Fortinet FortiOS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiOS is the #20 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiWeb: Fortinet FortiOS vs Fortinet FortiWeb

What is Fortinet FortiOS?

Control all the security and networking capabilities in all your FortiGates across your entire network with one intuitive operating system. Improve your protection and visibility while reducing operating expenses and saving time with a truly consolidated next generation enterprise firewall platform.

Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiOS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Fortinet FortiOS Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiOS Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SoheylNorozi
IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cost-effective solution for medium-sized businesses and mid-range corporations but it has some product limitations

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for deploying network security systems for SMBs or mid-range corporations.

• "A good network security system for medium-sized businesses with an excellent GUI interface that gives a graphic view of network status."
  • "While it is a solid solution, there are some product limitations which exclude it from deployment in some situations."

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend this product to clients for use but it depends on their case needs. For example, in the AAA (Authentication Authorization and Accounting) some of the accounting and some of the VPN tunneling features are removed from Fortinet FortiOS due to some security configurations. In some projects, we need those features for the client and when that is the case, I cannot recommend that the client use the FortiOS solution. It would be a better product if there were a logging feature. You need to have FortiAnalyzer in your installation to have logging management capabilities. It will be a…
BG
Product Manager & System Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
A stable solution with an easy initial setup, even for non-technical users

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for protecting our virtual infrastructure.

• "The solution is extremely scalable."
  • "The solution needs to adjust its pricing models. With the way they are structured, everything is very disparate and sold separately, and, depending on the solution, it can get quite pricey."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MS
Director Of Hosting Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Provides an easy and simple means of filtering traffic and establishing VPN connections and authentication

What is our primary use case?

For me, personally within our company, I am using this for business administration, but the company as a whole uses the product as a general firewall solution.

• "This is an easy means of setting up high-availabilty firewall protection."
  • "The support is not very good, but the product is stable so it is not so much of a problem."

What other advice do I have?

We have lots of experience in using and installing FortiOS, and because of the experience has mostly been positive, I recommend FortiOS as a solution for firewalling. Besides the few issues we have experienced in the past, this is a stable solution and the high-availability feature is very, very good. On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would you rate Fortinet FortiOS as a nine. Despite the few problems we had in the past it is a very good solution which does what it is designed to do.
Mohamed Talbi
Network and Security Engineer at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy setup and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution. We use the standard model for our clients.

• "The initial setup is easy. It's the easiest firewall installation process on the market. I work with three or four other products and this one is the easiest."
  • "In terms of what needs improvements, the troubleshooting could use improvement. When we work with other products like Cisco ASA, Palo Alto, and Check Point, we see a big difference in the troubleshooting. It's not easy to find a report."

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have 24/7 support because the documentation is poor and you will need the support. It's important to have a support team and a support contract. I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the troubleshooting. Other solutions have a mechanism to find your IP network. Cisco has something called Packet Tracer which is very advanced that helps you test your configuration. It really helps the engineers to test without affecting the product environment.
MH
Manager IT SOLUTIONS DELIVERY at AL HIBA ITS
Reseller
Has good caching features but technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use different types of deployment models of this solution besides for the public cloud. Our primary use case is to install it for many clients on their on-prem site. Our job is client-based. We are resellers of this solution.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution would be the caching feature."
  • "Their technical support needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I wouldn't specifically recommend one product of this type over another. We provide a plethora of products and it depends on the client's needs. I would rate this solution a six or seven out of ten. We deal with a lot of products, this one is okay. It really depends on the client.
CM
Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Technical support offers good regional support and it has good scaling options

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution and on the cloud. Our primary use case of this solution is for bandwidth management and VPN.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, the pricing could be lower. The price is very steep. I would like to see in the next release that any client, even small ones from a home office, can run on any access point, not just the one that can be used with Fortinet. It should have an appliance that can be used to support and manage other access points. All the products should be uniform and easy to find.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for around three years.

It is quite stable. It is easy…
KevinTafuro
IT Manager at Cloudjet
Very stable and scalable with great technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiOS as a perimeter firewall. On top of that, we use another application as a web application firewall.

• "What I like about this solution, is that it is the only solution that currently offers VPN for clients."
  • "In the future I would like to see more user-friendly dashboards and a drop in the price."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other customers would be to have good knowledge about the traffic in their network. In the future, I would like to see more user-friendly dashboards and a drop in the price. My rating for this solution is therefore only eight out of ten.
Mohamed  Fouad
IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Great application control and good customer support but I would like to see a drop in the price

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this program is for application control and internet commitment.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a drop in the license fees because it is a rather expensive program.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for two years as IT manager at my company.

In my experience the program is very stable.

We currently have around 50 users in our company working on this program. We don't have any plans to increase our usage soon, but I believe the program is scalable.

The technical support is very good. The assistance they gave…
Chukwunenye Ekwe Jnr.
Solutions Presales/Projects Specialist at a tech services company with self employed
A feature-rich and stable solution, but the GUI needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and I have worked with solutions from many different vendors. Depending on what the customer wants, we help to select the solution. This is one of the solutions that I have serviced in a client environment.

• "All of the features in this solution are effective and efficient."
  • "The GUI could be improved to make it more usable, easier to administer, and easier to configure."

What other advice do I have?

For my requirements and expectations, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Khaled Barakat
Technical Consultant at ezz elarab
Good configuration, easy to use, and offers various functions

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a data center.

• "I like its configuration and the various functions it offers."
  • "For me, it is important to be able to block VPN applications, like Facebook, so I would like to see that included in the next release. With this version, if you want to block or allow a site, you now have to drag all the domains related to this site."

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of ten and I will definitely recommend it to others because many people are using it around the world now.
LF
Head of Infrastructure Network at innovectives
Excellent integration with an open API and a very easy to use interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for banks, whereby they want to secure their edge network, to filter their web application and block forms, etc. We also are able to integrate AWS using secure channels. It's more robust and they have different modes including nap, flow, and proximity.

• "The interface is easy to understand, so when there are threats you get alerts. It's quite intuitive, but if you are ever confused they have instructional videos. For example, if you don't understand a graph there's a link to a video that explains what the graph means. It makes it very user-friendly."
  • "The solution is good, but they have poor marketing in Nigeria. They need to market their product better."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model. We are an integrator, so we do integrations using Fortinet, Cisco, Sophos, and Palo Alto. If you're an SMB or a small enterprise, I would recommend Fortinet. I would advise users to make sure they are getting value for what they are paying for. I can say that Fortinet is not as expensive as the others, but it also gives good value. The main thing is not about the cost, but the value and Fortinet delivers on that front. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
AC
Tech Engineer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
An excellent co-firewall that's very user-friendly but should be more cloud-based

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a co-firewall.

• "For my organization, it has become much easier to scan the firewalls because the solution is more user-friendly than competitors."
  • "The signature discs, compared to Palo Alto, aren't as good. It takes more time to get the signature updates."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I would recommend the solution. As a co-firewall, it does a good job. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
Emmanuel Munisi
IT Field Engineer at Double Click Company
A user-friendly interface for both IPS and the integrated anti-virus

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller, and I deployed the public cloud version of this solution for a client on Microsoft Azure.

• "The most valuable features are the intrusion prevention system and the anti-virus."
  • "I would like to see smaller and more frequent updates."

What other advice do I have?

The only advice I have for anybody who is implementing this solution to make sure that they have a proper internet connection with good bandwidth. Overall, the Fortinet OS is great. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Bas Bonvanie
System Administrator at HeisterkaMP
All in one product with good unified threat management features

• "The fact that is it has a UTM, a Unified Threat Management feature is the most valuable aspect for us. It's an all in one product. It's like our one-stop-shop to the internet."
  • "The complexity of the VPNs should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good reliable product. I'd rate it as a solid eight out of 10. It has room left for improvement. We'd chosen the solution because of the price and the support contract, but just a few years later the support contact pricing was all of a sudden pretty steep. They increased it by 20% to 30% from one year to another year, and it's hard to explain why.
LF
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
As always there is room for improvement in any product, we have always struggled with reporting

What is our primary use case?

Network edge security, single Entry/Exit for multiple branches. and recently have started with SDWAN investigations and labs.

• "We have expanded the wireless access point and switches using Fortinet FortiOS."
  • "The additional features I would like to see included in the next release is better troubleshooting and reporting."

What other advice do I have?

Research and plan, ensure that the product falls in line with your requirement and has room to grow, and don't let a Product dictate your requirements.
Product Categories
Firewalls
Download our free Fortinet FortiOS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.