Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Overview

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches: Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access vs Cisco Ethernet Switches

What is Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access?

Ideal for small to medium businesses, distributed enterprises, and branch offices, FortiSwitch secure access switches deliver superior security, performance, and manageability. In addition, they help increase productivity for next generation applications through faster network access speeds.

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access pricing:
  • "You can buy this equipment in a multitude of ways. You can buy just the hardware, or you can buy the hardware and the licenses."
  • "It's affordable and there are no additional costs, just regular support, and license fees."
  • "The cost appears to be high in comparison to other competing products although with this product you are paying for what you get."
  • "It's affordable compared to other switching products, like Cisco switches."

Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Reviews

WilliamBurling
IT consulant at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Jan 11, 2021
A security solution with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

My son owns three healthcare facilities, and two of them are in the same building. That's why I went to VLANs to separate the data to satisfy HIPAA requirements. The other facility is in another town. I'm using them to manage the data and communication through VoIP phones in both locations. They have a server for the whole practice, and so everybody in the building is operating off that server. When they go to the other facility, they use a VPN and connect to the same server.

• "It works really well, I think the equipment is solid, and the help is great."
  • "It would also help if they lowered the cost of their service."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access a nine. They don't get a 10 because I think there's a way to work around terminology.
BrianAmenya
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 30, 2019
Easy to use, good network visibility, and is able to isolate compromising devices, but the network management needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for access-level connectivity for phones and computers. Using it as an access point to connect to the switches directly for their POE.

• "The most valuable feature is that I can completely isolate devices that are compromising the network."
  • "I don't like the way it's managed."

What other advice do I have?

I am working on a roadmap to ensure that everything is running on a Secure Access and not just from the switches. I am currently working on introducing SSO and Active Directory. It's going to be extensive, where everything will be running on a secure level. This solution is affordable, it makes sense, and it's easy to manage so it saves you time in both practice and in technical training. You don't have to train anyone to work with Secure Access. If you are going to invest in training, just invest in the training for FortiGate. After that, your environment is good to go because everything else…
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed Rashwan
CEO at C-Selection Technologies
Oct 17, 2019
Offers excellent reporting and monitoring of the endpoints and has good integration with FortiGate

What is our primary use case?

Our general focus as a company and partner with Fortinet is to act as one of the Security Fabric solution providers. We are trying to deliver the whole solution of the Fortinet Security Fabric to our customers. The Secure Access component is a part of that solution.

• "One of the most feature-packed switching solutions you can implement."
  • "Technical support needs to take a different approach and pricing should appear more competitive."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight. Nothing is perfect. The technical support is a bit of an issue.
reviewer816639
Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 19, 2020
Good usability and GUI. However, the technical support needs to improve its troubleshooting assistance.

What is our primary use case?

The customer wanted to have a switch, but then we managed to buy a console: FortiGate. This has been deployed to control the switching. This switch has 40 access points for WiFi access. This has been deployed to the university for student access. We have the controller using FortiGate with the access point being FortiGate. So, we chose FortiSwitch to uniformize our entire equipment and the WiFi for students access. The version depends on the version of FortiOS which is running on the switch.

• "What I really love in FortiSwitch: its usability, the graphical user interface, and the ability to be managed by FortiGate."
  • "If you contact Fortinet, it's a bit difficult. Most of the time, they send you just links and documents to read for troubleshooting. When you contact support, you don't need documents. You want someone that can understand your problem, give a hand, and help you. I'm not impressed by the support really."

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend the solution. I would rate the solution as a seven (out of 10). FortiSwitch is a member of what Fortinet calls its security fabric.
Mohamed Rashwan
CEO at C-Selection Technologies
May 19, 2020
Excellent for managing wireless users, network users and security status of all devices

What is our primary use case?

We have different use cases in different sectors including in education, banking, health care. You can say it's suitable for all types of businesses like small and medium enterprise. We use this product inside security fabric solutions. We assign switches and then integrate it with FortiGate. We implement this solution for our clients. We are a partner of Fortinet and I'm the CEO of our company.

• "Ability to manage FortiAP, FortiClient, and FortiGate all from a single console"
  • "Currently issues with some of the switches and problems with the firmware."

What other advice do I have?

If you want to run full integration with the secure network architecture from a single point, you can use Fortinet. It's suitable for small and medium size business. You can run all your products like the wireless access points, and switches, and FortiGate and firewall from the single vendor. It will give you the security fabric features to take you to a high level of reporting and management skill. It's important to keep up with the technical news. They have released multiple versions of the firmware with new updates and it's important to follow the new version of firmware update for…
GalFuchs
Technical Support Engineer at Point PC
Feb 23, 2020
Simple to use and has easy to use switches

What is our primary use case?

I'm a technical support engineer and we are a partner, buying and reselling the solution here in Israel. Our primary use case is core switches, The switches are on the customer's data. We use the product as an extension for core security reasons. Around 50% of our customers buy this product from us. It's a central product we sell for extended features of 4G switches.

• "The most valuable feature of this product is its simplicity."
  • "The product could use more security related features."

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a great product and everyone who chooses it will enjoy using it. I would rate this product a nine out of 10.
Dave Power
Vice President at IMP Solutions
MSP
Oct 29, 2020
Offers better insight into what's going on in our customer's network

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use Secure Access to capture log files of many different vendors out there. They're looking at their network, wireless servers, and anything that can capture log files. It seems to be one of the more cost-effective solutions.

• "The most valuable feature would be network management, separating the network management component from security. It can do both but we promote it on its own. It's a good solution to do network management."
  • "It could be simpler but compared to the competition, it's not so bad."

What other advice do I have?

I am a big supporter of Secure Access. I would rate it a nine out of ten.
Yousef Altaj
Tech Manager at Global tec
Reseller
Nov 21, 2019
Visual scope is very good and allows me to see and download all of the network information

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for different reasons. It depends on our customer security requirements and the projects that we are implementing for banks, hospitals, etc.

What is most valuable?

The visual scope of the solution is very good. It allows me to see and download all of the network information.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, the solution has SD-WAN but it doesn't have SDN. This should be added. The solution can only be managed by FortiGate.

The stability of the solution is good.

The solution can scale, but there are some limitations. Our partner just started using the solution so I'm not sure how many…
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Fortinet FortiSwitch - Secure Access Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.