Fortinet FortiWLM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiWLM is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Wireless LAN tools. It is most often compared to Aruba Wireless: Fortinet FortiWLM vs Aruba Wireless

What is Fortinet FortiWLM?

Consolidate security and wireless LAN management with our integrated wireless solutions. Single-pane-of-glass management for security and access without the need to add point products simplifies deployment and reduces management complexity. These solutions are highly scalable to support even the largest organizations and distributed enterprises.

Fortinet FortiWLM is also known as FortiWLM, FortiAP, Fortinet AP/OAP, Meru Wireless LAN.

Download the Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Fortinet FortiWLM Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiWLM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiWLM pricing:
  • "Fortinet would do something with their pricing model to attract smaller business users and eliminate the mandatory service contracts."
  • "For indoor access points, there is a one-time cost, upfront, whereas outdoor access points have an annual fee."
  • "There is a perpetual license required for this solution and the price could be reduced."

PeterMacTaggart
IT and IT Security Consulting at MacTaggart IT Security
Solves access point issues and reduces the need for excessive wifi transmission

What is our primary use case?

I have a friend who used to work at Sun Microsystems and when they were bought by Oracle he moved to Fortinet Switzerland. Now he is the boss of the wireless section of Fortinet Switzerland. We are building an apartment building with 30 floors that is the tallest residential building in the country. The name is Jabee Tower in Dübendorf. We have two penthouse flats there and each flat has 14 wireless access points. That is more access points than you could have with any other normal wifi system; you can not buy this kind of access capability through another vendor. We have committed to the… more »

• "This is the only product on the market currently that supports as many access points for wifi users."
  • "The pricing model can be improved to encourage use by small business and individuals and the hardware could stand to be redesigned."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people is that the V2R radio solution is very good and that they should give it a try. Get a few access points — the minimum is two — to experience the V2R access concept. When I was first playing with the solution, I set up the software controller on a virtual machine in the lab. Just with two access points, one controller and the V2 concept. That was an eye-opening experience. When you see it working, you immediately become a fan. You will make a prayer for this technology. What is not so good is that Meru came out with the solution a little too late because now it will have a…
Piyush-Patel
Senior Technical Support Executive with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Create guest networks without a VLAN, easy to use, and has a user-friendly GUI

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our clients. My client was interested in adding a guest network to the existing infrastructure. The main requirement was that the new access points needed to be able to integrate properly, but any guests should not be able to connect to his main network. It was a very old network with no VLAN and there was no interest in implementing one. This solution allowed for the creation of different networks without the need for a VLAN or the installation of layer two switches.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to connect and broadcast to different networks without using a VLAN or a layer two switch, which allows you to easily create guest networks."
  • "The guest management features need to be improved by adding automation."

What other advice do I have?

Find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Aruba Networks, Cisco and others in Wireless LAN. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Suresh Sharma
Sr. Technical Executive at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Poor customer service and lackluster scalability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for official purposes. On our campus, there are two employees who have a laptop and move here and there, and sub-faculties are always trying to connect to Google or other resources, for any documentation purposes. The facility is huge. So for online purposes, we give them the flexibility so that wherever they are on campus they can easily connect to the internet.

• "The product is a stable solution."
  • "Technical support is very poor. We are not satisfied with the technical support because there is not any direct person from Fortinet for any troubleshooting, which we expected."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, where one is the worst and 10 is the best, I would rate Fortinet Wireless three out of 10. You may discuss this with any of the other clients who are using Fortinet. I think you will find out what kind of support Fortinet gives because there is no direct person involved from the Fortinet side to give client support. They depend on the mediator or integrators or suppliers. They help. They are trained but they are not from Fortinet. I would not go with Fortinet. You can think of it as a customer buying a Fortinet product from the company and the company has stopped…
DK
Service Delivery Manager at ZAVASI TECHNOLOGIES PVT LTD
Simple solution compared to other options and has good reliability

• "I found that It's really good when comparing it to any other product or it is much better in terms of features that the customer requires."
  • "Documentation could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet Wireless is a very good product, in terms of reliability and in terms of configuration also. I would rate Fortinet wireless at a nine out of ten.
SB
Syssense at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Overall effective network management, highly reliable, but more feature needed

What is our primary use case?

My clients use Fortinet FortiWLM for wireless management in healthcare, hospitality, and office settings.

• "Fortinet FortiWLM is good for tracking assets, monitoring, and overall management."
  • "In the next release, they could improve by adding a controller-less server, or architecture that is provided in other solutions, such as Aruba. This would be a great benefit for customers."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I rate Fortinet FortiWLM a seven out of ten.
ED
User at Tilibra
Good security and firewall integration

What is our primary use case?

We started the utilization in our warehouse to improve the connection for our hand scanner and cameras.

• "The firewall integration is very important for the security of the connection."
  • "This solution should be easier to set up in a production environment."

What other advice do I have?

We intend to implement this solution in our production area and eventually replace cable connections with wireless service.
Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Wireless LAN Report and find out what your peers are saying about Fortinet, Aruba Networks, Cisco, and more!