Fortinet FortiOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiOS is the #20 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiWeb: Fortinet FortiOS vs Fortinet FortiWeb

What is Fortinet FortiOS?

Control all the security and networking capabilities in all your FortiGates across your entire network with one intuitive operating system. Improve your protection and visibility while reducing operating expenses and saving time with a truly consolidated next generation enterprise firewall platform.

Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Fortinet FortiOS Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiOS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiOS pricing:
  • "The support contracts are usually about $100 - $200 a device."
  • "The software costs roughly half what the hardware costs. Overall, the product is expensive."

PR
System Administrator at RBDigital
Robust, scales well using FortiManager, and you have a choice of two different modes to run in

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a gateway, a firewall for the office.

• "It is more robust than SonicWall, particularly on the VPN from site to site."
  • "I can only compare it with SonicWall, and it is missing many advanced features that SonicWall has."

What other advice do I have?

I know Fortinet and SonicWall, and If I had to consider other solutions or if I have to redo it again, I would take a closer look with Palo Alto first. With Palo Alto, the cost is more, but when I switch from SonicWall to Fortinet FortiOS, I lost a lot in the features. I would check to see if Palo Alto has what was lost in terms of features. The stability is good. I would rate Fortinet FortOS an eight out of ten.
AM
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable, with extensive features and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our firewalls. Basically we're providing security distribution for our client. One of the solutions we utilize are firewalls. It helps secure the environment and monitor traffic.

• "There are a lot of features that we like within the solution. The resources or performance of the firewall is very good. However, the real selling point is the fact that the solution offers so many features, it gives our clients a lot of extras that they can work with. There's a lot on offer."
  • "Right now, it's very trendy to integrate everything into the cloud. This solution would be more effective if they did more integration in that regard."

What other advice do I have?

We're using version 6.2 of the solution right now, however, the latest version available is 6.4. I'm part of the security team at our organization. We're business partners with Fortinet. I would advise other companies to choose a firewall brand that they can they afford. Cost is an important aspect. It needs to work well within an organization's budget. It doesn't make sense to look at products that are out of an organization's price range, so make sure you are looking at options that are affordable. The second thing to consider is the solution's functionality. If that particular brand or…
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JOSEPH MILLER
President at Key Solutions, Inc.
Also offers email filtering and data loss prevention

What is our primary use case?

It's a security device. We use it to keep the bad guys away.

• "All networks are security-driven, we get throughputs and security. We feel that the people at Fortinet are easy to deal with from a support standpoint. If they need to jump in and help us, they're very willing to do that. Their email filtering, their data loss prevention, their intrusion prevention, type of products in the newest OSs has been outstanding."
  • "It could more scalable for the lower end users."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is not to take shortcuts. Shortcuts aren't good. Don't hesitate to use FortiGate's technical support. Always buy support. Always buy FortiCare. You can buy it for one year, two years, or three years with the initial purchase. We always buy it and sell it to our customers for three years. And the product will last more than three years. Fortinet competes in the big companies as well. We just don't. Our marketplace is the smaller users two or three, maybe four locations, 150 to 300 endpoints. So we're not dealing in the 10,000s of users trying to…
Technical Head at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Flexibility makes this easy to integrate with other products, especially ACI implementations

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for integrated cybersecurity.

• "The VDOM (Virtual DOM) is a virtualized firewall that has some opportunities for flexibility that are an advantage in certain configurations."
  • "The pricing model makes this product far more expensive than similar solutions."
  • "The implementation could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

I would probably recommend Check Point to most users considering FortiO if they do not have any ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure) implementation or a Cisco ACI. If you could do a workaround on the ACI, then I would probably still recommend Check Point. But if you do not know how to make that type of adjustment or can not and you do not have any partners that need to access your systems, then it is better you go for Fortinet.
Rafael Riera
Pre-sales Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Easy to configure with an easy initial setup and good scalability

• "FortiGate as a product is very easy to configure."
  • "Technical support could be better. Some competitors have much more responsive support teams."

What other advice do I have?

We work with a lot of manufacturers of firewalls. It's normally Fortinet, however, we also work with Cisco, Palo Alto, and Sophos. My company works with Barracuda as well. To be honest, I am not a specialist with Barracuda. I normally don't work with that. That said, typically, when we work with clients, one of the first solutions we will suggest will be Fortinet. We do normally also recommend Cisco first, as well, due to the fact we are Cisco partners. We're also partners with Fortinet. We have a deal with Palo Alto and our security center recommends Barracuda because of their other security…
JL
Executive - Data & IP at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very user friendly and easy to configure with a straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's protecting customers from the internet to have access to servers behind the firewall. We co-locate customers' servers at our company, and we also give them firewall protection. Mostly, people that co-locate a server don't have any firewall so they ask for the service through us.

• "The solution is very user friendly."
  • "Fortinet needs to make this solution even more robust. Sometimes when we get a DDoS attack, the cannot withstand it. We can run out of sessions very easily. That said, I suppose if you want more a robust system, then you could purchase higher-end solutions, which are more expensive. Still, I would like to see more protection from even in the low-end version."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Fortigate. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Javed Hashmi
Chief Technology Officer at Future Point Technologies
Provides good security with easy to use link balancing features; could have better integrations

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and we deploy firewalls for our customers. I'm the CTO and we are partners with Fortinet.

• "Has a very simple OS and a good price point."
  • "Lacks flexibility for different scenario configurations."

What other advice do I have?

I rate the solution seven out of 10.
SB
President at a manufacturing company with self employed
Reseller
Site-to-site VPN is useful

What is our primary use case?

We typically use the Fortinet hardware firewall, and the FortiOS runs inside of that. We're usually working in a small or medium-sized business environment. So we use it for remote access, access from the LAN to the WAN, and site-to-site VPN.

• "I personally think the site-to-site VPN is the most useful feature. A lot of firewalls have that, but to me, that's one of the features that's essential."
  • "FortiOS doesn't work well with all browsers. I think they need to do a better job of making it compatible with the various browsers that are out there."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate FortiOS a seven or an eight.
See 4 more Fortinet FortiOS Reviews
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Fortinet FortiOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.