, our customers already have the product installed on their network. We work as independent consultants.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by making it a little easier to configure. Sometimes it's a  bit complicated to find the right way to configure. For example, if you want to have a link between a FortiGate to a FortiSwitch, sometimes it's not so clear. Sometimes there is a problem because U.S. FortiGate has one version and FortiSwitch has another version of the operating system and it's difficult to create, to have a link between two devices, and we have to do an upgrade before using it.

I would like the configuration to be easier. If that is solved then the product is perfect.

It's a stable product.

I have no experience with scalability.

The technical support for us is great. We get our support from Fortinet in Belgium, so we can communicate directly with a technician in Belgium. It's perfect.

We also train in Cisco and are certified and support Cisco, so we know that solution very well. The difference between the two is that Cisco is always more complicated than Fortinet.

I think the initial setup is too complicated because there are several versions of the operating systems, so you don't have directly connections between two devices. In the study guide it's easier but on site it's not so easy.

I think the pricing is reasonable, it's cheaper than Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution if the customer has all Fortinet products. The advantage of Fortinet is that if you have all their products - FortiGate or FortiSwitch or FortiController, FortiWeb, FortiClient, it's an integrated solution but if you have only Fortinet Switch, it's no more interesting than Cisco.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: consultant
Slawomir Napiorkowski
Architect at IT Systems and Solutions sp. z o.o.
Good central management capability that simplifies work and saves us time

• "The most valuable feature is the central configuration for firewall policies."
  • "Having FortiManager work with all of the Fortinet products would be a good improvement."

What is our primary use case?

FortiManager is used for centrally managing many FortiGate firewalls. It is a very good solution if you are using several of them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the central configuration for firewall policies. This simplifies the management of many devices and acts as a central firewall policy object. It is sometimes used to deploy a VPN, where that is used to connect many FortiGate instances.

You don't need to log in to the devices many times. Instead, you can locally manage and copy the configuration to several of them.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet develops many different solutions but only some of them can be managed using FortiManager. For example, if you have a load balancer then you have to have a separate manager. Having FortiManager work with all of the Fortinet products would be a good improvement.

Some older versions of FortiManager, perhaps three or four years ago, had some issues with instability due to bugs. However, now, it is a very stable product.

It is easy to scale, although it can be costly. There is a limit to the number of devices that it can support, but additional FortiManagers can be used in this case.

I have been in contact with the Fortinet technical support several times, and the support is good. The people are nice and they will also help you online.

Until you have experience with it, this device is not simple to set up. You have to spend perhaps five to seven days to configure it properly, including the automation of certain tasks.

If you have a single person for the implementation, it will take approximately two weeks to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I find that this is a good solution and it gives me everything that I want. I would recommend it and people should definitely try it.

Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiManager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AN
Consultant at a wellness & fitness company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables our clients to monitor multiple firewalls in one place

• "The product is a combination of management and monitoring from the same interface."
  • "The areas that need improvement are implemenation and support. In terms of implementation, it mainly needs clear documentation."

How has it helped my organization?

One site we worked on had something like 10 firewalls in different branches, and the security admin there needed to monitor the firewalls from a centralized place, so we deployed FortiManager and configured it so he could monitor things from one place.

At another site, we use it in backup mode for automatic backup.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The areas that need improvement are implementation and support. In terms of implementation, it mainly needs clear documentation. There are many features that are not mentioned in the documentation.

We've been using FortiManager for almost one year. On some sites we use the latest version, and for other sites we use version 6.4.

We have done implementations of a number of Fortinet products such as Email and FortiWeb firewalls. We have implemented the portfolio of Fortinet products.

For FortiManager, technical support is good, but it's not excellent. It's not perfect because there are times when it takes longer for them to reply to cases. And, as I mentioned, sometimes we can't find a feature in the documentation.

It's easy to install and it takes about two days.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend FortiManager if you have more than FortiGate firewalls or more Fortinet products.

In terms of users of the solution, our clients are between medium and enterprise in scope.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner/consultant.
AC
Co-founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well, stable, and good technical support

• "Fortinet FortiManager allows a full view of all the devices on the network from one location."
  • "The solution could improve by having better integration with other solutions other than Fortinet."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiManager can be used to manage all your Fortinet solutions. We are using it as a VM solution.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet FortiManager integrates will with other Fortinet solutions, such as FortiAnalyzer.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Fortinet FortiManager for years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable, it is good for large companies to manage their devices.

We have six customers using this solution.

The technical support is very good.

We have one engineer that does the implementation and maintenance of the solution.

The license model they use depends on the size and is not limited to the users.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is good but we want to move to the cloud at some point to save money on infrastructure. For example, on the cloud, we would not need a server room or data center building.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Fortinet FortiManager a ten out of ten.

KB
Manager IP Network Security Planning at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to setup, learn, and use

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very easy to navigate. It is comfortable to use.

What needs improvement?

Regional support in African countries needs to be improved.

I have been using FortiManager for less than a year.

So far, FortiManager has been really stable.

We have not pushed our usage to the point where we have had to scale, yet.

The platform does not have proper support for Africans.

The initial setup is straightforward and not as cumbersome as some other products. Our deployment took a month or two because of the change…

What is most valuable?

The user interface is very easy to navigate. It is comfortable to use.

What needs improvement?

Regional support in African countries needs to be improved.

I have been using FortiManager for less than a year.

So far, FortiManager has been really stable.

We have not pushed our usage to the point where we have had to scale, yet.

The platform does not have proper support for Africans.

Our deployment took a month or two because of the change management.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this product is that it is quite easy to use and the learning curve is not steep.