Fortinet FortiNAC OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiNAC is #4 ranked solution in top Network Access Control (NAC) tools. IT Central Station users give Fortinet FortiNAC an average rating of 8 out of 10. Fortinet FortiNAC is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine):Fortinet FortiNAC vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Fortinet FortiNAC is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 53% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Fortinet FortiNAC?

The proliferation of Internet of Things (IoT) devices, has made it necessary for organizations to improve their visibility into what is attached to their networks. They need to know every device and every user accessing their networks. IoT devices enable digital transformation initiatives and improve efficiency, flexibility, and optimization. However, they are inherently untrustworthy, with designs that prioritize low-cost over security. FortiNAC provides the network visibility to see everything connected to the network, as well as the ability to control those devices and users, including dynamic, automated responses.

Fortinet FortiNAC was previously known as FortiNAC, Bradford Networks, Bradford Networks Sentry, Network Sentry Family.

Download the Network Access Control (NAC) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Fortinet FortiNAC Customers

Isavia, Pepperdine University, Medical University of South Carolina, Columbia University Medical Center, Utah Valley University

Fortinet FortiNAC Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiNAC pricing:
  • "The licensing fees are a little bit high."
  • "The pricing is similar to that of other solutions."

Fortinet FortiNAC Reviews

Boller Anyiine
Cyber Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Enhances the Security Fabric with visibility, control, and automated response for everything that connects to the network & protection against IoT threats extending control to third-party devices.

• "Provides containment and security and and carries out file analysis for cyber theft."
  • "Admin UI could be better matched and easier to use; it cannot work as a RADIUS server."

What is our primary use case?

I was certified in FortiNAC (Part of Fortinet-NSE6) last year and I've personally implemented FortiNAC in three organizations. We work as a team with people who have expertise in different areas and Vendors and have exposure to different infrastructures.

FortiNAC scans your network to discover every user, application, and device (IOT), With up to 18 different techniques, it can then profile each element based on observed characteristics and responses for granular visibility - We then apply state-based control(eth0 VLAN switching) and Policy based control rules for access control and response.

Anyone (Domain users, Contractors, guests, etc) wanting to connect to the network has to be accessed by the NAC. Users come in at different times and some may be working from branches or home through a VPN and they will be authenticated in the same way with different privileges on the Network.

So it has to run 24/7. It's authenticating users all the time. We are gold partners with FortiNac.

What is most valuable?

There are quite a number of things that are valuable about this solution. Having dealt with Cisco ISE, I realize that FortiNAC is different in a way that gives you granular visibility of the entire network infrastructure related to IOT devices (Who, What, When, Which information). It's helpful that you can know what's going on from your phone, your tablet, and from home. The solution provides containment, reporting and security event-alarm mapping and saves log and carries out further analysis for cyber thefts. It really is a good solution.

What needs improvement?

I've realized that one of the issues is the need to use agents. For instance, if a domain user has to authenticate on the network via FSSO or Certificate management he has to have a persistent agent.

The admin UI is not that good. It could be better matched and more friendly to use and it cannot work as a RADIUS server. You have to have a RADIUS server which means bringing in a FortiAuthenticator to build it.

The other thing would probably be the visibility granular. For example, when I have a user at a particular branch, I can't tell what SSIDs they are connected to. I only have the IP addresses so if the wireless controller is integrated with FortiNAc, you're going to realize that you won't be able to know whether a particular person is connected, that an AP is connected to a particular SSID, is connected to. . .  etc. It only gives you the IP addresses, Host names, etc. That has to be improved and am sure it will be in the next build version.

Additional features, would be an agentless link and adopters - online, offline adopters - it picks the IP's, the host names, the layer 3 information, layer 2 information, what's connected. And also to give different privileges, best rule privileges to users.

VLAN Interswitching (state based controls) could be quicker when doing the process flow from different sorts of authentication. When it comes to guests or contractors, you don't want to use a dissolvable agents. It dissolves in the process of downloading, but it takes longer and that could be improved.

I've been using the solution for a year and a half.

FortiNAC is Pretty stable. We initially had a couple of troubleshooting issues in the deployments but we worked them out and it's fine now and has pretty good Visibility across the Network for every device, application and user, extend Control of the Network to third-party products and automated responsiveness.

You won't find so many NAC solutions like it. I mean it's granular, you will see a lot that you need to ask. It will give you all the controls you need and it has event alarm mapping, - I mean "you can't control what you can't see"

It is very scalable, you can have as many features and access points as you want. as you have. It depends on the licenses, but you can have as many IoT devices (Switches, routers, Firewals, WLC, etc) as you want and as many features as you want. You can have visibility to all the ports of the switches on the NAC, you can easily see  Who, What, When, Which information then control and respond

Technical support is good. You create a ticket and within that ticket you explain what challenges you're facing. They assign you an engineer who'll help solve the issue. It's pretty easy and straight forward and they're always there to help.

Initial setup is pretty easy. If you're doing a VM setup, you do the registration on the Fortinet portal, and then you set the IP addresses. I think it's pretty good when you're implementing it the first time, it's very easy but when you get to tests, which are the UAT's, you're most likely to have a few issues that you need to be aware of.

Deployment time depends on the kind of customer. For example, the current implementation I'm doing has an assessing vendor. 90% of the network is wireless and 10% is cabled in network. They have more than 80 access features, more than 80 routers, and two wireless controllers. They have a number of databases and different firewalls - to use that fountain it slows things down. You're also dealing with Domain users, contractors and Guests in different locations. Obviously this will take more time than a project with less infrastructure devices. It really depends on the nature of the infrastructure.

There is a base license level which pretty much gives you topologies and groupings automation/control, etc. When it comes to policies, it's only going to give you user host profiling and network access. If you're looking for endpoint compliance, integrations, Incidence response and reporting, then you have to go for an Plus or PRO license.

What other advice do I have?

You need to think about what you need as a company. There are so many government institutions, so many corporate institutions in the world that want to protect their networks. People have different privileges within a network, an instructor cannot have the same privileges as a normal user and the guest. We have guests coming onto our network, contractors coming to work at different times on the network, the main users who are working in different departments and who shouldn't have access to some platforms. When it comes to authentication you need to make sure you're protected from all kinds of threats. You have different products, Vendors and divices that all need to be controlled. If something goes off you need to know where and why.

I would rate this product a eight out of 10. It's still evolving.

Rupsan Shrestha
Technical Presales Engineer at Dristi Tech Pvt.ltd
User friendly with a good graphical interface and excellent community support

• "The most valuable features of the solution are the user-friendliness, the graphical interface, and the technical support. The interface is very nice and the customization is good."
  • "For our organization and our clients, the price is the main concern. They should work to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is generally used for compliance and other related items such as network visibility.

What is most valuable?

Overall, our clients seem to be quite pleased with the product.

What needs improvement?

For our organization and our clients, the price is the main concern. They should work to make it more competitive.

Customization could be improved in future releases.

I recently deployed the product. I've been using it for about a year.

Regarding scaling, I don't believe I would know about the requirements related to scaling the product. However, in terms of the device itself, my client is fully sufficient with the license. He has the number of devices he needs in order to monitor everything. I don't believe our client has scaled it, so I don't know how easy or difficult scaling is.

Our clients are largely medium-sized enterprises and may have up to about 400 devices on site.

I've never reached out to technical support myself and have never opened a support ticket, but I have heard that the solution is quite good at handling customer queries.

We've used community support and it's been quite good. We've found most of the answers to our queries using it.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. We didn't run into any complexities during the implementation.

We're a Fortinet partner.

I would recommend the product to others. Usability is a crucial thing for networking and this product offers that. I'm not familiar with other NAC products. However, I think every organization should be implementing NAC. That does not always mean just FortiNAC products. There are other NAC products as well. We are very fortunate to have access to such products that continue to help our customers.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

I don't exactly remember the version our clients are using currently, however, and I believe it is vm based for 2000 devices.

We don't actually use the solution in our own organization, but we have deployed it and we provide service, support, and monitoring on the devices to our clients.

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Aruba Networks and others in Network Access Control (NAC). Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SamerKiwan
System Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good compliance checks and security features with the capability to scale significantly

• "Compliance checks are a good feature. Compliance check is for windows updates and for antivirus updates, etc."
  • "The implementation process needs improvement. Right now, it's somewhat complicated. They could create some templates to facilitate implementation. Right now everything is done manually, and it just takes a really long time at the initial setup."

How has it helped my organization?

You can simply control whole network even you can check your switches configuration

What is most valuable?

Security is also good. No guest can enter without credentials, such as usernames and passwords. You have full visibility, which is very good.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is easily scalable. Once you have one working correctly, you can expand easily to make it as big as you want. However, setting up the first properly takes time.

I've contacted technical support three or four times. They have been very good.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is complex. How long it takes to deploy depends on the complexity of the project, for example, if you are setting up the solution at branches or just at one location. So long as the team is cooperating and coordinating, it shouldn't take more than three months. You only need one to two engineers to deploy the solution. Afterward, you may only need one person for maintenance.

You need professional engineers to set up the solution. Only trained and experienced people will be able to handle the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

In terms of advice I'd give to others, I'd say the most important thing to worry about is organizing the network, like active directory groups and groups of users, etc. Organize the groups with VLAN IDs that are not too specific and the VLANs should be on all company switches.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AM
Technology Consultant Team Head at Ignite Solutions
User-friendly and easy to implement

• "This solution is very easy to implement and use. The interface is user-friendly."
  • "The reporting capability needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers. It is used as part of the network security and protects our clients.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to implement and use.

The interface is user-friendly.

The most valuable feature for us is the support for iOS and iPhones.

What needs improvement?

The problem with Fortinet is that if you want to be 100% secure then you have to buy other products. It should support better integration with third-party solutions.

The reporting capability needs to be improved.

We have been using FortiNAC for about three years.

FortiNAC is a stable solution.

It is a scalable solution, although the scalability also depends on the other products that it is integrated with. Our customers are medium-sized and enterprise-level organizations. Our clients have about 500 users.

This solution is so stable that we have not had any problems and never needed to contact technical support.

I am also working with Cisco ISE. It is very complicated compared to FortiNAC.

It is very easy and straightforward to implement.

Three of our engineers were involved in the deployment. One of them focuses on security and the others take care of networking.

The licensing fees are a little bit high.

What other advice do I have?

I try to push the use of this product because sometimes, the complicated solutions like Cisco ISE sometimes make the customers feel annoyed.

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that if the budget allows it, the entire security solution should be made up of Fortinet products. They integrate well and it will be better overall. A complete and secure solution will include products like FortiSandbox and FortiAnalyzer as well.

MA
Asst. Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good usability and security, but technical support needs to be faster

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. My role is security and I deal with products to protect data centers. FortiNAC makes up part of the security solution in a data center.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are usability and security.

What needs improvement?

The response and resolution time for technical support issues need to be improved. Support overall needs to be a little faster.

I have two years of experience with FortiNAC.

FortiNAC is a stable product.

Scalability depends on licensing. Our customers vary in size…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are usability and security.

What needs improvement?

I have two years of experience with FortiNAC.

FortiNAC is a stable product.

Scalability depends on licensing. Our customers vary in size from small and medium-sized businesses to enterprise-level organizations.

The technical support is in need of improvement because sometimes it takes too long to resolve issues.

I have worked with other similar solutions including Cisco ISE. I find that many of the SMBs and Enterprise-level customers choose Cisco instead.

The installation is pretty simple. The length of time for deployment depends on the planning and what is in the environment. It will normally take about a day.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JF
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Orchestrates automatic responses to a wide range of networking events

• "Fortinet FortiNAC is both scalable and stable."
  • "The GUI is a little bit strange — different than other Fortinet products."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for micro-segmentation in the network and authentication.

We typically install this solution for medium-sized companies.

What is most valuable?

It expands authentication. It's incredibly good with profiling and onboarding methods.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it's a great product. The GUI is a little bit strange — different than other Fortinet products. It could be more user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for one year.

Fortinet FortiNAC is both scalable and stable.

Their technical support is very good. I am satisfied.

It depends on the client and infrastructure, but it's very well documented. FortiNAC has a huge documentation library with a really good deployment and installation guide.

Deployment time depends on the size and infrastructure of the company.

I handle the implementation for our customers but I rarely perform maintenance.

I believe there are three types of licenses based on three uses: visibility, control, and response — if I remember correctly.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to carefully read over the documentation pack because it's really great — I Absolutely love it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Manjil Bhetwal
Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy and use with good reporting, but technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of deployment and ease of use. The reporting is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be more agile. The technical support is in need of improvement.

I have between six and eight months of experience with FortiNAC.

FortiNAC is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution and most of our customers are enterprise-level organizations. The majority and financial institutions and government bodies.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ease of deployment and ease of use.

The reporting is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be more agile.

The technical support is in need of improvement.

I have between six and eight months of experience with FortiNAC.

FortiNAC is a stable solution.

I feel that technical support can be improved.

The complexity of the installation and the length of time for deployment depends on the client's requirements, as well as their level of involvement.

The pricing is similar to that of other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to first do a proof of concept. Everybody has different requirements and it is best to ensure that FortiNAC meets your needs before implementing it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Network Access Control (NAC) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Cisco, Aruba Networks, and more!