GFI FaxMaker OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

GFI FaxMaker is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Fax Software. It is most often compared to OpenText RightFax Fax Server: GFI FaxMaker vs OpenText RightFax Fax Server

What is GFI FaxMaker?

GFI FAXmaker is a leading fax server for small to medium-sized enterprises. It makes sending and receiving faxes an efficient, simple and cost effective process and solves the problems with manual faxing: printing out the document, walking to the fax machine, waiting for the fax to go through, not to mention the cost of fax machine supplies and repair. GFI FAXmaker allows users to send and receive faxes directly from their email client.

GFI FaxMaker Buyer's Guide

Download the GFI FaxMaker Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

GFI FaxMaker Customers
ALFATECH, ABENA, Deli
GFI FaxMaker Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about GFI FaxMaker pricing:
  • "The way we have our phone system set up and our ISP, Faxmaker saves us a ton of money. I don't know what the cost would be for a cloud-based solution, but we've purchased this software, we purchased the license, we upgraded it and, through the wonders of our internet provider, we actually almost fax for free."
  • "It is worth its price."
  • "If you take a three year license, it will save you a little money. However, some people say, "Fax is dead." I recommend not to overbook it."
  • "We have about 1000 faxes a month, which would take three minutes to send manually. This is 3000 minutes or 50 hours a month that the company saves by using GFI FaxMaker. To manually fax would cost us a 1000 euros a month and the license costs us a 100 euros a month, so we are saving 900 euros a month. That is a bit over 10,000 euros a year. Therefore, I think it is worth it to have it."
  • "The pricing is okay. It's normal, modern IT pricing. It's not not that cheap. You can't buy the licenses anymore, it's subscription-based, but that's how everybody does it."
  • "For three years, it is about 1,000 euros. It is not dirt cheap, but the price is not bad."
  • "When our three years of license were up, we bought another three years. The fate of FaxMaker will be that it will stay until the fax gateway dies out, then it won't be replaced anymore. That may be in three to five years from now."
  • "The price is okay. Other products are more expensive."

GFI FaxMaker Reviews

Michael Livingston
IT Director at Thomas George Associates Ltd
Increased our productivity significantly and enables us to fax images from our imaging system

• "We use it so that it does create an email connection to the LAN and then it returns a message via email, to the user who sent it, with a followup as to whether it was successful or not. We're able to send faxes from all the PCs in our environment."
  • "One of the issues we have — and I'm not sure it's the product; I tend to believe it's usually the end-user that we're sending to — is that a lot of times we cannot connect. I'm not sure if it's a speed issue, whether we're sending too fast, whether it has something to do with their receiving, or whether it's an internet issue. But we experience about a 10 to 12 percent failure rate with faxes, where we have to fax again."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for sending outgoing faxes.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to send faxes via email was the purpose of our getting this solution. The nature of our business at one time was to get up, go to a filing cabinet, grab a file folder, and manually fax it. If we look back to the day where we were still using filing cabinets and compare it to using this, it probably saves us 20 minutes per file that we've worked on during the course of a day. It increased productivity, so instead of handling something like six files a day, we're now handling upwards of 30 files a day. That's a significant improvement.

Once we put an imaging system into place many years ago, this product became very useful because it then allowed us to take the images that were connected to a file that we were working on and fax out the necessary documents.

We use the solution to meet compliance or regulatory requirements indirectly because of the nature of our business. We have to be HIPAA compliant and we have to be ISO compliant, we have to be compliant with New York law, and we have to meet certain ANSI standards. The only thing we really didn't get into was the new GDPR stuff that came out, but we don't do any international stuff so we don't worry about that. But for legal purposes, our business requires us to have a place where documentation can be received, and faxing fits that mold.

We send roughly 80,000 faxes a year. The way we have our phone system set up and our ISP, Faxmaker saves us a ton of money. I don't know what the cost would be for a cloud-based solution, but we've purchased this software, we purchased the license, we upgraded it and, through the wonders of our internet provider, we actually almost fax for free.

What is most valuable?

For the users, they just fax stuff out with it. We've integrated it with our imaging system and it also works standalone. It seems to work very well for us.

We use it so that it does create an email connection to the LAN and then it returns a message via email, to the user who sent it, with a followup as to whether it was successful or not. We're able to send faxes from all the PCs in our environment.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues we have — and I'm not sure it's the product; I tend to believe it's usually the end-user that we're sending to — is that a lot of times we cannot connect. I'm not sure if it's a speed issue, whether we're sending too fast, whether it has something to do with their receiving, or whether it's an internet issue. But we experience about a 10 to 12 percent failure rate with faxes, where we have to fax again.

We've been using GFI FaxMaker for 15 years at least.

In all the time we've been using it, it has been a pretty solid product.

We probably started with a 25-user license. Now we're up to a 50-user license. We have been able to migrate it up easily and I'm sure, with the advent of what's going on in our country, I'm going to be migrating it down.

I don't recall ever having to use their technical support.

We just had a basic fax machine before Faxmaker.

I actually hired someone to set it up for us and they spent what appeared to be about a day and a half setting it up. That was back in the day when you would use a Brooktrout card and had to configure that in addition to the software. After that there was the testing.

When we went to a local area network methodology, we had to buy a device that interfaced between the LAN and the fax server, which would eliminate the use of the board that was in the old PC. It took a couple of days to get that worked up, besides waiting for the hardware device to show up.

The last time we had an upgrade with it was with the Windows operating system. That was just a minor change in how we were sending the faxes through the network via email through the fax server. In the transition to Windows 10 there was a little hiccup, but once we figured it out, we migrated it over easily, as far as the client side goes

We bought it such a long time ago that we just pay upgrade fees for licensing, and they are pretty inexpensive. I usually do it in three-year shots because that gives us some savings. It's in a good price range.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that your network is working well because the product will work well with a network that is working well. It's a decent all-around product, from what I can see.

I keep a log of what goes out. I really don't archive. I set this up a long time ago and I've never really looked at it again. It works and we're done. We stamp it out as a "carbon copy" to everyone. It's doing the job that we want it to do.

It requires minimal maintenance. Once in a while we have to restart the server, and sometimes we have to restart the hardware to the server. That might happen twice a year and it takes 10 minutes if we have to do a hard reboot or two minutes if it's just shutting down Faxmaker and restarting it.

HH
Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Reduces manual labor and costs

• "The reporting is getting a bit better, as you can see what is coming though the line. We can now use the browser to get reports with the latest update. I also have information from up to four years ago regarding the fax statistics."
  • "I would like to see in the GFI FaxMaker console where the fax came from or was sent. Right now, I can only investigate the log file, make a record from it, and search by Excel when there was a fax."

What is our primary use case?

We have some old fax machines. Only one or two addresses are needed to fax because we have customers all around the world and some people who don't want to change to email. Therefore, we have a need to keep this fixed solution at our site. We also use it to send out faxes from our subsystem, where it is mostly needed.

We normally use it by sending faxes via email. We have a fax connection from SAP to the email system with a fax gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

When a fax is sent with GFI FaxMaker. the person who sends or receives the fax will get an email. In that email, there is an PDF attached with the original fax that has gone through. We have an email archiving AD where we have stored all those fax emails over the last 10 years.

What is most valuable?

The console is still the same as it has been for the last 10 years. It is very easy to add new new users and licenses.

The reporting is getting a bit better, as you can see what is coming though the line. We can now use the browser to get reports with the latest update. I also have information from up to four years ago regarding the fax statistics. This shows me that the fax volume is decreasing.

We have the PDF option. I can see all the faxes which come through by finding the corresponding PDF file.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in the GFI FaxMaker console where the fax came from or was sent. Right now, I can only investigate the log file, make a record from it, and search by Excel when there was a fax.

We have 100 faxes from SAP which go out at some point over two lines and this takes about an hour. I don't see the log file for when the fax has arrived in the fax queue, only when it has been sent. It would sometimes be helpful to see how long it took until the fax was sent. Currently, once the action has been complete, I am unable to view it in the logs.

More than 10 years.

It is a stable solution.

I maintain this solution by myself.

We have about 50 people using the FaxMaker solution. We don't send so many faxes. We receive more faxes than we send.

We have reduced it from two years ago from 2000 faxes a month to about a thousand faxes a month. It's reducing, but it's working fine.

We have a partner who does other work for us. They are also a Microsoft partner. If we need any support, we receive it quickly. I have a problem about once a year, and it is usually solved in two to three hours.

Before we had this solution, we used an Austrian product.

The initial setup was not so complex. We had a partner helping us.

We have reduced 10 fax machines to three. To set them up to the GFI FaxMaker, we had to change the fax number to the GFI number. I spend about six days a year on GFI.

We have a partner, Consit, who installed the latest version. We did an update three months ago. If needed, they come onsite to us. I would recommend them.

We do the administration on our own, but it is easy to administrate.

We have seen ROI with this solution.

I remember that about 20 years ago there was one person who used to spend the day working on loading faxes into the fax machine. This solution makes life easier.

We have about 1000 faxes a month, which would take three minutes to send manually. This is 3000 minutes or 50 hours a month that the company saves by using GFI FaxMaker. To manually fax would cost us a 1000 euros a month and the license costs us a 100 euros a month, so we are saving 900 euros a month. That is a bit over 10,000 euros a year. Therefore, I think it is worth it to have it.

It is worth its price.

If you take a three year license, it will save you a little money. However, some people say, "Fax is dead." I recommend not to overbook it. While we had a need to add more licenses than we had before, it depends on the company's need.

We have added some new licenses this year. We are only using 75 licenses. At our location, we have about 50 employees.

What other advice do I have?

The only rule that we have setup is that an administrator gets an email.

I am not sure that we will go on the solution's OCR option. With the faxes sent with the SAP system, we can see the delivery node, invoice, etc. Therefore, we don't need to store it twice.

I would rate the solution as a nine (out of 10).

Learn what your peers think about GFI FaxMaker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RW
IT Professional / Team Leader at Aos Stahl GmbH und Co Kg
Provides a mobile solution for our employees when on the road, but a push-install option for setup would help

• "Since any of our employees can sign in to FaxMaker from anywhere around the world, if they have the software on their computer, they pretty much take their fax machine with them. It's very mobile."
  • "It would be nice if the server provided a self-deploying package, as an MSI. Maybe the updated versions have it, but if you are connecting to a new machine and you want FaxMaker installed on it, you would just connect the server and it would do a push-install. That would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

We sell steel fences, steel gates, and the like. We have to work with a lot of companies that design gardens for people. Naturally, those companies are pretty small and their equipment is pretty old, and they like to receive a fax instead of an email because that way they have it printed in their hands. They can put their signature on it and put it back into the fax machine and send it to us.

It's mostly for the sales department.

How has it helped my organization?

A big advantage of FaxMaker is that it replaces hardware-based faxes. For us, setting up hardware-based faxes is pretty annoying.

Since any of our employees can sign in to FaxMaker from anywhere around the world, if they have the software on their computer, they pretty much take their fax machine with them. It's very mobile.

We're sending about five faxes a day as a company. In terms of time-savings, overall, it saves us somewhere on the order of six hours a month, as a broad estimate.

What is most valuable?

Once it's up and running, it's pretty convenient. There's a simple, major rule and that is: If you can print it then you can also send it as a fax, because FaxMaker is actually a printer, and that's very convenient.

The management console is pretty straightforward. It's pretty easy to handle, even if our version's management console is a bit old.

It enables us to fax via email and similar systems, that's how we do it. It has Exchange integration as far as I know, and that's its major use. You receive a fax as an email and you can send an email as a fax. That's the whole point of it, for us at least. The ability to send faxes this way saves us time. The only better way to do it would be to not send faxes at all.

I have been using GFI FaxMaker for the last three years, which is as long as I've been at the company, but I believe the company has had it for six or seven years.

So far, it has been running pretty smoothly. It's doing what it's supposed to. We've never had any problems.

It's easy to replicate to other users. We have 68 users on 70 licenses. It's used mostly by sales, but purchasing and quality management also use it within our company.

It would be nice if the server provided a self-deploying package, as an MSI. Maybe the updated versions have it, but if you are connecting to a new machine and you want FaxMaker installed on it, you would just connect the server and it would do a push-install. That would be nice.

I haven't had to use GFI's technical support for FaxMaker.

We did not have a previous solution.

The deployment was pretty easy.

I haven't done the setup for quite some time now because we are using a type of instant-clone technology where I only have to set it up once, on one computer, and that computer gets cloned in real-time if we need to add new users. So I don't have to redo it all the time. But in the past, it took me about 10 minutes to set it up on one computer. I'm only talking about the client setup, when the server is already there.

The server may take a little longer, but I didn't have to do that. It was already installed when I arrived here.

The IT department maintains the solution. There are two people involved with FaxMaker, registering new users and managing the fax numbers.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy, especially for the older generation, even though we in IT would like to get rid of it as soon as we could. But that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Currently, we're not using the solution’s OCR (optical character recognition) option to convert faxes to editable and searchable text, but that would be an interesting feature for our document integration in the future. We're not using it right now because the number of faxes we receive is declining.

Axel Wittich
Manager of IT and Operations at B E S T Fluidsysteme GmbH
A stable solution to get faxes into our document management system

• "It is rather stable, and we need a stable solution to get faxes into our document management system. You just use it and don't have to fool around with it."
  • "This is used as a legacy system. I don't think there will be that many faxes going forward. On the other side of the chain (with invoices), we have a postage stamp machine that has a similar career. Basically, everything is not online, as nobody receives faxes anymore."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for receiving from our fax gateway and dropping faxes into our email service.

We are a sales company with many customers who work directly at workbenches and workshops. Therefore, we still receive a lot of orders from fax. It's declining, but we still do. We have a fax gateway, which is hooked up to the GFI software, and it simply gets the faxes and drops them into the FaxMaker. FaxMaker puts them in a folder where our document management system picks them up. It also makes sure that everything works and sends them out in an email.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

We needed a project which reliably transfers faxes from the fax gateway into our document management system. That was basically the thing we were looking for, and it needed to be stable.

We have a document management system with DocuWare where there is a special entry for faxes that simply drops into our process chain. There is no need to email stuff around. Though these are not personalized faxes, just company faxes. This is not like a personal fax.

This is for company entry and not distributed personally. Faxes are sorted for departments, e.g., the technical ones go to the technical department.

What is most valuable?

It is rather stable, and we need a stable solution to get faxes into our document management system. You just use it and don't have to fool around with it.

What needs improvement?

This is used as a legacy system. I don't think there will be that many faxes going forward. On the other side of the chain (with invoices), we have a postage stamp machine that has a similar career. Basically, everything is not online, as nobody receives faxes anymore.

We have been using FaxMaxer for seven years now.

It is low maintenance, which is good. While it runs on its machine, if you maintain that machine, then you don't have to do much with it.

Our IT just looks after the server for a while. There is nothing to be done until there are some updates, etc.

We are a small company. We have one fax number working with it that drops it out in one output bin. We use this thing to automate our faxes. The company has 30 employees, but nobody uses it personally.

The whole faxing thing is on the decline. It is mostly email now, as nobody uses faxes anymore. When I started in 2012, we received like 80 to 250 faxes a week. Now, it's like 20 a month.

We used the technical support once last week, and it was good. We got what we wanted.

We were looking for a solution for the tool that we had before because it was no longer supported. Our IT partner suggested FaxMaker, and we went with it.

Our IT partner did the setup. We had FaxMaker installed, and it ran.

It is hard to tell if we have seen ROI. We need the fax gateway so it is part of the return of investment, but it's not a big invest. It's deep in the back-end.

There are a gazillion fax applications. We installed this solution, and it works. I don't think we did a big market research until we bought the license again. For three years, it is about 1,000 euros. It is not dirt cheap, but the price is not bad.

What other advice do I have?

It does what it should. It is stable and you don't have to maintain it that much.

Outgoing taxes are handled differently. We don't use FaxMaker for that. We don't send that many faxes anymore. Basically, we use a printer, where we print it out and the printer faxes it out.

These are not for personal faxes.

I would rate it a 10 (out of 10). It does what we need and is stable.

CS
Help Desk Supervisor at a construction company with 201-500 employees
We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and continue faxing

• "It lets us continue using fax without having to keep POTS lines in place. We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and all we have is internet connections and phone lines."
  • "It was a little rough in the beginning when we first deployed it. It would just stop working and we'd have to restart the server. It didn't throw an error; it just wouldn't work... Better error reporting would be an improvement that I would like to see."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backwards compatibility with some of our clients who don't necessarily use email much. We still work with some very small companies that are fax-based.

How has it helped my organization?

It lets us continue using fax without having to keep POTS lines in place. We've been able to get rid of POTS lines altogether and all we have is internet connections and phone lines. We're all SIP and VoIP now.

What is most valuable?

Faxing through email would be the best feature it has.

What needs improvement?

I don't think there are any features that need to be added.

We've had FaxMaker for at least five years now.

It's been pretty stable overall. It was a little rough in the beginning when we first deployed it. It would just stop working and we'd have to restart the server. It didn't throw an error; it just wouldn't work. We'd have to restart the server and then it would start working again, so that was a little bit rough. Better error reporting would be an improvement that I would like to see.

Lately, it hasn't happened much. It might have been the volume we were doing at the time. We do much less faxing now than we did then.

It's random, so that's the hard part. It just randomly stops working. Unless you're watching it, you don't know when it does it. Until I get a message that says my fax didn't go through, I don't know that the system is not working. There's no crash-dump reporting that I can find.

We just have one server and we don't have to scale it.

We have about 90 users. They range from an IT guy, like me, to the president of the company. Everybody has the ability to email a fax. It's just a server access point. We don't have to deploy any software to people's machines for them to use it, but only the users in the office use it.

I haven't used technical support.

Our phone system actually handled fax for us before we went to GFI. The solution was recommended to us by the consultant company that came in and replaced our phone system.

I was not involved in the original deployment. My previous boss did it. I know he had a third-party consultant come in and assist on it, so I'm guessing it was a little bit complex.

I'm involved in the maintaining of it and I'm the only one who does so in our company.

The ROI is that we still have fax abilities. If we didn't have GFI, we would not have fax in the building. We don't even have POTS lines in our new location, so I couldn't just fire up a fax machine.

We pay yearly and the cost is about $2,800.

We did look at actually keeping hard fax lines, but this was a better solution for our company at the time. We went with FaxMaker for cost reasons when compared to having to keep multiple POTS lines.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to take your time and make sure you have the setup right.

The biggest lesson I've learned from using this solution is that fax is still used today in business, surprisingly. It's an outdated solution, but it's still the most secure for certain things, as crazy as that sounds.

I would rate it at about an eight out of 10, only because of the fact that we had quite a few crashes and poor error response. But it works.

RK
Senior Network Administrator at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Stable solution that is easy to scale up and across users

• "The initial setup is not complex; it is clear and uncomplicated. If you can install software, then you can install FaxMaker."
  • "It is usable only with a local system. When everything is in the cloud, nobody uses it."

What is our primary use case?

We are working with a customer in the SMS domain. This is for incoming and outgoing faxes. Therefore, our developer has developed an application that will automatically send a fax from the application via FaxMaker. It makes a copy to the phone system, which sends it out externally. It is also the same for our two customers. Though at the moment, only one of our customers works with it because the other customer is moving all their systems to the cloud.

Now, our telephone provider, who is our line provider, has proposed fax to email. This way, the customer can send fax directly from Outlook to a fax, which may not be local. Therefore, the customers has fax to mail and mail to fax.

We are using the latest version. We try to update it all the time.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a way that we can communicate with the customer. Though, there are many other ways to communicate with them, like email or Teams. Not that many people work with fax anymore, and in some years, fax will be finished.

The solution is internal so we use it to meet security requirements.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, but we don't use a lot of FaxMaker's features. It is easy to see how many faxes are coming in. The reports are okay.

It is a good, stable product.

What needs improvement?

The issue is, "Who wants to use faxes?" In the future, no one will send faxes. This is a problem. We only use it because some customers want to send faxes, and it is only for this. If the customer has the possibility to send something via email, it is better. In the future, there won't be any paper in the office.

I have been working for the company for six years. The product has been with the company longer than six years.

It is stable.

There are two people who maintain this solution, my colleague and me.

It is easy to scale up and across users. At the moment, everybody can use FaxMaker. We mostly use it for incoming faxes, not for sending faxes.

We do not use the solution too much. Some days, there are no faxes. While other days, there are one to three faxes, but not more than that. On average, there is a fax a day.

We use the technical support. The support is good for GFI and its products.

I think this was the first fax product the company used.

My previous company had another solution that worked fine.

It is easy to configure. In one hour, you can configure the fax.

We get the solution directly from the provider. Thus, we don't need a server for it. There is no installation to do.

We have not seen ROI.

The price is okay. Other products are more expensive.

The configuration was different with the previous software that I used.

What other advice do I have?

The product is okay and working fine. Everything that we want to do with the product, we can do it.

We also use GFI MailEssentials.

It is possible to use rules within the solution to route incoming faxes based on the sender’s ID and phone number, but we don't use this feature.

I would rate the product as an eight or nine (out of 10).