Fortinet FortiSandbox Overview

Fortinet FortiSandbox is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools. It is most often compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire: Fortinet FortiSandbox vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire

What is Fortinet FortiSandbox?

Today’s threats are increasingly sophisticated and often bypass traditional malware security by masking their malicious activity. A sandbox augments your security architecture by validating threats in a separate, secure environment. FortiSandbox offers a powerful combination of advanced detection, automated mitigation, actionable insight, and flexible deployment to stop targeted attacks and subsequent data loss. It's also a key component of our Advanced Threat Protection solution.

Fortinet FortiSandbox is also known as FortiSandbox.

Fortinet FortiSandbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiSandbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Fortinet FortiSandbox Customers

Lush, Barnabas Health, Options, Riverside Healthcare, Hillsbourough County Schools, Columbia Public Schools, Schiller AG

Fortinet FortiSandbox Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiSandbox pricing:
  • "Altogether, it is about €10,000 for the Sandbox and Email Gateway."
  • "There are additional costs, which isn't included in the licensing fee."

VC
Architect of solutions at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good performance and integration capabilities with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

FortiSandbox was a solution that we mainly sold for manual protection, however, in order to have a more compact environment, like you see the security fabric that has Fortinet, in many of our clients, we performed integration within solutions. Our clients are mainly ones that have had Fortinet solutions previously or want to test Fortinet solutions. We also encourage them to use integration with Security Fabric. Clients mainly use it for documents, or, for example, programs or execute tools that are injected in the network through the perimeter or through the DNC and also for internal… more »

• "Integration is one of the solution's most valuable aspects. You can integrate even third-party solutions so that they can send the information or files they quarantine through the FortiSandbox"
  • "If you were to compare prices between vendors and manufacturers, you would see that the lowest equipment in the Sandbox line is quite expensive for a new customer."

What other advice do I have?

We are resellers of the product. I worked as a systems engineer previously. I'm now a sales executive, however, previously, I was in charge of making all the designs and the architecture for the solutions, and therefore, I know the distribution of these products, how can they be used, and different scenarios. I know how to position, for example, a FortiGate inside of a network for network segmentation and also for perimeter protection. Working also for VPN solutions, we were using FortiClients in EMS. We can have a centralized solution for VPN and also endpoint protection. In terms of versions…
CM
Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Provides very good security and is easily adaptable to customer requirements

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for FortiSandbox is to provide a good environment, a test environment for us to analyze any new threat in the market. Fortinet Cloud uses its technology to analyze those threats for us and we use the analysis engine. Our company is a service provider of Fortinet products, providing solutions based on the company's products. This can be anything from a UTM (Urchin Tracking Module) to a cloud solution depending on the requirements of the customer. It's not one specific model of the product that we have, rather we offer products based on the solutions required by the customer. We… more »

• "The analysis engine is a very valuable feature."
  • "Product could include a user interface and be made simpler for customers to configure."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that for customers looking for a security solution, FortiSandbox is a good option. It's available on different platforms, both on and off-premises. It's easier for the customer to plug in any other security solution they may need to cover security issues depending on their environment. It's very easy to plug-in additional new features as opposed to most other security products where you have to find compatibility with other elements of the customer environment. And those options are usually challenging and expensive. I would rate this product eight out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiSandbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mahmoud Salaheldin
Security Unit Manager at EEMC
Good endpoint detection and response, but it needs better technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for using FortiSandbox. The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

• "The most valuable feature was the EDR, endpoint detection and response."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see machine learning and anti-exploitation included."

What other advice do I have?

We are Platinum level partners, and I am a consultant. My advice would be to check the web reviews and you will find that Sandbox and FortiClient are not the best. If you check Gartner, you will see that McAfee and Microsoft are better. The setup and installation are easy and straightforward. If you a Symantec endpoint then it's easy and straightforward. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Dikeos Davakis
ICT Manager at Nic. J. Theocarakis
It can emulate several operating systems and is stable and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for incoming mail from all our domains because we have several of them. We are servicing many companies as the holding company. Every mail is passed to the Sandbox virtual machine. It is a VM. Occasionally, a link or a standalone file that we want to check is also passed to the Sandbox virtual machine.

• "The scanner office document as well as PDF are useful. The most valuable thing is that you can emulate different operating systems without having the danger of getting something infected. It emulates several operating systems, and as a result, you either get the file or you don't get the file."
  • "I don't know if it is viable to do an improvement like this. When there are passwords in the password-protected files, it can't scan them or do things like this. I don't know if an algorithm or something else could make it better. Nowadays, many legitimate office documents have passwords."

What other advice do I have?

I have used it within the Fortinet ecosystem. The whole Fortinet ecosystem collaborates very well. It is a standalone product as well, but I haven't tested it as a standalone product. If I had a choice, I would opt for the cloud version. I currently have the on-premises version. I would rate Fortinet FortiSandbox a nine out of ten.
TS
Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to implement, works with FortiMail to protect our network

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is email and protection. We use FortiMail as well, and most of our environment is protected. We don’t have internet access for our users apart from email. This solution is deployed in the Cloud.

• "The most valuable feature is the protection and the way it works, the technology is what I like the most."
  • "The licensing can be very confusing. It needs to be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

If you are an existing user of Fortinet and familiar with the interfaces of FortiGate and others then it will be easy for you. I don’t have a business relationship with Fortinet. I am a user. I would recommend this solution. I don’t have any complaints, so it is difficult to say what I would like to see in the next release. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Ahmed Konsowa
Senior Pre-Sales Engineer (Commercial Sector) at SEE "Systems Engineering of Egypt"
Reseller
It is stable and scalable, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to view the texts from our clients to their lawyers. We look for unknown malware and then I also use FortiFabric for integration.

• "The technical support is very good."
  • "Most people are confused about how to use the right integration of the right Fortinet product."

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution to others. On a scale of one to ten, my rating will be an eight. In the next version I would love to see more integration and more products from other vendors.
HM
IT Manager with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy, integrates with all of our Fortinet solutions, and helps protect against email threats

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used to connect to all of our other fabric, including Fortinet solutions such as FortiGate, FortiMail, and FortiClient. We have this solution deployed on a virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good because it catches a lot of threats in emails.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, email remains in the queue, which is a problem that we have contacted support about. This is something that needs to be improved. The response time from technical support should be improved.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

We have…
AN
ICT Department at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Excellent at redirecting or stopping malicious content, very stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to allow us to pick up on any traffic that is suspicious.

• "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The integration is limited. The solution needs to offer better integration with multiple vendors."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model of the solution. I'd recommend the solution. All of its features are readily available. I'd rate it nine out of ten.
See 2 more Fortinet FortiSandbox Reviews